Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2024, 15:17   #2146
BHPian

Re: 2023 Kia Seltos Facelift Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalnadMansha View Post
the dashboard reflection on the windshield was very evident. Not only the speaker grille, but I could see the entire dashboard's top surface reflections, which was quite distracting.
Yes this is a major issue, esp with UV-cut glass. Unfortunately we have not found any permanent solution. But wearing good quality sunglasses, e.g. polaroid, does actually help negate the reflection almost completely.

Quote:
Are there any reflections of the infotainment system, etc during night drives?
None at all.

Quote:
Considering it already comes with UV-cut glass, is it advisable to go for a 70-80% transparent anti-glare film?
All sun films, irrespective of the %age transparency, are illegal and if caught by police they will fine you and to add salt will tear off the film. It is a chance which some people take. You may decide your choice.

Quote:
PS- Sorry for the multiple questions in this thread. Having sleepless nights thinking about all such petty questions before the big day of booking it!
You are most welcome to ask as many questions. We all have been through such a phase in past and am sure we will go through it again in future when buying a new car
GTX+ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 16:12   #2147
BHPian

Quote:
Still got to understand when to switch to N, when to P, when to apply electric handbrake, auto-hold, etc.
That's the beauty of driving the GTX+. This should serve as a quick reference:

1) N - shift only when you are stuck in another gear (like D), you need towing and the car does not let it to be moved in D.

2) P + electric handbrake - when parking your car. Some might suggest you do this when stopping at traffic light for long, say more than 30 sec, but truly it's unnecessary and has absolutely no advantage in a modern DCT gear.

3) Auto-hold - just keep the setting to ON state. When you apply brakes for a second or two longer, after the car has come to a complete stop, auto-hold will kick-in. When you press the accelerator a little, auto-hold (and electric handbrake, if it is applied) will all be OFF and your car will move. This works flawlessly when your car is on an incline or on a flat surface, in D or P.

Try once and you'll realise how easy it makes your driving. I won't consider buying an automatic car without auto-hold feature ever again.

Last edited by jazzy : 2nd April 2024 at 16:12. Reason: grammar
Old 2nd April 2024, 16:43   #2148
BHPian

Spot on Jazzy. Just 1 correction and 1 addition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
3) Auto-hold - just keep the setting to ON state. When you press the accelerator a little, auto-hold (and electric handbrake, if it is applied) will all be OFF and your car will move.
Auto-hold and EPB cannot be engaged simultaneously. If say auto-hold is engaged (Auto-hold sign in Green on the MID), and you engage EPB, Auto-hold automatically disengages (Auto-hold sign turns white on the MID).

Addition

Auto-hold + ISG (Idle Start & Go) is indeed a boon for drivers and a saver for DCT gearbox. However, when in continuous stop & go traffic, I disable ISG because no sooner it turns off the car, we have to move again. So to avoid engine turning on/off every 3-4 seconds, I turn the ISG off and during such times shift from D to N and let the engine run.

P, as mentioned earlier, I only use either during parking or when I have to step out of the car for a few mins (when there are other occupants in the car and so need to keep car/AC running).
Old 2nd April 2024, 17:03   #2149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTX+ View Post
Spot on Jazzy. Just 1 correction and 1 addition.

Auto-hold and EPB cannot be engaged simultaneously. If say auto-hold is engaged (Auto-hold sign in Green on the MID), and you engage EPB, Auto-hold automatically disengages (Auto-hold sign turns white on the MID).

Addition

Auto-hold + ISG (Idle Start & Go) is indeed a boon for drivers and a saver for DCT gearbox. However, when in continuous stop & go traffic, I disable ISG because no sooner it turns off the car, we have to move again. So to avoid engine turning on/off every 3-4 seconds, I turn the ISG off and during such times shift from D to N and let the engine run.

P, as mentioned earlier, I only use either during parking or when I have to step out of the car for a few mins (when there are other occupants in the car and so need to keep car/AC running).

Yes, you are right and I need to rephrase but too late. It's auto-hold OR EPB, not both together.

I don't think engine turns on/off every 3-4 seconds, it's more like every 30-40 sec but I have never measured.

Shifting to N and back makes me feel like it's still a manual. May be there is an advantage there by turning to N but from all the reading/research I did, I didn't find any evidence.
Old 2nd April 2024, 17:43   #2150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
Yes, you are right and I need to rephrase but too late. It's auto-hold OR EPB, not both together.

I don't think engine turns on/off every 3-4 seconds, it's more like every 30-40 sec but I have never measured.

Shifting to N and back makes me feel like it's still a manual. May be there is an advantage there by turning to N but from all the reading/research I did, I didn't find any evidence.
What I meant was, when in stop & go traffic, say for e.g. you stop and within a second or so ISG turns off the engine but in another couple of seconds you have to move so you press the pedal to turn on the car move a few feet and stop again, and the cycle repeats. Hence to avoid this frequent engine start/stop every few seconds, I turn off ISG.

Mind you I turn off ISG only when I can see huge traffic ahead and we keep inching. Otherwise in normal traffic conditions, I do use Auto-hold + ISG.
GTX+ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 19:07   #2151
BHPian

Quote:
Was scanning through the thread since I am about to book the Seltos GTX+ Petrol DCT tomorrow.
I took the test drive one more time today at around 11.30 am and the dashboard reflection on the windshield was very evident. Not only the speaker grille, but I could see the entire dashboard's top surface reflections, which was quite distracting.
I believe GTX+ has answered it pretty comprehensively, but just gonna leave this here for reinforcement.

The reflections are completely mitigated by wearing polarized sunglasses. I thought the high reflectiveness had to do with the angle of the windscreen but later realized it's a feature of the glass. Any annoyance with the UV cut glass vanished during the recent heat spike in Bengaluru. With both cars parked side by side under direct afternoon sun, the ambient temperature inside my car is markedly lower than that in a pre-facelift TechLine model Seltos parked right beside it.
arcanec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 19:09   #2152
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
If Forward collision detection and rear collision detection, blind spot assistance are all turned on, when driving on a highway, if two trucks are going in two adjacent lanes with let us say 2 cars distance between them, I am used to overtaking by weaving through.
But will ADAS apply brakes in such situations? Different levels of ADAS are there like setting near, far, etc. But I don't want to learn it in such situations directly. I need to understand how to overtake in such situations when all features are turned on. Otherwise, there is a high chance of rear-ending.
If I understand correctly, 2 trucks are in 2 different lanes but are maintaining a distance of 2 cars between them and someone passes through by changing lane. Is that correct scenario?

If so my understanding is ADAS will give you a audio/visual warning, but it would not break.

Also I agree with some other comments on this point that we need to drive safely when cars have ADAS enabled in them.
Old 2nd April 2024, 22:47   #2153
BHPian

Hello team,

Request your help on my conundrum!

I was on a long trip to home town from Bangalore in my 4 months old Seltos IVT. I have just driven 1700 KM and was looking forward for a long road trip.

Just before the trip, I have filled the GoodYear Tyres with recommended 35 PSI Nitrogen. After driving for nearly 100 Km, through the TPMS, realised that one tyre (front left) is loosing pressure. I took it to Salem VST service station on the way and they identified it to a leakage from side wall for unknown reasons. Since I was almost certain that it is a quality issue as I have driven through only good highway roads so far, wanted to claim warranty. Service center discouraged to raise a complaint, but replaced the tyre with the spare.

I reached my hometown and after couple of days, noticed that one other tyre pressure is also on the lower side. Through RSA, a technician visited and confirmed that leakage is through the side wall again. No puncture, no scrapes, no nails, nothing. Exactly same issue as in the first instance.

Now, two of my tyres have exactly same problem and if I fix it outside the service center, it may void the tyre warranty. I am very certain that it is a defect and would like to claim warranty. To claim warranty, I have to tow the vehicle to the service center and they may take god only knows days to get the GoodYear expert and to confirm if the warranty can be claimed or not.

What should I do? Can I fix the tyre locally and still claim for the warranty? Or let go of warranty? What other options I have?

It is so disheartening to see that the new car tyres are having such issues. If it is one tyre, it is understandable, two tyres same issues, what it could be? I lost trust on the GoodYear tyres now. Anybody else faced similar GoodYear tyre issues?

Picture of the leakage location is attached.

Thanks in Advance!
Attached Thumbnails
2023 Kia Seltos Facelift Review-tire_pic.jpeg  

marathp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2024, 00:21   #2154
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I did not mean rash weaving. If you are on right lane and there is a truck in front of you, one truck in middle lane with two cars gap in front of the right lane truck, and one more truck just at the same level as your car in the middle lane, when there is sufficient gap, the only way to overtake is by weaving, but yeah not rashly.
However, even though I ensure there is sufficient gap, I want to know from those who use ADAS in these situations regularly, can you expect any ADAS intervention here and application of sudden brakes, which would be hazardous due to a possible rear-ending.

Don't ever try that with adas switched on unless you are absolutely sure that the distance is enough. According to me, when you are changing lanes at high speeds, with other vehicles already close to you, it's very difficult to gauge when the distance between your car and vehicle infront comes down to the point that will engage ADAS.

I did that once when my X-line was just a couple of days old and I was not used to how ADAS actually works. My car's ADAS definitely came into action and applied breaks very harshly.

With ADAS on one cannot afford to do anything that isn't supposed to done. Gradually I got used to it and my driving etiquettes changed drastically and I drive much safer now thanks to ADAS.

Last edited by Mr Anderson : 3rd April 2024 at 00:35.
Mr Anderson is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2024, 12:43   #2155
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I did not mean rash weaving. If you are on right lane and there is a truck in front of you, one truck in middle lane with two cars gap in front of the right lane truck, and one more truck just at the same level as your car in the middle lane, when there is sufficient gap, the only way to overtake is by weaving, but yeah not rashly.
However, even though I ensure there is sufficient gap, I want to know from those who use ADAS in these situations regularly, can you expect any ADAS intervention here and application of sudden brakes, which would be hazardous due to a possible rear-ending.
So this is a three truck problem and you would want to squeeze through. How can you be sure that there is no idiot on the left most lane who also would like to do the same maneuver at the same time?

Sorry for being preachy again but take life easy, let that situation pass and then overtake. With ADAS certainly not, till you have enough experience on highways on the behaviour of ADAS. To be sure, when ADAS activates, it does break harshly.

Anyway, best wishes for your anticipated booking this beauty of a car.
SeniorC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2024, 13:45   #2156
BHPian

Thanks to all the responses. I have gone ahead and booked the Imperial Blue GTX+ Petrol DCT variant.

I was inclined towards X-line. But, I also had minor concerns regarding X-line, whether even after PPF, it will retain the matte finish after 3-4 years, and whether it is worth 70k extra for the HUD and interiors.

Anyway, my wife didn't like the matte finish and grey color. She liked the Metallic gloss finish. And nobody can override the home minister!

Initially, SA said the car would be available in 2-3 weeks. But after booking it, he said it is immediately available surprisingly! It may take 2-3 days to get the car from Kia's stockyard to the dealer stockyard, after which I can go ahead and do the PDI.

If I am opting for accessories like side garnish, door edge guard, bumper protector, etc, and then get PPF done from a different dealer outside, they will have to remove these accessories again and stick it back I think? I have read about the Seltos badge, GT line badge coming off after a few days after applying PPF and re-sticking these. So, is it going to be a problem eventually?
MalnadMansha is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2024, 14:02   #2157
BHPian

Quote:
I have gone ahead and booked the Imperial Blue GTX+ Petrol DCT variant.
Congratulations ... very good choice and I am sure you are going to enjoy your car. I hope the delivery process goes smooth and soon we hear from you your initial driving experience.

Quote:
If I am opting for accessories like side garnish, door edge guard, bumper protector, etc, and then get PPF done from a different dealer outside, they will have to remove these accessories again and stick it back I think? I have read about the Seltos badge, GT line badge coming off after a few days after applying PPF and re-sticking these. So, is it going to be a problem eventually?
Some detailers remove the badges however some do not. Those who do not remove, they actually cut the PPF film around those badges. I personally feel the second option is better because a) I do not want the badge to be removed and refixed, God knows how good the refixing would be and b) I am not sure how well and long enough will the badges stick on the PPF film.

Hence when I went for PPF, I ensure the detailer followed option 2. The detailer has done a good job of cutting around the badges.
GTX+ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2024, 14:03   #2158
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks to all the responses. I have gone ahead and booked the Imperial Blue GTX+ Petrol DCT variant.
Congratulations on booking your car! Hope to see your buying and ownership review soon.

Quote:
Initially, SA said the car would be available in 2-3 weeks. But after booking it, he said it is immediately available surprisingly! It may take 2-3 days to get the car from Kia's stockyard to the dealer stockyard, after which I can go ahead and do the PDI.
Would recommend making sure itís not a 2023 make given that the car has suddenly become available.

Quote:
Heard it too. I think it depends on the workmanship of the detailer. Perhaps talk to the detailer and understand their procedure of pasting the badges back.

Good luck .
Old 3rd April 2024, 14:10   #2159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col Mehta View Post
Would recommend making sure itís not a 2023 make given that the car has suddenly become available.
Yes, will check it during PDI. However, I am sure it is a 2024 model since I had specifically asked if he has any 2023 December model available, since they would give a good discount on that.
MalnadMansha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2024, 14:18   #2160
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, will check it during PDI.
You can check that even before the PDI. Simply ask him to share the car's VIN number.

The 10th character of the VIN represents the year of manufacture. So in your car's VIN, if the 10th character is P, then it is a 2023 make and if it is R and it is a 2024 make.
GTX+ is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed