Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2023, 15:01   #31
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Many thanks for the review. Now that the much awaited TBHP review is out and is on expected lines with the silver lining of better drive quality on tarmac, all we can do is intense price speculation.

Maruti Suzuki Jimny SUV to be priced in range of Rs 10-12 lakh: Report

Source
IB290 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2023, 15:30   #32
BHPian

Thanks for a fantastic review. Can you compare bump absorption and body roll with the Gypsy and Thar please? Guessing it rolls more than the Gypsy because of the coil springs?
Old 26th May 2023, 15:35   #33
BHPian

Such a well crafted and complete product for it's intended use case. Japanese pragmatic design in full flow.

I think if priced well, this will fly off the shelves as a lifestyle vehicle, especially in that catchy kinetic yellow color.
Old 26th May 2023, 15:56   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

First the wait for the launch
Then the wait for the embargo to be lifted
Now the wait for the price announcement
Wait for the test drives to begin
This car has more been about waiting more than anything else so far.

Among these waiting items, TBHP review was one too. Not sure if it is because I was eagerly waiting for this review or it is the benchmark of Earlier TBHP reviews is way too high, I have some incomplete feeling with the review. "What you'll like" and "what you won't like " sections missing, no review of AT (I read somewhere that the Kinetic Yellow Jimnys were ATs), very less info about off roading drivability. Was it because the media drive event did not allow for all these or this was not planned to be a complete review anyway??

Nevertheless, coming to the vehicle, I just love how it looks. I love the 3Door version even more but this is not too bad though. For people who were looking at this vehicle as a Venue/Sonet/XUV3OO etc alternative, This review will clearly help them stay away from it for good. And as far as MSIL is concerned, with all the missing points, they better price it competitively.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that this will be one wonderful off-roader. but majority in our country need "intimidating" SUVs which this is not! I sincerely hope that this car doesn't end up like other countable "Desirable" cars from MSIL (Scross1.6, Kizashi, Grand Vitara). The Kinetic green and red look good in the videos and images and I expect these to sell more than other colours.
hemanth.anand is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 26th May 2023, 16:29   #35
BHPian

Great review, can we expect a driving impression of the AT model also? There has been much discussion about the large turning radius and whether the old 4AT would work on the elongated Jimny. I would prefer the AT but then given the low power to weight ratio, the AT with just 4 gears might not cut it.
Old 26th May 2023, 16:31   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Thread moved out from the Assembly Line.

Note: We are working on the Pros and Cons of the Jimny. They will be put out later in the day.
Can you also have some photos of making the bed using the seats.
rkmountain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2023, 17:27   #37
BHPian

Dear Moderators - This is not actually the review of Team-BHP style which we have grown up seeing in the past. This is not the sole example of kind of incomplete review, there are few more done in similar fashion.

You guys must have been invited by Maruti for media drive and you must have spent few days reviewing it. How difficult it was to continue the standard templet of Team-BHP review i.e. Pros & Cons, table with specification & price comparison with competition and then actual review.

Beside this, on the review section on the home page, can you please mentioned "Official Review" and "Owners Review" because some models have official review as well as owners review on Review page. It will be easy for the readers to identify which is official review and which is owners review, even if owners review is posted by Moderator or Senior BHPians.

I think it is better to be consistent specially when earlier way of writing the review is perfect.

I am sorry for writing this on Jimmy Review page and since Jimmy is not my type of vehicle, no comments on this particular review.
GoBabyGo is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 26th May 2023, 18:06   #38
Senior - BHPian

Nice review of a capable vehicle. Going by what I read, I'd define the Jimny as a more easy-to-live-with Gypsy - nothing more nothing less! In the past, Gypsy lovers who wanted to mod it into a "family friendly" car used to get A/C, power steering, front facing seats, hard top, etc. fitted which is exactly what the Jimny comes with, along with added practicality of 4-doors and enhanced safety. The Jimny, unlike the Thar, is a truly purpose built car and will serve one and only one purpose - going off the road. Contrary to what many feel, it will NOT be a city-friendly car owing to harsh low-speed ride and impractical turning radius.

Personally, I would have preferred the 2-door Jimny, it looks so much more proportionate. If MSIL launches this, I'd pick it up in a heartbeat and keep it forever Till then, I'm happy with my Thar!
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-jimny.jpeg  

Last edited by cool_dube : 26th May 2023 at 18:29.
cool_dube is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 26th May 2023, 18:46   #39
BHPian

Seriously??? Even in 2023 AT comes with 4 gears only......???

Last edited by BlackPearl : 26th May 2023 at 20:06. Reason: More than 2 smileys.
Old 26th May 2023, 18:56   #40
Team-BHP Support

Maruti Jimny Pros

• Extremely stylish retro-modern SUV with loads of character. A total head-turner that’s available in very interesting colours
• Build quality is more solid than you’d expect of a Maruti. Even the interiors feel hard-wearing (note: plastic quality is nothing to write home about)
• An agile mountain goat! 4x4 with low range, satisfactory all-round visibility, 210 mm GC, good wheel articulation and excellent approach, departure & break-over angles make it a potent offroader
• Compact size & lighter kerb weight (than the Thar & Gurkha) bring advantages off-the-road and on it (in urban confines)
• Stylish interiors with good space utilization for 4 adults
• 4 doors make it more practical & family-friendly than the competing 2-door offroaders
• Smooth torque-converter automatic transmission available
• You can expect lots of modification & customization options, as is the case internationally. Go out & personalize your Jimny!
• Features such as the hard top, tinted green glasses, near-flat reclining front seats, LED auto headlamps with washers, rear wash & wipe, cruise control, 9-inch touchscreen HU...
• Safety kit includes 6 airbags, 3-point seatbelts for all, ESP, brake-based limited slip differential, traction control, hill hold / descent control and ISOFIX mounts
• Maruti’s excellent after-sales service, wide dealer network & fuss-free ownership experiences

Maruti Jimny Cons

• Small size doesn’t give it the presence of a Thar or Gurkha
• Unexciting 1.5L petrol engine with merely 103 BHP and 134 Nm. Don’t expect Maruti-esque fuel economy either (we saw high single-digit FE in our test-drive of the MT variant)
• Notchy 5-speed MT with a heavy clutch pedal. MT owners will find the footwell to be cramped
• Firm steering requires effort to operate. Vague on-road behaviour, weak return-to-centre action and wide 5.7 m turning radius
• Just a 4-seater (even legally). Not being able to carry 5 limits family-wise practicality
• Imperfect ride quality. Don’t expect road manners like a monocoque crossover, yet it is superior to the Thar’s bumpy ride
• 4-speed AT feels very old and outdated (has an “OD” button like in the ‘90s!). That being said, the gearbox has smooth shifts & proven reliability
• Missing features such as a sunroof, DRLs, rear A/C vents, auto wipers, TPMS, driver's seat height & lumbar adjustment, steering reach adjustment, auto-dimming IRVM, dead pedal…
• Boot space is just 208-liters; however, it is useable and more accommodating than the Thar’s. Disappointingly, the Jimny’s cabin has very few storage options & cubicles
• No soft-top convertible or 2-door options available. Forget about the joy of open-top cruising
• No diesel engine for those with high-running. The market still loves diesels in body-on-frame SUVs
Aditya is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 26th May 2023, 19:21   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post

Maruti Jimny Pros

• Extremely stylish retro-modern SUV with loads of character. A total head-turner that’s available in very interesting colours
Any updates on Jungle Green color mentioned by someone from Media Drive. Was it a rumour.
Old 26th May 2023, 19:28   #42
Senior - BHPian

Much awaited review and the pros and cons are spot on.

As for MSIL - did not release 3 door for some reason. Brings 5 door and strips it down to bare minimum; doesn't offer what has been standard in the 3D version. The most basic of which is TPMS.

Seems confusion in positioning this to be a mass product or premium product. More confusion of who the targetted audience is when you have near to minimal creature comfort, single digit city mileage and on road performance, which mean the urban City user (who are spoilt for choices) might not be impressed or purely a 2nd / 3rd / weekend specific purpose vehicle user.

Wondering how long it will take MSIL to bring the 6 speed AT, due to market feedbacks and thus leaving early 4AT owners in a fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
... The Jimny, unlike the Thar, is a truly purpose built car and will serve one and only one purpose - going off the road. Contrary to what many feel, it will NOT be a city-friendly car owing to harsh low-speed ride and impractical turning radius..!
Rightly said. Would be interesting to see how many actually go ahead with the purchase after the TD. I see it to be a awakening where reality stikes, unless (s)he is clear now on expectations and fits their use case.

Edit 2: expected more posts and discussion here but very muted.

Last edited by HappyWheels : 26th May 2023 at 19:38.
HappyWheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2023, 19:34   #43
BHPian

On one hand the review states that Jimny is way ahead of Thar in terms of comfort. On the other hand it also states that the Jimny will struggle against the Thar in sheer power on the highways. Really confusing times ahead for prospective owners during highway rides where you have the comfort but not the power to go quicker. 3000 rpm for 100KMPH at 5th gear for the MT might not give great mileage on the highway. I have booked the AT and wonder what the 4 speed AT tranny will do for the mileage. Doesn't look encouraging or affordable for a middle class family or the mass buyer segment.
It is a niche product no doubt but definitely not a premium one.
Neil Roy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th May 2023, 19:36   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Personally, I would have preferred the 2-door Jimny, it looks so much more proportionate. If MSIL launches this, I'd pick it up in a heartbeat and keep it forever Till then, I'm happy with my Thar!
I also waited for the 3-door Jimny and then went for the Thar. Had MSIL launched it 3 years ago, many people including myself would be driving the Jimny instead of the Thar. The small Jimny made a perfect use case for going to the office on non-existent Bangalore roads as well as weekend fun on nearby trails. Now I am not going to part with my Thar though.

Last edited by Jaguar : 26th May 2023 at 19:39.
Jaguar is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 26th May 2023, 19:54   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Much awaited review and the pros and cons are spot on.

As for MSIL - did not release 3 door for some reason. --
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
I also waited for the 3-door Jimny and then went for the Thar. --
Maruti Suzuki did consider the 3 door Jimny, but customer survey indicated a resounding NO.

Quote:
Maruti Suzuki did explore the possibility of launching a three door Jimny, but there was a resounding 'no' from the customers and almost 99 percent of them demanded a five door Jimny, which was developed exclusively for the Indian market.
Maruti Jimny Review-screenshot-20230526-195702.png

Link , Link

Meanwhile here are pics. of the 3d and 5d variants of the Suzuki Jimny, which one would you pick?

Maruti Jimny Review-screenshot-20230526-200222.png

Maruti Jimny Review-screenshot-20230526-200115.png

Maruti Jimny Review-screenshot-20230526-200238.png

Maruti Jimny Review-screenshot-20230526-200145.png

Maruti Jimny Review-screenshot-20230526-200206.png

Maruti Jimny Review-screenshot-20230526-200258.png

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 26th May 2023 at 20:07.
volkman10 is offline   (38) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks