Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
477,211 views Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2023, 11:50   #196
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 47
Thanked: 107 Times
Re: 2023 Hyundai Verna Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxton07 View Post
Yes, it does sharpen the throttle response which makes the engine eager for quicker acceleration. Its very addictive once you get a hold on it over ghats/ twisties.

BTW, do you own the turbo MT variant? If yes, pls let me know your views on the clutch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Tourer View Post
Can anyone share some feedback on the mileage from the Turbo owners please? Both MT and DCT.

I'm still on my first tank of fuel since delivery so am unable to ascertain the mileage. I don't normally believe the MID mentioned one as most times it's far from the truth
Planning along drive this weekend, shall get back with my observations on both the items.
BudgetFailure is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2023, 16:16   #197
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 17
Thanked: 17 Times
Re: 2023 Hyundai Verna Review

Hi guys!

Had a quick question w.r.t DCT. Since the car has auto hold, is it still recommended to shift it to N in traffic conditions? I usually let it be on D mode with auto hold if the car is expected to be still for like 30-seconds or a minute.

Asking this as there was a lot of talk about putting the car in N mode rather than holding the brake to avoid DCT over heating (for Creta).
v.bhomawat is offline  
Old 11th May 2023, 16:27   #198
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Ponda
Posts: 178
Thanked: 528 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Re: 2023 Hyundai Verna Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.bhomawat View Post
Hi guys!

Had a quick question w.r.t DCT. Since the car has auto hold, is it still recommended to shift it to N in traffic conditions? I usually let it be on D mode with auto hold if the car is expected to be still for like 30-seconds or a minute.

Asking this as there was a lot of talk about putting the car in N mode rather than holding the brake to avoid DCT over heating (for Creta).
Yes, it's recommended to switch to N if your car is going to be still for longer periods.

Auto hold is helpful on inclines and holds the vehicle from rolling back.
ToThePoint is offline  
Old 11th May 2023, 18:12   #199
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Chennai
Posts: 94
Thanked: 147 Times
Re: 2023 Hyundai Verna Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToThePoint View Post
Auto hold is helpful on inclines and holds the vehicle from rolling back.
I thought there is a different feature for that called Hill-Hold Assist? Its the same as Auto Hold? My understanding was that Auto Hold helps on flat surfaces and prevents the car from creeping forward in D mode.
ulag62442 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2023, 20:28   #200
BHPian
 
ashivas89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 158
Thanked: 744 Times
Re: 2023 Hyundai Verna Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
Secondly, I'm not sure ESP will induce rear end losing grip to achieve directional correctness. ESP is merely reacting to the wheels behaviour and can't predict how far the rear will slide once the slide begins- that part depends on the road surface and tyre. To me, that comments looks like a random jargon dump. Experts can advice in this regard.
My point exactly here (you've articulated it better though.. jargon dump ):

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5545499 (Volkswagen Virtus Review)
ashivas89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2023, 10:33   #201
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 111
Thanked: 214 Times
Re: 2023 Hyundai Verna Review

Folks,

Need your advice here - Picked up a SX DCT in starry night color. What do you recommend for external paint protection - ceramic coating , PPF or both ? ( I have already got the under body done). And a good place to get it done ( I live in Central Bangalore). Thanks in advance.

Last edited by FAIAAA : 13th May 2023 at 10:34. Reason: Additional text
FAIAAA is online now  
Old 13th May 2023, 11:45   #202
BHPian
 
Grand Tourer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2023
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 56
Thanked: 118 Times
Re: 2023 Hyundai Verna Review

Could anyone help explain how the ISG works with the DCT please? It's a bit confusing since, at a traffic stop, I press the brake pedal further to engage the auto hold. At this point the engine shuts. Auto hold is also engaged. My notion is that I can take my leg off the brake pedal as autohold is doing its things now. This happens in both D and N.

But the moment I take my leg off the brake pedal, the engine starts up. Either my concept of this is incorrect or I'm doing it wrong. Thanks in advance for the advice.
Grand Tourer is online now  
Old 13th May 2023, 19:33   #203
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2023
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4
Thanked: 8 Times
Re: 2023 Hyundai Verna Review

My New Verna 2023 SXO IVT has clocked around 700 kms. The issue - The Highline TPMS is flashing a warning of low tyre pressure in from 2 tyres despite filling & checking the air pressure at two different petrol pumps which indicated the pressure to be around 34 psi as recommended. Anyone facing a same issue ? Any solution ? Also, the Entertainment Display Unit indicates no available memory space when I try to update the software . How does one in increase the memory?
Mack1970 is offline  
Old 13th May 2023, 21:38   #204
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 127
Thanked: 515 Times
Re: 2023 Hyundai Verna Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack1970 View Post
My New Verna 2023 SXO IVT has clocked around 700 kms. The issue - The Highline TPMS is flashing a warning of low tyre pressure in from 2 tyres despite filling & checking the air pressure at two different petrol pumps which indicated the pressure to be around 34 psi as recommended. Anyone facing a same issue ? Any solution ? Also, the Entertainment Display Unit indicates no available memory space when I try to update the software . How does one in increase the memory?
I am planning to buy the same version, can you share real world details like mileage, ease of driving in traffic and open roads etc.

TIA
SedateGuy is offline  
Old 13th May 2023, 22:00   #205
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 17
Thanked: 17 Times
Re: 2023 Hyundai Verna Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Tourer View Post
Could anyone help explain how the ISG works with the DCT please? It's a bit confusing since, at a traffic stop, I press the brake pedal further to engage the auto hold. At this point the engine shuts. Auto hold is also engaged. My notion is that I can take my leg off the brake pedal as autohold is doing its things now. This happens in both D and N.

But the moment I take my leg off the brake pedal, the engine starts up. Either my concept of this is incorrect or I'm doing it wrong. Thanks in advance for the advice.
Just give it a second more before taking off your foot off the pedal. I went through the same thing.
v.bhomawat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2023, 23:43   #206
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2023
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4
Thanked: 8 Times
Re: 2023 Hyundai Verna Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedateGuy View Post
I am planning to buy the same version, can you share real world details like mileage, ease of driving in traffic and open roads etc.

TIA
The model I have is a SXO IVT. My earlier cars were all manual and hence needed a bit of adjustment to switching to automatic (I had switched recently to an AMT i10 nios which helped)
My first impressions are mostly positive. In terms of driving in traffic, I found it easy to drive despite the increased dimensions - some of the ADAS features plus ISG, Hill Hold help on flyover traffic situations (although I have disabled the forward collision warning option as I found that in a couple of instances the brakes were slammed by both of us bringing the car to a rather abrupt stop !), The ADAS is something you get used to in a while and I don't find it intrusive even in Mumbai traffic - except the forward collision warning.
I read in quite a few reviews that the steering is not as confident inspiring as the other competitors - but having 2 prior Verna's (2006/2010 models), I find the steering much better, although I have to admit that the 2 spoke design is a bit confusing at times . Hyundai could have given a slight different contour like the Skodas to make it better.
The rest of the features are plenty - I miss the wireless Carplay/Android auto, the 360 degree camera as well as a front camera, instead of front sensors.
I have not yet driven the car out of Mumbai but had quite a few rounds on Mumbai's Eastern Freeway and quite enjoyed the ride. The cabin noise is very well managed & with a full 4 people load I could manoeuvre the odd sized speed breakers.
Lastly, in terms of mileage - city driving I am currently getting around 12-13 kmpl.

Overall, I am happy with my decision & although a lot has been said about the "polarising design", I quite liked it in flesh - the only change I would have made was "showcased" the headlights in a rather prominent way ... currently they are a bit lost in the grill (I found the headlight power, position adequate & appropriate, not overblinding as seen in comperitors )
Do take a test drive before deciding !
Mack1970 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2023, 00:58   #207
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 47
Thanked: 107 Times
Re: 2023 Hyundai Verna Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxton07 View Post
Yes, it does sharpen the throttle response which makes the engine eager for quicker acceleration. Its very addictive once you get a hold on it over ghats/ twisties.

BTW, do you own the turbo MT variant? If yes, pls let me know your views on the clutch.
I felt the clutch travel is quite a lot, specially compared with my previous car (tata tiago) but i got used to it. Though i have noticed a weird thing; whenever i am around 30kmph and abruptly leave the accelerator the engine/transmission judders a bit. Also, i felt that the MT lever is not as quick to shift, as at times it gets stuck in the middle position when doing quick shifts from 2-3 or 4-5 and vice versa.

Have you faced similar issues? Apart from these niggles the car was a breeze to drive on the highway and my average meter gave a 20+ average. Though tank to tank would give the accurate picture.


Another interesting thing was i turned on all the ADAS features today, and the driving turned out to be effort less with that. Perhaps a feature that can be easily used on our highways. Tomorrow gonna try out whether the profiles section maintains the ADAS settings or not, if it does i am going to create two profiles, highway with ADAS on and city with ADAS switched off.

Last edited by BudgetFailure : 14th May 2023 at 01:02. Reason: More info added
BudgetFailure is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2023, 11:11   #208
BHPian
 
Maxton07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Location: Chennai
Posts: 75
Thanked: 571 Times
Re: 2023 Hyundai Verna Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgetFailure View Post
I felt the clutch travel is quite a lot, specially compared with my previous car (tata tiago) but i got used to it. Though i have noticed a weird thing; whenever i am around 30kmph and abruptly leave the accelerator the engine/transmission judders a bit. Also, i felt that the MT lever is not as quick to shift, as at times it gets stuck in the middle position when doing quick shifts from 2-3 or 4-5 and vice versa.
Have you faced similar issues? Apart from these niggles the car was a breeze to drive on the highway and my average meter gave a 20+ average. Though tank to tank would give the accurate picture.
Yes, exactly. I also hate the late clutch bite when compared with our previous ride(Manza), as it leads to engine stall at some occasions. Let's say, I shift the gear from 2-3 which keeps the rpm @ 1k, if I press/leave the pedal aggressively it judders, if not it accelerates linearly without any jerks. And the gearbox is notchy while upshifting aggressively. Don't know whether it'll get resolved over the period. And there is always a correction of around 1kpl between MID and Fuelio.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgetFailure View Post
IAnother interesting thing was i turned on all the ADAS features today, and the driving turned out to be effort less with that. Perhaps a feature that can be easily used on our highways. Tomorrow gonna try out whether the profiles section maintains the ADAS settings or not, if it does i am going to create two profiles, highway with ADAS on and city with ADAS switched off.
Yeah, the ADAS is calibrated near to perfect specifically for Indian conditions. I remember an instance where an autowala overtook me and was moving ahead of my lane. Then the ADAS applied the brakes gently according to the situation rather slamming it abruptly. Though I was impressed by it, I always switch off most of the ADAS features except rear cross traffic alert and blindspot monitoring which I found non-intrusive while driving.
Maxton07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2023, 11:21   #209
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 38
Thanked: 133 Times
Re: 2023 Hyundai Verna Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxton07 View Post
What the hell did I see? Does the Verna corners so well that it outruns the competition? Discussions ON D

Watch from 1.00 minute
Well if you see this video a little closer, you will notice that Verna started the cornering well early than the VW twins. So much so that it's left wheel was not on the tarmac just at the point of turning.
samsristi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2023, 20:23   #210
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 47
Thanked: 107 Times
Re: 2023 Hyundai Verna Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxton07 View Post
Yeah, the ADAS is calibrated near to perfect specifically for Indian conditions. I remember an instance where an autowala overtook me and was moving ahead of my lane. Then the ADAS applied the brakes gently according to the situation rather slamming it abruptly. Though I was impressed by it, I always switch off most of the ADAS features except rear cross traffic alert and blindspot monitoring which I found non-intrusive while driving.
Just had an almost nightmarish experience thanks to ADAS. Was moving around 7-8kmph and the biker in front me stopped so i applied gradual brakes too, but i dont know why ADAS thought that emergency brakes have to be applied and the car came to a halt. Thankfully the biker behind me managed to apply the brakes also in time and there wasnt anyone behind him, otherwise today a slight rear bumper hit was confirmed. Have disabled the front collision safety for now, definitely not made for city, may be st a later point of time will try the "Late" setting for the same and share the experience.

Also, throughout the highway, the blind spot monitoring was very helpful and same can be said for the lane assist as well.

One thing that Hyundai could have done better was to have separate options for Warning and Control. Right now if you disable one, like blind spot safety warning and control option , it also disables the warning. There is no way to just prevent the ADAS from intruding and keep the warnings in place.

From a mileage perspective, managed to get 17.8 kmpl on my way to Pondicherry (which involved around 20% of city drives). Satisfied with the performance of the car, overtaking was a breaze, when i did not even push the car, was always less than 2200 rpm, and at time breached the 2500rpm mark. Hoping to complete the run in properly soon.


Observed the engine juddering issue a bit more and realised that it happens around 1100 rpm. Engine is fine above and below it but around that specific point it gives jerks no matter what gear, you leave the accelerator and jerks are observed. Has anyone else faced the issue ?

Last edited by BudgetFailure : 14th May 2023 at 20:26. Reason: Incomplete sentence removed, and added a niggle
BudgetFailure is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2023, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks