Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2023, 21:03   #571
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvsneela View Post
Sorry to interfere ..( might be out of league)
After watching the price , my Spresso feels super VFM for small family who wants SUV look without 4 wheel power but car like comfort , Maruti reliability & service , easy manoeuvrability, small foot print, good mileage , fun to drive etc.,
Slightly OT: A lot of people say a lot of things about that little S Presso. I like it a lot because it is small, cute and nimble. And it does the job admirably in our terrible city traffic and all these lousy roads too. My neighbour has one and she drives it daily and is very happy with it.
The car is such that it will work beautifully even in our hills and narrow roads purely because of its small footprint.
i like the S Presso best in Bright White - with black wheel arch cladding, black bumpers and door handles. Retro sort of Alloy wheels in a similar design to the OEM Steel wheels shod with bigger, fatter tyres. I also like the Ignis a lot again in white with the above ‘look’.
These are immensely practical and eminently sensible cars for our conditions.

This is why I keep saying that the Jimny makes very sound practical sense. Yes it is expensive at the price, but its size, footprint, lightness and capability are unmatched as a combination. I really am getting terribly tempted.

Posting this video to back because I just came across this excellent YouTube video of Zigwheels - the topic is the Jimny and Thar, analysed in a simple academic no frills discussion.

Last edited by Turbanator : 11th June 2023 at 05:35. Reason: Back to Back post merged.
shankar.balan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th June 2023, 00:11   #572
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

What monstrosity!?

Link

Maruti Jimny Review-img_20230611_001325.jpg

Maruti Jimny Review-img_20230611_001303.jpg

Jimny with 20inch aftermarket alloys.

I guess this should be a prime example of why the government doesn't allow modifications to a car officially.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 11th June 2023 at 00:16.
BoneCollector is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th June 2023, 09:20   #573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
What monstrosity!?
Jimny with 20inch aftermarket alloys..
Excellent...
...whats next?

Front & rear wings (spoilers), I guess.
But then, what will they do for ground effect when they hit Monaco with this, er, car?
aravind422 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2023, 09:23   #574
th2
BHPian

Are folks picking up the Jimny without a TD? Any update on when TDs will become available? I can't commit to one without a TD!
th2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2023, 10:03   #575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by th2 View Post
Are folks picking up the Jimny without a TD? Any update on when TDs will become available? I can't commit to one without a TD!
Picking up any car, more so a car like the Jimny, without a proper test drive would be really foolhardy.

In Dehradun, NEXA at GMS Road mentioned that they are waiting for RTO clearances and temporary number plates before they can offer TDs. It might take another week before we can lay our hands on the wheel.
dileep is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th June 2023, 10:55   #576
BANNED

Spoke to Nexa chaps in Bangalore this morning enquiring about test drive.
Vehicle only available for display and test drive by June end.
Not before.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2023, 11:02   #577
BHPian

The Alpha variant gets Alloy wheel for boot door mounted spare wheel. I am attaching the photograph.

Also, here are few photographs of the ZETA variant Pearl Arctic White colour to understand how the ORVM and Door handles will look like.

The ORVM outer surface and door handles are Matt Black. Looks good for this rugged SUV.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-img_20230610_162241380.jpg  

Maruti Jimny Review-img_20230610_173633730.jpg  

Maruti Jimny Review-img_20230610_173722326_hdr.jpg  

Maruti Jimny Review-img_20230610_174339454_hdr.jpg  

Maruti Jimny Review-img_20230610_174406913_hdr.jpg  

RijuC is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 11th June 2023, 11:35   #578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
The Alpha variant gets Alloy wheel for boot door mounted spare wheel. I am attaching the photograph.

Also, here are few photographs of the ZETA variant Pearl Arctic White colour to understand how the ORVM and Door handles will look like.

The ORVM outer surface and door handles are Matt Black. Looks good for this rugged SUV.
The rims on the Alpha have that deep dish look many try to achieve by fitting off-road wheels. I see sense on retaining these on black Jimnys. Would be absolute treat to look at.
hydraulicsteer is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th June 2023, 13:18   #579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
What monstrosity!?

Jimny with 20inch aftermarket alloys.

In a lighter vein;

Why should Thar have all the fun ?

People spend insane amount of Time, Money & Effort in modifying the Thar; which is, at best, a 'Doppelganger of Jeep Wrangler'.

When a 'Cheaper Copy' like Thar, which is so much VFM, gets so much attention from the Mod guys; why not give a part of that attention to a 'Costlier Original' like Jimny? :

Last edited by Rehaan : 12th June 2023 at 10:17. Reason: Shortening quoted post :)
INDIAN_VAGABOND is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 11th June 2023, 13:32   #580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post

Any idea if they can take 215s?

Would be perfect to swap these with the alloys of Alpha
Old 11th June 2023, 15:31   #581
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
Some questions:

1. Is there a TPMS sensor in any of the variant?
2. How is the sound quality difference between Zeta and Alpha variant considering both are 4 speaker setup but Alpha has arkamys tuning
3. Is the android auto / apple carplay on Zeta variant also wireless?
4. Are the interiors of the Jinny washable like that of Thar?

Thanks for answering or pointing to any review which covers all of above queries.
So it looks like even the Zeta variant got wireless apple play as per one review I saw.

No TPMS sensor in any of the variant.

Need someone to please answer on pt.2 (Sound quality difference) and pt.4 (washable interiors?) above
Old 11th June 2023, 16:06   #582
BHPian

Last post on this thread. Because closure is much needed to counter the sunk cost fallacy.

Went to check the Creta and Seltos top trims after cancelling the Jimny booking. The Creta is too big for the current purpose and both cars don't have the DCT versions available as of now anyway.

Saw the Kia Sonet and found it to be the perfect size, and took a TD on a whim. Really enjoyed the 1.0 turbo DCT, the extensive list of features, that matte grey finish and the near immediate availability. (Also the bottle holders. Definitely the bottle holders. )

Will feel a tad wistful whenever I see a neon Jimny driving by, but will take solace in the fact that I stayed true to my values which do not allow attaching an unjustified premium to emotion over value.

Unless it's motorcycles.

Which, also helps me understand why there's a big enough set of people who will pay MSIL's asking price for the Jimny. Simply because that is the power of emotion. There's no value that can be attached to it. I really do hope you all enjoy your car thoroughly!

Enough rambling.

Except, on the parting note, I must mention that I am absolutely grossed out by the attitude of MSIL throughout this five month long "launch" exercise. That behaviour absolutely influenced my decision to exclude their cars from the consideration set for this replacement. As it will for the ones that follow.

I don't think they will learn about the criticality of CLV. But I hope they do.

It's been awesome interacting with you all!

Fin.

Last edited by Himalayan_Ice : 11th June 2023 at 16:09. Reason: Word(s)
Himalayan_Ice is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 11th June 2023, 16:24   #583
Team-BHP Support

By the initial response at least here, it appears Maruti erred in launching the 5 door and should have instead launched the 3 door, just like the export model. Perhaps at 2 lac lower they could have got more customers rather delaying for 5 doors and launching at price where people compare with softroaders.

Let’s see what happens in few months after initial euphoria has settled. After test drives, more and more people are going to compare this with other cars. A family of 3 or 4 is definitely going to pick a Vitara or something similar from other manufacturers rather this given the little price difference.
Turbanator is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 11th June 2023, 17:19   #584
BHPian

Finally got to TD the Jimny. Since I have a Polo Tsi and Scross 1.3 I will use them as reference points to compare the dynamics. Some Observations:

1. Turning radius: Don’t go by the numbers in real life scenarios it won’t be a problem. Steering turns a bit more but it’s very smooth.

2. One of the best weighted steering from Maruti. (Heavier than Scross and lighter than Polo)

3. Ride quality is top notch, suspension is superior than Thar. As good as the S-cross, in fact better in off road situations. You can go fast over rough patches without feeling them filtering into the cabin.

4. Rear seat under thigh support is less but it becomes manageable when reclined. Some after market cushioning can fix the under thigh support.

5. Auto is good, holds the revs when pushed hard. OD button will help in overtakes but not much, will have to plan overtakes. It’s no where near 6AT of Polo but for its intended purpose it is good enough.

6. Tyres don’t look that bad and are good enough unless you plan to head straight to a technical off-road track.

7. Bluish Black is the best color 😉 (Personal bias)

Now waiting to get a TD of manual Jimny. Will accordingly choose the variant. If the MT is as bad as being reported then I will switch to AT.

All in all Jimny is a heart Vs head decision specially for non off roaders. It definitely pulls on the heart strings, the Nexa showroom I went to is under a metro station and people coming out of the metro were stopping to take a selfie with the Jimny. And it was beyond just novelty factor because no one was taking selfie with the Fronx. We can blame Maruti for trying to milk that feeling but doesn’t most companies do that all that time. Take Apple as an example, you don’t need an iPhone you want an iPhone.

Same way you don’t need the Jimny, you want the Jimny and that’s why it is going to sell!!
Zanskar is offline   (45) Thanks
Old 11th June 2023, 17:51   #585
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanskar View Post
Finally got to TD the Jimny.

1. Turning radius: Don’t go by the numbers in real life scenarios it won’t be a problem. Steering turns a bit more but it’s very smooth.

2. Take Apple as an example, you don’t need an iPhone you want an iPhone.

Same way you don’t need the Jimny, you want the Jimny and that’s why it is going to sell!!
Good work. Thanks for being objective and putting to rest some of the wilder assumptions, biases and plain ranting which we have been witness to here.
Its great to have a plain speaking set of observations of this kind from a normal regular consumer who has test driven the vehicle.
I hope and trust this will allay a lot of people’s unwarranted fears.
shankar.balan is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks