Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2023, 12:28   #16
BHPian

Re: 2023 Hyundai Verna Review

Just got back from checking out the new Verna at Lakshmi Hyundai, Whitefield. For perspective I am going to compare it to my Linea and what I remember of the Slavia that I test drove a long time back

The Good:

1. Perceived and actual quality is far far better than my Linea. All the AC vents are nicely damped, including the center console storage, and all the other buttons. Even the stalks felt 'meaty', nicely damped and had zero play. I will admit that some parts look 'plasticky' like the door pads but not a deal breaker to me. In all honesty I found the interior better looking put together compared to the Slavia.

2. Front seats were surprisingly comfortable and I quickly managed to find a happy driving position. With the seat set for my 5'11" frame I had more than enough legroom at the rear and without my head touching the liner. I was so comfy at the back that I forgot to check under seat thigh support. Its that good and better than the Linea and from what I remember felt better than the Slavia.

3. The light cream leather and black combo looks great, but will soil easily.

4. Controls didn't feel out of place and everything falls to hand naturally (maybe because its very similar to the Linea)

5. The boot lid and hood both are nicely clad with insulation.

6. Trunk is big enough, plus you have space in the wheel well for smaller items

The Bad:

1. It was easy to adjust the rake, but the reach took some arm strength.

2. Steering wheel design isn't my favorite, though buttons are nicely damped.

3. The underfloor layout isn't as clean as my Linea.

4. Just like the Tjet the fresh air intake is near the headlight within the engine compartment.

5. I find the design too busy, front and rear.

As a Linea owner it's just sad to hear that the car has the grunt but can't handle the power which according to me is just useless power. Will take a TD and see how it goes.

Not a flat Undeerbody
2023 Hyundai Verna Review-verna-1.jpg

Layout and reach very similar to the Linea
2023 Hyundai Verna Review-verna-4.jpg

Nice solid door connectors for all the electricals
2023 Hyundai Verna Review-verna-5.jpg

Plenty of space for keeping kick knacks
2023 Hyundai Verna Review-verna-6.jpg

Bad pic, but air intake is close to headlight level inside the engine compartment
2023 Hyundai Verna Review-verna-8.jpg

Nice large 130A alternator
2023 Hyundai Verna Review-verna-9.jpg

rear suspension
2023 Hyundai Verna Review-verna-12.jpg

Underbody
2023 Hyundai Verna Review-verna-13.jpg
keroo1099 is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 12:37   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
As a Linea owner it's just sad to hear that the car has the grunt but can't handle the power which according to me is just useless power. Will take a TD and see how it goes.
Ex-fiat user here. I don't fully agree that the car will be unable to use all that power, it definitely would be able to.

Most cars are far more capable to handle curves than we think, but the drivers don't feel like taking them there. Of course, Fiats may have mastered the art of cornering but others aren't too bad at it.

Last edited by clevermax : 30th March 2023 at 12:38.
clevermax is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 12:48   #18
Senior - BHPian

So lots of scratchy plastics in the Verna cabin too! However, Hyundai has been smart enough to use it in not so visible areas unlike VW where commonly observed items like the area around the AC vents scream 'cheap'.

Guess we have to wait for the N line if we require a balance for ride and handling! Glad to know that the 1.5 T-GDI is a progression of the 1.4.

Overall a phenomenal review.
Turbohead is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 13:01   #19
BHPian

According to me, still the Slavia appeals more to me because of its looks and brand. Nonetheless, the Verna is a good car and definitely it will become the segment leader surpassing the Honda City in terms of sales according to me.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 6th April 2023 at 21:11. Reason: Please capitalise first letters of names. Thanks!
MotorDev is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 13:12   #20
BHPian

Thanks for a nice review. I am bit disappointed to read about the handling part where it is a no match to VAG twins. I ride a Ecosport Ecoboost and looking to buy 1.5 Turbo DCT; any comments on how it handles compared to the Ecosport?

And regarding boot space, I think the correct number is 528 litres but it has been mentioned as 523 litres in the review couple of times. Please check and correct.

Last edited by ndinesh : 30th March 2023 at 13:15. Reason: Number correction
ndinesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 13:12   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post

2023 Hyundai Verna Review

Hyundai Verna Cons

• Missing features like a 360-degree camera,
The sales person told me that Hyundai can add 360 cam as accessory. He told the same was done for Creta
Old 30th March 2023, 13:18   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post

Powertrain: 1.5 TSi DSG > 1.5 TGDi DCT > 1.5 iVTEC CVT ~ 1.5 MPi IVT
Handling: VAG Twins > Hyundai > Honda
Ride: VAG Twins > Hyundai ~ Honda
Space: Honda > Hyundai > VAG Twins
NVH: Hyundai > VAG Twins > Honda
Gearbox: DSG > DCT > IVT > CVT
Interiors: VAG Twins > Honda > Hyundai (If Hyundai swapped the scratchy plastics for better material, I'd rate Hyundai higher. The cabin LOOKS great, the plastics dilute the FEEL, esp. in the black + red cabin).
Thanks! Are you sure of the interiors point?

IMO the Honda City had way better interiors than the VAG twins. Infact, I felt the VAG interiors to be seriously disappointing for a 20L car. My Sonet and Ecosport S seem to have better interiors than the VAG twins.
07CR is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 13:31   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post

IMO the Honda City had way better interiors than the VAG twins. Infact, I felt the VAG interiors to be seriously disappointing for a 20L car. My Sonet and Ecosport S seem to have better interiors than the VAG twins.
Precisely why I said subjective opinion

I like the usual understated nature of VAG interiors (I detest their recent 'Monte Carlo' red stuff BTW, too loud). Their MQB-A0-IN cars are disappointing in quality overall, not just in-cabin.

Honda wins on space packaging, pretty much always has, and the 5th gen City looks nice inside (lose the ICE though, tacky). Hyundai, if they used better, softer materials on the new Verna, would be right up there. The black & red is pretty tastefully done, visually.

2-spoke steering and digital cluster just don't work for me, give me sweeping needles anyday. The horn-pad is a similar clickety-clack type that fellow mod Vid6639 and I disliked in the Carens too. Disappointing in a cockpit where pretty much everything else is well-damped.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 30th March 2023 at 13:48.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 13:39   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Are you sure of the interiors point?
Interior looks are as subjective as exterior looks. I own the Virtus and even I think the quality of the interiors may not be the best in the segment but the looks? I think it's the best, hands down. The AC vents is the only below par section of the interior in terms of looks, which I plan to improve by hydro dipping or something (yet to be finalized). But otherwise, if I include elements such as the digital instrument cluster, all around bezels or just the visibility of it, steering wheel, smooth touchscreen integration in the piano black trim of the dash etc.. i think Virtus looks so much better than the competition.

For me, City is a no match which I didn't even consider once. The screen is 10x poorer and the interiors just isn't fit for 2023, especially for under 50 year olds in my opinion.

The Verna is better but again, I just can't seem to like the steering, or the bezel filled plastic surrounding the screens in front. Personally, I think this setup would've looked better integrated in the dash without the bezels. I also can't get tired of shouting how pathetic that speedometer is with digital display of speed and RPM. Sonet and Nexon level poor. They have the digital speedos from a ₹70k bike.

So, it's not just about the quality of materials. At this point, I'd pick a few squeaks that come with age over a bad looking interior any day.
RaiAnish is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 14:16   #25
Senior - BHPian

Just came across this video of Slavia 1.5 vs Verna 1.5.

Interestingly, in the drag race performed, the Verna simply smokes the Verna. They even interchange the drivers, and the results are same. DCT shifting faster than DSG or it's simply the more power from Verna?

PS- Drag race is done by ICN Yogi and Gagan, whom I consider a little reliable and unbiased journalists out there (especially Gagan).

Jump to 14.35 for the Drag race.
07CR is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 14:21   #26
BHPian

Quote:
DCT shifting faster than DSG or it's simply the more power from Verna?
Cannot be because of Verna being lighter which they have highlighted multiple times in the video? Both Gagan and Yogi mention that overall it feels lighter to drive than Slavia and not controlled.

Another drive review from Faisal points out that car has too much body roll, not much fun to drive.

tsi_niks1989 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 14:41   #27
BANNED

How is the interior quality(excluding the hard plastics mentioned in the review) of the Verna compared to Carens/Seltos?
Old 30th March 2023, 14:44   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsi_niks1989 View Post
Cannot be because of Verna being lighter which they have highlighted multiple times in the video? Both Gagan and Yogi mention that overall it feels lighter to drive than Slavia and not controlled.
Agreed weight could be another factor. I guess there is around 70-80 Kg difference between both. But still surprised to see such a massive difference in terms of drag race. I guess the overall aerodyanmics could also be at play here, with the low GC factor as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsi_niks1989 View Post
Another drive review from Faisal points out that car has too much body roll, not much fun to drive.
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=3D33ty_NQxc
I no more follow this guy. I felt his review style is just too "Oversmart Wannabe Enthusiast", who revs each car till 7-8K like mad person on open city roads.

BTW any idea if there is ambient lighting even at the rear for the Verna? I would like if they included the Navigation directions in MID.

Last edited by 07CR : 30th March 2023 at 14:49. Reason: Added question for Ambient light.
07CR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 15:16   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I agree. The interior of VW 2.0 cars look great in pictures but the quality of materials used is poor. When you sit inside, it definitely feels like a 7L car. Especially if you ignore the speedo-screen.
Cresterk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 15:52   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Not a fan of rating on arbitrary scales as opinions are subjective, but here are mine:

Powertrain: 1.5 TSi DSG > 1.5 TGDi DCT > 1.5 iVTEC CVT ~ 1.5 MPi IVT
Handling: VAG Twins > Hyundai > Honda
Ride: VAG Twins > Hyundai ~ Honda
Space: Honda > Hyundai > VAG Twins
NVH: Hyundai > VAG Twins > Honda
Gearbox: DSG > DCT > IVT > CVT
Interiors: VAG Twins > Honda > Hyundai (If Hyundai swapped the scratchy plastics for better material, I'd rate Hyundai higher. The cabin LOOKS great, the plastics dilute the FEEL, esp. in the black + red cabin).

Could add Safety and Reliability in to the mix as well.

Sound system being the 8 speaker Bose, is it the same system that's being used across the entire Hyundai and Kia line up, including the Tucson?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks