Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2023, 22:38   #1351
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

One thing I havenít seen a lot of people discuss is the range of the vehicle given the puny 40L petrol tank. If someone is looking to use the car how itís meant to be - e.g., going on hardcore off-road trails in the Himalayas - the mileage will drop to low single digits (around 4-5kmpl). That essentially means you will get a range of around 160-180kms which is quite less I think. You will need to carry a lot of fuel with you I believe.
Pancham is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th July 2023, 00:05   #1352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Guys, any recent update on how the manual variant is to drive? The general feedback is that the clutch is not that light and the gear shifts are notchy. Anything else? Is automatic really the way to go (price difference of 95K)?
I have not been able to find a manual variant TD in Gurgaon.

P.S: My personal choice would be the base Zeta variant in Nexa blue with minimal accessories. Keep it stock and rugged. With the idea of keeping it forever, I think the fewer the electronics the better it is. Also, those steel wheels are absolutely .
I test-drove the manual variant and man what a horrible gear shift it had. Notchy would be a small word. I almost had to slam the gear lever like a tractor. I don't remember driving any car with such a poor gear shift. But I still believe that this particular piece had a problem.
drsnt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2023, 07:55   #1353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
My Nexa Blue Jimny Alpha AT arrived home today.

Noob question - I see most here changing the tyres on day 0 of acquiring the Jimny. For reasons known not even to me, I somehow find the stock ones quite ok. Though I loved the steel wheels, I had to pick the Alpha for the additional feature list. I have no intention of changing tyres or suspension or any such mods.
Congratulations on your new drive
The stock tyres were squeaking at corners on day one of the delivery of my Jimny.
Now, after the tyre upgrade to 215/75/R15 it handles and behaves so much better.

Quote:
One thing I haven’t seen a lot of people discuss is the range of the vehicle given the puny 40L petrol tank. If someone is looking to use the car how it’s meant to be - e.g., going on hardcore off-road trails in the Himalayas - the mileage will drop to low single digits (around 4-5kmpl). That essentially means you will get a range of around 160-180kms which is quite less I think. You will need to carry a lot of fuel with you I believe.
I agree with you and this is a big concern for me too.
I have decided to carry extra 20 litres on such trips, I am also exploring the option of installing the range extender fuel tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsnt View Post
I test-drove the manual variant and man what a horrible gear shift it had. Notchy would be a small word. I almost had to slam the gear lever like a tractor. I don't remember driving any car with such a poor gear shift. But I still believe that this particular piece had a problem.
I had similar feeling when I test drove the manual version, felt like an old gen Gypsy gearbox.
One more observation from my side is that the the gear rod vibrates quite a bit.
Made my decision easier and immediately took the delivery of the Alpha AT version.

Am I happy with my decision?.
Of course, yes.

Last edited by Sheel : 13th July 2023 at 08:18. Reason: Punctuation mark spaces. Thanks.
ecosport rules is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2023, 08:11   #1354
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
One thing I havenít seen a lot of people discuss is the range of the vehicle given the puny 40L petrol tank. If someone is looking to use the car how itís meant to be - e.g., going on hardcore off-road trails in the Himalayas - the mileage will drop to low single digits (around 4-5kmpl). That essentially means you will get a range of around 160-180kms which is quite less I think. You will need to carry a lot of fuel with you I believe.
As a reference point my stock standard factory spec Gypsy returns 12-13Kmpl and I am easily able to reach Ooty or Coorg, run around a bit inside those areas and refill when Im there. I have personally used the Gypsy for 350Kms and then re-fuelled, on such trips. I dont like my tank to go below 1/4th. But the Gypsy gauges arent accurate being the old float valve type. So the indicator level falls slowly till half tank and then suddenly drops to 1/4th.

So one has to judge it carefully. One gets used to it.

Ref Jimny being a modern vehicle despite being heavier than the Gypsy I am very sure that we can eke out a range of 300kms from Bangalore to Ooty and still have a Quarter Tank left. Because the modern engines are more efficient. Of course this is speculation right now but I am sure someone will soon prove the above.

Your point ref off roading in 4H and 4L yes of course the mileage will drop. But I dont think it will drop as low as that of the Petrol Thar in which I have experienced 4-6kmpl in the hills when loafing and when partially using 4 wheel drive at times. Thats because the Thar is much heavier.
shankar.balan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th July 2023, 10:30   #1355
BHPian

Quote:
My Nexa Blue Jimny Alpha AT arrived home today.
Quote:
Noob question - I see most here changing the tyres on day 0 of acquiring the Jimny. For reasons known not even to me, I somehow find the stock ones quite ok. Though I loved the steel wheels, I had to pick the Alpha for the additional feature list. I have no intention of changing tyres or suspension or any such mods. I do enjoy offroads once a while. I presume thatís good enough for mild off-roading fun.
I too have found the stock tyres to be adequate. 215's would certainly bring more grip/comfort etc but also comes at a cost (literal too). You will loose economy, unsprung weight will go up, more wear and tear to associated components (comparably) and possible loss of warranty/insurance cover. Please check out this video, was quite helpful:

sammysossa is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th July 2023, 12:16   #1356
Distinguished - BHPian

Many people are waiting for their Jimny to be delivered and here, people are at another stupid level. Can't the company file a case on such morons?

Link

Maruti Jimny Review-img_20230713_121410.jpg

Maruti Jimny Review-img_20230713_121426.jpg
BoneCollector is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th July 2023, 13:03   #1357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
One more observation from my side is that the the gear rod vibrates quite a bit.
Made my decision easier and immediately took the delivery of the Alpha AT version.
Most longitudinally mounted engine/gearbox will have a gear shifter directly attached to the gearbox or with very short linkages. Most of you are used to transverse mounted vehicles with long linkages and plenty of damping.

This is why the gear stick vibrates more in the Jimny.
gsferrari is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 13th July 2023, 13:25   #1358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysossa View Post
I too have found the stock tyres to be adequate. 215's would certainly bring more grip/comfort etc but also comes at a cost (literal too).
I was wondering if someone could explain better.

This is the fact which you realise after long time ownership of the vehicle.

I had Gypsy for 14 years. It takes time to realise the best feature of this cute little Japanese machine. And this best feature is a hidden feature. It is reliability.

2. Speedo error and odo erroe: this is one feature which we consider will not impact us. Both these are set to match original tyre sizes.

3. Heaviness and added rolling resistance: this leads to loss of peppyness and instant pick-up.

4. Ease of using snow chains : the original tyre size is best for fixing and taking off snow chains. Just change tyres which can accept snow chains. But keep original tyre. That's how Indian army used Gypsy. It was just 5 mins job to fix chains on original tyres. And adequate clearance between tyre and wheel well without any suspension lifting.

5. Better offroading: In mud and sand, what we need is thin tyre to splice thru the obstruction. What many newbies don't realise is contact patch is not entirely depends on width but the ratio height and width of tyre. The flex of the tyre. You can increase your contact patch just by lowering the tyre pressure. And you can need a better ratio.

195/80. You need to focus on 80 part more than the 195 part. Specially during offroading.

So contact patch or traction is more the function of the 'ratio' rather than just the width. And this maths is easily understood by engineer than a wannabe offroader.

I wish I could explain this better. May be I find a video on this to explain it better.

Basically, a tyre is always climbing a hill when going forward. Smaller the hill, better is the rolling resistance.
wanderhermit is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 13th July 2023, 13:35   #1359
HTC
BHPian

Saw Jimny in flesh for the first time in Namma Bengaluru. It was a kinetic yellow color varient. It was in dense traffic and didn't grab attention at all. I realised it was the new Jimny only when I was right behind it.

Loved the way it looked. Its cute, simple, does not offend anyone around it. I couldn't resist comparing it with a cute little chubby toddlers who always gets their cheeks squeezed by every guest in a function. Paint quality looked premium and overall fit and finish was top-notch. Reminds me of microbot from movie 'Big Hero 6'. Can be small little car but capabale of beating mighty opponents

*Pictures searched through google. credit to respective owners.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-microbot-smile.jpg  

Maruti Jimny Review-microbot-angry.jpg  

HTC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2023, 14:35   #1360
BHPian

I have been late to the party but I join it now. I test drove the Jimny finally.

Everything that has been said already is how i felt about the car, for most part. Covering how i felt about it with perspective to my last 5 years in a Polo GT.

First Feel - It definitely feels bigger inside than it looks outside. And the doors opened and closed unlike anything i have felt in a Maruti. They felt well built with a decent subdued thud. A very pleasing sound and feel if you ask me. Definite thumbs up.

Drive - Power seemed sluggish when compared to the Polo. I missed having a turbo. But after the drive i felt the power delivery was not going to be a deal breaker. It felt adequate and infact much better than most NA petrol engines south of or uptill 1.5l.

The recognizable whine of the drivetrain was the most audible element of the engine sound. Reminds me of being in a Gypsy. Again not a deal breaker.

I really missed knowing what gear I am on. It was an AT. But i could feel the car seemed eager to downshift but also eager to get to at least 3rd in city traffic in gentle driving. There were noticeable Jerks on gear changes. I could almost hear myself missing the 7DSG. I am guessing this is a sore point for me. Because I am still thinking about it. I will have to adjust myself to be comfortable with a 4AT, not because i like it so much.

Comfort - Much more comfortable overall than my Polo. The seats and the the suspension. Rear lumbar has been talked about a lot and for good reason. Half my thigh flab was hanging in the air in the rear. But the front seats enveloped me quite well. Overall i am happy here.

Ergonomics - I dont think there are too many cars that beat a Polo on the ergonomics from a driver perspective. The jimny doesnt either. The window switches dont come to hand, you have to lean forward to get to them.
The screen is hanging on top like most new cars and is an ergonomically uncomfortable experience to navigate through it. Thank god for steering controls. The Polo's screen integrated below the AC vents is so so much easier to use.
Also i too wish there was a height adjustment for at least the driver seat. Though i thought i pretty much found my preferred driving position, slightly higher would have felt perfect.
Although getting in and out of the car felt easier than other hard core SUVs.
Overall the ergonomics are a thumbs down.

Music System - Meh. Just about ok in the sound quality department. The clarity and deepness is nice, though the speakers feel out of breath for the quality we now come to expect in this price range. I can only imagine how much worse the non Arkamys system must be.
The Smart pro itself was easy to use, just i was constantly leaned forward or had my head completely away from road. I miss having certain physical buttons for quick navigation.
Overall, its livable with. Maybe down the road, i will get slightly bigger speakers or maybe i will get used to this.

Sitting in the rear - Now this reminded me of sitting in the back of a Bolero. You sit higher up for a good view, which is good. But the boxy shape of the windows and the recline angle of the seat does make you feel that you are in an old school 'Jeep'. Space for your legs is good. Height over your head is great too.
The recline angle on first level felt like i am sitting on a school bench. 2nd level was the only acceptable option for me, even though the difference is not much. We are used to more recline or the illusion of recline in most cars sold today. I think this is a rear to get used to rather than feel at home straight away.

Showroom experience - Underwhelming at best. The sales guy with me in the TD was unenthusiastic. No, he was not interested. I had to scrape information out of him, which too was barely anything. I do wonder if there actually has been any decent training for the Jimny for these guys. Or has the self selling nature of the car brought about lethargy. I had far more knowledge of the cars' features than him. And they still had no clue about the list of accessories. I had to make them aware that it can now be ordered from the website and it seemed to come as a surprise to them.
The attitude was more like "here is the car, you check it out". Infact my own enthusiasm to experience the car was dulled. I couldnt fall in love with the car as i had expected. If i had not already made up my mind to buy it, i might have actually been in two minds after the overall experience with the Sales guy. The showroom was Nexa Greater Noida.
I have had a far better reception at the VW sales showroom and the service facility each time. The people there seemed more explanatory and willing to clear your doubts.

Now the question is, when do i get the car! Or is it do i want this car?
prashant316 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th July 2023, 22:32   #1361
BHPian

The deep Nexa Blue with bronze alloys and this graphics set make it look unique. PC - Auto Attitudes, Instagram.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-img_20230713_223032.jpg  

Maruti Jimny Review-img_20230713_223010.jpg  

Maruti Jimny Review-screenshot_2023071322334208_1c337646f29875672b5a61192b9010f9.jpg  

Last edited by kesh4munni : 13th July 2023 at 22:35.
kesh4munni is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 14th July 2023, 10:51   #1362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesh4munni View Post
The deep Nexa Blue with bronze alloys and this graphics set make it look unique. PC - Auto Attitudes, Instagram.
Looks very good. I also think that some cladding on the doors at lower end will look good. It solves the very simple straight slab sided panels that the car has.
PreludeSH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2023, 11:00   #1363
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
Looks very good. I also think that some cladding on the doors at lower end will look good. It solves the very simple straight slab sided panels that the car has.
When fitting panel cladding make sure they fit flush. Else the waterlogging between the panel and the cladding and cause rusting.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th July 2023, 12:26   #1364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Many people are waiting for their Jimny to be delivered and here, people are at another stupid level.
Why are you giving these guys more visibility than they already have!? I saw these clowns on Instagram, cringed and went on with my life!

These morons aren't auto enthusiasts, they're social media like & view hunting creatures. Nothing but sympathy for them!
Geo_Ipe is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 14th July 2023, 13:05   #1365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One thing I haven’t seen a lot of people discuss is the range of the vehicle given the puny 40L petrol tank. If someone is looking to use the car how it’s meant to be - e.g., going on hardcore off-road trails in the Himalayas - the mileage will drop to low single digits (around 4-5kmpl). That essentially means you will get a range of around 160-180kms which is quite less I think. You will need to carry a lot of fuel with you I believe.
Not Hardcore trails, but I recently Drove her upto Kalpa and Chitkul.
Being new, I was easy on the throttle and those who know the region. I got 10.6kmpl from Rampur-Kalpa-Chitkul-Rampur in my AT jimny and that included AC for about 60% of the Journey. Not sure where this 4-5kmpl figure is coming from?

The trails you're talking about are few and far in between,and even in worst conditions, Jimny will easily do 300kms in a Tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-0bd486294da647299e172997f7de1e0d.jpg  

Maruti Jimny Review-img_0758.jpg  

Last edited by akshay4587 : 14th July 2023 at 13:11.
akshay4587 is offline   (28) Thanks

Most Viewed