Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2024, 06:52   #46
BHPian

Re: 2024 Force Gurkha 5-Door Review

What happened to the 2.2L engine? If they could use the gearbox, why not the engine? Issues with BS6 etc?
Old 2nd May 2024, 09:29   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post

Bird's eye view of the centre console. The lever to operate the 4WD system has been replaced by an electronic shifter, which means you get an additional cubbyhole to use. Two cupholders have been provided as well:

New 5-speed gear lever has a leather boot. Force has used the transmission from the Gurkha Xtreme due to the additional power and torque produced by the engine:
...the shift-on-the-fly switch for the 4WD system is on the right:
Has the company disclosed technical specifications for this comfy 4WD vehicle, including details such as the gearbox and transfer case used or upgraded, any major changes in the front and rear axles compared to the 3-door Gurkha, and the factory differential gear ratios?

This vehicle prioritizes basic off-road capabilities while offering added luxury for on-road comfort, making it suitable as a daily driver to rival Mahindra's sales. However, the irony lies in the Gurkha's after-sales service.

Gurkha should consider launching a vehicle akin to the LC70 series—basic yet highly capable—meeting the BS6 Indian norms. This model would cater to those seeking rugged functionality without compromising on regulatory standards.
vivekdewanta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2024, 12:53   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggkg View Post
What happened to the 2.2L engine? If they could use the gearbox, why not the engine? Issues with BS6 etc?
IIRC they mentioned it being too expensive to upgrade to BS6 (and subsequent norms). I think it was only offered on 3 vehicles. The Force one, Gurkha Extreme and One variant of the Traveller. So the investment wouldn't be justified. I remember seeing videos of how smooth and vibe-free it was on some youtube videos. But was it good offroad? I have seen a few offroading videos and I felt the OM616/FM2.6CR engined Gurkha had better traction and crawling ability. I haven't driven the Xtreme so can't really say if it was the engine or the driver that made it look bad.
Force was also offering lesser warranty, in terms of km and years on the OM611 compared to the OM616/FM2.6CR.
Pradzz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2024, 13:37   #49
BHPian

I understand this is a vehicle focused on specific requirements, in this case hardcore off-roading.
But does that mean that a company can throw at the buyers so many rough edges. Who are these parts suppliers, is there no QC from the supplier side and Force side?
rajivr1612 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2024, 18:03   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Force Gurkha 5-door launched at Rs 18 lakh.

The updated Gurkha 3-door costs Rs 16.75 lakh (ex-showroom).

Quote:
New Gurkha 3-door priced Rs 1.75 lakh higher than entry-level Thar diesel 4WD
Gurkha now more powerful than Thar diesel
Gurkha gets more features than entry-level Thar AX OPT
Quote:
both versions of the Gurkha get the same 2.6-litre Mercedes-sourced diesel engine, which has been upgraded to churn out 140hp and 320Nm, which is a big increase from the 91hp the unit used to put out. This also means that the Gurkha is now more powerful than the Thar – the Mahindra is powered by a 132hp, 2.2-litre diesel mill.

With features such as a 9.0-inch touchscreen infotainment system, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, a digital instrument cluster, powered ORVMs, tilt and telescopic sterring adjust, and a rear camera, along with a tyre pressure monitoring system, the Gurkha is better equipped than the previously mentioned entry-level Thar, which should help justify the Rs 1.75 lakh asking price.
Link:

Last edited by volkman10 : 2nd May 2024 at 18:05.
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2024, 18:20   #51
BHPian

Gurkha experts here, anyone who can shed some light on the improvements over what were niggles on older versions?

The price seems to be a bit high, but it’s a specialty product and it is worth what is for those that want that for what it is.

I’m considering selling my 3 year Thar that I never felt connected to like I did with my Bolero.

I’m expecting this to be a good option for Overlanding.
Old 3rd May 2024, 18:43   #52

Someone mentioned that the New Force Gurkha has a BMW engine. You're wrong, this has a Mercedes OM616 engine, not BMW. Booking today. I can hardly wait for the delivery in 1st week of June so that I could take it from Bangalore to my hometown, Kodaikanal. I will certainly comment on my experience; all terrain (AT)

3 questions, appreciate if anybody could answer.

1.Does anyone who has driven a Force Gurkha know if the snorkel would obstruct the view slightly especially if you're driving around corners?

2. If I remove the spare tyre (will truly need them only when I travel, not for daily use) will the space look ugly?

3. Considering they have increased the bhp & torque in the new variant, I'm hoping pickup will not be an issue. Anybody thinking on these lines? Earlier I felt that this would be a slow starter and not good on highways. I'm not going to race but don't want to look like a lame horse.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 3rd May 2024 at 19:24. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
Old 3rd May 2024, 20:14   #53
Senior - BHPian

He's my take on the 2024 Gurkha.

I was disappointed with the overall offering. I was hoping for a better cabin experience and theessed up seating and plastics quality threw me off. I wonder who approves these decisions and if competitor offerings were evaluated, dissected and targets set based on what they learned.

The Jimny (until the Thar 5-door launches) is a completely different animal but the refinement, fit, finish and materials are so much better. The Gurkha still feels like you travelled back in time to the 90s.

Last edited by gsferrari : 3rd May 2024 at 20:18.
gsferrari is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th May 2024, 16:38   #54
BHPian

2024 Force Gurkha 5-Door Review-screen-shot-20240503-18.44.26.png

Here's how the Gurkha stacks up against its rivals and some cross shoppers on the pricing game.
vigneshkumar31 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 4th May 2024, 19:15   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATdriver View Post
3 questions, appreciate if anybody could answer.

1.Does anyone who has driven a Force Gurkha know if the snorkel would obstruct the view slightly especially if you're driving around corners?
The driver side A pillar is a huge blind spot. You'll have to move your torso and look around it to confirm the path is clear. It also perfectly blocks merging roads when you are on narrow roadways like the inner roads of Goa/Kerala/Bangalore.

Quote:
2. If I remove the spare tyre (will truly need them only when I travel, not for daily use) will the space look ugly?
Highly recommend not doing this. If you end up with a flat tire you'll kick yourself for leaving the spare behind. At 2300-3125 kilos, you will destroy a flat tire by trying to move even 100 meters to a puncture shop.

Quote:
3. Considering they have increased the bhp & torque in the new variant, I'm hoping pickup will not be an issue. Anybody thinking on these lines? Earlier I felt that this would be a slow starter and not good on highways. I'm not going to race but don't want to look like a lame horse.
It is very decent in the bottom end but runs out of steam pretty quickly. 60-120 is pretty slow compared to Thar/Jimny etc. The problem is the narrow power band and the sheer mass of the Gurkha.

Hope this helps!
gsferrari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2024, 07:42   #56
BHPian

Now that the Gurkha has been finally launched and my old Thar CRDe sold, I desperately need all kinds of opinion and feedback to help make a decision.

To say that I am in two minds is a oxymoronic in itself.

1. The Thar being a Short Wheel Base (SWB) , suited my daily requirements perfectly as a married bachelor. Having used a Jeep Wrangler in the past, the heart is set on a SWB.

2. Both kids have flown the "nest" and the "Family" usage will be minimal, twice a year for Airport duty when they arrive and depart.

3. Coming down to 5 door version, if one were to buy it, the Bench seats must go and the the Captain seats moved forward to provide ample space for second row passengers and luggage in the back.

Questions :

1. From test drives, does the extra weight of the 5 door causes the vehicle to be sluggish when accelerating.

2. The SWB has the Charm and the 5 door version resembles the old TRAX used in Rural areas as passenger mules, any other thoughts or am I biased.

3. If we move the third row Captain seats to the second row, guess the floor hold that hold the seats currently will have to be plugged, or the same bolts installed to avoid creating a rusting zone.

4. 99.999% of my travel is solo, so is the additional expense on the 5 door and the tinkering of the seats add any value over that of the 3 door?.

Soliciting everybody's thoughts, suggestions opinions please;
Old 5th May 2024, 09:18   #57
Senior - BHPian

Get the 3-door, remove the rear seats, lay down wooden decking front to back, add a powered fridge, battery inverter, rooftop solar panel and install a batwing awning. It'll be perfect!
gsferrari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2024, 11:03   #58
BHPian

Tried to get a test drive over the weekend. Seems like they have only one dealership in Mumbai, Mira Rd and the 5 door Gurkha is yet to be delivered even there.

The sales person promised to arrange for a test drive near my home(palava) in a month, which is definitely intriguing as our roads are no better than a 4x4 adventure course.

Looking forward to testing thoroughly and sharing my observations here.

Few questions I have are to do with the day to day usability in city and practicality given the limited features compared to competition.

Test drove the ScorpioN and the Scorpio classic just for fun. From a purists perspective the Gurkha is good for off-road capability, from a realistic view, on hands use will determine my decision to purchase.
Old 6th May 2024, 04:31   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post

Force Gurkha Cons

• Missing features such as 6 airbags, ESP, hill-hold / descent control, sunroof, auto headlamps, auto wipers, driver's seat height & lumbar adjustment, auto-dimming IRVM, electrically folding ORVMs etc.
You mention that the 2024 Gurkha doesn't hill descent control, but on EVO India review, Sirish says the hill descent control is programmed into ECU and it automatically kicks in. He also says it has 3 locking differentials. Does Gurkha get center locking diff too or am I missing something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post

3. Coming down to 5 door version, if one were to buy it, the Bench seats must go and the the Captain seats moved forward to provide ample space for second row passengers and luggage in the back.
One thing to note is that unlike the 3 door rear captain seats, these do not come with armrests and they do not recline either. Then there is the whole drama of either drilling new holes in the floor or making brackets that will bolt then to the existing holes (also closing unnecessary ones).

Upside is the humungous boot you will get though.

On a different note, can you make the same seats detachable (some kind of clamp thingy), like something you see on the C3 Aircross? Instead of unscrewing all bolts, one can simply detach the seats and stow them away when not needed (and would be very easy to put them back when needed)

Last edited by Turbanator : 6th May 2024 at 05:09. Reason: Back to Back posts merged. Trimmed quoted posts
Pradzz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2024, 06:20   #60
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pradzz View Post
You mention that the 2024 Gurkha doesn't hill descent control, but on EVO India review, Sirish says the hill descent control is programmed into ECU and it automatically kicks in.
Isn't this what Maruti and many other manufacturers do? Gurkha is probably missing a dedicated hill descent control where you can set the speed of descent.

I don't see any central differential lock control. Since Gurkha has a 4x4 high mode, a central differential is a must. So there should be one albeit not lockable.

This article explains nicely. Check point 3 and the explanation by the Audi engineer.

https://carnity.com/forums/topic/167...ont-explained/
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed