Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2023, 10:08   #721
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

This is excellently articulated in the video.
[Posting this video to back because I just came across this excellent YouTube video of Zigwheels - the topic is the Jimny and Thar, analysed in a simple academic no frills discussion.
[/quote]
Old 15th June 2023, 10:25   #722
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheru8b View Post
The Jimny automatic has just 4 gears. Hence, by the time I reached a speed of 60 kmh, I felt the car revving a lot. Normally, an automatic would move to the 5th gear by 60 kmh.

However, the Jimny does have a manual overdrive button on the right ride of the gear stick. On pressing that, overdrive is activated, which brings the revs down by 1000 rpm. By the time 80 or 100 kmh would be reached, I'm guessing, the revvs would again be too high causing higher fuel consumption and unnecessary torque.

I wish the auto gearbox had 5 or 6 gears. Very needed for highway driving.
At 100km/hr RPM is about 2950; and the vehicle is as silent as it on idle and there is no stress or Protest from the engine; it can easily sit at 100km/hr all day.
akshay4587 is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 10:59   #723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
At 100km/hr RPM is about 2950; and the vehicle is as silent as it on idle and there is no stress or Protest from the engine; it can easily sit at 100km/hr all day.
Thanks for this. The best thing I heard today about the Jimny. Is it really that silent at 100 kmph?
jackofsome is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 11:10   #724
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
This was One important thing that was worrying me. Test drives of 100kmph in cities is not possible. Hence, Thank you for the clarification. Then Jimny it is .
Congratulations on your new Jimny.

Last edited by murlidar : 15th June 2023 at 11:11.
murlidar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 12:26   #725
BHPian

If somebody is yearning for a 6AT over the 4AT that Maruti provided, let me share my experience from the test drive of Jimny 4AT and comparison with my K15C 6AT XL6. In theory even i was pissed off when Maruti disclosed the choice of 4AT in Jimny. This is no technical review but just a mango person sharing the practical experiences. Staying in Noida, gave the opportunity to try out the car on both well paved road as well as narrow trail to river bed and broken village roads.

Shifts are not felt in either of these. So from that sense TC is sorted. Though I don't appreciate Maruti's pricing of the car but I am happy with them not getting greedy with AT. At 120k it is a very fair price for the shift quality alone, when many pseudo SUVs are plonking in an AMT that too for 70-90k premium. That is atrocious for the price and power those cars come with.

6AT is hunting for gears more frequently compared to 4AT. Since majority of the time even Jimny will be spending as a daily car for many i assume, 6AT is inferior to 4AT in moving from traffic signals, speed breakers, slow moving traffic like NH8(peak hours Gurgaon). Jimny holds the gear longer than 6AT. I feel this is going to be fun and practical in both city and offroad conditions.

With respect to expectation of 4AT feeling strained 100 or beyond. Let me make it clear even 6AT is not a engine transmission combo that is happy beyond 120. One can call it unpleasant, but I personally being a long distance tourer, prefer the 90-110 kmph most. That gives me drivability of 700+ kms/day without any fatigue. If somebody needs to cruise at speeds higher than that look for another engine as either of the GB-K15 combination is comfortable beyond that. No saying one cannot keep it beyond 120kmph.

6AT does offer pedal shifters in all Maruti iterations. It does give one the capability to down shift faster via fingers on the go while on highway for an overtake. This 6AT was widely criticized by almost all reviewers, but i don't think they have used it in manual mode. Doing this as well increases the engine growl, which someone might complain in 4AT as well. For the sake of overtaking OD will come handy, obviously not at the flick of fingers but should be fine.

Coming to rpms, 6AT does achieve 100kmph @2.1k compared to 2.9k in 4AT. On paper this looks alarming or frustrating. How it feels inside the car. I didn't feel any significantly high engine noise inside Jimnys cabin at those speed that i will be irritated with.

Engine braking is one area I felt significant difference. Jimny's was much better. Might be more of a K15B characteristic, but i think this would be definitely needed in downhill moves.

Overall engine note felt much better in K15B, due to which I would not mind even if it has slightly higher growl inside the cabin.

So overall in contrast to my initial display on the GB choice by Maruti, obviously from the options within their stable, I would prefer the 4AT on Jimny over the 6AT. It just makes it better for both the scenarios where it should excel at least in my use case if I buy the car. Drive to office 5 days. Enjoy some moments off the road on weekends. For somebody planning long distance cruising(90-110kmph) as well, 4AT will be my pick even if it delivers nearly 10% lesser mileage.

Last edited by saurabh041086 : 15th June 2023 at 12:55.
saurabh041086 is offline   (44) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 13:21   #726
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh041086 View Post
I would prefer the 4AT on Jimny over the 6AT. It just makes it better for both the scenarios where it should excel at least in my use case if I buy the car. Drive to office 5 days. Enjoy some moments off the road on weekends. For somebody planning long distance cruising(90-110kmph) as well, 4AT will be my pick even if it delivers nearly 10% lesser mileage.
Ditto my use case, Thanks for this post after comparing both the ATs. Just because it is a 4AT, we do not want to call it pre-historic, bad choice by Maruti etc., As long as it does the job well, it is great. I am sure this post allays a lot of fear. Thank you

Smooth shifting proper TC AT
Good Engine braking
Holding Revs and not hunting
Fun to drive in city
Cruising at 100 kmph with minimal noise inside,
What more ?

Swami

Last edited by swami69 : 15th June 2023 at 13:22.
swami69 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 14:20   #727
Distinguished - BHPian

Suzuki Jimny (5d) confirmed for Japan, patent images leaked:

Quote:
There is an auxiliary mirror under the left side mirror. This is a part that complies with Japan laws and regulations, but is not installed on the Indian specification 5-door Jimny.
Maruti Jimny Review-fynbawxaeaigw4h.jpg

Maruti Jimny Review-fynbawxamaegrh8.jpg

Maruti Jimny Review-fynbawuakaeqdk.jpg

Maruti Jimny Review-fynbawxaeaesdo9.jpg

Maruti Jimny Review-screenshot-20230615-142441.png

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 15th June 2023 at 14:26.
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 14:38   #728
BHPian

Now that Jimny is launched, can we have an official teambhp extensive highway driving review.
rkmountain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 14:44   #729
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathur2012 View Post
In my search for AT tyres for Jimny, I came across these tyres. They look the most aggressive compared to other AT tyres but the con is that the dealer informed that these are black market tyres and sold without any warranty/bill. Price quoted is Rs 6300. Do anyone here have any feedback on these tyres?

Attachment 2464210

Attachment 2464211
Falken Wildpeak's are good tyres. Some of my friends in UK use it and till now have not regretted it. The downside is high road noise when running on regular tarmac, is what they say.
You may also wish to look at Yokohama Geolanders or Continental CrossContacts. They are tried and tested and offer decent levels of traction under off road conditons.
Old 15th June 2023, 15:55   #730
BHPian

Rally-Ready Jimny Dakar Edition Render: A Tribute to Gypsy’s Iconic Heritage

Quote:
Maruti Suzuki Gypsy is one of the most iconic vehicles in Indian automobile market. It has procured legend status already, and the company has launched Jimny to carry on Gypsy’s legacy. Jimny prices start from Rs. 12.74 lakh and go till Rs. 15.05 lakh (both prices ex-sh). Even though Gypsy is discontinued, people are still comparing it with Jimny.
Quote:
Bimble Designs has done something similar and rendered Jimny Dakar Edition. Design inspirations are immediately visible from Gypsy. Especially its White shade along with White shade on its off-road worthy alloy wheels. Other than the White shade, Bimble Designs has added a multitude of new add-ons to this render to make Jimny Rally-ready.

Quote:
For starters, Jimny Dakar Edition by Bimble Designs gets suspension lift kit that takes the ground clearance quite high. There are wide wheel arches, but these BFGoodrich M/T (Mud Terrain) tyres wrapped on off-road-worthy alloy wheels jut out quite a but. There is a new custom off-road bumper, taking the approach angle virtually close to infinity.
Quote:
Bimble Designs have added additional roll cages underneath the front grille that should be sturdy enough to equip a high-torque winch. Brake calipers get yellow paint matching BFGoodrich logo on tyres. Rear gets disc brakes too.
Maruti Jimny Review-marutisuzukijimnydakareditionbybimbledesignsbonnet490x450.jpg

Maruti Jimny Review-marutisuzukijimnydakareditionbybimbledesignsrear583x450.jpg

Maruti Jimny Review-marutisuzukijimnydakareditionbybimbledesignsfront600x338.jpg

SOURCE
GhostGrid is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 16:56   #731
BHPian

Height adjustable frame installed in Brezza in open market ! Hope it is successful and also available for Jimny soon !
Requesting experts here to pls. comment and let us know that - will this affect the working of side curtain airbags in Jimny ? (I think it won't as the airbags are installed in side of the seats !)

VivekWalia1986 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 16:59   #732
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivekWalia1986 View Post
Height adjustable frame installed in Brezza in open market !
That's exactly what I am looking for Is this a standard seat from some other Maruti model or completely different?

Wonder how much Maruti saves by using a normal over this one?
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 17:30   #733
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
That's exactly what I am looking for Is this a standard seat from some other Maruti model or completely different?
This guy prepares a custom seat for each model and provides a frame for seat height adjustment for different cars. In this video he has shown the same for Fronx.

VivekWalia1986 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 17:31   #734
Team-BHP Support

An ignis seat base should 99% fit Jimny knowing how Maurti shares parts bin across models. Disclaimer I have not seen Jimny in real life yet.
Jaggu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 18:38   #735
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackofsome View Post
Thanks for this. The best thing I heard today about the Jimny. Is it really that silent at 100 kmph?
Yes it is, very silent cruising at 100km/hr at 2950RPM, this is for AT.
akshay4587 is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed