Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
  Search this Thread
3,017,393 views
Old 14th June 2023, 12:07   #676
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 5
Thanked: 8 Times
Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by aayusht View Post
This is testament to the fact that teambhp opinions are not reflective of the general public. We are an enthusiast community & the auto companies need to look at the wider population. A close friend who works at BMW India also called out that Teambhp's sentiments don't echo what they see as the actual demand/trend/customer responses.

I guess, Jimny is priced in the right ballpark.
Guess your friend could be right Looking at the diverse reactions of our members, can you infer that MSIL is in the process of price discovery ? Do you expect more variant to be introduced as a result ?
divinay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 12:09   #677
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Delhi
Posts: 117
Thanked: 351 Times
Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vellatechie View Post

If you check any car launched in the last 2 years, every car has a waiting period. Even the likes of Magnite. Waiting period means nothing if we don't know how much the company wants to manufacture each month.
MSIL says they want to manufacture ~3000-4000 Jimnys / month. (Refer: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5562800 (Maruti Jimny Review))


You might be right about this being just a PR exercise. But increased waiting time backfires also. For example: I had booked Kia Seltos in 2021 & due to the long wait time I ended up finally buying Jeep Compass (Despite having to stretch my budget by ~35%) and am happy with the decision. I know many others too who wont wait for so long.

Disclaimer: I was never remotely thinking of buying a Jimny

Last edited by aayusht : 14th June 2023 at 12:11. Reason: added content
aayusht is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 12:14   #678
Senior - BHPian
 
Cresterk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Kerala
Posts: 1,656
Thanked: 5,684 Times
Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I don't know what to believe; such a wrong presentation of facts by the leading manufacturer. And I was cribbing about that Nexa sales guy who said the wait list for Jimny is One & half years now So it all starts right from the top.


Maruti started booking in mid-Jan, and in 5 months or so, they had 30K bookings implying 6000 a month or 200 per day, which suddenly has decreased to 92 per day or less than half what they initially told.

And they are also mum on the cancellations; many members, including myself, have cancelled for one reason or another.

Let's see the numbers here and talk about this sometime during festival time.
For some reason, massive waiting periods have become something of a status symbol in India after 2020 and now every manufacturer is reluctant to say their car is readily available. Apparently, if your car has high waiting, then it means it has high demand. It could also be a lack of supply due to production issues but those are conveniently omitted.

There are dozens of fortuners and thars lying in dealership yards being silently offered at small discounts to people in the know. But go into this blind and you will be told a month waiting to make it look like it's in high demand and discounts negotiations aren't available. Hycross and hyrider has huge waiting periods so they don't want the fortuner to look like it is in less demand. Same for Thar and ScorpioN. Half of it is just a ruse at this point to artificially inflate the price.
Cresterk is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 12:14   #679
Team-BHP Support
 
Turbanator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 6,753
Thanked: 28,578 Times
Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubermensch View Post

My question for the people who have booked it and haven’t cancelled: what is the waiting period you’ve been quoted?
Some of the smaller places have stocks. A fellow member helped me in getting one same day. That was on Sunday but I had to pass as I didn’t liked the sitting posture. Will keep an eye if we can change the seat from another model or maybe Maruti launches something in near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aayusht View Post
This is testament to the fact that teambhp opinions are not reflective of the general public.
I asked a question a few posts above. Looks you missed. Who should we trust - Maruti the same company that says they were booking 92 cars daily until price launch and in same breath says they have 30000 booking and counting and it’s less then six months from the date when they started taking bookings.




Quote:
A close friend who works at BMW India also called out that Teambhp's sentiments don't echo what they see as the actual demand/trend/customer responses.
A majority of buyers of cars, across any segment will not be even aware of our portal. Ignorance is not bliss, always

What I am sure is that most manufacturers view our portal with great respect as we are nothing but end customers and not some journalists who have to be taken care off to get favourable reviews/ feedback.

Last edited by Turbanator : 14th June 2023 at 12:20.
Turbanator is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 12:18   #680
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 20,219
Thanked: 15,921 Times
Re: Maruti Jimny Review

These are all PR and Marketing stunts.. at least for now I think so, coz number of people whom I know who have cancelled is more than ones who are buying, we will know once we see sales figures for the coming months. Fact remains it is a niche car which has been launched at a fancy sticker price. Breaching 15 L OTR barrier was the biggest mistake they could have done if they were looking at volume sales.

Now bunch of folks who have lot of money in hand to play around will buy, some buy just coz they need to have the latest and the fancy stuff. For many in the second category the 20L is not a big deal. Expect a boom in mod jobs also hitting, especially in the northern belt of the country where trends are set

Last edited by Jaggu : 14th June 2023 at 12:19.
Jaggu is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 12:30   #681
BHPian
 
EshanS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Pune
Posts: 66
Thanked: 182 Times
Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by aayusht View Post
This is testament to the fact that teambhp opinions are not reflective of the general public. We are an enthusiast community & the auto companies need to look at the wider population. A close friend who works at BMW India also called out that Teambhp's sentiments don't echo what they see as the actual demand/trend/customer responses.

I guess, Jimny is priced in the right ballpark.
Absolutely, every word is true on the fact that TeamBhp is a small circle.

In addition, looks like the waiting will strike another price increase in the coming months. Typical Maruti to hike prices by slowing down production, especially when their majority of the economical passenger vehicle market is India. Like for manufacturers, most marketing happens in the initial launch price, later on minor hikes are not reported neither known unless you visit the dealer.
EshanS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 12:34   #682
Senior - BHPian
 
gsferrari's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,018
Thanked: 1,830 Times
Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Fact remains it is a niche car which has been launched at a fancy sticker price. Breaching 15 L OTR barrier was the biggest mistake they could have done if they were looking at volume sales.
Jaggu the Zeta MT can be had for 15.5-15.7 OTR. You just need to get rid of unnecessary costs like:

1. Extended Warranty (Maybe AT guys who will never go off-road can go for this. Otherwise save 25-27K for something MSIL will do everything in their power to squirm out of)
2. CCP Warranty (5000 bucks)
3. Suzuki Connect (12000 bucks)
4. Suzuki Membership (900)
And finally, do the insurance yourself and save a pretty packet.

Don't you think it is worth it at this price? You do get 6 airbags. With Ford out of the picture which other manufacturer is offering 6 airbags at this price? Perhaps you don't need 6 airbags. Maybe they could drop another 50K-60K and provide only 2 airbags?

We used to pounce on Maruti for being stingy with airbags. It appears they have taken the attacks personally and painted the Jimny with as many airbags as they could

MSIL have been consistent with the messaging that they do not want the Jimny to be a volume product. I think they have priced it in-line with that global vision of retaining some sort of niche/exclusivity. So much for democratization of off-roading in India. Gypsy zindabad!
gsferrari is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 12:41   #683
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 86
Thanked: 190 Times
Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Star View Post
Love to get my hands on the Shovel and Poncho, also any clue if the jacket shown in the brochure will be available later?
Wow - so what are they encouraging:

- Wear the Poncho
- Use the Knife
- Use the Shovel to dig a hole...

This is getting very sinister
Clouseau is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 12:43   #684
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 98
Thanked: 312 Times
Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubermensch View Post
My question for the people who have booked it and havenít cancelled: what is the waiting period youíve been quoted?
I booked it sometime in the last week of March when it was launched "officially" in the Bangalore showrooms.

The sales advisor is ready to provide delivery based on variant/color (currently Alpha AT) by the first week of July as per his current commitment probably because it is the top end variant.

However, he is non commital on when the display and test drive cars will be available.
kesh4munni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 12:50   #685
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 20,219
Thanked: 15,921 Times
Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
Jaggu the Zeta MT can be had for 15.5-15.7 OTR. You just need to get rid of unnecessary costs like:
Top end auto is what I was referring when I mentioned 15 L OTR.

Quote:
Don't you think it is worth it at this price? You do get 6 airbags.
The dinky car needs it to clear crash tests, not coz they are feeling generous. To get an idea of how much airbags cost https://boodmo.com/catalog/3662-air_.../m212-hyundai/
Jaggu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 12:51   #686
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Delhi
Posts: 117
Thanked: 351 Times
Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by divinay View Post
Guess your friend could be right Looking at the diverse reactions of our members, can you infer that MSIL is in the process of price discovery ? Do you expect more variant to be introduced as a result ?
Dont know. Who knows MSIL might introduce cheaper variants. Hasn't Mahindra done the same with Thar with new entry level variants?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post

I asked a question a few posts above. Looks you missed. Who should we trust - Maruti the same company that says they were booking 92 cars daily until price launch and in same breath says they have 30000 booking and counting and itís less then six months from the date when they started taking bookings.

A majority of buyers of cars, across any segment will not be even aware of our portal. Ignorance is not bliss, always
True - the community is unbiased & might be reflective of at least some sort of sentiment albeit enthusiast oriented. We serve insights to OEMs on a platter

You are right when you say - how can we trust MSIL. This might be a marketing gimmick. If so, this won't give them long term momentum.

However, many people might actually book cars after getting clarity on prices. Example: My sister who is in the market for a new car, bothered to look at Fronx only when price was revealed.
aayusht is offline  
Old 14th June 2023, 12:52   #687
Senior - BHPian
 
gsferrari's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,018
Thanked: 1,830 Times
Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Nobody would have been happier than me had it been even 16L OTR. Now it is 18.5 in some cities. Chennai it is closer to 17.75 after ditching all the extra charges.
gsferrari is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 13:00   #688
BHPian
 
mathur2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Rohini, Delhi
Posts: 104
Thanked: 147 Times
Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vellatechie View Post
Waiting period means nothing if we don't know how much the company wants to manufacture each month.
I had booked my Jimny Alpha MT on 13th January and yet there is little hope of getting it in June. My dealership told they would be getting only 2-3 Jimnys a month from company. So not only Jimny is premium priced by Maruti Suzuki but they are also making it scarse.
mathur2012 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 13:02   #689
BHPian
 
astrodex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Goa
Posts: 141
Thanked: 577 Times
Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Looks like the cars are finally showing up at non-metro dealerships. I had booked a Red AT Alpha Dualtone, but seems like they have gotten a limited set of vehicles. A bluish black AT Alpha is readily available. Looking at the pricing, I want rather not pay 50k for a black roof, so non-dual tone works out better but I am not sold on the full black color, prefer lighter colors for heat and ease in keeping clean. But the heart strings are tugging to get the car soon . In a dilema on whether to go for the available vehicle.
astrodex is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 13:23   #690
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 20
Thanked: 97 Times
Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Well.... not sure how much of this is true , but yet another logic defying statistic. But then am no expert.... so who knows!

https://www.cartoq.com/maruti-suzuki...ouncement/amp/
trishulpani is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks