Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2023, 10:09   #241
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Chennai
Posts: 87
Thanked: 142 Times
Re: 2023 Hyundai Verna Review

I'm noticing a weird noise in my week old new Verna. Not sure if you guys are hearing it too. It's very faint and you won't really notice it unless you have the music turned off and noone is speaking. I hear a faint noise almost like the buzzing of an insect/cricket and it seems to be consistently there throughout the drive. Beyond a point I won't notice it as I am driving along but if I pay close attention I will hear it again. Not really sure where it is coming from. Should I go immediately and report this to the ASS or do I wait for first service to get this checked?
ulag62442 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2023, 11:09   #242
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 61
Thanked: 110 Times
Re: 2023 Hyundai Verna Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxton07 View Post
Exactly, I'm also facing the same issue in my steering. It has to be tilted slightly towards right to move straightways. Didn't notice it when I'm taking the steering control but while using the Lane keep assist function, I found it to be aligned off center. Have to check with the ASS soon and it would be great to hear your feedback post wheel alignment. And owners out here, pls check the same with your vehicle.
Believe it or not, I feel this issue is there on My Alcazar as well. I did not notice it at first, but my brother who took the car out for a spin on a highway immediately called me and pointed out that car leans towards left when the steering is dead centre and one has to tilt the steering very slightly to the right for the car to remain straight. I am going to take this up at my soon upcoming service.
Ays7 is offline  
Old 26th May 2023, 18:59   #243
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 40
Thanked: 63 Times
Re: 2023 Hyundai Verna Review

Just got my first service done. I had highlighted three issues, 1) engine juddering at 1k rpm, 2) steering/wheel alignment, 3) engine light had appeared in one of my trips when i stalled it.

For 1), they mentioned that they would need to reset something related to ECU (I was not able to catch that). I did not observe the juddering during the short drive to home, so i guess whatever they did worked, but would be able to comment better once i go on a long drive.

For 2) service centre folks spent close to 1hr fixing the wheel alignment, I would be able to comment on the actual status once I go on a long drive. (wheels were definitely not aligned properly as per the check today, not sure if the Hyundai QC is somehow missing this, given many owners have reported similar issue).

For 3) in one of the ECU checks, they revved the engine till 3k rpm while the device was connected, mentioned that it was to diagnose the issue i reported, though they were not able to retrieve anything from the logs. While going uphill in the last trip, i had stalled the vehicle and post that the engine light had come on, and stayed there for close to two hours. There was no change in vehicle behaviour experienced when that happened, possibly something transient occurred. I myself have refrained hitting 3k rpm intentionally, and here it was parked and being revved for 10 seconds. Though I will start opening the engine slightly now, upto 3k, not more than that before 2000km.


Apart from that, it seemed the service folks did not have any idea about ADAS, they were clueless about a few MID icons and i had to tell them what it meant. (It was the first new Verna that they serviced).

Also, one thing i got to know is that all the issues are dealt with free of cost in the first service of the vehicle.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ulag62442 View Post
I'm noticing a weird noise in my week old new Verna. Not sure if you guys are hearing it too. It's very faint and you won't really notice it unless you have the music turned off and noone is speaking. I hear a faint noise almost like the buzzing of an insect/cricket and it seems to be consistently there throughout the drive. Beyond a point I won't notice it as I am driving along but if I pay close attention I will hear it again. Not really sure where it is coming from. Should I go immediately and report this to the ASS or do I wait for first service to get this checked?

No noise here, in-fact the cabin feels very silent at times. Get it checked in your first service.

Last edited by BudgetFailure : 26th May 2023 at 19:09. Reason: added more info, and corrected sentence sequencing, added a quote as well
BudgetFailure is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2023, 19:32   #244
Newbie
 
TN07's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2023
Location: Chennai
Posts: 5
Thanked: 48 Times
Re: 2023 Hyundai Verna Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxton07 View Post
Exactly, I'm also facing the same issue in my steering. It has to be tilted slightly towards right to move straightways. Didn't notice it when I'm taking the steering control but while using the Lane keep assist function, I found it to be aligned off center. Have to check with the ASS soon and it would be great to hear your feedback post wheel alignment. And owners out here, pls check the same with your vehicle.
The car doesn't veer to the left now after the alignment when the wheel is centered. However, All said and done, I'm not too happy with the overall steering feedback. The car feels dead at the centre position and requires tiny tiny inputs even when I'm going in a straight line. Not sure if it is just my car or if the other owners are experiencing this too.
TN07 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th May 2023, 12:34   #245
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2023
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1
Thanked: 7 Times
Re: 2023 Hyundai Verna Review

I am a new member and this is my first comment.

Got my new Verna 2023 on 3rd May and it has been a delight since then. I am finding reasons to take her out whenever possible. She is an absolute beauty and a head turner for sure.

Many people have asked me if she was an electric car from the way she looks.

2023 Hyundai Verna Review-front.jpg

2023 Hyundai Verna Review-front-full.jpg

2023 Hyundai Verna Review-side.jpg

2023 Hyundai Verna Review-rear.jpg

The best angle to look at is from the side (my view) and she is so gorgeous.

Upgraded from my elite i20 2018 (1.2 NA) to Verna 2023 (1.5 Turbo). For me, these two vehicles are worlds apart in everything. Be it the power/space/features/interior/build quality/NVH/handling and I feel it as a worthy upgrade.

I haven't noticed any major issues so far (1.7k KMs on the ODO) apart from the gearbox getting confused for a second or two to choose the right gear when I pedal the accelerator to overtake in slight traffic.

One question to the fellow Verna owners. Is there any way to adjust the brightness / contrast of the reverse camera for the night time? as I find that option is disabled for night and is enabled only for the day time.
V_Nyx is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 01:49   #246
Newbie
 
TN07's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2023
Location: Chennai
Posts: 5
Thanked: 48 Times
Re: 2023 Hyundai Verna Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by V_Nyx View Post
One question to the fellow Verna owners. Is there any way to adjust the brightness / contrast of the reverse camera for the night time? as I find that option is disabled for night and is enabled only for the day time.
I think it enables/disables the settings based on the time of day. When I checked it tonight it gave me the option to adjust the brightness/ contrast for the night and not for the day.

2023 Hyundai Verna Review-unnamed.jpg
TN07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 07:24   #247
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Chennai
Posts: 87
Thanked: 142 Times
Re: 2023 Hyundai Verna Review

Some observations on fuel economy based on traffic patterns in city and highways on my Verna 1.5 Turbo Petrol. All readings from MID with a total of 500 kms covered.

WITHIN CITY:

Heavy slow moving traffic with a lot of stops and idling esp over shorter distances (even with engine start/stop): ~8 kmpl

Moderate traffic including frequent stops over medium distances (>5 kms): ~12 kmpl

Moderate traffic with few stops/signals over longer distances (>15kms): ~17 kmpl (this is my usual office route on ORR)


ON HIGHWAY:

City moderate traffic (20 kms) + highway (60 kms): ~20 kmpl

Only highway run (20 kms): ~26 kmpl

The Turbo is quite sensitive to the way its driven. Since I am in my run-in period, I'm mostly driving it sedately with a gradual linear throttle. Doing only a light feather touch on the accelerator except on the few occasions I need to accelerate. That's when the fuel economy is maximum. But the reading drops pretty rapidly when the car is stuck in traffic and stalled like at a long signal. I thought the engine start/stop will help optimize the fuel usage but clearly not happening. Any ideas from what you all are doing to optimize fuel economy in heavy traffic?

Last edited by ulag62442 : 29th May 2023 at 07:26.
ulag62442 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 23:51   #248
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 40
Thanked: 63 Times
Re: 2023 Hyundai Verna Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulag62442 View Post
Some observations on fuel economy based on traffic patterns in city and highways on my Verna 1.5 Turbo Petrol. All readings from MID with a total of 500 kms covered.

WITHIN CITY:

Heavy slow moving traffic with a lot of stops and idling esp over shorter distances (even with engine start/stop): ~8 kmpl

Moderate traffic including frequent stops over medium distances (>5 kms): ~12 kmpl

Moderate traffic with few stops/signals over longer distances (>15kms): ~17 kmpl (this is my usual office route on ORR)


ON HIGHWAY:

City moderate traffic (20 kms) + highway (60 kms): ~20 kmpl

Only highway run (20 kms): ~26 kmpl

The Turbo is quite sensitive to the way its driven. Since I am in my run-in period, I'm mostly driving it sedately with a gradual linear throttle. Doing only a light feather touch on the accelerator except on the few occasions I need to accelerate. That's when the fuel economy is maximum. But the reading drops pretty rapidly when the car is stuck in traffic and stalled like at a long signal. I thought the engine start/stop will help optimize the fuel usage but clearly not happening. Any ideas from what you all are doing to optimize fuel economy in heavy traffic?
Should we not consider the overall tank to tank mileage as the true reflection? I don't think any car would give a good mileage when being driven in heavy slow moving traffic with frequent stops, unless electric vehicle. I was able to get 15+ kmpl over 1,500 km that included 1) two outstation highway trips, ~1,100km, 2) multiple drives in moderate traffic, 3) One drive in heavy traffic, 3 hours, 36km. It seems decent enough for a 1.5L petrol engine. At times, my Tata Tiago gives lesser mileage. My readings are based on tank to tank method. Breaking it down into individual trips wouldn't be a true reflection in my opinion. Just to give you an idea, please look at below refuels, odo readings and corresponding mileage stats.

2023 Hyundai Verna Review-img_3034.jpg
First 400km

2023 Hyundai Verna Review-img_3035.jpg
Next 500km

2023 Hyundai Verna Review-img_3036.jpg
Next 600km (which involved major city driving)

ISG would only be helpful till a certain point in heavy traffic, as it tends to put pressure on battery and after a threshold would not come into play. In such a case you might want to just switch off the car, but do note, the actual fuel consumption/wastage happens when you are crawling in the traffic, and at that point there is hardly a thing one could do to save fuel.

Try to enjoy the drive, and look at the overall picture. Too many stats too frequently make the mind worry too much.
BudgetFailure is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 09:21   #249
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Chennai
Posts: 87
Thanked: 142 Times
Re: 2023 Hyundai Verna Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgetFailure View Post
Should we not consider the overall tank to tank mileage as the true reflection?
What you say is true but the reason I was tracking individual trips and not doing tank-to-tank is I wanted to better understand the car's fuel consumption behaviour and where it does well and where it does not and to what extent. This will help me align my driving style to the car as well. Overall I agree the mileage is good for a 1.5L turbo petrol engine and is almost comparable to my Honda Jazz which I thought was one of the more fuel-efficient petrol cars.
ulag62442 is offline  
Old 1st June 2023, 18:45   #250
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 38
Thanked: 104 Times
Re: 2023 Hyundai Verna Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulag62442 View Post
Some observations on fuel economy based on traffic patterns in city and highways on my Verna 1.5 Turbo Petrol. All readings from MID with a total of 500 kms covered.

WITHIN CITY:

Heavy slow moving traffic with a lot of stops and idling esp over shorter distances (even with engine start/stop): ~8 kmpl

Moderate traffic including frequent stops over medium distances (>5 kms): ~12 kmpl

Moderate traffic with few stops/signals over longer distances (>15kms): ~17 kmpl (this is my usual office route on ORR)


ON HIGHWAY:

City moderate traffic (20 kms) + highway (60 kms): ~20 kmpl

Only highway run (20 kms): ~26 kmpl

The Turbo is quite sensitive to the way its driven.
26kmpl on the highway is insane for any Hyundai petrol engine be it the humble 1.2L Kappa or this state-of-the-art 1.5L turbo petrol. Hard to believe! Please do a proper tank to tank test for all of us BHPians
Time_Machine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2023, 14:30   #251
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Delhi North
Posts: 6
Thanked: 3 Times
Re: 2023 Hyundai Verna Review

I am planning to buy Verna SX variant. I canít make a choice between NA and Turbo variant. This is going to be my first car. I have recently learned to drive (on a WagonR). As this will be my first car I want to have some fun also but considering the price difference of about 2 lakhs is it really worth it to spend that much for a turbo engine and DCT transmission?
pragunjain is offline  
Old 6th June 2023, 18:51   #252
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 92
Thanked: 377 Times
Re: 2023 Hyundai Verna Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by pragunjain View Post
I am planning to buy Verna SX variant. I canít make a choice between NA and Turbo variant. This is going to be my first car. I have recently learned to drive (on a WagonR). As this will be my first car I want to have some fun also but considering the price difference of about 2 lakhs is it really worth it to spend that much for a turbo engine and DCT transmission?
With all due respect, I'll be honest and dissuade you from getting the Turbo due to following reasons:
  • You have recently learned to drive. If I were in your shoes, I'd be anxious about handling 160ps as an amateur driver.
  • DCT needs a different style of driving in traffic, especially bumper-to-bumper, to prevent overheating and premature wear and tear of transmission box.
  • As you are a new driver, I assume you won't be hitting the highways anytime soon and quite often.

Having said that, NA with IVT is super easy to drive in city and in any traffic condition. Compared to WagonR, Hyundai NA engine is very refined and 115PS should still give you adequate "fun", even on highway drives.

At the end, the choice is yours. All the best choosing what's best for you
MyLife_MyCar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2023, 19:13   #253
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Delhi North
Posts: 6
Thanked: 3 Times
Re: 2023 Hyundai Verna Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLife_MyCar View Post
With all due respect, I'll be honest and dissuade you from getting the Turbo due to following reasons:
  • You have recently learned to drive. If I were in your shoes, I'd be anxious about handling 160ps as an amateur driver.
  • DCT needs a different style of driving in traffic, especially bumper-to-bumper, to prevent overheating and premature wear and tear of transmission box.
  • As you are a new driver, I assume you won't be hitting the highways anytime soon and quite often.

Having said that, NA with IVT is super easy to drive in city and in any traffic condition. Compared to WagonR, Hyundai NA engine is very refined and 115PS should still give you adequate "fun", even on highway drives.

At the end, the choice is yours. All the best choosing what's best for you
Thanks for the suggestion. Correct, my car will be mostly used in Delhi traffic and I have heard that DCT do have some reliability issues. Just one thing I am concerned about is the power of the engine

Last edited by graaja : 6th June 2023 at 19:29. Reason: Minor edit: punctuation
pragunjain is offline  
Old 6th June 2023, 22:13   #254
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2023
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 14
Thanked: 11 Times
Re: 2023 Hyundai Verna Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by pragunjain View Post
I am planning to buy Verna SX variant. I canít make a choice between NA and Turbo variant.
My simple advice is to buy NA engine. It has more than sufficient power. If you have recently learnt to drive. This will be a fun vehicle for you.
SeniorC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2023, 22:23   #255
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2023
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 14
Thanked: 11 Times
Re: 2023 Hyundai Verna Review

Just did a test drive of Verna 1.5 SXO DCT today. Will not say much as most of it has been covered in the official review as well as by other members. However, just to reiterate, the vehicle is quite and the ride is soft and comfortable. I wanted to try out the ADAS Stop and Go function but the SA as well as the Hyundai driver had no clue about it. Further, as mentioned earlier by other members, the steering was veering to the left. The reason given by SA was that since it is a two spoke steering wheel, it feels so ! Hope Hyundai trains it's staff in a better manner. Anyway, overall pleased with the vehicle.
SeniorC is offline   (1) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks