Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2010, 06:54   #1561
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC_aashay View Post
below 1500 rpm the engine makes a mild grrr sound like a diesel engine but not that loud. Its audible if the cabin is quiet. Which also lugs the engine. Not healthy.

1700 - 2500 rpm the engine is as quite as it can be. cruising in the city (or on highway 2500rpm) within this engine speed range is the best. balanced engine power and mileage. I generally drive within this range in the city.

beyond 2500 or 3000 - 6600 rpm is where the fun starts!
@Aashay I was going to PM you on this very pt( under 1500), seems it is an issue with all GPs.
I realised this noise only after my 1st servicing on a very quiet road and with no music. It is an irritant i must say. I did speak to fiat technician at BUB service station and he mentioned that thats the way it works with all puntos, you need to pump it up to go to 4th and 5th gears.
Not very much convinced though...

Quote:
On the highway (pune expressway) , once the tyre roll noise kicks in around 100 km/h it starts to get boring listening to the engine with it. But on a quite road its different. Highway presence is amazing.
Spot on !!!!

Wanted to know, did you rotate your tyres after 5000K mark?
Old 23rd March 2010, 12:00   #1562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paritosh2k View Post
@Aashay I was going to PM you on this very pt( under 1500), seems it is an issue with all GPs.
I realised this noise only after my 1st servicing on a very quiet road and with no music. It is an irritant i must say. I did speak to fiat technician at BUB service station and he mentioned that thats the way it works with all puntos, you need to pump it up to go to 4th and 5th gears. ...

...Wanted to know, did you rotate your tyres after 5000K mark?

That grrr noise has been there in all punto's from day 1. I guess that how the engine is made.
So a solution to that is turn up your player.

But i'm using it to my advantage of gaining better FE, but it has taken me some time to perfect it on the regular roads I drive.

What i do is, decrease the pressure on the accelerator pedal just a little bit till that grr sound stops and push it in again but lesser than before just before the sound comes back. ^^ I guess this is what the FIAT technician meant when you spoke to him.

That way the drive by wire sends in less fuel, the sound produced is less, and on a flat road the rpm rises slowly.. giving max FE.

But that does not stay for long.. My ear's just die to hear that 1.4 FIRE revv and speak out loud!!

I actually rotated the tyres at 8,000 kms.
I'm going on a rotation frequency of 2 times in 1 year/service interval.
Next rotation will be on the 15,000 kms servicing.

I did not include the spare tyre as I have alloys.

Will simply dispose off the spare rubber when it shows signs of change needed.. or may be in 3 yrs time.
Old 23rd March 2010, 15:27   #1563
BHPian

Quote:
That grrr noise has been there in all punto's from day 1. I guess that how the engine is made.
That is a bit reassuring.
Quote:
I actually rotated the tyres at 8,000 kms.
I'm going on a rotation frequency of 2 times in 1 year/service interval.
Next rotation will be on the 15,000 kms servicing.

I did not include the spare tyre as I have alloys.

Will simply dispose off the spare rubber when it shows signs of change needed.. or may be in 3 yrs time.
Any particular reason why the 8K mark? I am not sure what the manual says. Though i remember hearing on a radio show for rotation every 5K and air check every week.
Old 23rd March 2010, 15:32   #1564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldcrawler View Post
Thanks a lot Anshuman,ms001 and anachronix for sharing your experience and viewpoint.

But I am still confused about changing it. Anyway I guess it will all come down to funds which will decide whether to change it or not. As mentioned in other GP and Linea threads I would go for Primacy LC , that would be good right ?

Regarding the speakers what do you guys suggest ? My budget would be around 25K in total and in case if I decide to change the GT3s I guess I have to spend around 12K( with buy back of those GT3s ) for 5 MPLC so effectively for speakers I am left with 12-13K only . What do you guys suggest for this amount which will bring quite a bit of change in listening experience ?
Hi Worldcrawler, this is interesting, having decided to buy a Punto, I was wondering did you have a look at Polo and have a TD, are you still finalizing, what factor made you decide on Punto than a Polo or for that matter a Figo..
Old 23rd March 2010, 16:18   #1565
BHPian

my 2010 MJD E+ is showing no media when during the folder selecting process in media player potion. After that it gets stuck up in that folder itself. Friends please give your opinion
Old 23rd March 2010, 16:57   #1566
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Hi Worldcrawler, this is interesting, having decided to buy a Punto, I was wondering did you have a look at Polo and have a TD, are you still finalizing, what factor made you decide on Punto than a Polo or for that matter a Figo..
Yes , I did checked a Polo in a showroom and already shared my experience in the Polo test drive thread. To be honest, although the overall interior quality is bit better in Polo , I liked the dash board design of Punto. The steering of Polo was also pretty simple compared to the look and feel of Puntos steering. Above all the kit level which just eats Polo. You know , definition of premium is different to me compared to most of people ( may be ). I want premium features to be present in a premium car. To me the feel of solidity was better in Punto. Only thing which Punto is lacking probably the "VW" badge.

Moreover I can live with the interior of Punto pretty happily and nothing is there in Polo which really excites me. At the end of the day it's a personal choice and the last thing I would like to mention is that "I can live with a known demon but can't live with something which I don't even know to be a god" ( you guessed what I am saying )

I had driven Punto couple of times and everytime I sat behind the wheel it was able put on my face.

The last cat in my bag - " We own a Palio in my native place".

I have finalized on Punto and I don't see anything as of now which would change my decision but as I am busy in getting released from my current organization it would take a few more weeks to finally bring a Punto home and share my ownership experience.
Old 23rd March 2010, 18:37   #1567
Senior - BHPian

Waiting for the Punto Dualogic - we need more options other than the i10 automatic.
When is this going to be launched in India? Nothing is mentioned in the Fiat India web site.
Old 23rd March 2010, 18:51   #1568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
Waiting for the Punto Dualogic - we need more options other than the i10 automatic.
When is this going to be launched in India? Nothing is mentioned in the Fiat India web site.
I haven't heard anything about Punto dualogic ( yes, not even rumours ). Only thing which Fiat did in this years auto expo was to showcase a Linea Dualogic but never heard anything about it's launch schedule or whether they are going to launch it in India at all.
Old 23rd March 2010, 20:09   #1569
BHPian

I believe the Linea Dualogic is coming out in 2011. The Punto Sports diesel is expected later during the summer as is the Fiat Accessories store.
Old 24th March 2010, 16:45   #1570
Senior - BHPian

When I google for "punto dualogic", I see lot of links that are from other countries. Gives me a feeling that dualogic is already available for Punto in other countries.
Old 24th March 2010, 21:08   #1571
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
When I google for "punto dualogic", I see lot of links that are from other countries. Gives me a feeling that dualogic is already available for Punto in other countries.
You are right. It's present very much in international market even with 1.2 8v engines. But no news about it's availability in Indian context, not even rumours.
Old 24th March 2010, 21:16   #1572
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldcrawler View Post
Yes , I did checked a Polo in a showroom and already shared my experience in the Polo test drive thread. To be honest, although the overall interior quality is bit better in Polo , I liked the dash board design of Punto. The steering of Polo was also pretty simple compared to the look and feel of Puntos steering. Above all the kit level which just eats Polo. You know , definition of premium is different to me compared to most of people ( may be ). I want premium features to be present in a premium car. To me the feel of solidity was better in Punto. Only thing which Punto is lacking probably the "VW" badge.

Moreover I can live with the interior of Punto pretty happily and nothing is there in Polo which really excites me. At the end of the day it's a personal choice and the last thing I would like to mention is that "I can live with a known demon but can't live with something which I don't even know to be a god" ( you guessed what I am saying )

I had driven Punto couple of times and everytime I sat behind the wheel it was able put on my face.

The last cat in my bag - " We own a Palio in my native place".

I have finalized on Punto and I don't see anything as of now which would change my decision but as I am busy in getting released from my current organization it would take a few more weeks to finally bring a Punto home and share my ownership experience.
Thats good man you surely seem to love your car, even I agree Punto is no comparison to its contemporaries on the solid build front. I agree also in terms of interiors with the likes of Figo.

Great going.. Enjoy your car soon, of course post getting yourself released from current Organization
Old 25th March 2010, 14:44   #1573

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
We were scouting around for a car for my friend. After a number of test drives with other dealers we finally convinced our "practical mind" to visit the TATA-FIAT dealer out here and test drive the Punto 1.4. The car would be driven only around 500km a month so we never thought there was a need for a MJD.
Trivandrum...FIAT showroom....definitely Kulathunkal Motors. they are out to do single handedly what TVS did country wide - destroy FIAT image!!!
Old 25th March 2010, 17:07   #1574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by helboy View Post
they are out to do single handedly what TVS did country wide - destroy FIAT image!!!
If you don't mind, can you tell what exactly TVS had done? I wanted to know this from long..
Old 25th March 2010, 19:01   #1575

I have a Punto MJD E+. I just finished a trip to my native place (around 800 KMs to and fro). The odo now reads 4K KMs. The car handling was great.
The only problem I am facing is that of a noise level. I am not sure why but at around 120 KM/H the engine noise becomes very high and the car struggles to go past 120. Earlier it used to easily go past 120 and the noise levels were very low. Now my wife can easily tell if the car has reached 120 without looking at the odo.
What could be the problem. I hope its not serious one.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks