Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2023, 09:20   #226
BHPian

Re: 2023 Hyundai Verna Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Tourer View Post
Can anyone share some feedback on the mileage from the Turbo owners please? Both MT and DCT.

I'm still on my first tank of fuel since delivery so am unable to ascertain the mileage. I don't normally believe the MID mentioned one as most times it's far from the truth
Based on two highway trips and full tank fill ups over a duration of 1000km (including ~100km of city drive), i got a decent average of 16+ kmpl. Do note that i am in my engine run in period and covered only 1500 km in total. I am guessing it is going to reduce once i start opening the throttle to 3k+ rpm.

Some stats for reference:
2023 Hyundai Verna Review-img_e6799280dc791.jpeg
Do note that above also contains last trip's journey also and i haven't filled up post that. accordingly my current average should come around 1510km/99L, 15+ kmpl.
BudgetFailure is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2023, 13:17   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgetFailure View Post
Based on two highway trips and full tank fill ups over a duration of 1000km (including ~100km of city drive), i got a decent average of 16+ kmpl. Do note that i am in my engine run in period and covered only 1500 km in total. I am guessing it is going to reduce once i start opening the throttle to 3k+ rpm.
Thanks for the insight. This is good to know that the Turbo delivers good mileage also.

I'll also be filling my 2nd full tank this week. I'll let everyone know how it's been. Only done 600km so far.

P.S.: could I ask which app is this please? Seems to be good for tracking expenses. I only used fuelio at the moment but thus seems to have a wider scope for tracking all expenses. TIA.
Grand Tourer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2023, 17:50   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats on the booking . The Starry night is a lovely stealthy blue color.

Any info on the waiting period?

Thx
J
SA quoted around 3-4 months but we don't want an allocation until August so we're in no rush to receive the car
jono213 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2023, 18:12   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgetFailure View Post
Based on two highway trips
Are we ok to do highway runs with a new car under its run-in period of 1500 kms? I thought one should do highway drives only after 1500 kms. I remember the manual saying that the rpm shouldn't be continuously at a number for a long time which I thought to mean rules out long highway drives.
Old 23rd May 2023, 00:10   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulag62442 View Post
Are we ok to do highway runs with a new car under its run-in period of 1500 kms? I thought one should do highway drives only after 1500 kms. I remember the manual saying that the rpm shouldn't be continuously at a number for a long time which I thought to mean rules out long highway drives.
I just did a 2600 km cross country trip after buying the car. Rpm won't remain the same if you don't use cruise control and modulate throttle input.
FAIAAA is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2023, 05:05   #231
BHPian

Got our Hyundai Verna 1.5 Turbo 3 weeks ago as a replacement for our 9 year old Vento 1.6 TDI and it will be used alongside a Ford Figo 1.5 TDCI and a Honda City 1.5 P CVT in our garage.

I've clocked 2k kilometers so far and here are a few observations in comparison to the three cars mentioned above:

Engine, Drive Modes & Gearbox

The engine is extremely refined and NVH levels are well controlled (except on cold start when you can feel a little bit of vibration for about 45 seconds similar to a 3-cylinder engine). In terms of acceleration and outright performance the car is sublime. There is almost zero lag, It accelerates in a linear manner even when floored and isn't like the turbo-charged engines I've driven but best believe that it will get to triple digits speed before you even know it and will continue to pull without breaking a sweat.

In city conditions, its best driven in 'D' since the 'S' drive mode keeps the revs really high (and holds them) which isn't ideal. But out on an open road the 'S' mode sure does liven things up- the steering is heavier and the throttle response is a lot sharper.

The transmission is smooth and not jerky at all. Both the upshifts as well as the downshifts are very well masked but if you are an extremely keen observer you will notice (ever so slightly) the car moving through the gears. Also, When you floor the throttle, the car hesitates for a split second before it selects and engages a gear but this can be negated through the paddles. But overall Hyundai has done a very good job with the DCT.

Ride Quality, Handling & Steering Feedback

At low city speeds the Verna really does shine. The suspension is well sorted and almost all bumps are absorbed. There are no "Thuds" so to speak when compared to the Vento and it is more comfortable than the Honda City.

At higher speeds the car has served me well. Straight line stability is very impressive and on par with Figo and the Vento. Around the corners is where I've noticed some body roll when compared to those two cars but it isn't off-putting or scary even when the car is going at a fairly decent clip. Most people will be right to expect less body roll in a low-slung car and Hyundai could've stiffened things up but for a small commuter sedan it more than gets the job done and if I hadn't been driving our Vento or Figo for so long I wouldn't have really noticed it.

The 2-Spoke Steering wheel doesn't bother me too much in terms of aesthetics but it is extremely light for the most part in the 'Eco' and the 'D' mode. It does weigh up in the 'S' mode as you would expect but is nothing to write home about. All things aside, the leather wrap on the steering wheel is good and does feel great to hold.

Interiors & Ergonomics

Interiors feel contemporary and everything is where you would expect it to be except for the driver side power window controls which are placed too far ahead and I often at times just end up lowering the rear windows. Really a shame in a cabin which otherwise is very ergonomic.

Besides that, Storage is plenty, AC is effective, front seats are wide, supportive and offer good thigh support, rear seats are reclined at a nice angle and the overall glass area is pretty good but the City definitely feels more airy and comfortable in the back but not by much. Yes, plastics are scratchy and a step down from our Vento (but other than the plastic quality the interiors are a huge step up) but at this price point I don't know If I can expect anything else.

The twin screen setup is easy to get used to and the infotainment unit is very very slick. The speakers are also a notch above what I've experienced in cars that belong to the same segment. The driver's instrument cluster while not being a fancy fully digital unit gives me pretty much all the information that I need but the TPMS readings are sometimes a bit wonky.

Issues Encountered

A week after taking delivery of the car I noticed the steering was off centre and it had to be pointed slightly to the right for the car to go straight. If I centered it, the car pulled to the left almost instantaneously. The car has undergone an alignment today and will be interesting to see if it happens again.

Other Areas that could've been slightly better

Wireless Carplay would have been nice to have from the very beginning and hopefully Hyundai releases their update soon.

Power window controls (like I had already mentioned) are too far ahead for my liking.

While everything is backlit in the cabin (which is great)- the ORVM controls and the fuel lid release control are not and I don't really understand why to be honest.

On the exterior front, LED turn indicators/ reversing lights along with the rear brake calipers painted red (like the front) would have been nice additions but oh well what's a small sedan without cost cutting?

The creep function could have been stronger. I'm definitely not asking for the lunging behavior of VW's 1.0's TC unit but somewhere in between would have been nice since the car requires throttle input to go over even the tiny inclines.

Here is a not-so-great image of the car

2023 Hyundai Verna Review-img2723-1.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 28th May 2023 at 11:46. Reason: Duplicate image deleted
TN07 is offline   (46) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2023, 08:52   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulag62442 View Post
Yup, absolutely fine. You must ensure that you are not driving it at a constant speed all the time (which on indian roads is not possible anyways), so the engine would always be changing its rpm.

Quote:

P.S.: could I ask which app is this please? Seems to be good for tracking expenses. I only used fuelio at the moment but thus seems to have a wider scope for tracking all expenses. TIA.
It's called Drivvo. I use it to capture all my vehicle histories and it seems better then fuelio.

I had a few observations through my drives that I plan to post over the weekend.

Last edited by BudgetFailure : 23rd May 2023 at 08:54. Reason: Added another reply
BudgetFailure is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2023, 10:40   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN07 View Post
A week after taking delivery of the car I noticed the steering was off centre and it had to be pointed slightly to the right for the car to go straight. If I centered it, the car pulled to the left almost instantaneously. The car has undergone an alignment today and will be interesting to see if it happens again.
Exactly, I'm also facing the same issue in my steering. It has to be tilted slightly towards right to move straightways. Didn't notice it when I'm taking the steering control but while using the Lane keep assist function, I found it to be aligned off center. Have to check with the ASS soon and it would be great to hear your feedback post wheel alignment. And owners out here, pls check the same with your vehicle.
Old 23rd May 2023, 12:33   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxton07 View Post
Exactly, I'm also facing the same issue in my steering. It has to be tilted slightly towards right to move straightways. Didn't notice it when I'm taking the steering control but while using the Lane keep assist function, I found it to be aligned off center. Have to check with the ASS soon and it would be great to hear your feedback post wheel alignment. And owners out here, pls check the same with your vehicle.
I noticed this too on the first day that it was slightly left off center but couldn't replicate this exactly in the following days. So I assumed it was the road gradient that was pushing the car to the left.
Old 23rd May 2023, 13:25   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxton07 View Post
It's there since day 1, waiting to get first service this weekend, this is one of the hiccups. Seems this is a manufacturing Defect if it is this common.
Old 23rd May 2023, 18:21   #236

This is the review I could resonate the most with. I personally found the quality of materials better in Verna than the Virtus, as well as the backseat experience. The air conditioner and the ventilated seats are also noticeably better on the new Verna, and so are the NVH levels.

Virtus takes it with its handling and steering feedback but as far as body roll is concerned, both the cars were pretty similar for me.

It's just so funny that Verna has such polarizing reviews across, which makes me wonder that are people favoring the VW twins because of the brand's past leadership w.r.t quality of materials and driving dynamics; basically not being objective (people need to factor in that fit, finish and durability of the India manufactured VW cars are just at the level they used to be). I don't think I have seen such varied reviews for a car in the recent times.
v.bhomawat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2023, 19:00   #237

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN07 View Post
Wireless Carplay would have been nice to have from the very beginning and hopefully Hyundai releases their update soon.
=====
Here are a few not-so-great images of the car
This is a well-put-together list of observations that I would like to acknowledge having driven the same car myself. The Engine is nothing short of what you could call a Gem! and the value that this car provides for the price tag is unbeatable.

I could never wrap my head around the design choice behind that two-spoke steering wheel though

Just wish Hyundai could get back with the three-spoke steering wheel and maybe an N-Line, so I could consider getting one as a replacement for my dear old Figo Aspire.

Last edited by Jaggu : 23rd May 2023 at 19:16. Reason: Trimming quoted post
Old 24th May 2023, 23:52   #238
BHPian

For folks who are interested in the CVT variant:

ashivas89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2023, 01:00   #239
BHPian

Well couldn't wait till weekend to post my observations after getting the car washed

First a couple of pictures of the beauty, Titan Grey MT SX(O) 1.5L Turbo

2023 Hyundai Verna Review-img_8167.jpeg
Near Bhadra Dam

2023 Hyundai Verna Review-img_2934.jpeg
Quick foam wash of the car, it was extremely muddy post a trip to coffee estate in chickmaglur over the weekend.

2023 Hyundai Verna Review-img_2935.jpeg
Applied a coat of CarPro ECH2O quick detailer and the car looks better than the day it was delivered!

What i loved:
- Even under 2.5k rpm, the engine provides ample amount of power in all gears, especially 5th and 6th. It is easy to overtake even without downshifting in majority of the scenarios.
- Driver's seating position provides a very commanding position and good view of the road.
- Managed to get a good 16+ kmpl average over 1.5 long trips, including 200km of Bangalore city drive. (1.5 because i am yet to fill up my tank back post returning, expecting a major decline in mileage as I was stuck in Bangalore jam for 3 hours, covered mere 36km in 3 hours)
- the ISG feature is very convenient and non intrusive, i do hope it saves some fuel, at-least during those red light stops.
- Suspension seemed pretty good for majority of the use cases. Car felt stable throughout.
- For my taste, the steering feels alright. I have not driven any of the driver oriented cars a lot so verna feels very comfortable and in control.
- Interior looks good and sorted. The physical knobs are a boon given all the modern cars are going button less.
- Impressed with Ground clearance, managed to do a 2km non existent uphill road with ease.
- Steering and Lane assist feature is very helpful for expressway drives, it prevent you from getting tired.
- Rear seats are very comfortable based on my 2 rear passenger's feedback. It provides ample amount of leg space too.
- Horn is extremely loud.
- Headlights work decent, given the opposite side drivers are not driving with high beam.

Observed Hiccups:
- In eco and normal mode, the engine judders a bit around 1k rpm. This doesn't happen in sports mode. It affects the overall smoothness of the drive.
- If you try quick gear shifts the lever at times doesn't go into the correct position in one shot, may be i need more getting used to it.
- When going straight steering remains at an angle of around 4-5 deg, which is is definitely not normal. Just not sure if service center is going to honour the request free of cost or not as it has been like this since day 1.
- ADAS front and rear collision is extremely intrusive when in city. It tends to press the emergency brake way too frequently when creeping forward or reversing.
- The Hill Assist in a manual seems a bit tricky. When you are on slope it holds the vehicle in the same position, but to allow the vehicle move forward you need to press accelerator. This results in a very jerky move/lunge forward. While going uphill on normal mode, due to extreme slope, i needed up stalling the car, post that it was a nightmare for me to get it uphill as I am not accustomed with how Hill Assist works in manual. It took me multiple tries to actually get the car moving forward and had to give more race than normal, almost around 1.7k rpm to get moving again. An area where i need to experiment a bit more with this car. I had never faced a problem with usual hand brake mechanism in my Tiago on steeper slopes.
- The tyres didn't inspire confidence in the above scenario either.

Overall i am happy with the car and hope to have a good ownership experience.
BudgetFailure is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 25th May 2023, 01:50   #240
BHPian

A glimpse from my recent drive to Chikmagalur, note the slope Verna went through: it was able to handle it with ease and headlight was decent for the pitch black way.

Move to 3:35 time directly, that is the part which is interesting, around 20 seconds.

@mods, if required please merge with above thread as i have lost the option to edit previous post.

Last edited by BudgetFailure : 25th May 2023 at 01:52. Reason: Direct time embedding didnt work, therefore mentioned exact time
BudgetFailure is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks