Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2023, 12:05   #1456
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
How is a Grand Vitara Hyryder less capable as a practical vehicle?

The only thing the Jimny does better is certain advanced patches of off-road.

It can be love at first sight, but dont think its more practical than GV.

Less capable as an offroad vehicle is what I meant. Don't get me wrong. The GV AllGrip is an extremely practical car that will please everyone in the family and it hurts to see this variant not getting the kind of sales numbers it deserves.

My argument is on whether or not the Jimny is overpriced. To me it isn't because the next available modern, all terrain ready car with 4 doors and a usable boot (GV / Hyryder) is around 4 lakhs more expensive if we compare Jimny MT to GV MT. Price comparison between a 3 door Thar and a 5 door Jimny is not justified since they both serve different buyers.

The two extra doors and a usable boot make the Jimny a lot more practical over a similarly priced Thar and not over a GV AllGrip which costs substantially more.

I hope you agree.
R.Daroga is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th July 2023, 13:20   #1457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Daroga View Post
Less capable as an offroad vehicle is what I meant. Don't get me wrong. The GV AllGrip is an extremely practical car that will please everyone in the family and it hurts to see this variant not getting the kind of sales numbers it deserves.

My argument is on whether or not the Jimny is overpriced. To me it isn't because the next available modern, all terrain ready car with 4 doors and a usable boot (GV / Hyryder) is around 4 lakhs more expensive if we compare Jimny MT to GV MT. Price comparison between a 3 door Thar and a 5 door Jimny is not justified since they both serve different buyers.

The two extra doors and a usable boot make the Jimny a lot more practical over a similarly priced Thar and not over a GV AllGrip which costs substantially more.

I hope you agree.
Absolutely agree. I inferred the same from your other post too. In today's market, with all that on offer, one can certainly argue about capability (between the same group) but tough to argue "practicality". Use case scenario can change one's considered attributes under practicality but tough to change innate capability. Jimny is certainly a more capable off-road vehicle than GV AllGrip. For example, for my use case, AT gearbox was the only option being considered. That made the GV Allgrip an impractical purchase for me, to start with.
sammysossa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2023, 18:05   #1458
BHPian

Got to test drive a Jimny Zeta AT today. But before I give my impressions a bit of background and context…

The Jimny is a probable replacement for 2 cars that we (my better half and I) currently drive. We are in our late 50s and live between Dehradun and our village, which is about 5 hrs north of the city. We love travelling and the most recent trip was a trip from the village that is in Uttarakhand to Himachal via Hatkoti, Jalori Pass and onto Manali and back via Chandigarh.

1. Alto K10 (2015) always used within the city of Dehradun, very nimble, convenient, easy on everything – mostly driven by my wife who has driven the Maruti 800 (1990) and Alto VX 1.1 (2000) earlier and no other car.

2. Etios V Petrol (2016) always used for long trips (including the one to Himachal). This is what I drive and my wife has never been able to drive this sedan where she cannot see the bonnet and reversing can be a big hassle. Etios is a superb car. The 1.5 NA engine is a beauty on highway as well as in the Himalayas. The only drawback is the low GC and poor visibility specially when travelling in the hills and over broken roads. Previously I drove a Qualis (2001-16), Zen MH 410 (1996-2001), Maruti SS80 (1994-96). Before these driven dad's Premier President, Ambassador and LH drive Willys (sarkari).

We both have never driven an AT and it took us a little time to get used to the feeling of not having to change gears and use the clutch.

Our idea was to test the Jimny in the city of Dehradun so we did a 20 km drive in the northern part of the city – see attached map – which would give us a fair idea about the car – specially my wife. The route had a few broken roads, a fair amount of curvy hills with continuous traffic, a very steep incline in Rajpur and some busy stretches on Rajpur Road’s commercial areas.

Here are some impressions in no order of preference-

1. The lane to our house is narrow so I first checked reversing into the gate. The BIG turning radius and the number of steering turns will take time to get used to. However, it was quite easy due to the size of the Jimny and good visibility.

2. There is an extremely rough stretch of road that connects us to the main road. The Jimny was very comfortable, reassuring and easy here. No nonsense absolutely, it glided over deep ruts and potholes.

3. Getting in and out of the Jimny is a breeze. Specially after the low slung Etios and the cramped Alto.

4. Driver seat height adjustment – enough of us have cried over this – and this is a big miss. I am 5’6” and needed an inch or two more from the seat. My wife who is shorter needed some more. This may not be a deal breaker but we’ll need to sort it out with some cushioning.

5. Driving ergonomics are pretty good and I didn’t feel alien inside. Will have to get used to the various switches that are at different places – especially for the windows.

6. Driving an AT for the first time – I realized the ease of driving. Maximum speed achieved was 50 kph so nothing to say about the high speed performance. I drove with the OD button on. Couldn’t feel the gearshifts. Only knew by the changes in the tachometer.

7. There is an engine whine but it’s nice to hear it. On curvy uphills, I was hard cornering – the Jimny held well both in power delivery and steering. Body roll is evident and the rear occupants were not at all comfortable.

8. On the steep incline in Rajpur I stopped the car on the steepest part. The Hill Hold worked like a charm. There was no roll back and I was able to go up the slope very easily.

9. Visibility is very good all around except in the rear view mirror owing to the spare wheel and also the rear seat headrests.

10. A small observation was that the horn pad is very stiff and needs some hard pressing to honk.

11. Wife’s special observation – the A & B pedals could be placed a bit more towards the seat. She felt that she had to pull the seat too much in to reach them comfortably and the steering tends to get too close to the body which leaves less elbowroom. In the Alto she says it’s better.

12. The steering is a bit unstable – I mean even on a straight road you can swing it a little left and right (like they did in the old Bollywood movies) and the Jimny doesn’t really swing at all.

Waiting for a couple of more test drives – one on the highway and another of the MT before we go ahead.

We had booked a Zeta AT on January, 18. The SA mentioned that they are getting 5-6 cars per month and that the factory sends what they have – which is not necessarily according to the order of bookings. They are dispatching more Alpha ATs than Zeta. For example, of the 6 they sent this month, 4 are Kinetic Yellow Alphas! So one can’t tell when delivery can be made.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-screenshot-20230720-5.42.24-pm.png  

Attached Images

dileep is offline   (60) Thanks
Old 20th July 2023, 21:11   #1459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dileep View Post
Got to test drive a Jimny Zeta AT today......
I found your observations interesting especially because you used it on the kind of terrain its meant for. But that is not the reason I replied to your post.
NOT OUR COW
Roy.S is online now   (28) Thanks
Old 21st July 2023, 13:59   #1460
BHPian

Quote:
9. Visibility is very good all around except in the rear view mirror owing to the spare wheel and also the rear seat headrests.
Hi Dileep,

I too observed the same visibility issue from the rear view mirror. I have have an Alto (2009 Model) and the rear view mirror is more than enough and the side mirrors are useful only for taking turns or overtaking. May be we have to rely on the rear view camera on the Jimny.

I forgot to mention of the ISS (Intelligent Start Stop). The ISS will get enabled by default and one has to press the "A" button and the dash board "A" light will change from "Green" to "Amber". The ISS has it's mind of it's own in the sense it will switch off the engine if we stop at any junction for long time because of too much traffic with the brake pressed and suddenly start the engine when the break pedal is lifted. Also if the engine is off then there will be no Vacuum generated for the brake booster and A/C will also not be running. I know Maruti Suzuki is trying to get more fuel mileage but we need to see the safety and comfort aspect as well.
bobbyblr is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2023, 12:04   #1461
BHPian

Quote:
Got to test drive a Jimny Zeta AT today. But before I give my impressions a bit of background and context…
Nice to read your short and informative review, I think this will be a good replacement for the Etios considering your trips to the village.
sudhirjaipur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2023, 14:44   #1462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
This is the best looking snorkel for the Jimny,the small quarter panel behind the bonnet is replaced by the ABS part of the snorkel.
Loved the way it has come out.
Hi There Which brand is this ? where did you get it from ?
Old 23rd July 2023, 09:28   #1463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got to test drive a Jimny Zeta AT

12. The steering is a bit unstable – I mean even on a straight road you can swing it a little left and right (like they did in the old Bollywood movies) and the Jimny doesn’t really swing at all.
This may be an attribute of the body on frame construction and the way the steering linkages are set up. You will find the same thing in the Innova Crysta.
pjbiju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2023, 09:57   #1464
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
This may be an attribute of the body on frame construction and the way the steering linkages are set up. You will find the same thing in the Innova Crysta.
I think it has to do with the inbuilt play in the steering. Attaching the relevant portion from the Jimny Owner's Manual.
Attached Images

dileep is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2023, 10:43   #1465
Senior - BHPian

My morning spotting. Black looks just so lovely.
Maruti Jimny Review-20230723_102943.jpg

Maruti Jimny Review-20230723_102820.jpg

...And once a Korean, French and a Jap went to a bar and was blocked by an Indian

Maruti Jimny Review-20230723_103432.jpg
Bibendum90949 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2023, 14:53   #1466
BHPian

Quote:
I think it has to do with the inbuilt play in the steering. Attaching the relevant portion from the Jimny Owner's Manual.
The Gypsy King also used to have this little bit of play in the steering by default.
Fuldagap is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2023, 20:10   #1467
Team-BHP Support

Looks like Jimny is going to be putting on a big show at Rainforest Challenge 2023.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid...79124064259548
Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2023, 12:01   #1468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Looks like Jimny is going to be putting on a big show at Rainforest Challenge 2023.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid...79124064259548
Anything beyond sponsorship. Would love to see a couple of Jimny's in action in the event.

Drive on,
Shibu
Old 24th July 2023, 12:31   #1469
BHPian

Can someone please suggest me a good snorkel for JIMNY. Also where to get in Bangalore. Also, need expert opinion on what are the general precautions when installing snorkels ?
Old 24th July 2023, 13:37   #1470
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My morning spotting. Black looks just so lovely.
I have now seen most of the colors in real life and somehow I feel dark shades just don't suite this vehicle. It makes it so puny, sometimes as close to the black autorickshaws we had in Bangalore. On the other hand white one with a black roof looked so much more proportionate. Only wished they had knocked off that horrible chrome garnish around the grills!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Seems like Maruti is sponsoring this time around, nice! Sad only some 20 vehicles are there.

Last edited by Jaggu : 25th July 2023 at 13:34.
Jaggu is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed