Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2024, 06:39   #76
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2024 Force Gurkha 5-Door Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourX4 View Post
Has anybody done the test drive yet?? Reviews talk about issue with the braking. Feeble brake bite and coming late. Massive vehicle like this needs disc brakes on rear too. As the power has also gone up the brakes would have been upgraded also. Any insight please??
I test drove the new Gurkha 3-door twice in last 3 days from MAPL Force Noida. The Gurkha 5-door is not available for TD yet however they have one on display at the moment. Some observations from the short TD -

• The powertrain feels much better than the one in the outgoing Gurkha. It is still not a spirited mile muncher however should do well at cruising speeds.
  • The clutch feels extremely light and easy to use.
  • The interiors are just about functional but the centre console now looks way better.
  • Interior panels feel crude however quite robust.
  • The brake bite is inadequate. You have to press the brake lever completely to make this behemoth stop. Definitely needs an upgrade.
  • The offroad prowess felt exemplary. I took the vehicle to the yamuna floodplains and the way it tackled some sections was just drool worthy.
Attached Thumbnails
2024 Force Gurkha 5-Door Review-img_5243.jpeg  

2024 Force Gurkha 5-Door Review-img_5242.jpeg  

2024 Force Gurkha 5-Door Review-img_5241.jpeg  

2024 Force Gurkha 5-Door Review-img_5229.jpeg  

2024 Force Gurkha 5-Door Review-img_5240.jpeg  

2024 Force Gurkha 5-Door Review-img_5237.jpeg  

2024 Force Gurkha 5-Door Review-img_5236.jpeg  

2024 Force Gurkha 5-Door Review-img_5235.jpeg  

2024 Force Gurkha 5-Door Review-img_5223.jpeg  

2024 Force Gurkha 5-Door Review-img_5248.jpeg  

2024 Force Gurkha 5-Door Review-img_5251.jpeg  

2024 Force Gurkha 5-Door Review-img_5250.jpeg  

2024 Force Gurkha 5-Door Review-img_5225.jpeg  

2024 Force Gurkha 5-Door Review-img_5247.jpeg  

Last edited by //M : 12th June 2024 at 06:42.
//M is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 18th June 2024, 12:51   #77
Senior - BHPian

The first few deliveries of the 2024 Gurkha have hit the road.

2024 Force Gurkha 5-Door Review-smartselect_20240618124537_instagram.jpg

2024 Force Gurkha 5-Door Review-smartselect_20240618124546_instagram.jpg

2024 Force Gurkha 5-Door Review-smartselect_20240618124555_instagram.jpg

2024 Force Gurkha 5-Door Review-smartselect_20240618124604_instagram.jpg

2024 Force Gurkha 5-Door Review-smartselect_20240618124614_instagram.jpg

2024 Force Gurkha 5-Door Review-smartselect_20240618124623_instagram.jpg

2024 Force Gurkha 5-Door Review-smartselect_20240618124632_instagram.jpg

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th June 2024, 11:02   #78

I did a very short test drive at Rohit wheels gurgaon.Enough has been said about the interiors and use of plastics and personally I do not give a lot of attention to that. Force cant match the cabin provided in Thar. Overall a good machine but with 2 major issues,
1. BRAKING Capability- way BELOW optimal for this vehicle almost to the limit of being UNSAFE on road. Deal breaker for me. Was waiting for so long to get hands on this monster but not any more. Force always seems to miss something or the other.
2. Short Gears- You need to switch gears a lot as the powerband is quite narrow. In traffic it would be an issue.
Though the clutch is superbly soft. Atleast it won't be a pain in your CALF.
I believe FORCE forgot that they have increased power on the motor and they need to upgrade the brakes accordingly. This machine needs disc brakes on both ends. In current avatar it is going to be very nervous drive in Indian traffic conditions.
FourX4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2024, 10:31   #79

Looks like Force Gurkha may get an AT afterall. Found this on AutocarIndia's website that says FM might source it from JATCO

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...luation-431958
Old 22nd June 2024, 13:07   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pradzz View Post
Looks like Force Gurkha may get an AT afterall. Found this on AutocarIndia's website that says FM might source it from JATCO

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...luation-431958
This has been debunked by FORCE for now on their Instagram handle.
Attached Thumbnails
2024 Force Gurkha 5-Door Review-screenshot_20240622130554.jpg  

FourX4 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2024, 20:59   #81

Quote:
This has been debunked by FORCE for now on their Instagram handle.
Honestly, even if they have an AT in the works, they can't really confirm it simply because it will hamper the already limited sales the new 3 and 5 door variants will have. Gurkha does not enjoy the same sales numbers as the Thar and given the fact that AT transmission is seeing a rise in demand, it can potentially lead to cancellation of bookings or may even result in delaying the bookings.

The convenience of an AT is always good, especially in stop-go traffic. But I would prefer a manual any day. That said, Force will have to offer one sooner than later, so given the time frame of 18-24 months ( as quoted by them), might as well start working on it (if they haven't already).
Pradzz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2024, 22:32   #82

Quote:
Honestly, even if they have an AT in the works, they can't really confirm it simply because it will hamper the already limited sales the new 3 and 5 door variants will have. Gurkha does not enjoy the same sales numbers as the Thar and given the fact that AT transmission is seeing a rise in demand, it can potentially lead to cancellation of bookings or may even result in delaying the bookings.

The convenience of an AT is always good, especially in stop-go traffic. But I would prefer a manual any day. That said, Force will have to offer one sooner than later, so given the time frame of 18-24 months ( as quoted by them), might as well start working on it (if they haven't already).
Exactly that why I wrote for now. I would be happy if they just upgrade the brakes for now. Though FORCE is keeping it's ear on the ground and taking feedbacks. As I took a test drive on 3 door Gurkha, I got a call from FORCE about the feedback. If I remember the name correctly it was Mr. Nitish and as per him he was involved in developing the machine. He listened patiently about the brakes issue I mentioned. He also offered to meet in person and discuss the issue.
I loved the way force is ready to take inputs.
Old 25th June 2024, 01:57   #83

Quote:
I mentioned. He also offered to meet in person and discuss the issue.
I loved the way force is ready to take inputs.
Being a minor player in this space actually gives them a good advantage here (or the consumers actually). I heard they did something similar when the 2021 version was launched too. They went out and took feedback and silently updated stuff over time. Their dedication to improvement is commendable. But reading about the brakes from people who have driven it, it genuinely is not up to the mark and something Force should have fixed (even if it retained drum brakes) on the production model. The fix (if done) should also be provided to the first lot of buyers free of cost IMO.
Old 25th June 2024, 21:24   #84

Quote:
Being a minor player in this space actually gives them a good advantage here (or the consumers actually). I heard they did something similar when the 2021 version was launched too. They went out and took feedback and silently updated stuff over time. Their dedication to improvement is commendable. But reading about the brakes from people who have driven it, it genuinely is not up to the mark and something Force should have fixed (even if it retained drum brakes) on the production model. The fix (if done) should also be provided to the first lot of buyers free of cost IMO.
When I bought Thar Crde in 2013 there were single diaphram brakes and braking was really bad. Lots of negative reviews on different platforms about the same. Mahindra silently upgraded to double diaphram on the 2014 model but did not recall the earlier vehicles for upgrade. I ran behind them for months to get it upgraded and they refused. I told them I will drag them to court equipped with many owners reviews and now upgraded brakes in new model. They finally upgraded mine.
Even in Gurkha BS6.2 they already have increased the master cylinder size as compared to BS6 Gurkha. Still brakes doesn't give you the confidence. I hope they should take the feedback positively and provide disc on both ends ASAP.
Old 26th June 2024, 13:09   #85

Quote:
When I bought Thar Crde in 2013 there were single diaphram brakes and braking was really bad.
IIRC, the first gen Fortuner too had subpar brakes. I remember owners fighting toyota for an upgrade, though I don't know if they actually did it free of cost or was it even possible

Quote:
I hope they should take the feedback positively and provide disc on both ends ASAP.
Considering it's a new model, I assume they would have got the brake kits from the vendors already manufactured. So my guess is, if they will upgrade them to discs, it probably will be a facelift or the 2025 model at the earliest. But I still think they should have done it before the launch itself, especially considering that it's chief rival will undoubtedly be another blockbuster.
Pradzz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2024, 12:59   #86

Hello mates !

After following this thread since its existence, reviews on YouTube and the two test drives session I took up for Gurkha 2024; few questions are still there unanswered as a prospective buyer:

1. How does the DPF and its onboard system's reliability improved over 2021 version? Some Gurkha 2021 owners complained about choking of DPF in driving conditions (low speed drives, high atlitude drives at low oxygen levels etc.) where soot generate and, so, collect in the DPF the most. In certain cases, both passive and active regenerations couldn't effectively cleaned the clogged DPF. Eventually, the owner was left to only option - replacing it with new DPF at the service centre - not only costing him dearly but also left deserted at a remote place.

2. At high altitudes, where the night temperature dips below (-) 11C, how is the performance of the SCR? Understanding DEF/ Ad Blue freezes below (-) 11C, the Gurkha may not deliver enough power to pull unless the DEF is melted and made available in the SCR, as usually coded in the ECU. At such situation, is there any heater installed in Gurkha 2024 to melt down the DEF, if yes, how a driver will understand if the DEF has liquified enough to start driving? If there is no DEF heater, how the car will behave in such circumstances?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12th July 2024, 13:03   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gendiesel View Post

1. How does the DPF and its onboard system's reliability improved over 2021 version?.
Video explains the DPF issue and changes in 2024 model in detail.
vigneshkumar31 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 13th July 2024, 20:50   #88
BHPian

A Sedan Lover Checks Out the Force Gurkha

As a sedan lover, this was one SUV I was curious about. Just did a test drive and here are the key observations:

1. The exterior is a big surprise. Almost every panel is metal. You'd be hard pressed to find a plastic part on the body. Bumper, wheel arches, everything is good old solid metal.

2. 5 door looks wholesome, and has massive presence. The 3-door was not on display.

3. Alloy wheels enhance the butch appeal of this SUV.

4. Interior fit and finish is lacking. But panels feel hard-wearing and solid; same can't be said about the buttons and switches though.

5. This is a key one: Do not judge the legroom at rear by adjusting the front seats in a static car. When you actually take it for a drive, you'll really push the front seats way forward to a very truck like position. Then you'll realize that the legroom in the rear ain't that bad.

6. Steering is adjustable for rake and reach, but range of adjustment is pretty limited. Same for the front seat. No height adjust, fore-aft travel is very limited.

7. Touch screen takes you back to those good old Kenwood days. It is pretty basic, border lining rudimentary. Speaker setup is very basic, inclined towards treble rather than bass or mid.

8. Front seat are fine. Not the best, but not bad either. Rear seats are just like a "Fatta" (North Indian slang for something flat and hard). Last row seats again, are far more comfortable than the middle row. Don't know who could have approved such an arrangement, but it is a rather big flaw of the 5-Door.

9. Access to last row seats is strictly via the tailgate. Mind you, it is not a pleasant sight.

10. AC is chiller. You have a separate compressor for the rear passenger I guess. At 43 degrees and high humidity, I was chilled within a minute of sitting in the car. SAVW group, take a note.

11. Low end torque is excellent. I could pickup from speeds under 20Km/Hr in 3rd gear with ease. It is a benchmark in tractability around cities, inclines and tough off-road conditions. The downside is that near about 3000 RPM, it starts running out of breath.

12. Stability at high speeds is respectable for a car this tall. But maneuverability is not a strong forte, since you are virtually driving a 1 BHK on the first floor. I'd be double pressed to perform a simple lane change above 80 Km/Hr. Solution? Hold the middle lane to yourself and cruise forward.

13. Steering is a bit heavy, but not Isuzu heavy. Weighs up decently with speed, and given the intended purpose of this SUV, it's slow and has some slack. Perfectly in tune with the car.

14. Gearshift is notchy and requires effort. But anyone buying this thing presumably has male ego, and won't complain.

15. Breaks are wooden. They can catch a newbie off-guard. In literal terms, they are poor.

16. It is built to take abuse and it shows. I didn't feel the need to slow down on speed-breakers and potholes. Not to say that you can cross these at 50-60 KM/hr. Skulls are gonna crack against the roof otherwise, typical of a BOF SUV.

17. Ride quality was actually very good. Takes everything with aplomb.

18. Suspension noise is very evident, think of riding in a State Roadways bus. You do not feel the jolts as much as you hear them. So what happens actually is that your body won't feel that pothole, but psychologically you are going to cuss the driver for crashing through the pothole.

19. Service interval of 120 days is stupid. As is the cost; Rs. 8000 - Rs 10000 as per the sales personal. Expecting it to come to around Rs. 12000. More so when you have to change a part. So at around Rs. 30k - 40k per year, is this German luxury levels of maintenance for a Force. Take that.

20. 3- Door variants have a wider range of adjustability for seats, both at front and in the back.
PB65 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th July 2024, 10:36   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post
https://Youtu.be/80xUo5qLo6s?si=DibvICLhjkLlQ9KG

Video explains the DPF issue and changes in 2024 model in detail.
This again brings the issue at high altitude driving. Mostly north Indian terrain has high altitudes and people want these kind of vehicles to explore these areas. If DPF issues still persist what's the point of having such cars for overlanding. Would appreciate any real world high altitude drive review like pangong or khardung-la drive and issues faced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB65 View Post
As a sedan lover, this was one SUV I was curious about. Just did a test drive and here are the key observations:

Service at 120 days is just absurd. Vehicle will see ASC more often than good offroad destinations. It should be kept atleast yearly or minimum 10000Kms. Wonder who comes up with these crazy service timelines.

Last edited by Eddy : 14th July 2024 at 16:20. Reason: Merged. Please use the edit / multiquote functionality instead of back to back posts within 30 mins on the same thread.
Old 17th July 2024, 13:38   #90

Hello everyone! Please take my regards. This is going to be my first post in this prestigious forum after being a regular silent reader for decades.

I just wanted to share my experience with 5 door Gurkha in high altitude. We recently have visited high passes of Arunachal Pradesh 13K feet, 15K feet and it performed flawlessly. We had spent a good amount of time in Bum-la and engine was totally cold when we restarted the car. It started in a single crank and the engine sound felt like cranking a big earthmover. It was fascinating! I am a 100% AC on with all windows up person as I love to see my car's interior always super clean. But now I can't resist the urge of driving it with driver side window down just to experience the snorkel sound, especially in uphills! The temperature was never unpleasant, so can't tell about the performance in sub-zero temperature, but only if the high altitude and thin air pressure is concerned, it passed with flying colours. It felt like home.

There were many deep muddy/slushy sections with sharp hairpins. Other oncoming cars were struggling and wanted to be in the center of the road. I could take Gurkha to the extreme corner of the road where it's deepest shush/mud to make the way for them without any second thought. It's such a truck which makes your confidence tripple fold. It again came out in 2 wheel mode without clutch burn or wheel spin. This beast has enormous capabilities just in 2 wheel drive mode.

I felt the breaking adequate, may be I quickly adopted or the bites became stronger after couple of sharp, safe braking.

I traveled 1100km on highway at one go with boot full of luggage, my senior citizen mother, 8 years old daughter and wife. It indicates the comfort of driving as well as the passengers inside the cabin. I am already pampered with the comfort of Tata Aria in such long runs and I was in hunt of its replacement for a while. The BOF, large, specious, capable, comfortable SUV in budget were my criteria for frequent overlanding purpose with my entire family. I never considered the monocoque/FWD big cars as none of them can outrun the comfort, space and capability of mighty Aria.

I feel lucky that Force motors has kept this beast alive for few of us. May be 2WD Gurkha would sell in large numbers and give some oxygen to 4X4 Gurkhas too.
Attached Thumbnails
2024 Force Gurkha 5-Door Review-img_20240712_084210424.jpg  

2024 Force Gurkha 5-Door Review-img_20240711_142259596.jpg  

2024 Force Gurkha 5-Door Review-img_20240708_055953846.jpg  

dhrubojyoti is offline   (35) Thanks

Most Viewed