Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2023, 18:03   #2221
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDIAN_VAGABOND View Post
To conclude,
If you have 'brought' home the Jimny for long term ownership and engine durability, avoid Throttle Controllers.
Thank you for this very detailed and logical analysis about throttle controllers.

I have been debating about installing one everytime I read a fantastic review of the throttle controller on this thread and looking at some online videos, but your argument and statement nails it for me. I'd rather live long with my Jimny (and the other way round) and get used to it's acceleration rather than risk having to give it up too soon.

Last edited by Aditya : 29th October 2023 at 05:32. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
dileep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2023, 18:56   #2222
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
I
If we expect the Jimny to be a lifetime member of our garage, let's respect the Jimny for what it does the best; rather than pushing it to achieve something that it is originally not designed for.
Why should we single out only the Throttle controller for this?

Why not also add any and all engine ecu remaps, turbo bolt-ons, snorkel installations, rock crawler gears, electrics and light bars and rally or off road lights and all the various other accoutrements which people also add to their Jimnys from the after market?

All of these are also quite capable of causing havoc.

And just to keep the balance here, even an absolutely basic stock vehicle can fail, on occasion.
shankar.balan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th October 2023, 20:08   #2223
BHPian

Quote:

"Does the use of Throttle controller affect the lifespan of a Car's mechanical components?

Greatly increased potential for major engine failure, as the internal engine components may not be designed to frequently handle the increased pressures and temperatures due to higher throttle opening at the lower end of the curve.

To conclude,
If you have 'brought' home the Jimny for long term ownership and engine durability, avoid Throttle Controllers.

If you have 'bought' the Jimny for initial few years of fun and better low-end response, go ahead with Throttle Controllers; and also make it a point to dispose the Jimny in Used Car Market before first signs of trouble emerge.

If there was an easy way for an Engine to produce more Power and Torque, use less fuel while maintaining emissions levels and engine durability, all at the same time (claims made by Throttle Controller manufacturers); the engine manufactures would do this themselves.

If we expect the Jimny to be a lifetime member of our garage, let's respect the Jimny for what it does the best; rather than pushing it to achieve something that it is originally not designed for.
Is the throttle controller for everyone?

No... not entirely. It really depends on how you drive your car and your needs.

If you are okay with the sluggish response and overtaking with great precision and planning and never want a fast response from your Jimny pedal sure this product is not for you.

The Throttle Controller is not only for drivers with race oriented capabilities as what it clearly does do is give you a lot more control over the pedal modulation.

As regards Fuel economy it is again dependent on how the driver drives and I have actually compared the fuel economy in the Factory mode and Adapt mode and find it has improved while engaged in the Adapt mode. I treat the vehicle with respect and almost never floor the accelerator unless in an emergency. If this is true then the wear and tear in my case also will be negligible and if maintained properly will last many many years.

The Throttle controller I use in the Jimny has the following modes (almost all TCs have similar modes with different names)
  • Ultimate9 Mode: Instantly sets the pedal response to the sharpest setting for maximum throttle enhancement.
  • Ultimate Mode: Enhances throttle response. The higher the setting, the sharper the throttle response becomes. With 9 levels of adjustability for user refinement, its great for everyday driving, towing, overtaking or highway cruising.
  • Adapt Mode: Automatically gives an enhanced response between Ultimate levels 1 to 9 based on your pedal input.
  • Eco Mode: Subdues throttle response below factory settings. With 9 levels of sensitivity, this mode offers more stability, control, and precision over rough terrains, making it great for off-roading and low-speed towing manoeuvres.
  • Factory Mode: Replicates the factory throttle mapping of your vehicle.
  • Launch Mode: Sustain outright control with this enhanced mode. By modifying the initial throttle response, you can simultaneously maximise power and increase traction, greatly reducing the likelihood of wheel spin.
  • Lock Mode: Give your vehicle a heightened layer of security. Lock Mode disables the user interface, locking your accelerator, even when you take the user interface with you. With your car on lock, you can stay one step ahead knowing your evcX is hindering the exploits of thieves.
  • Anti-Slip Mode: Offers a more subdued throttle response while limiting RPM. This control mode reduces your chance of wheel spin when driving on slippery surfaces such as snow, ice and mud.
  • Valet Mode: Designed for control when parking, this mode reduces throttle response, simultaneously limiting the maximum RPM for total command, no matter how tight of a park.
So the Throttle Controller gives a wider range of control starting from on road driving, off road driving , factory mode, economy mode and parking mode etc. Its not just for people flooring the pedal all the time .

In fact there would be some wanting that much extra per litre the economy mode will help. There is a mode for most drivers and driving conditions.

Age and wear and tear are also dependent on driving styles, proper periodic maintenance etc. etc. so there are a lot of variables involved and not just one factor.

Also lets not forget the Jimny is built to a cost and also set up to provide maximum mileage. There are other 4X4 trucks worldwide that offer the features that a throttle controller provides but then they are not in this segment they are much higher above. In cars think of the ones with a sport mode and keeping it permanently engaged - will it harm my engine? No. Sure there will be some fractional and additional wear and tear but within acceptable limits.

In fact if maximum age is to be delivered by conserving it totally without any additional engine strain even upgrade of tyres seems like a bad idea. So is upgrade on spark plugs, suspension etc. etc. In fact keeping it 100% stock then is optimum. Keeping it within certain speed limits would also help.

For some that would defeat the purpose it was bought for.

Lets also not forget that the Jimny's engine is proven and a tough engine with some rough edges.....

In the end its all about what you want from your vehicle and the pleasure it can give in other words bang for your money. If a smoother ride is what you would want go ahead and do what is required to make it smoother and something that is a joy to drive.

If stock is your thing so be it.

Both can and do co-exist.
ShivC is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th October 2023, 21:13   #2224
Senior - BHPian

I got my Jimny on July 1st and by the end of the month had these both in. I posted about it on Aug 7 K&N & NGK Jimny (Maruti Jimny Review)

A K&N or similar stock replacement filter and the NGK ruthenium plugs will improve the performance of the Jimny. When I temporarily swapped in the stock filter to do a comparison the decrease in performance was most evident whilst accelerating. If someone wants to moderately improve the performance of the Jimny without spending big go for a K&N (or similar) panel filter and NGK Ruthenium plugs. Both combined costs about the same or less than a quick throttle.

Throttle controller just does the flexing of driver's right leg's ankle without driver having to flex it fully. It does not do anything apart opening throttle butterfly quicker. With or without throttle controller, the butterfly in the throttle body will open to its max limit. If driver stomps on the pedal the butterfly in the throttle body will open faster. Throttle controller electronically stomps the pedal for the driver, thats all. And everything tied to the TPS and Pedal will change its behaviour (AT shifts for eg) accordingly thinking driver stomped on the pedal. The choice of using throttle controller is personal, some likes it as it helps them to go from part throttle to full throttle faster with light pedal pressure. I don't have one installed, to take care of the lag I push the pedal harder faster, easy to modulate.

Note regarding oiled cotton filters:

Properly oiled K&N/BMC filter will not let in dust, I have used them across multiple vehicles. For this proper cleaning and oiling is a must. I have personally seen authorised spares supplied original paper filter letting in dust, which was reason good enough for me to promptly buy a K&N for that car. There are reports of stock filter letting in dust on the internet, in the recent past Toyota Hilux/Fortuner (current gen) was in the news for this. This may be surprising for some of you but I have also come across Jimny's (JB74) stock airbox with stock filter letting in dust! In my previous vehicle, sold at 91000Kms, I have used BMC most of the time I had it and in 91000Kms I have never found any layer of dust (or oil) on the clean side of the airbox. Same with other vehicles I used with BMC/K&N in the past. [Note: I have put Jimny's K&N stock replacement filter in tbhp classifieds, I moved over to BMC stock replacement filter.]
Sankar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th October 2023, 21:27   #2225
BHPian

I'm really amused to see a passionate discussion on throttle controllers here. I'll share my 2 cents if that's alright.

I'm really happy to go slower in my Jimny, since that means I'll be driving it for longer. And that'll make me happier.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Pepega.
pepega is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th October 2023, 10:32   #2226
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepega View Post
I'm really amused to see a passionate discussion on throttle controllers here.
I passionately hate the throttle controllers. People may have uses for it but too much money for something that change the ramp rate of flexing of the right foot. Driver won't know if he is going full throttle or part throttle with the throttle controller because he is not full throttle at the pedal but the controller is sending full throttle voltage to ECU. I would like to know if I am full throttle or part throttle and plan/drive accordingly. Then these controllers leave the top end of the pedal travel dead meaning pushing the pedal further does not change anything because the butterfly is already 100% open at 50% or 60% pedal travel. Say for example the throttle pedal travel from closed throttle to full 100% throttle is 10cm, the controller will alter the voltage so that closed throttle to full 100% throttle actuation happens in 5cm pedal travel. Thats what it does, basically. Remaining 5cm pedal travel will do nothing, because throttle is already at 100%. Personally I prefer the pedal travel to be linear with full travel so one can modulate it, and importantly know if I am part throttle or full throttle. Then these newer controller devices have many modes in it, so one can fiddle with the settings and try out various throttle ramp rates.
Sankar is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th October 2023, 13:35   #2227
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: Thread going off topic. Please continue all discussions related to Throttle Controllers on this dedicated thread.
Aditya is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 10:42   #2228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984 View Post
I had booked alpha AT on this Sunday. After this offer I have put it on hold. I was to get delivery yesterday itself but got delayed due to some confusion- feeling lucky now.

I think a scross 1.6 type price cut is on cards soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
Following is the break-up of the total discount to be negotiated tomorrow:

1. Cash discount (consumer discount)= 50k,
2. Loyalty bonus / Exchange bonus= 50k,
3. Corporate discount= 20k,
4. Scratch card discount= 21k (ask for 21k discount afront),
5. Negotiate free accessories worth= 30k.

If NEXA guys show attitude, politely say thanks and leave your mobile number and ask them to call if they struggle to sell MY2023 units in the 2nd week of January, 2024.

And, don't forget my beer bucket if you are able to drive out the Jimny from your dealership by this Dussehra, with 1+2+3+4+5 above.
Friends, getting back to the topic. The zeta 1lakh offer ends tomorrow. FOMO is getting me, what if Jimny is discontinued soon.

I am in dilemma whether to get the Zeta ( now 2 lakh+ cheaper than Alpha, and not missing essentials like 6 airbags) or wait further for discounts on alpha. I have no immediate need of the car plus I don't think dealers in my place (Jamshedpur, Jharkhand) have been able to sell existing alphas or even zetas after the offer (from the active call the sales guys are making, I know what colours they have in stock).

I am sure I want a Jimny irrespective of its fate; but I would love to save as much as I can to splurge on fuel and enhancements
Old 30th October 2023, 11:23   #2229
BHPian

Quote:
Friends, getting back to the topic. The zeta 1lakh offer ends tomorrow. FOMO is getting me, what if Jimny is discontinued soon.

I am in dilemma whether to get the Zeta ( now 2 lakh+ cheaper than Alpha, and not missing essentials like 6 airbags) or wait further for discounts on alpha. I have no immediate need of the car plus I don't think dealers in my place (Jamshedpur, Jharkhand) have been able to sell existing alphas or even zetas after the offer (from the active call the sales guys are making, I know what colours they have in stock).

I am sure I want a Jimny irrespective of its fate; but I would love to save as much as I can to splurge on fuel and enhancements
Get the discounted Zeta variant. You can have Nexa put the alloys and fog lights if you want to be closer to the Alpha variant. The 2 lakh rupee discount over Alpha can go towards customizing your Jimny as you like.

I doubt this car will be discontinued, might just be relegated to a small numbers seller. It uplifts the Nexa portfolio to actually including lifestyle cars and for that reason, I think Maruti will keep selling it.
Old 30th October 2023, 11:52   #2230
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Pal. The worthy differences between Zeta and Alpha are honestly these three things;
1. Factory Tinted Glass
2. Cruise Control
3. Headlamp Washers
Personally, I wouldn’t try retro-fitting any of these in a Zeta. Hence the Alpha becomes the automatic choice.

BTW. For the benefit of everyone reading this thread and who may be worried about the room in a Jimny, I sat with Guru, gsferrari on Friday in his Alpha Jimny in Madras.
He is a tall and big built person and so am I. Honestly just so everyone here is aware, we did NOT bump into each other nor rub shoulders or arms.
And both of us found the legroom and headroom to be more than sufficient for us.
shankar.balan is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 12:17   #2231
BHPian

What a beautiful collaboration. Apologies if this has been posted before (Couldn't find it here though)

Mr. Wangchuk X Ladakh X Indian Army X Jimny

Last edited by TB16 : 30th October 2023 at 12:30.
TB16 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 12:24   #2232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
BTW. For the benefit of everyone reading this thread and who may be worried about the room in a Jimny, I sat with Guru, gsferrari on Friday in his Alpha Jimny in Madras.
He is a tall and big built person and so am I. Honestly just so everyone here is aware, we did NOT bump into each other nor rub shoulders or arms.
And both of us found the legroom and headroom to be more than sufficient for us.
What about the under-thigh support offered by the rear bench? I'd be interested in Guru's and your views since both of you are of above-average build. I'm 6' and found it inadequate. Do you think it would be uncomfortable on long highway cruises (which is my almost-exclusive use case)?

Last edited by dearchichi : 30th October 2023 at 12:46.
Old 30th October 2023, 12:43   #2233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dearchichi View Post
What about the under-thigh support offered by the rear bench? I'd be interested in Guru's and your views since both of you are of above-average build. I'm 6" and found it inadequate. Do you think it would be uncomfortable on long highway cruises (which is my almost-exclusive use case)?
I don't do back seats

The rear bench is not brilliant. Under thigh support is lacking for anyone taller than 5'7" - 5'8". For 6 footers, it is tolerable for short distances of 100-150 Km. I take regular breaks on the highway with the Jimny. With the Fortuner and Pajero I could do 200 Km between breaks. With the Jimny it is around 100 at which point I take a small bum break. At the 200km stop I ensure I refuel and chill out for a bit before continuing.
gsferrari is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 17:14   #2234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB16 View Post
Mr. Wangchuk X Ladakh X Indian Army X Jimny
What a beautifully made film. Absolutely top class.
Also fantastic to see the work being done by our engineers for the Indian Army.

The Jimny shines through in this film. (although the film is sponsored by MSIL so...) and there is of course no mention of the problems faced with the brakes at high-altitude, nor of the NA engine getting out of breath at those heights.
dileep is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 20:44   #2235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Personally, I wouldn’t try retro-fitting any of these in a Zeta.
I read "in my Zeta"! We all are eagerly waiting to post congratulations to your first ownership post.

I found the Cruise control feature extremely useful for the 500 km+ rides in Jimny on highway/ expressway. And the tinted glass keeps the cabin relatively cooler when parked under the direct sun.

Headlamp spray is not that useful. The insects and bird droppings get cemented on the headlamp surface. I need to rub with wet microfiber to get rid of those stains from the vertical surface of the headlamp.

Most Viewed