Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2023, 11:42   #751
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUVolens View Post
What impresses immediately and over all kinds of surfaces is the incredible job in the suspension department achieved by MUL engineers. The Jimny displays no road shock at all, irrespective of ruts, pavements and craters of any size. The suspension appears progressive and absorptive at all times and speeds. The car neither crashes, nor throws occupants around, displaying a maturity missing in many larger vehicles of the ladder frame class or monocoques.
Which other cars do you own currently? want to know the comparison levelling, will help others to get the perspective.
Shubhendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2023, 12:12   #752
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny Reviewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Congrats on getting the Jimny home! This looks to be the most stand out color. Looking forward to your report after the trip

On a lighter note, what are you going to put on your Thar now?

I am fast **and** can go anywhere

I think he owns the Previous Gen Thar and therefore, 'Fast' may not be fully apt.

In a lighter vein, a perfectly apt Tagline for the New Thar will be:-

"You may be A Good Original; but, Iam the Best Duplicate." 😎
INDIAN_VAGABOND is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 16th June 2023, 12:37   #753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post

Man it looks fine in Grey. Please share a few more pictures in bright sunlight without tree cover if you can. I've lost my love for the Kinetic Yellow. By plastering this all over the place MSIL have made it too commonplace now. I think the subtle grey and practical white colours are the once I will pick from.

It was only based on your review at Dehradun, I decided to go ahead for Jimny
Some more pictures I tried taking under bright sunlight though I am not so good in taking pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-img_5837.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny Review-img_5838.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny Review-img_5839.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny Review-img_5840.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny Review-0188844c49d046e6835928f75bad939a.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny Review-521884d467344fb89504678ad39fb230.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny Review-73a57bd12dc9410a89fad2e45d34fa28.jpeg  

Rahul Lal is offline   (49) Thanks
Old 16th June 2023, 13:02   #754
Team-BHP Support

Re: Maruti Jimny Reviewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Lal View Post
Today got delivery of Jimny Alpha AT - Granite Grey color
Congratulations and excellent choice of colour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
I have done 400 kms as of now and will be adding another 600-700 kms to it over this weekend in the Himalayas. Will pen down a short ownership review then.
Thank you and looking forward to more real life updates.
Jaggu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th June 2023, 13:04   #755
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
Man! Pity the poor Jimny!! Youtuber does 80 KPH engaging 4Low!

https://Youtu.be/efH3jvIYiWA

(from 4:00)
i know i should be shocked seeing this ! but sadly im not. The garbage that is put out on youtube, instagram under the ambit of Car Reviews is just pathetic.
in the 4x4 world one will come across the likes of DCV who are taking their vehicles to Spiti, Kaza etc getting them stuck on purpose and shooting videos. There is no care for the vehicle, the ecosystems they are destroying and their so called influence on the younger kids watching this "content"
Thank god ! we have and are on Team BHP ! The last sembelance of normalcy on the Internet
Ksingh544 is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 16th June 2023, 13:06   #756
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Lal View Post
It was only based on your review at Dehradun, I decided to go ahead for Jimny
Some more pictures I tried taking under bright sunlight though I am not so good in taking pictures
Thank you. The pictures help. I think my wife and I concur that Grey is the fastest colour

I have conveyed my decision to the Nexa boys.
gsferrari is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 16th June 2023, 13:30   #757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Which other cars do you own currently? want to know the comparison levelling, will help others to get the perspective.
My current cars are a WagonR and a Virtus GT. But my comparison would be based on a long line of SUVís Iíve owned right from a Gypsy, Scorpio, Yeti and most recently, an Endeavour. It also helps that my friends who i travel with, have between them a Thar, a XUV700 and an Isuzu. So, a fairly broad canvas Iíd say.

Of the above, Iíd venture that the Yeti had the best balance by far, my next favourite being the unflinching ride of the Endeavour. The XUV700 is another brilliant piece of suspension engineering and the rest are pretty meh.

The little Jimny however, surprises the most due to what I had read mostly in the foreign press about the 3 door. Iím also a bit biased against Japanese suspendry from personal experience - Fortuner, Isuzu and a few others. So yeah, thatís what laid the base for me
SUVolens is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th June 2023, 13:48   #758
BHPian

Some pics of mine (in Granite Grey) with 215/75R15 Apollo Apterra AT2. Got it on 9th June.

Maruti Jimny Review-msg1867793732306731.jpg

Maruti Jimny Review-msg186779373230674.jpg

Maruti Jimny Review-msg1867793732306821.jpg

Maruti Jimny Review-msg1867793732306721.jpg

Maruti Jimny Review-f19b4dc10042f7829d7f802b4b59afa79e36bb9d_2_345x750.jpeg

Few Videos:

Last edited by purohitanuj : 16th June 2023 at 13:56.
purohitanuj is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 16th June 2023, 14:30   #759

Just got the delivery on 14th June of my Jimny Alpha Grey AT day before. Got the call a day before that the vehicle would be ready. So, I had to ge the loan process done in just 1 day else the car would be Re-allocated.

Maruti Jimny Review-img_20230616_133501264.jpg

Overall the delivery experience was still somewhat rude. As the nexa dealer was pushing on the accessories and extended warranty for the car. I didn't budge on it as I had booked the vehicle on the day of the launch. All of the formalities done and I got the possession at precisely 7 pm.

My initial impressions :

1. The interior space is adequate.

2. Rear leg room is surprisingly alright given the overall dimensions of the body.

3. The updated infotainment system feels very expensive and is responsive but I couldn't figure out how to turn off the surround sound settings. Speakers on the other hand are a big disappointment.

4. The WOW factor. As there is nothing like a mini G wagon on road currently, thus the road presence is interesting. People get curious as to what the car is (those who don't know). Those who do couldn't stop coming upto me and asking about it.

Nonetheless, the next morning I had a trip planned to a Rajgarh, Himachal Pradesh which is approximately 125kms from Chandigarh. I took the Jimny as I was excited to see how it would perform on the curvy, hilly terrain.

Started off in the city, the size gave it the advantage to slip through the slow morning traffic. After about 15kms, the highway. After entering the highway the Jimny struggled to keep up with the other vehicles on road. The 4speed automatic gearbox started to feel sluggish. The inclines made the engine push on a little more and required momentum even if I had the throttle completely pushed. For a few kms there was a patch of stones on the road. The thin tires started to slip on the stones giving scares to my passenger.

On the drive back I pushed the car a little more and that is when I started to enjoy it. On the highway, when it reached the momentum of 80-100kms per hour it was pretty joyful. The shorter height provided for lesser body roll compared to the thar on the corners. The Jimny kept up pretty well with its 195 tires on tarmac turns.

Maruti Jimny Review-img20230616wa0021.jpg

Overall impressions -

Engine - Underpowered considering the competition, but I may have been spoiled by the Petrol Thar. The Jimny does rev up more excitingly giving a modern Gypsy vibe.

Gearbox - Automatic is great for city driving. It shifts for 2nd to 3rd very quickly making it a task to overtake other in the hills.

Suspension - Love it. It was comfortable, not too jumpy and the road feedback was just adequate to make slight driving adjustments on a higher speed.

Interior - The seats were a little uncomfortable, might be the lack of under thigh support and side bolsters on either end.

These were just the reviews of driving it in the city and in hills. Will upload my reviews once I take it on a offroad trail.
petrolhead7002 is offline   (65) Thanks
Old 16th June 2023, 14:33   #760
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by purohitanuj View Post
Some pics of mine (in Granite Grey) with 215/75R15 Apollo Apterra AT2. Got it on 9th June.
Thanks for the efforts to share some videos. The 215s look good on the car and the stance is better. Due to the smaller 5.5j rim/larger width tire, there is slight bulge, but, I guess it is OK as many have commented on this thread.

If you don't mind, can you share, how much additional you had to pay per tire, which will help many. Thanks

Congrats and enjoy your drives with the Jimny

Swami
Old 16th June 2023, 14:56   #761
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami69 View Post
Thanks for the efforts to share some videos. The 215s look good on the car and the stance is better. Due to the smaller 5.5j rim/larger width tire, there is slight bulge, but, I guess it is OK as many have commented on this thread.

If you don't mind, can you share, how much additional you had to pay per tire, which will help many. Thanks

Congrats and enjoy your drives with the Jimny

Swami
6500 for new tyres, 2500 for old exchange so total 20k for all 5 tyres.
Got additional 1K discount as dealer was known to someone.
As far as I know, this size is very rare in the market. I had to travel to Rohtak to get these fitted.
purohitanuj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th June 2023, 15:00   #762
BHPian

Congratulations
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead7002 View Post
Just got the delivery on 14th June of my Jimny Alpha Grey AT day before. Got the call a day before that the vehicle would be ready. So, I had to ge the loan process done in just 1 day else the car would be Re-allocated.
Quote:
Overall the delivery experience was still somewhat rude. As the nexa dealer was pushing on the accessories and extended warranty for the car

So were you able to get it without the unnecessary costs or did they make you pay for them?

Quote:
After entering the highway the Jimny struggled to keep up with the other vehicles on road. The 4speed automatic gearbox started to feel sluggish. The inclines made the engine push on a little more and required momentum even if I had the throttle completely pushed. For a few kms there was a patch of stones on the road. The thin tires started to slip on the stones giving scares to my passenger.
This is not good news for us who plan to run the Jimny in the Himalayas. Maybe the manual transmission would be better? Also a tyre upgrade might be necessary?

Thanks for the insights and experiences.
Keep updating.

Last edited by Jaggu : 16th June 2023 at 18:32. Reason: You can use Quote option for a better readability while posting.
dileep is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2023, 15:17   #763
Senior - BHPian

Thank you for the pictures and videos. I would like to offer a contrasting opinion about engaging 4wd.

In your video you have mentioned to NOT engage 4wd unless it is necessary. This is incorrect advice because once you are stuck or slide off the road in 2H it will likely be too late.

There is nothing macho or heroic about crossing obstacles in 2H vs 4H. Getting stuck in 2H and then looking foolish is avoidable. If a sitiation can be tackled more safely in 4H, please engage it without thought. That's why it is there in the first place.

I never understood this mentality of treating 4H as a special tool. Full time 4WD cars are so good in extreme conditions for a reason. There is no 2H at all.
gsferrari is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 16th June 2023, 15:45   #764
Senior - BHPian

Pune bhpians, did any of you manage to get a test drive? If yes, any info on the details of the dealer would be appreciated, thanks in advance.
Old 16th June 2023, 15:50   #765

Maruti Jimny Review-waitlisted.png

Did Anyone get a mail like....damn I might as well for maruti to launch the 3 door lol and I had booked within 3-4 days of launch in January
Jimmyjimmyaaja is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed