Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2023, 18:53   #31
BHPian

Re: 2023 MG Hector Facelift Review | 1.5L Petrol CVT

Hello, I am a MT guy so my opinion about Hector is purely on manual transmission, which I have briefly driven.

I think Hector (facelift) is one of the few most sorted products launched since 2020. Every vehicle has certain USPs and negatives and it depend on the manufacturer which segment they are targeting. Hector is strictly meant for family class. I have driven Hector Petrol manual and found it 'almost' at par with my Honda City VMT. Since my drive was within the city hence can't comment on highway manners (above 90kmph), but within city (under 80kmph) it is fantastic to drive. My 95% annual drive of around 18000km is within city so for someone like me who like spacious and family oriented vehicle, Hector is just perfect. Surprisingly on my few 15-20 km drives in Hector manual I always get 13+ fuel efficiency in Delhi-Noida route (in this route I never get less than 16.5 in my honda city)

China, though have some amazing innovative products but they are highly inspired or copied from West when it comes to Mobile & Automobiles. We all know what they have achieved in mobile just by copying Apple. In automobile China is copying exterior of USA, interior quality of Germans, customer care of Japan & Korea, value for money of India and I think they are lacking behind in engineering, particularly suspension (just like in mobile they are lacking in software).

The biggest challenge for MG India is people's perception on a Chinese brand and lack of products under 10 lacs. It is a common fact that more people watch your brand on road, more people buy your products.

MG India is doing reasonable sales, for a new entrant in India and as per sheet attached here (prepared by me), they are doing better than the established old players. Time will tell how far they go, but I think MG India has potential to consistently keep 5% to 7% market share once their supply chain issues are resolved.
Attached Thumbnails
2023 MG Hector Facelift Review | 1.5L Petrol CVT-sales-nov.jpg  

GoBabyGo is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th February 2023, 20:23   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_2025 View Post
Anyone who has taken delivery and can access the owners manual, is there any clarity on the engine being BS VI Phase II compliant? No SA seems to know the answer to this question
Hi Amit! My registration form says "Bharat Stage VI". I'm not sure whether cars with BS VI stage 2 will have stage 2 mentioned in registration form. Any car that is already coming with it? Maybe their owners can confirm what should be mentioned.

However, stage 2 only adds requirement of providing OBD pre-installed in all cars for real time check on emissions. It will lead to further increase in ex-sh costs.
manpreetsj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2023, 23:27   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBabyGo View Post
The biggest challenge for MG India is people's perception on a Chinese brand and lack of products under 10 lacs. It is a common fact that more people watch your brand on road, more people buy your products.

MG India is doing reasonable sales, for a new entrant in India and as per sheet attached here (prepared by me), they are doing better than the established old players. Time will tell how far they go, but I think MG India has potential to consistently keep 5% to 7% market share once their supply chain issues are resolved.
Nice work on the numbers!

But there is a flaw there in the analysis of numbers - MG is the most ultra urban of the mass market brands , they have very well chalked out their target market - they cannot be compared to brands like Hyundai or Mahindra or Tata etc who cater to varying demographic.

MG themselves was a case study of how none of the brands attributes or origin etc did not matter because the product, sales and after service was so good that buyers were ready to overlook the brand itself - a whopping success initially! So being British isn't a problem either. After forcing Tata to reinvent harrier and release the 2.0 with AT and panoramic sunroof, MG sat idle, no clue why for a brand with such extensive access to automobile supply chain in the home country!
Kosfactor is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 15th February 2023, 10:24   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Booked the Savvy Pro in Black yesterday, no commited delivery date, though SA is saying that I should get it by end of March.

The only respite is that I can get the insrance from outside which should save me around 40K on the overall price. Now the wait begins.
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2023, 18:08   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
What clutch mechanism does the transmission use if there is no Torque Converter? Usually CVTs have a Torque Converter, a reason for their low FE when used in stop and go traffic.
Yes, it uses a Torque Converter Clutch. This has been corrected in the review. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shobhit.shri View Post
Hearing this for the first time! So now if somebody has stolen my phone, they have also got the car?
Most of the connected car apps need a pin to access the remote features. Just be sure that you have a different pin for your phone and the connected car app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoi View Post
Shame, MG dropped one of the most unique shades in the marked for a shade of brown . I quiet liked the burgundy, it reminded me the porsche's Amethystmetallic.
Agree with you. The Burgundy shade was truly unique.
Omkar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 05:13   #36
BHPian

Guys ! Have been a long time lurker on the forums, but posting for the first time - since I have specially become a member - to give an ownership review of the MG Hector Plus - 2023 Facelift version - 6 seater Petrol AT. The variant is Sharp Pro.

I'm not attaching any photos/videos of the car since they are available aplenty on the net, and also since I'm writing this on a phone. If anyone wants any specific photos or videos to subtantiate what I have written below, I'd be happy to click it for you.

We were looking for a car in this segment, and although I really REALLY wanted to buy another Seltos GT Diesel (It's a wonderful car), but due to waiting times, we took delivery of the Hector Plus on the next day of booking the car (booked on 24th Jan, got delivery on 25th Jan). Reason we didn't go in for the top variant was that we didn't want to waste 2L on ADAS - which to me is a gimmick since we already have the XUV700AXL. I have driven the car for 1152 Km till now, and here's the no holds barred version:

The Positives :

1. The car is good looking from all sides. The rear lights look awesome !

2. Interiors are very good looking (but painful to operate, more on that later).

3. The ride quality is good and the cabin is very quiet under 60-70kmph. Above 70ish, there is a good amount of road noise.

4. Turbo Flutter - from day 1, if i lightly press the accelerator and then stop pressing it, I hear the gorgeous stututu sound from the turbo. Now I don't know whether this can damage the turbo or not (internet searches are confusing), but yeah this happens. I love listening to it, but I don't know if I'm going to be in trouble later.

The Negatives :

1. The main screen is painfully slow - so much so to the point that I once timed the screen from a cold start to full functionality - it took 36 seconds ! 36 full seconds before I could push any button on the screen.

2. AC Recirculation - the ventilation system switches from internal ventilation to external ventilation every time you start the car. Every time !!
And then you have to painfully wait for the screen to start working, then click on the AC controls, and then click on the ventilation mode - which is a pain again since even if you click on the button properly, you have to push on it 2 or 3 times to get the desired response.

3. AC vents position - The position of the central vent for the driver is behind the steering - so you will never get a straight draft of air on your face. It will hit the steering only - all this just to have a big screen.

4. Fuel Lid - there is a very very small (maybe 5-6mm long) notch to hang the fuel lid - without it touching the body. This is not such a big issue, but can lead to scratches on the body in the longer run with the fuel lid hanging on the body.

5. Gear Shift delay - When you shift from P to either D or R, or from R to D and vice versa also, you have to wait for about 4-5 seconds and then it shifts into the proper gear. Very irritating!

6. Steering Wheel is very thin - doesn't have any meat to it. Feels very weird and uncomfortable.

7. Since the central screen is so big, it is a distraction all the time. Best option is to switch it off by long pressing on the home button, but if you do that, you can not operate the steering wheel volume buttons, or skip songs/change FM stations if the screen is off. You have to again switch on the screen to do anything.

8. Seat Lumbar Support is horrible. For the first 10-12 days, my back ached terribly having driven the car. It has become better by now, but I'm guessing that is due to me getting used to it, or maybe the seat lumbar support getting a bit pushed down.

9. Second row seats don't tumble - which means in order to get to the third row, you have to climb the cabin, bend down and walk between the 2 captain seats and into the third row.

10. Fuel Efficiency is shown only on the app, and not in the car - which I feel is weird !

11. Rear camera shows a delayed picture - it's not a delay in showing the real situation behind your car.
When you shift to R, it shows you a "static" view for about 2 to 3 seconds - which was the view 1-2 seconds before you shifted to R - and not what it currently is.
I'll explain : If I shift to R, and there was nothing behind the car before I shifted to R, it will show me empty space on the camera. If I immediately proceed to press the accelerator, there are chances that I will run into something which could have come behind my car in the last 3-4 seconds.

12. High speed warning - The high speed warning on 80 and 120 is shown on the driver's screen (behind the steering). It shows the warning constantly non-stop till you come below 80. During that time, you can not see your tyre pressure, cruise control settings, and all other things on that screen.
Extension to this point - suppose you are coasting in D, the speed will gradually reduce. The 80 speed warning does not go away till about 67 - 68.

13. Fonts - To a person with good eyesight, it looks good but there is a mix-up between 5, 6 and 8 for people with reading glasses. Mom pressed on the brake pretty hard one time - thinking that she had reached 80 - where in fact she was on 50-something.

14. Body roll is a big concern above speeds of 60-70kmph.

15. The "Turn Traction Control OFF" button is conveniently placed between hazard lights button and copassenger seat ventilation button. Since we use seat ventilation extensively, it has happened once that i accidentally pushed the traction control off button. Placement of this very dangerous button should have been at a hard to reach place.

All in all, if I could go back a month, I would not buy this car, and I would strongly suggest everyone to experience these issues in person before deciding to book/buy the car.

Last edited by Eddy : 2nd March 2023 at 11:01. Reason: Spacing for better readability
Dcsastudent is offline   (61) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 09:36   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcsastudent View Post
12. High speed warning - The high speed warning on 80 and 120 is shown on the driver's screen (behind the steering). It shows the warning constantly non-stop till you come below 80. During that time, you can not see your tyre pressure, cruise control settings, and all other things on that screen.
I own 2021 Hector. In my case if I press ‘OK’ button the warning disappears both for 80 and 120

And regarding AC Recirculation I think you have kept your AC on ‘Auto’ mode. Maybe that is the reason
Tanmay_868 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 09:39   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay_868 View Post
I own 2021 Hector. In my case if I press ‘OK’ button the warning disappears both for 80 and 120

And regarding AC Recirculation I think you have kept your AC on ‘Auto’ mode. Maybe that is the reason
Hey !

The warning doesn't go, no matter what I do. I'm willing to learn how to do it if someone has achieved that.

Also, the AC is in manual mode, plus it has nothing to do with manual or auto, since every time you start the car, it goes to external ventilation. Asked the SC guys, asked the sales guys, even the customer care callled me back regarding this, but no one has a solution.
Dcsastudent is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 11:33   #39
BHPian

Quote:
- to give an ownership review of the MG Hector Plus - 2023 Facelift version - 6 seater Petrol AT. The variant is Sharp Pro.

The Negatives :
2. AC Recirculation - the ventilation system switches from internal ventilation to external ventilation every time you start the car. Every time !!

5. Gear Shift delay - When you shift from P to either D or R, or from R to D and vice versa also, you have to wait for about 4-5 seconds and then it shifts into the proper gear. Very irritating!

7. Since the central screen is so big, it is a distraction all the time. Best option is to switch it off by long pressing on the home button, but if you do that, you can not operate the steering wheel volume buttons, or skip songs/change FM stations if the screen is off. You have to again switch on the screen to do anything.

11. Rear camera shows a delayed picture - it's not a delay in showing the real situation behind your car.

13. Fonts - Mom pressed on the brake pretty hard one time - thinking that she had reached 80 - where in fact she was on 50-something.

15. The "Turn Traction Control OFF" button is conveniently placed between hazard lights button and copassenger seat ventilation button.Placement of this very dangerous button should have been at a hard to reach place.

All in all, if I could go back a month, I would not buy this car, and I would strongly suggest everyone to experience these issues in person before deciding to book/buy the car.
Some of the points from this list are simply terrifying.

Points 2,5,7,11,12,13,15.

Especially point 7,11,15. Those are enough to make the car quite unsafe.
kadanaJ is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 11:42   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay_868 View Post

Update - I tried pressing OK when the 80/120 warning came, and after pressing OK twice, the warning on the screen went away. Thank bro for this idea!

No solution to the ventilation issue, though. With renewed enthusiasm, I again tried everything, but no solution. Even if the blower is off, at the next start, it will turn on the outer ventilation, and then air at very slow speeds will start coming into the cabin when the car starts moving.

No correlation with Auto or manual mode.
Dcsastudent is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 12:11   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

[b]-----SNIP-----

The Negatives :
1. The main screen is painfully slow - so much so to the point that I once timed the screen from a cold start to full functionality - it took 36 seconds ! 36 full seconds before I could push any button on the screen.

Only partial workaround I have found is to unlock the car from as far as possible.

And then you have to painfully wait for the screen to start working, then click on the AC controls, and then click on the ventilation mode - which is a pain again since even if you click on the button properly, you have to push on it 2 or 3 times to get the desired response.
Have you set the direction to the windscreen, through any combination? If you set it to face or feet, it starts off in the mode (vent or recirc) that you leave it in.

3. AC vents position - The position of the central vent for the driver is behind the steering - so you will never get a straight draft of air on your face. It will hit the steering only - all this just to have a big screen.

Yes, I think for the bigger screen, the vents have been move further apart. Doesn't happen in the older gen.

Have a manual, so dont know. However, no-one in the hector group on FB has complained about this, so you had best get it checked. Doesn't sound normal by any measure.

6. Steering Wheel is very thin - doesn't have any meat to it. Feels very weird and uncomfortable.

I concur. Though have gotten used to it now.

Very personal issue true for you. But again, i dont find it distracting any more after 2 years.

8. Seat Lumbar Support is horrible. For the first 10-12 days, my back ached terribly having driven the car. It has become better by now, but I'm guessing that is due to me getting used to it, or maybe the seat lumbar support getting a bit pushed down.

Same as above.

10. Fuel Efficiency is shown only on the app, and not in the car - which I feel is weird !

I thought the autos showed the mileage in the car. I know that they discontinued this in the petrol manuals for some godforsaken reason. However, T2T is the best method, and I use that, so dont really miss it.

When you shift to R, it shows you a "static" view for about 2 to 3 seconds - which was the view 1-2 seconds before you shifted to R - and not what it currently is.
I'll explain : If I shift to R, and there was nothing behind the car before I shifted to R, it will show me empty space on the camera. If I immediately proceed to press the accelerator, there are chances that I will run into something which could have come behind my car in the last 3-4 seconds.

Have not really noticed this. In the older gen, again.

Extension to this point - suppose you are coasting in D, the speed will gradually reduce. The 80 speed warning does not go away till about 67 - 68.

May be worth it get this checked. The 80 and 120 screen display goes away if you press OK, but the chimed continue.

Known issue, I believe.
mayankk is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 13:53   #42
BHPian

Quote:

13. Fonts - To a person with good eyesight, it looks good but there is a mix-up between 5, 6 and 8 for people with reading glasses. Mom pressed on the brake pretty hard one time - thinking that she had reached 80 - where in fact she was on 50-something.
These are major issues, and I think the gear shift delay would be quite difficult to live with and something not easily fixable.
The high speed warnings, and rear camera delays might be things that might be fixed later with software updates, but the gear shift delay is a really painful one. In some AMTs I have noticed a 1-2s delay and even that I feel is too much. It becomes a real pain in 3 point turns and in situations where you are pulling onto the main road from a parking. I cannot understand the reason for this delay here in a CVT. I usually drive a Toyota Corolla Altis CVT and have driven the CVTs by Honda. In both of these, the gear change is immediate from R-D or P.
the.dogfather is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 15:32   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

I test drove the Hector extensively, but never experienced the point 5, maybe try another test drive car and make sure it is not an isolated issue.
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 16:18   #44
BHPian

Quote:
The Negatives :

Those are some very good observations. Thank you. Only if you drive the car for a few days, you will notice them and there is no way of finding these during a test drive. The XUV3OO has the same problem with AC vents, I find it irritating that the flow of air is to the steering wheel and not the face of the driver. I wouldn't buy a car that has the AC recirculation issue and the screen being so slow.
Raghu M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 21:17   #45
BHPian

Quote:
The Negatives :
Thanks for sharing. I own Hector Savvy Pro. Have added my observations on your negatives.

I have not noticed any delay in using screen. It starts in 10 to 15 secs in worst case. Only issue is with AC controls as these are small icons which don't register tap at times. But I am getting used to pressing voice command in a snap and getting AC controlled.

Have not faced this issue yet.

In Gurgaon I am still able to manage at 24C with blower speed at 1 or 2. Maybe will realise this issue in summers.

4. Fuel Lid - there is a very very small (maybe 5-6mm long) notch to hang the fuel lid - without it touching the body. This is not such a big issue, but can lead to scratches on the body in the longer run with the fuel lid hanging on the body.

Fraction sec delay is noticeable when switching to and from P. Otherwise it's smooth for me

Agreed. But getting used to it.

I prefer this massive screen. Only issue we feel is during night time it remains on brighter side. Tried reducing brightness but it resets.

I have been trying to find right height and recline position. It took me a month in previous car. Hence, will give this one some time too before I criticize it.

9. Second row seats don't tumble - which means in order to get to the third row, you have to climb the cabin, bend down and walk between the 2 captain seats and into the third row.
Have 5 seater - no comments.

T2T and App - two options are sufficient. Real time data may not bring material change my life.

Again, haven't noticed it till date.

Have driven mostly in city with max speed of 80kmph. Haven't faced any issues

15. The "Turn Traction Control OFF" button is conveniently placed between hazard lights button and copassenger seat ventilation button. Since we use seat ventilation extensively, it has happened once that i accidentally pushed the traction control off button. Placement of this very dangerous button should have been at a hard to reach place.

Give it time, your muscle memory will kick in.

I guess you should give new car some more time. At times we are too quick to judge and look at only negatives. All the best. Cheers!

Last edited by manpreetsj : 2nd March 2023 at 21:21.
manpreetsj is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed