Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2023, 20:14   #616
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Reason: the grill and the colour don't stand out. The colours where the grill stands out as well as cladding seem to look better.
I too wanted grey, but went with white because the matt black grille/bumper etc is a good contrast to the white but in against the grey, it doesn't look that great.
4x4addict is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th June 2023, 20:19   #617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishsingh View Post
I saw the Jimny. However, I will be going ahead and canceling the booking for the Jimny.
Much too often, I have seen people trying hard to be someone they are not, and I felt I would fall into the list of pretenders:
The last 3 words nailed it. This showoff trend is not worth the money.

Let me add, I've seen many posts, where the wife's have taken a liking for this dinky toy. She will curse you till death once she has to make a 3point UTurn, on this.
Vinod_nair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2023, 21:29   #618
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
And she is home

Posing with the another CSUV we got earlier this year; Both are 1.5��

Congrats on the Jimny.
Does this replace your maroon thar?
And does the VW replace your BMW?
Old 12th June 2023, 21:37   #619
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
And she is home
Got Seat covers from the official accessory catalogue, waiting on few other items which arenít in stock including mudflaps and footmats
Many congratulations on your purchase!! Now we have someone in the forum who actually owns the Jimny and can help us with the little queries that we may still have
Quote:
Originally Posted by dileep View Post
Interesting to see that the front seat covers are so designed that they do not cover the side of the seat which holds the Airbag.
The seat covers are looking really good, but I noticed that they seem to have taken away the only storage space the vehicle has - the pockets at the back of the front seats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post
I was a Marshal in the last Himalayan Car Rally in 1990
Ah, that rally - As I kid I remember witnessing it once while I stayed with my family in Haridwar, with gypsies flying by..
One of my cousins used to bring his friend's rally gypsy and used to take us around with my elder brother in navigator's seat, and me tucking between the two seats in that cramped cabin. That was my first experience with a Gypsy, and it has only grown since then; with me buying a gypsy and now owning it from the last 12 years !
mpant05 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th June 2023, 22:22   #620
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDS View Post
Wow! Wow!! Congrats :-)
Looking forward to feedback, especially the automatic. How it drives, Revs at 100 KMPH cruising speed, is O/D off button usable enough to do quick overtakes on highways, Steering feedback, 4H/4L if you get a chance, and so on 😛

Thanks for the gorgeous first-hand pics!
Short day 1 review, Jimny can definitely do with a better engine and GB combo.
The Current set up is just about adequate. I have other faster vehicles, so itís okay for me. RPM at 100km/hr with O/D on is 2950 RPM. Steering feedback is good though no of turns from lock to lock is a bit excessive as I struggled to bring it back to centre on a sharp turn.

O/D when switched off pushes the RPM by a 1000 RPM, and it will definitely help in quick overtaking. Just tried to switch to 4H/4L, and it works as expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Congratulations! First delivery on TBHP and lovely colour, do you want to wrap that front grill black? Or atleast the chrome bits to grey.

Looking forward to real world use review.
I will replace the grill with a black one at some stage.
Will definitely pen down my views as I put some kms on odometer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNA411 View Post
Congrats on the Jimny.
Does this replace your maroon thar?
And does the VW replace your BMW?
Thanks
Nope and Nope, they both will stay.
akshay4587 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th June 2023, 22:22   #621
BHPian

Has anyone here changed the variant / color of their booking after the price reveal? Does it change the position on the waitlist?
Old 12th June 2023, 22:47   #622
BHPian

Pardon me if my question sounds naive. I have been wondering whether the engine would require a turbocharger at high altitudes? In Kargil I noticed most of the State Garages (government) Boleros were fitted with Turbo chargers, but the Gypsy Kingís were not.
rajesh2812 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2023, 22:58   #623
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishsingh View Post
I felt I would fall into the list of pretenders:

I also fall into this list of pretenders I guess . Got a DSLR (lying pretty much unused but I did buy a new lens recently lol). Was about to buy Vulcan S (thank god, good sense prevailed) and have now almost finalized Thar CT.

The way I am justifying this is using favorite term of this forum "YOLO" I'm pretty much sure that no one from this list of pretenders regret their decision though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedub89 View Post

A 3-door Jimny could have played the niche card better.

It will be interesting to see how the sales pan out in the next couple of months.
3 Door Jimny in my opinion caters to only a very narrow set of buyers (hardcore off-roaders) and then it has to compete with muscular Thar which further reduces potential buyers.

5 Doors Jimny is going to make sense to many more people (apart from off-roaders, collectors) who can afford the car, fancied Gypsy, Jeep early in their life, couldn't purchase Thar due to impracticality and disapproval of their better half. Midlife crisis may be the right word for these folks With Maruti's fuss free ownership and practicality of this car, this car could be a hit.

A cheaper price point definitely could have sealed the deal for many more folks in hills wanting to upgrade from their Altos and who are perfectly happy with lack of some of relatively advanced features.
sandeeprawat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2023, 23:07   #624
BHPian

The first 5D Jimny I've seen with offset rims and larger tyres - I think they are 285/75 R15

kesh4munni is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2023, 23:19   #625
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh2812 View Post
Pardon me if my question sounds naive. I have been wondering whether the engine would require a turbocharger at high altitudes? In Kargil I noticed most of the State Garages (government) Boleros were fitted with Turbo chargers, but the Gypsy King’s were not.
Interesting question.

Yes, it is true that a naturally aspirated engine will lose on an average 3% of power for every 1,000 feet increase in elevation, turbo charging is not something that you can bolt on just like that.

The reason you did not see turbo-charged Gypsys is (anyone/all of the following):

1. It is an expensive proposition & a complex one at that
2. There were/are no bolt-on Turbo kits available for the G13BB engine
3. The G13BB engine is not known for its bottom-end torque, turbo lag would have further worsened it.
4. Bottom end of this G13BB engine cannot handle forced induction.

The MPFI engines are able to handle the higher elevation problems much more easily than let's say a carburetted engine.

I don't think the Jimny engine will require turbocharging to handle higher elevations; the performance will definitely get affected but will not make is unusable unless you're participating in a competitive hill climb. I believe bolt-on turbocharger kits are available for this Jimny engine (K15B) but not in India.

Last edited by Vikram Arya : 12th June 2023 at 23:21. Reason: Addition of content
Vikram Arya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th June 2023, 23:25   #626
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesh4munni View Post
The first 5D Jimny I've seen with offset rims and larger tyres - I think they are 285/75 R15

https://Youtube.com/watch?v=dnlXzvBzkaA?feature=share4
The color looks dope! Is this bluish black?

Drive on,
Shubu
shibujp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2023, 23:26   #627
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogWheel View Post
Has anyone here changed the variant / color of their booking after the price reveal? Does it change the position on the waitlist?
My SA told me that color choice can be updated later, and even you can change the model also. It wont change the waiting serial number.
I am still holding on to my booking, though i have made up my mind not to buy it.
I went to check Jimny again (before my final verdict) over the weekend at Pasco motors, gurgaon. But, i couldn't convince myself to spend 17 lacs for the same. So, i am out of waiting queue for Jimny.
I am sure by festival season, the waiting for Jimny will be down to zero and they will give discounts of at least Rs. 50K or maybe throw in the accessory kit worth Rs. 30K to fix the overpricing. SA confirmed that there are many cancellations, and more will happen as soon as TD starts.
I will also wait few more months for new SUVs like Honda elevate, Creta 2024, Thar 5 door to come in. My sense of urgency was due to my Honda city iVTEC hitting the NGT ceiling of 15 years in Mar 24.
If not for this, I would have been driving my Honda City 2009 iVTEC for 10 more years

Last edited by jimmzbond : 12th June 2023 at 23:32. Reason: added more info
jimmzbond is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th June 2023, 23:46   #628
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
The color looks dope! Is this bluish black?

Drive on,
Shubu
Nope, it's Nexa Blue.
Vignesh Vee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2023, 01:07   #629
RDS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh2812 View Post
Pardon me if my question sounds naive. I have been wondering whether the engine would require a turbocharger at high altitudes? In Kargil I noticed most of the State Garages (government) Boleros were fitted with Turbo chargers, but the Gypsy King’s were not.
Been there, done that in car(s) with similar power figures as Jimny. You can clear all these passes without Turbo.

Further, engine is well tuned for these kind of situations - I don't see issues there, rather I see that as one of best use cases!!

Having said that, I would have pre-poned my buying decision had Suzuki added some more punch to the vehicle but that is due to my highway runs.

Now, before someone comes and starts speaking on "it is not a race track car, get a sedan....etc etc.", let me make my point clear - Life is not all black or white, or extremes, same is the case with my journeys.

I have to cover significant distance before reaching mountains, and highways form a major part of journey. Overtaking is a simple and clear requirement of these journeys, and that requires better power.

Hence, awaiting real user reviews who do long journeys on Jimny.

As far as I am concerned, I might even shift to live on hills in 1-2 years, and if that decision happens, Jimny would be a no brainer for me.

Last edited by RDS : 13th June 2023 at 01:17.
RDS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2023, 01:52   #630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
There's been so much talk on turning radius on this thread. And see what is Maruti highlighting in their front full page ad
Well they also say Never Turn Back in the same ad.

Smart, Maruti, very smart.
digitalnirvana is offline   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed