Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
  Search this Thread
2,622,149 views
Old 17th June 2023, 20:15   #811
BHPian
 
tbppjpr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: India
Posts: 786
Thanked: 1,366 Times
Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Sammy View Post
Not an Apples to apples comparison IMHO.
The S-Cross can maintain 100kmph around 2000-2100 rpm without a sweat with the same engine and auto tranny as the Jimny.
As a fellow amateur I am guessing it might just be how the transmission is tuned for highway vs. off-road driving in the 2 vehicles.
More than the tuning, its the FWD nature of the S-Cross which helps in reducing the strain on engine.

Front wheels are kind of directly connected with the engine in a FWD with the help of dedicated drive shafts transferring power to each wheel. This results into much lesser power loss compared to the similar specced vehicle with the RWD setup which has a single long driveshaft transferring the power into an axle, then transfer the power into the rear wheels.

FWDs are also much easier to handle, drive and control during the daily day driving conditions for a normal joy, especially in case of mild under or over steers. But if an inexperienced, non-enthusiast routine office-goer person ends up with under or over steer during incremental acceleration in a RWD car then chances of turning it into a disaster are much higher.

FWDs are also more fuel efficient and cheaper to manufacture. Thats why the majority of commuter category cars are sold with this setup.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 17th June 2023 at 20:26.
tbppjpr is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 17th June 2023, 21:33   #812
BHPian
 
Black_Star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Siliguri
Posts: 256
Thanked: 1,017 Times
Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Sammy View Post
Not an Apples to apples comparison IMHO.
The S-Cross can maintain 100kmph around 2000-2100 rpm without a sweat with the same engine and auto tranny as the Jimny.
As a fellow amateur I am guessing it might just be how the transmission is tuned for highway vs. off-road driving in the 2 vehicles.
Its not always about the engine or transmission, but how the actual car shape is. S-Cross is far more aerodynamic than Jimny, which has the aerodynamics of a brick. So it takes far more effort to reach the same speed in the Jimny than in S-Cross.
Black_Star is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2023, 23:45   #813
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 260
Thanked: 540 Times
Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Yes they do but will really bog down the car. Apparently 215 to 235 slows down 0-100kmph by 3 seconds.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=kcxhtFjVd0E
I am not sure that we can take whatever is said in this video at face value.

The 235/75/R15 has 6% larger circumference than the stock tyres - and thus 6% speedo error. This means, that when they measured the 0-100 kmph timing for the Jimny with 235s, they were actually measuring the 0-106 kmph timing.

In reality, the time difference may be much smaller - perhaps even lesser than 1 second.

Also, note that the Jimny with 235/75/R15 will reach 100 kmph at a slightly more relaxed engine rpm of around 2750 rpm (compared to 2900 rpm for the stock tyres) - thanks to the larger circumference of 235/75/R15 tyres.

.

Last edited by PYSO : 17th June 2023 at 23:47.
PYSO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2023, 02:03   #814
BHPian
 
KiranPatil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Pune
Posts: 39
Thanked: 80 Times
Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Any updates on fuel economy for Jimny? 2-3 posts mentioned speedometer showing FE as 7-8 kmpl but considering them as a test cars they must have been used on lower gears a lot.

Anyone got actual on road mielage yet? Also enquiring about OTR price in Pune but still SE had no clues it seems. Anyone got any clue about OTR price in Pune?
KiranPatil is offline  
Old 18th June 2023, 03:30   #815
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 200
Thanked: 198 Times
Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The good thing right now is that they got the K15B and not C cause the B had better lower end response and even better to rev freely. The K15C is just plain dead and flat response.

Besides, its better to have the proven mechanicals globally of the K15B and 4AT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh041086 View Post
Engine braking is one area I felt significant difference. Jimny's was much better. Might be more of a K15B characteristic, but i think this would be definitely needed in downhill moves.

Overall engine note felt much better in K15B, due to which I would not mind even if it has slightly higher growl inside the cabin.

So overall in contrast to my initial display on the GB choice by Maruti, obviously from the options within their stable, I would prefer the 4AT on Jimny over the 6AT.
These 2 posts amongst others greatly point ot the fact that new is not always better. Very nice analysis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
The old 4AT (Jatco) boxes and new 6AT (Aisin) boxes Maruti has sold over the years in their vehicles were transversely mounted FWD transaxles.
The old Jatco 4AT you are talking about here is Model 405E used in Astar, SX4 etc right?

Also can any of the Jimny owners share the ATF maintenance schedule (ATF spec and change interval)?
Sumedik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2023, 04:30   #816
BHPian
 
Vikram Arya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Calgary/Shimla
Posts: 421
Thanked: 2,111 Times
Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumedik View Post
These 2 posts amongst others greatly point ot the fact that new is not always better. Very nice analysis.

Also can any of the Jimny owners share the ATF maintenance schedule (ATF spec and change interval)?
As per the 2023 Jimny owner's manual, the ATF needs to be changed every 165,000 kms or 11 years whichever is earlier.

It is the information or lack thereof regarding the change interval for the manual transmission that is concerning.

As per the manual, the transmission fluid in the manual variant does not need to be changed till 80,000 kms or 8 years (the manual does not go beyond 80,000 kms/96 months). This almost seems like an error as I have never seen such a thing in 27 years of owning 11 different vehicles 4 out of which came with manual transmission. 80,000 kms change interval for the manual transmission fluid is definitely pushing it, especially in Indian conditions (more dust/particulates).

My suggestion: change the manual transmission fluid at 50,000kms (I have spent 22 years in the automotive/industrial lubricants industry & yes, I know what I'm talking about). Transmission fluid is cheap compared to the cost of a brand-new transmission besides the quantity required is a meager 1.2 ltrs.

I'm enclosing the maintenance pages in addition to the fluid specs page & bulb replacement guide for everyone's reference.

Maruti Jimny Review-fluids.jpg



Maruti Jimny Review-maintenance-1.jpg

Maruti Jimny Review-maintenance-2.jpg

Maruti Jimny Review-maintenance-3.jpg

Maruti Jimny Review-maintenance-4.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-lights.jpg  


Last edited by Vikram Arya : 18th June 2023 at 04:39. Reason: Formatting
Vikram Arya is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th June 2023, 10:20   #817
BHPian
 
nazeer_ahamed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: TN 43
Posts: 49
Thanked: 61 Times
Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
There are several 4wd training academies as well as the regular off-road enthusiasts groups. Enrol, participate and push yourself and the vehicle to understand the limitations.
Can you suggest 4wd training academies / off-road enthusiasts group in / around Coimbatore / Nilgiris. Thanks.
nazeer_ahamed is offline  
Old 18th June 2023, 11:09   #818
Senior - BHPian
 
gsferrari's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,010
Thanked: 1,714 Times
Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazeer_ahamed View Post
Can you suggest 4wd training academies / off-road enthusiasts group in / around Coimbatore / Nilgiris. Thanks.
Get in touch with Shibu Varghese a.k.a Jeep Captain. He's here on teambhp as well. He can guide you.

Dr. Tejas Kothari runs a 4wd school in Mumbai.

In Chennai there's Madras Battle Axles and Terra Tigers. As well as other groups.
gsferrari is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th June 2023, 11:41   #819
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 260
Thanked: 540 Times
Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumedik View Post

These 2 posts amongst others greatly point ot the fact that new is not always better. Very nice analysis.
Most of what is pushed around as new technology is merely inferior technology - forced by rapidly escalating fuel efficiency standards that the govts are forcing down the throats of automakers.

Among such new technologies - the cake goes to turbo-petrol engines - small sized engines generating large power output - primarily aimed at meeting fuel efficiency norms.

They have such weak low-end pulling that it's a pain to drive them inside cities or in the hills, where it's difficult to maintain the engine above 2500 rpm. Frankly, i feel sorry for the crowd which buy cars like Kushaq with the 1.0 litre turbo petrol engine. What a pain it's to drive anywhere, except on open highways.

The reliability and durability of these turbo engines are very questionable.

K15C is another new technology which mainly achieves better fuel efficiency, while being inferior at everything else.

.
PYSO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2023, 12:22   #820
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Pune
Posts: 23
Thanked: 36 Times
Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiranPatil View Post
Any updates on fuel economy for Jimny? 2-3 posts mentioned speedometer showing FE as 7-8 kmpl but considering them as a test cars they must have been used on lower gears a lot.

Anyone got actual on road mielage yet? Also enquiring about OTR price in Pune but still SE had no clues it seems. Anyone got any clue about OTR price in Pune?
Hope this Helps !
Dealer still says its tentative pricing though.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-jimny-price-list-pune.jpg  

fnftech is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2023, 12:58   #821
Senior - BHPian
 
Kosfactor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: COK\BLR\MYS
Posts: 3,545
Thanked: 9,960 Times
Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYSO View Post
They have such weak low-end pulling that it's a pain to drive them inside cities or in the hills, where it's difficult to maintain the engine above 2500 rpm. Frankly, i feel sorry for the crowd which buy cars like Kushaq with the 1.0 litre turbo petrol engine. What a pain it's to drive anywhere, except on open highways.

The reliability and durability of these turbo engines are very questionable.

K15C is another new technology which mainly achieves better fuel efficiency, while being inferior at everything else.

.
Power train wise Maruti is now archaic, purely commuter spec. Let's not think of the old Ecoboost and imagine 1.0 TSi to be like that, it will blow NA engines straight out of the water when it comes to performance, there is no getting away from it, be it the 1.6 VVT or the 1.5 ivtec in Verna and City respectively.

Turbo charged engines are good at high altitude, the only trouble is if the gearing is not proper , however they are still better than small NA engines because, Turbo charging is invented to deal with altitude to begin with. The most inadequate powertrain for hill driving in my experience is the K15C with 6AT, the only reason Jimny does not have it is because MS did not have enough time to shoehorn it into the Jimny, I think Sirish Chandran happened to mention it.
Kosfactor is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 18th June 2023, 13:06   #822
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,889
Thanked: 2,178 Times
Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumedik View Post
The old Jatco 4AT you are talking about here is Model 405E used in Astar, SX4 etc right?
We have the Ciaz 4AT with the older K14B engine, and it does have the Aisin box.
DRIV3R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2023, 13:16   #823
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,404
Thanked: 2,146 Times
Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
Get in touch with Shibu Varghese a.k.a Jeep Captain. He's here on teambhp as well. He can guide you.

Dr. Tejas Kothari runs a 4wd school in Mumbai.

In Chennai there's Madras Battle Axles and Terra Tigers. As well as other groups.
Can you please share more details around the 4WD course conducted by Dr.Tejas Kothari? Thank you.
Lalvaz is offline  
Old 18th June 2023, 13:21   #824
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 260
Thanked: 540 Times
Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
think of the old Ecoboost and imagine 1.0 TSi to be like that, it will blow NA engines straight out of the water when it comes to performance, there is no getting away from it, be it the 1.6 VVT or the 1.5 ivtec in Verna and City respectively.
Agree with this at engine rpm higher than 2500.

Problem is - 90% of Indian drivers, drive 80% or more of the time at below 2500 rpm. Our cities and roads are like that only.

.
PYSO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2023, 13:24   #825
BHPian
 
SUVolens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Noida
Posts: 134
Thanked: 1,092 Times
Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYSO View Post

Among such new technologies - the cake goes to turbo-petrol engines - small sized engines generating large power output - primarily aimed at meeting fuel efficiency norms.

They have such weak low-end pulling that it's a pain to drive them inside cities or in the hills, where it's difficult to maintain the engine above 2500 rpm. Frankly, i feel sorry for the crowd which buy cars like Kushaq with the 1.0 litre turbo petrol engine. What a pain it's to drive anywhere, except on open highways.

.

I canít say I agree with this view. Modern turbo-petrols are now a popular tech for manufacturers to help comply with stringent government norms - yes.

They arenít exactly new tech - yes. But thatís where your your accuracy ends Iím afraid.

Small capacity turbo petrols are a boon for their volumetric efficiency. Lower volume combustibles intake = lower volume exhaust gases = less pollutants in the air, thus complying with stringent norms that are now a mandate. That isnít such a bad thing if you think about it, considering you mostly get better fuel efficiency as a byproduct of higher compressions in the combustion chamber.
A lighter engine block and steeper power curve also means you get your Yeehaa! moments much earlier in the rev counter than a typical NA engine. So thatís one for the thrill.

But, are they the be-all of modern cars? Nope. Their applications are best left to road-going passenger (read family) vehicles and not case specific off-readers like the Jimny and other petrol models, where sudden power surges wonít be as welcome as a steady flow from the K15B unit. NA engines are also much less complicated with fewer components than a turbo or a bolt-on turbo that one can now buy for Jimnyís. Naturally, they are more durable and helps the car gain itís bulletproof reputation. All for it myself.

My Ďother carí is a Virtus GT. I should know
SUVolens is offline   (3) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks