Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2023, 13:32   #121
BHPian

Re: 2023 Hyundai Verna Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeevith View Post
This is what I went with (the knob facing inwards), the knob is physically of no use (only visually).
Does the MID containing only the centre part as a screen bug you? I see that only the middle part of the instrument cluster is an interactive screen, both left and right part (Speed and RPM) are simply static LCD screens, similar to what we used to have in calculators.

That is the only part that looks cheap to me, though I am still contemplating buying the DCT variant of this car.
Old 12th April 2023, 19:32   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgetFailure View Post

That is the only part that looks cheap to me, though I am still contemplating buying the DCT variant of this car.

2023 Hyundai Verna Review-6c314f720df94b5daa08a3ecb7d06354.jpeg
Specifically talking about this, only the center panel is actually a screen. This is a downer as compared to slavia/virtus (or even creta) instrument clusters.

Managed to test drive all the three transmissions, the turbo petrol is best paired with the DCT tranission, MT 1-->2 gear shift is something that would bother almost everyone. ~1.6 lacs of cost difference seems to justify the smoothness and added convenience one would get with DCT plus the hill assist feature that would come in handy.

iVT is very smooth and doesn't give a feeling of lag when doing a bit if agressive acceleration, infact for city oriented usecase this must be the variant one should go for (not compraing with DCT).

What do fellow BHPians think of resale value of verna MT 6-8 years from now ?
BudgetFailure is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2023, 06:12   #123
BHPian

I bought a Virtus 4 months back and when I heard the Verna was being launched, I hoped I wouldn't regret waiting for it. Although I did not consider Maruti or Hyundai and preferred VW, I always liked that Hyundai gives all the features you could think of. I had done a TD of 5th gen honda city, and was interested in the hybrid for a whille, but lack of wheel cladding was a deal breaker for me. After looking at the bare, welded,uneven, exposed metal over the wheels, I could not unsee it. The infotainment was also a big minus.

I am relieved that I dont feel like I should have checked Verna out. Here are the things I like/dont like:-

From the front it looks like its missing its eyes.
The rear is okay, nothing that I would hate, but I like Virtus better.
The side profile looks decent, even masculine. So I quite like that.
I hate the placement of infotainment screen and MID. It looks like an open book infront of you. I prefer the integrated looks of the infotainment on Virtus.

Verna has heated seats and electrically adjustable seats which is a plus.
Not sure if it has one-touch windows all around and if the windows can be lowered remotely. If it has, that would be nice (and a feature I miss in Virtus).

Overall I am quite satisfied with the features in the Virtus, so I dont mind an extra feature or two that Verna has.
Its also a plus that it has a lot soft-touch wrapped around on the dashboard.

The steering is an absolute buzzkill and that is something that will be right infront of my eyes all the time.

The Verna will become very common everywhere, just like the Creta and city so it wont be that exciting to own a car that almost every other person on the road has.

And finally, it feels nice to know you are in a safer car(read Virtus) since these days its not just your driving skills but all the other problems on our roads that need to be account for like, drunk driving, wrong side driving, the trucks and buses driving rashly under heavy load, regular road diversions etc. While we cant control these factors, one thing in our control is to ensure we are riding in the safest possible vehicle to give us some advantage if and when disaster strikes.
Zippy_wheels is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th April 2023, 20:26   #124

Have anyone driven a manual 1.5 turbo petrol ?? Won't it be better than the DCT one with no lags ?
Old 15th April 2023, 23:44   #125
BHPian

Test drove SX(O) IVT today. I'm just covering the observations that are less talked about so far in this thread:

1. Car is very smooth to drive. When driven with a light foot, the gear shits aren't perceived at all, as expected from an IVT.

2. The paddle shits are fun to use and will hold onto until you change it (maybe it upshifts after reaching a higher rpm, but I wasn't able to test that in my drive today). On the other hand, downshift will still happen automatically when speed and RPM drops below a certain threshold.

3. Suspensions are good for a city drive. The car easily absorbed the uneven surfaces and small potholes.

4. Floor the accelerator and the engine has a sweeeeeet note.
Of course, being an IVT the speed is not directly proportional to the accelerator input. However, enough power is available for a comfortable city drive (there 4 adults in my test drive car).

5. TPMS does not show the tyre temperature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLife_MyCar View Post
Quick question - Does TPMS also show the tyre temperature?

6. Now that it's been talked about, I had a mix feeling about the ac performance. At times I felt chilly, other times I felt AC could be better. I took test drive in the hot afternoon and outside temperature was around 40°C.
Passengers in rear seats outrightly felt that AC is underpowered. However, I think rear passengers would feel the same in most of the cars.
Would like to hear experience of other members on this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaleen View Post
...Did anyone face the same issue, where the AC felt underpowered...
Quote:
If this is true, why some of the modern cars facing issues with AC (Slavia, Kushaq, Taigun). Are they getting AC parts from same vendor? Or is it something that manufacturers have done to increase fuel efficiency? Can anyone shed light on this?

MY Dilemma

Now coming to the problem at hand where I need advice from members here.

Till today, my SA said he's clueless about the delivery timeline of my car (it's a pre-booking made a month before the launch).

After the test drive, he spoke to his senior and, out of the blue, told me that there is one car that they are getting on 20th Apr. It's exactly the same specification that i requested for (Turbo SX(O), black color). It's supposed to be for another customer but they can allot it to me if I make the full payment before 20th Apr.
I firmly told them that I'll make full payment only after doing a PDI, to which they agreed and said the car will be registered only after PDI.

Now, here are the things that are worrying me:
1. SA says that since the car actually hasn't been allotted to me, I have to mandatorily take insurance from them (which I felt is 10-15K premium than other insurance providers). He asked me to make a payment of 10L in a day and remaining amount before PDI. Registration can happen after PDI.

2. I'll be traveling for work during 22nd Apr - 1st May. So, coming week is going to be very busy for me and it will be difficult for me to make multiple visits to the showroom for formalities and PDI.

3. In the best case where SA gets the car on 20th, I'm not sure if they will be able to hand it over to me on 21st (including PDI, registration and othe formalities). Even if they do, car will be sitting idle for almost 10 days.

4. In the worst case where I give them the money and the car faces a delay in reaching the showroom, then I cannot take delivery until my return in May. So, I'm without a car and also short of 20L in my bank account.

All this has caused a confusion now. Dealer says that they don't know when the next batch of turbo cars would be delivered as there is a waiting period of 20-22 weeks on it. I felt like he is forcing me into making the payment by saying that.

What should I do? Make 50% payment and ask the dealer to hold the car until I return?
Would the dealer hold the car without registering it until my return?

Or should I refuse this opportunity and wait for next batch of cars? On the other hand, I don't want to wait 20-22 weeks if that's really the waiting period on Turbo

Why the life is so complicate!!
Old 16th April 2023, 08:28   #126
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Check with a couple of other dealers in your city if the timelines are the same.
Looks like the dealer has seen that you are desperatel and trying to sell you the car.
m8002? is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2023, 09:25   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
Check with a couple of other dealers in your city if the timelines are the same.
Looks like the dealer has seen that you are desperatel and trying to sell you the car.
Yes, I'm going to check with few other dealers.
And yes, I might have come across as desperate to get a car since I have been regularly following up with him for delivery/test drives.
Old 17th April 2023, 10:17   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I'm going to check with few other dealers.
And yes, I might have come across as desperate to get a car since I have been regularly following up with him for delivery/test drives.
There is a long waiting time for Turbo Petrol DCT indeed. I checked with multiple dealers in Bengaluru and the story is the same everywhere: 3 - 4 months of wait time. I also made the bookings the day the bookings opened. I was told I am 2nd in queue for the colour I had chosen but there is no visibility when the car will be allotted. I did get 2 chances of allotment though and i turned both down - 1st one was in March end and i didn't want to buy it before even test drives were available and 2nd was last week but it wasnt the color I wanted.

I'm also in a bit of eagerness to get my hands on a new car during my kid's summer vacations so that we can do some roadtrip. Now if this gets delayed further I am afraid I may get tempted by the new Seltos facelift. I am in half mind if I should wait for that because I feel the SUV comfort in city drive will be superior.
ulag62442 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 18:44   #129

Quote:
If this is true, why some of the modern cars facing issues with AC (Slavia, Kushaq, Taigun). Are they getting AC parts from same vendor? Or is it something that manufacturers have done to increase fuel efficiency? Can anyone shed light on this?

@Jeevith, hoping to hear your initial experience with the car soon.
Do you also feel that AC is underpowered?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CripplingLeo View Post
I think the top end has wireless Android auto and apple carplay.
Also any reviews of the colours ? Would tellurian brown be hard to maintain ?
Attachment 2438808

Attachment 2438809
Unfortunately, that’s not correct. I have the IVT SX(O) Petrol and I need to connect Apple Car Play / Android Auto via a cable and that too a non USB C one. I believe the SX version infact has the wireless enabled option. As per dealer sales person, this has something to do with the Bluelink connection provided on the top end variants because of which, apparently they can’t provide a wireless option (not verified). Also, the wireless charger is extremely slow - anyone facing a similar issue ?

With regards to the AC, I got my car delivered in a week’s time after launch and so far had no problems with the AC in Mumbai weather - which is getting a bit sultry and hot now.

For the color, I am partial to silver - my 3rd Verna now; all of them in Silver. Easier for maintenance as I have an open uncovered parking!
Mack1970 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 20:08   #130
BHPian

I went through Verna’s owner manual and it was mentioned that engine is E10 compliant only. Could anyone confirm it?
FrozeninTime is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 20:38   #131
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
...It's supposed to be for another customer but they can allot it to me if I make the full payment before 20th Apr.

...What should I do? Make 50% payment and ask the dealer to hold the car until I return? Would the dealer hold the car without registering it until my return?
Dealer is willing to sell you someone else's car if you pay up, why wouldn't he do that to you too, if someone else forks up the $$$?
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 21:11   #132
BHPian

Quote:

Till today, my SA said he's clueless about the delivery timeline of my car (it's a pre-booking made a month before the launch).

After the test drive, he spoke to his senior and, out of the blue, told me that there is one car that they are getting on 20th Apr.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Dealer is willing to sell you someone else's car if you pay up, why wouldn't he do that to you too, if someone else forks up the $$$?
A twist in the tale - Spoke to my SA today to know the possibilities of holding the car with 50% payment till I return. And he gave me the surprise of my life, "Sir, your car is already in our stockyard. You can come today to check it out".

From being clueless till Saturday afternoon, to committing car delivery on 20th Apr after the test drive, to "car already in stockyard". What does one make out of this?
  1. There is no shortage of turbo cars and dealers are just delivering it to whoever is ready with money.
  2. This is the car which is actually allocated to me by Hyundai and dealer just tried to force me into buying insurance at premium from them stating that they are promoting me in the queue. In that case, it goes to next person who is ready with money.
  3. The car just happened to be expressed delivered by Amazon's 1-day delivery.

Anyway, I turned down the offer and said that I'll take the delivery in next batch after I return from my work travel, no matter how much I have to wait. He was still persistent to convince me to make payment today, however, I very well know work will keep me very busy this week. I don't want to be juggle between car and work commitments.

So, politely told him to to stop forcing me and sell the car to the customer it was supposed to be "allotted to".
I made a decision - right or wrong, only time will tell. I'm ready to accept whatever fate has for me, with a hope that prices do not go up till then.

Last edited by MyLife_MyCar : 17th April 2023 at 21:13.
Old 18th April 2023, 17:39   #133
BHPian

Whoa! Finally vehicle reached the stockyard & done with the PDI

Spent one good hour inspecting every nook & corner but couldn't decode the VIN as it has just 17 digits instead of traditional 19 digits. Is this the same for all Hyundai cars? or just for the new Verna?

Won't regret for turning down the Titan grey initially offered by the dealer, as this shade is a looker on bright daylight. Out of all the Vernas lying out there, this was the only one I saw with this unique shade.

AC cooled the cabin effectively in our Chennai weather, although its not a chiller like our Manza.

Registration will take place by Thursday & delivery by Sunday.

Time to rejoice this summer with roadtrips ahead.

2023 Hyundai Verna Review-whatsapp-image-20230418-4.51.46-pm.jpeg

2023 Hyundai Verna Review-whatsapp-image-20230418-4.51.43-pm.jpeg

2023 Hyundai Verna Review-whatsapp-image-20230418-4.01.23-pm.jpeg

The car seemed freshly baked & the odometer reads just 9km.

2023 Hyundai Verna Review-whatsapp-image-20230418-5.13.52-pm-2.jpeg

Came with GOODYEAR tyres mfd on 1st week of March.

2023 Hyundai Verna Review-whatsapp-image-20230418-5.13.52-pm-1.jpeg

2023 Hyundai Verna Review-whatsapp-image-20230418-3.46.49-pm.jpeg

Found some shoddy job under the doors. This was present in all other Vernas out there in the stockyard. Couldn't get any leads regarding this but owners out here, can u confirm the same.

2023 Hyundai Verna Review-whatsapp-image-20230418-4.51.50-pm.jpeg

Last edited by Maxton07 : 18th April 2023 at 17:58.
Old 18th April 2023, 18:06   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxton07 View Post

Found some shoddy job under the doors. This was present in all other Vernas out there in the stockyard. Couldn't get any leads regarding this but owners out here, can u confirm the same.
Congrats on the new ride! Unique shade I must say!

The coarse paintwork seen below is pretty common in most cars although I don't know the exact purpose. It's actually done by attaching the equivalent of sand paper and then painting over it.

Hoping to hear the real reason why manufacturers do it.
Turbohead is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 18:10   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
The coarse paintwork seen below is pretty common in most cars although I don't know the exact purpose. It's actually done by attaching the equivalent of sand paper and then painting over it.

Hoping to hear the real reason why manufacturers do it.
That's the rubberized coating used by manufacturers to seal and keep the underbody protected from the elements. It acts like an antirust coating for the cars underbody.
mtnrajdeep is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed