Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2023, 20:00   #496
BHPian

Re: 2023 Hyundai Verna Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhound82 View Post
Did you ceramic coat your windshield?
No, I did polishing long back. Nothing other than that. I have had the same problem with stock wiper and the changed frameless wiper. I even got one frameless wiper damaged because of this and got it replaced.
Old 8th October 2023, 08:03   #497
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V_Nyx View Post
No, I did polishing long back. Nothing other than that. I have had the same problem with stock wiper and the changed frameless wiper. I even got one frameless wiper damaged because of this and got it replaced.
Please take it to the ASC, it might be a simple case of bent wiper arm. Actually, can be a simple DIY, but suggest you to take it to Hyundai ASC.
getsurya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2023, 10:46   #498
BHPian

How are the stock tyres Alnac-4g on highways? Heard it's susceptible to sidewall damage easily. Kindly share some feedback.

Last edited by greyhound82 : 8th October 2023 at 10:47.
Old 8th October 2023, 13:03   #499
Kln
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem23 View Post

Verna becomes the first India-made Hyundai car to secure Global NCAP 5-star rating

I hope everyone knows and understands that only a company sponsored car test will be awarded a 5 star rating by GNCAP. While this doesn't necessarily mean that you can pay your way to get a 5 star, it does mean that to get a 5 star, you have to indeed sponsor a test car. If GNCAP itself purchases, and tests the car, even if it ticks all the boxes for a 5 star, it won't award it 5 stars.

More details on GNCAP -
Old 8th October 2023, 13:03   #500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeevith View Post

6. My car is black, so the black alloys on a black car back doesn't quite match. So going to probably swap them for the silver versions.
I am interested in the Turbo Verna except not a fan of the black alloys. Did you swap the alloys or at least found out how much it costs to swap?
Old 9th October 2023, 12:33   #501
Senior - BHPian

I believe the lead page of the BHP review needs to be updated to reflect the GNCAP status.
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2023, 13:27   #502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V_Nyx View Post
Anyone facing issue with the wipers? It judders a lot (driver side wiper). I changed the wiper to frameless and even that has the judder issue. Is there anything that needs to be done to fix it?
Looks like this is becoming a Hyundai/Kia feature.

My 2022 Hyundai Alcazar has terrible issues with the wiper. It judders, screeches and I do not want to ever engage the wiper even when it rains heavily. Multiple people have reported this on the Hyundai Alcazar thread as well.

I have got the wiper rubber blade replaced once and then the entire arm replaced. Both under warranty.

One thing I noted - to me it feels like the wiper arm bends when pressure washed. I think there is some quality issue with the wiper and it bend quickly. I am saying this because when the car was new in 2022 May there was absolutely no noise from the wiper. But once I had pressure washed it started. The same thing happened after the replacement. This time, I instructed the washing folks to ensure they dont pressure wash around the wiper and the issue has not occured in past 2 months. Fingers crossed.
Naetik30 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2023, 21:51   #503
BHPian

Hi folks,

I recently sold a remapped 2013 Rapid 1.6 L diesel that was making 140 BHP and 320 NM Torque and trying to get a replacement. My daily driver at present is a manual Kushaq Ambition 1.0 L. I also owned a Skoda Fabia in between. In short I have been more of a VAG fan. So I did try the Virtus 1.5 DSG and it drove like a rocket and handled very well too, but everything started to look similar internally and even the handling part, not that it is bad in any way!.

The Verna 1.5 DCT on the other hand looks way more futuristic and has better interiors in my opinion. I have also booked a Honda Elevate and drove the new Honda City as well. The DCT is definitely way more powerful and the City interior is showing its age, though it probably has the more comfortable seats! Honda Elevate will be mostly canceled since I believe it just feels like a cousin of the Kushaq and there is no way I will exchange a 1.5 year old Kushaq for the Elevate. TSI in my mind may not be as smooth as CVT or have that rev roar, but it has a mighty pull that reminds you of the original VAG 1.6 L TDI (Sounds like a truck but pulls like a train!). Refinement of the Hyundai Verna > City > VAG by a long distance. It is literally next level!

I have put down 10K INR as an advance for a starry blue 1.5 SX(O) DCT. Dealer is trying to make my take a very costly insurance of almost 90K including 3rd party, key loss, engine cover, personal belongings loss, etc. But, I have given them a screenshot of a HDFC ERGO where we get all this for 65K! Any advice on how to handle this will also be highly appreciated. I have driven cars since 1998 and this is my first Hyundai (brothers and cousins had several Hyundais like Santro Xing, Verna, but I never bought one!)

Could any of the recent 2023 Verna owners confirm if the GC is good enough for our Indian roads (Specifically Bangalore) and also if the handling is good enough for this sort of power? I hope it will not be a big compromise over the VAG cousins. If it is 80-90% of the VAG handling I will be happy. On a side note, Skoda is giving a matching quote to the Verna in terms of pricing for the 1.5L DSG. But mostly it will be the Hyundai this time!
Old 10th October 2023, 05:07   #504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteKing75 View Post
Could any of the recent 2023 Verna owners confirm if the GC is good enough for our Indian roads (Specifically Bangalore) and also if the handling is good enough for this sort of power? I hope it will not be a big compromise over the VAG cousins. If it is 80-90% of the VAG handling I will be happy. On a side note, Skoda is giving a matching quote to the Verna in terms of pricing for the 1.5L DSG. But mostly it will be the Hyundai this time!
Congratulations on the booking! I was in the same boat as you about 5 months ago. We had the 1.6 TDI which had done 1.5 Lakh Kms and when it was time to switch we booked the Virtus 1.5 DSG. In isolation the Virtus was very good (and it still) and had everything that we needed from an upgrade - More space, more power, decent handling and a more modern interior. It made absolute sense to stick with the booking and I did...for about 2 weeks but that's right about when the Verna was launched and a simple stroll the showroom made me change my mind.

I booked the car and got delivery of it in about 2 weeks. 5 months and 8K kms later I absolutely love the car for what it is- The car is quick, pulls relentlessly (think TDI ++. You're never left wanting for more), gearbox is right up there with the best in the segment, ride & handling is mature, the braking is sufficient, the steering while not exactly the best in the business is precise and does what you want it to do and refinement is top notch.

The package as a whole has not made me miss the Vento too much but from time to time I do realize that the car isn't perfect, there is slightly more body roll than the Vento. If I had to put a number on it, If the Vento was an 8, the Verna is a 7. High-speed stability over roads with imperfections/ expansion joints will make you want to slow down due to the lateral movement and vertical movement- This is obviously down to the soft suspension setup. This does not mean that the car cannot handle these roads- far from that it's just that it is less composed than the 1.6 TDI on bad roads. However, on well laid roads, be it the Ghats or the NHs there is nothing to choose between these cars.

As for your other queries- Insurance is better off gotten from outside- easily shaves off 30-40k and most dealers would agree to this, so please try your luck. GC is also never an issue for me - not with the Verna or any of the other sedans in the past. Overall, you can't go wrong with either the updated Slavia or the Verna. Both have come a long way from their predecessors and its really down to personal preference. A left field decision would be to wait for the N-Line but I do not know your urgency.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 10th October 2023 at 19:43. Reason: Fixing broken quote tags
TN07 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th October 2023, 19:17   #505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN07 View Post
As for your other queries- Insurance is better off gotten from outside- easily shaves off 30-40k and most dealers would agree to this, so please try your luck. GC is also never an issue for me - not with the Verna or any of the other sedans in the past. Overall, you can't go wrong with either the updated Slavia or the Verna. Both have come a long way from their predecessors and its really down to personal preference. A left field decision would be to wait for the N-Line but I do not know your urgency.
Thanks very much for the inputs and the recommendation. The slight compromise in ride experience over flyover joints seems OK. I am getting a good discount, so might stick with the same Hyundai insurance for hassle free for the first year at least. if Bumper to Bumper is taken off, it comes to around 76K. I am planning to go ahead with the Verna as I am looking for comfort now, as I am in the late forties and done a fair bit of hard steering and enthusiastic driving with the Skoda Rapid!

The rockstar handling of the VAG sedans will be lesser of a priority than the features, smooth DCT automatic, and comfort of the Hyundai Verna. I am not sure it makes sense to wait for Verna N line either as we do not know when the N Line of Verna will get released and at what price point. I am getting the top variant for just a shade under 22 L OTR in Bangalore which seems a good deal. The new Kia Seltos with the same engine, is 25.5 L OTR in Bangalore due to the exorbitant Road Tax.

The Virtus GT would be 23 L OTR and the Slavia around 22.1 L OTR with the loyalty bonus and discounts, but with much lesser features and dashboard looking similar to Kushaq! By that yardstick alone, it does seem great VFM with benchmark features on offer! Road presence is another added point with the Verna. I will do an ADAS test and if it works OK, I will mostly stick to my decision. As you put it, there is not much wrong with either the Verna or the Slavia.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 10th October 2023 at 19:44. Reason: Trimming quote post. Kindly quote only relevant sections of the post.
PeteKing75 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2023, 20:06   #506
BHPian

Quote:
Hi folks,

I recently sold a remapped 2013 Rapid 1.6 L diesel that was making 140 BHP and 320 NM Torque and trying to get a replacement...

The Verna 1.5 DCT on the other hand looks way more futuristic and has better interiors in my opinion...

... mostly it will be the Hyundai this time!
You can go with the Verna with no doubt. I cancelled my Virtus booking as well and went ahead with the Verna at the last minute. The Verna has a lot to offer and is a better package overall. The difference in overall dynamics between the Virtus and Verna is too small and is quite overblown in my opinion. You get close to 90-95% of what you get in Virtus with the added comfort in city conditions. Between the two, the Verna is more balanced for Indian conditions and does a better job overall. I say this after pushing the car decently enough at very high speeds as well and I don't think anyone would or should be the pushing their cars as much as I have before arriving at this conclusion . Ive driven a good amount in Bangalore roads and I can say that GC is sufficient and I have not scraped or even had any hint of scraping any speedbreaker yet whereas my Figo scrapes 3 out of 5 speed breakers if not taken with care

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 10th October 2023 at 21:26. Reason: Trimmed quote.
blackbandit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th October 2023, 17:06   #507
BHPian

If you have 2-3 rear passengers then you need to be careful over the speed bumps. I have scrapped my Verna when I had 3 passengers at the rear as I crossed the speed bump near my place where I usually travel alone.
V_Nyx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2023, 20:02   #508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbandit View Post
You can go with the Verna with no doubt. I cancelled my Virtus booking as well and went ahead with the Verna at the last minute. The Verna has a lot to offer and is a better package overall. The difference in overall dynamics between the Virtus and Verna is too small and is quite overblown in my opinion.
Thanks for the reassurance. It is always good to get the "Bangalore" perspective as well, with our mix of good roads and roads full of craters! I believe you might also be a frequent traveler between Mangalore and Bangalore over the not so good sections near Sakleshpur and the Shiradi Ghat? I am looking forward to try the ADAS on the Hassan highway. I hope the Verna has made the trip successfully in comfort with no scrapings. This car is feature rich, but misses on 360 camera. I cannot identify any other big feature misses and thats a compliment to Hyundai and Verna in these days of feature loaded cars!
Old 11th October 2023, 20:14   #509

I was terribly disappointed to see that a rat could chew through the wiper resting bay of my new Mar 2023 Verna! I was out of the country for a week & the Verna was parked in my regular open parking spot. We do have a rat menace .... but normally they end up chewing wires - first time I have seen large chunks of hard plastic getting ripped off ! Wonder if the plastic quality has deteriorated or the rats have more sharper teeth.
Attached Thumbnails
2023 Hyundai Verna Review-20231011_083830.jpg  

2023 Hyundai Verna Review-20231011_083550.jpg  

2023 Hyundai Verna Review-20231011_083606.jpg  

Old 12th October 2023, 12:52   #510
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the reassurance. It is always good to get the "Bangalore" perspective as well, with our mix of good roads and roads full of craters! I believe you might also be a frequent traveler between Mangalore and Bangalore over the not so good sections near Sakleshpur and the Shiradi Ghat? I am looking forward to try the ADAS on the Hassan highway. I hope the Verna has made the trip successfully in comfort with no scrapings. This car is feature rich, but misses on 360 camera. I cannot identify any other big feature misses and thats a compliment to Hyundai and Verna in these days of feature loaded cars!
I drive to Mangalore and back almost every alternate month. I have stopped taking the Shiradi/shakleshpur route almost 2 years back, since the widening work started and prefer the Belur/Charmadi route. The stretch after Shiradi ghats towards Mangalore is the most frustrating drive ever with numerous diversions and almost inexistent roads at certain parts and my lowered Figo was not helping either. While the Verna will fare out way better I have no intentions of taking it in this route and adding unnecessary wear and tear to the vehicle. My first trip to Mangalore in the Verna is yet to happen and I will be doing it in the last week of this month. Will update my experience after it but I am sure it won't disappoint as I have an idea what to expect. The ADAS does its job well. I have all settings enabled except for Lane keep assist. I have personally found it to be non intrusive and well calibrated even after driving in extensive Bangalore Traffic. The blind spot warnings on the mirrors are very helpful. The adaptive cruise control along with LKA has also worked very well for me on a midnight airport run. I do intend to try it on the Hassan stretch to further experience the same, but with the power on tap available I don't really know if I will be able to hold my temptations .

Last edited by blackbandit : 12th October 2023 at 12:56.
blackbandit is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed