Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2024, 09:43   #1741
kvk

Re: Honda Elevate Review

My 2023 Elevate has ~6500 km on it and has been everything I wanted, in a SUV version of the City that I owned before, for running around the city and trips out of town (thus far), all self-drive. Love it! I am 64.
kvk is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 18th April 2024, 14:51   #1742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvk View Post
My 2023 Elevate has ~6500 km on it and has been everything I wanted, in a SUV version of the City that I owned before, for running around the city and trips out of town (thus far), all self-drive. Love it! I am 64.
What version did you opt for?
Old 19th April 2024, 15:20   #1743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadriver View Post
The problem with wireless AA/ACP is that they both communicate with the HU over bluetooth. And IMHO, the bandwidth of the BT standard they must be following in the HU may not be enough to sustain AA/ACP in typical urban driving scenario with lots of radio interference in the BT spectrum. So I wouldn't hold my breath for this software fix that's coming from Honda.

I have moved to using BT-audio instead of AppleCarPlay. Now my music and my phone calls have no jitters or drops.
I partially agree with what you say.

Wireless Android Auto/Apple CarPlay doesn't solely rely on Bluetooth for communication. Instead, it establishes a hotspot-like network for heavy data transfers such as navigation and even video streaming (Yes, it's possible). Bluetooth is primarily used for functions like calls and initial connection setup. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Elevate comes with Bluetooth v4 (Assumed. Most Alpine HU runs v4.2), which has better bandwidth but still may fail in urban areas due to interference in the BT spectrum. The problem is, I am facing the same disconnection issue on deserted rural roads with no humans living nearby. If the problem is with the technology itself, every manufacturer should have the same issue, which is not the case. I don't claim that other manufacturers' HUs are flawless. I am okay with disruption once in a while but definitely not every 30 minutes.

I have a habit of enabling maps even while commuting to the office and back home. I have paid for the wireless feature and am not considering settling with the wired feature.
akhilshenay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2024, 15:44   #1744

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilshenay View Post
I have a habit of enabling maps even while commuting to the office and back home. I have paid for the wireless feature and am not considering settling with the wired feature.
You are right. It does use WiFi after negotiating the initial connection with BT. Then, the software fix may help by changing the frequency channel slightly or majorly (depending on which flavour of 802.11xx it is using).

For me, the disruptions happened at certain sections of my commute route every time. And they have disappeared after going to BT-Audio instead of Apple CarPlay.
hondadriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2024, 17:57   #1745
BHPian

Finally, I also got to taste the bitter side of ADAS in Elevate. I have seen many owners complaining in this same thread about the Collision Mitigation Braking System kicking in without any reason. I thought it might be due to individual driving styles that may have contributed to the emergency braking until it happened to me last day.
It is freakingly inaccurate in the city with bumper to bumper traffic.

I was calmly following a car at a signal with heavy traffic when that car in front braked, even though there was a lot of space in front (1 car length). The CMBS engaged forcefully, leaving me helpless and vulnerable to potential rear-end collisions. A speeding TNRTC bus approaching from behind heightened the danger, but thankfully, it swerved to the left in the nick of time, narrowly avoiding a collision. After the incident, I was met with a torrent of colorful language from the bus driver. Although the bus driver wasn't entirely blameless for tailgating, such incidents are all too common on Indian roads.

My assessment of Honda's camera-based ADAS is that it's inadequately calibrated for Indian road conditions, posing significant safety risks. A radar-based system would likely offer better accuracy.

Regarding specific ADAS features:

CMBS: I'll avoid using it in city traffic due to its erratic behavior.
Lane Keep Assist: Helpful for long journeys, providing some relaxation.
Road Departure Mitigation: Although intrusive, it fosters better driving habits.
Highbeam Assist: Mostly unreliable; tends to miss its mark.
Lead Car Departure Alert: Lacks practicality in India, where honking starts before any supercomputer could warn you.
Adaptive Cruise Control: Acceleration feels overly aggressive, detracting from a relaxed driving experience.

In summary, aside from Lane Keep Assist, I find the ADAS package in Elevate lacking practical utility for my driving needs, and CMBS as dangerous.
akhilshenay is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th April 2024, 18:23   #1746
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Road Departure Mitigation: Although intrusive, it fosters better driving habits.
Lead Car Departure Alert: Lacks practicality in India, where honking starts before any supercomputer could warn you.
Adaptive Cruise Control: Acceleration feels overly aggressive, detracting from a relaxed driving experience.

In summary, aside from Lane Keep Assist, I find the ADAS package in Elevate lacking practical utility for my driving needs, and CMBS as dangerous.
Your assessment is very well...ummm...calibrated

I had a taste of the CMBS just like you and in almost an identical situation in the Honda City. In bumper to bumper traffic, I was just closing in gap with the car ahead. I was doing a max of 10KMPH. Even with more than enough distance remaining, the car braked violently with a grinding sound. I don't know if it was the ABS triggering or something else. Not sure if ABS would trigger at 10KMPH but surely felt like so. Thankfully the vehicles at rear were at a distance and nothing untoward happened but if anyone rear ended me given the way it applied the brakes- I wouldn't be able to blame them.
I can live with the Lane Assist and road departure although they feel intrusive but I would want to turn off the emergency brakes completely forever, both for city and highway driving.

Adaptive cruise control is good in general but it accelerates pretty aggressively and even brakes aggressively if the vehicle ahead stops even with lot of distance. Both the acceleration and deacceleration is too aggressive for anyone's liking. But I think most cruise control cars behave this way if you set a higher speed.

Last edited by saket77 : 19th April 2024 at 18:24.
saket77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th April 2024, 20:07   #1747
kvk

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibhav_a_a View Post
What version did you opt for?
I got the ZX CVT. Sorry for the belated reply.
kvk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2024, 11:38   #1748
BHPian

Quote:
Finally, I also got to taste the bitter side of ADAS in Elevate.
Agreed. I hope Honda gives a permanent switch off option. Kia gives that. Honda does not even have a dedicated switch for CMBS, like it does for Lane Keep Assist. This, in combination with that meaningless disclaimer every time on HU where you have to click OK is taking the fun out of NA engine and making us wait, just like, you have to for turbos. I hope Honda listens and gives a permanent solution.
sud153 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2024, 18:09   #1749
BHPian

Quote:
Finally, I also got to taste the bitter side of ADAS in Elevate. I have seen many owners complaining in this same thread about the Collision Mitigation Braking System kicking in without any reason. I thought it might be due to individual driving styles that may have contributed to the emergency braking until it happened to me last day.
It is freakingly inaccurate in the city with bumper to bumper traffic.

I was calmly following a car at a signal with heavy traffic when that car in front braked, even though there was a lot of space in front (1 car length). The CMBS engaged forcefully, leaving me helpless and vulnerable to potential rear-end collisions. A speeding TNRTC bus approaching from behind heightened the danger, but thankfully, it swerved to the left in the nick of time, narrowly avoiding a collision. After the incident, I was met with a torrent of colorful language from the bus driver. Although the bus driver wasn't entirely blameless for tailgating, such incidents are all too common on Indian roads.

My assessment of Honda's camera-based ADAS is that it's inadequately calibrated for Indian road conditions, posing significant safety risks. A radar-based system would likely offer better accuracy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Your assessment is very well...ummm...calibrated

I had a taste of the CMBS just like you and in almost an identical situation in the Honda City. In bumper to bumper traffic, I was just closing in gap with the car ahead. I was doing a max of 10KMPH. Even with more than enough distance remaining, the car braked violently with a grinding sound. I don't know if it was the ABS triggering or something else. Not sure if ABS would trigger at 10KMPH but surely felt like so. Thankfully the vehicles at rear were at a distance and nothing untoward happened but if anyone rear ended me given the way it applied the brakes- I wouldn't be able to blame them.
I can live with the Lane Assist and road departure although they feel intrusive but I would want to turn off the emergency brakes completely forever, both for city and highway driving.

Adaptive cruise control is good in general but it accelerates pretty aggressively and even brakes aggressively if the vehicle ahead stops even with lot of distance. Both the acceleration and deacceleration is too aggressive for anyone's liking. But I think most cruise control cars behave this way if you set a higher speed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sud153 View Post
Agreed. I hope Honda gives a permanent switch off option. Kia gives that. Honda does not even have a dedicated switch for CMBS, like it does for Lane Keep Assist. This, in combination with that meaningless disclaimer every time on HU where you have to click OK is taking the fun out of NA engine and making us wait, just like, you have to for turbos. I hope Honda listens and gives a permanent solution.
There might be a recall for some Honda cars in the US after several complaints over the unexpected automatic braking.

Quote:
The complaints allege that the automatic emergency braking system can brake the vehicles with nothing in their forward path, increasing the risk of a crash. The agency said it has 47 reports of crashes and 112 reports of injuries from the problem.
https://apnews.com/article/honda-crv...f1d6c49ff8f877

It'll never be an enjoyable ride for the driver if he has to constantly worry about the CMBS activating unexpectedly in an ADAS-equipped ZX CVT.
NK@Hyd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st April 2024, 12:28   #1750
BHPian

Quote:
Even with more than enough distance remaining, the car braked violently with a grinding sound. I don't know if it was the ABS triggering or something else. Not sure if ABS would trigger at 10KMPH but surely felt like so. Thankfully the vehicles at rear were at a distance and nothing untoward happened but if anyone rear ended me given the way it applied the brakes- I wouldn't be able to blame them.
I am happy that I am not alone with this issue
Prior to the mentioned incident, CMBS had activated several times, albeit without much force. It would issue a warning and then engage the brakes, but I could easily take control without any trouble. However, this time, there was no warning beforehand, and the brakes were applied forcefully. Each time, there was a bothersome grinding noise coming from the brakes. I don't think it's the ABS being activated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sud153 View Post
Agreed. I hope Honda gives a permanent switch off option.
I am anticipating such an option which is an easy update. I have contacted the service center and they are flooded with similar issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NK@Hyd View Post
There might be a recall for some Honda cars in the US after several complaints over the unexpected automatic braking.
If similar issues are cropping up in the US too, we can't attribute the problem solely to Indian driving conditions. There seems to be a fundamental issue with Honda Sensing that demands immediate attention. Until then, I am not gonna use CMBS under any circumstances.
Old 21st April 2024, 12:54   #1751
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Prior to the mentioned incident, CMBS had activated several times, albeit without much force. It would issue a warning and then engage the brakes, but I could easily take control without any trouble. However, this time, there was no warning beforehand, and the brakes were applied forcefully. Each time, there was a bothersome grinding noise coming from the brakes. I don't think it's the ABS being activated.
Yes, Iím also not trusting the CMBS for now. The least Honda can do for now is to provide a software update where we can turn off this system completely. Regarding the grinding noise, I think it was the ABS only. Donít see anything else making that noise.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2024, 13:10   #1752
BHPian

Quote:
Regarding the grinding noise, I think it was the ABS only. Donít see anything else making that noise.
The ABS noise I'm familiar with usually appears as a pulsating sound, but what I'm hearing now is a continuous grinding noise.
With CMBS currently turned off, if I encounter an uneventful situation where ABS comes into play, I'll provide an update here.
akhilshenay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2024, 16:06   #1753
BHPian

Quote:
I am anticipating such an option which is an easy update. I have contacted the service center and they are flooded with similar issues.
I am not too optimistic about this, because City has same issue and they still did not update City with this.
sud153 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2024, 08:34   #1754
BHPian

Honda seems to be trying hard to keep up the Elevate sales through marketing budget and a bunch of branded content from reviewers. It is good to see them trying on the marketing side, but I hope they will work on some feature updates and noise reduction too.*

sud153 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th April 2024, 09:04   #1755
BHPian

You can switch off the CMBS each time you start the car. One has to get used to doing this as a routine.
ashokabs is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed