Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2010, 12:52   #1681
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
I visited Concorde here in Bangalore. IIRC there was engine heat shield!
Owners Kindly confirm!
the MJD does have it !! But please note that Sivasankar test drove the 1.4 FIRE and not the 1.3 MJD

As stated by others : the quality of plastics is not an issue. After 10 months of ownership not a single plastic part has fallen off from my Punto.
Old 15th April 2010, 13:02   #1682
BHPian

Well just to add to the heat shield discussion, my 1.4 Emo Pk did not have it when i bought it. i requested the dealership to get it for me, and in less that 2 days i got it fixed to myu car at a cost of Rs. 275

So if you really want it, you can get it. the only difference i noticed is a perceptible decrease in the sound of the engine.

ive completed 8000kms in my punto, and ive had a trouble with the clutch plate which was replaced under warranty. that apart, ive been more than overjoyed and i get about 10 kpl with AC in the city and upto 14 kpl on the highways with AC. what you never tire of are the looks. it truly is very pretty!
Old 15th April 2010, 13:06   #1683
Senior - BHPian

sharan , what was the problem with the clutch , was it slipping ?
Old 15th April 2010, 13:24   #1684
Senior - BHPian

MCR, thanks for confirmation. I also had mentioned this to Polo SP saying Punto offers heat guard but its missing your "GERMAN" engineered car. he advised, yes sir it will be in next set of cars. So a person who was inspecting car asks SP " So will i get this for my car since i will be getting Polo from current set"

Quote:
I have driven twice on Shiradi ghat
That says it all. Shirad ghat was one of the pathetic roads around here. has become better now a days though
Old 15th April 2010, 14:32   #1685
BHPian

Guys, what about Punto Sportz ? I've heard that it will be out in June-July. Can anyone please confirm this ? As per reports from auto expo it was supposed to be out by the first quarter of this year.
Old 15th April 2010, 14:44   #1686
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
I have driven twice on Shiradi ghat and also on bad patches and fortunately my car has only one rattle on the LHS side of the dash board, but its not a major one and cannot be heard when the music is on. Hopefully it stays this way.
When I compare this to my erstwhile Santro, which developed rattles the first time I hit Shiradi ghat, I am very happy.
I have the very same problem its like a squeaking sound from the left side of the dash and my cars done just 1450km. Any idea as to what might the reason.
Old 15th April 2010, 16:52   #1687
BHPian

Between the GP 1.4 and 1.3 MJD (E+), which makes for a better drive (for a rookie driver) - within the city and on the highways? Also, is the petrol easier to maintain than the diesel (increased costs are to be expected but I am talking about reliability / diesel-specific niggles)?

I am not sure if I'll do anything over 1K kms a month (and likely less than 250 kms in the city) and hence the diesel certainly isn't warranted. However, if the driving experience is going to be a lot more engaging with the diesel, I guess I can look at it.

I'd be grateful if any owners can chip in with their thoughts.

Last edited by spindoc : 15th April 2010 at 16:54.
Old 15th April 2010, 17:20   #1688
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindoc View Post
Between the GP 1.4 and 1.3 MJD (E+), which makes for a better drive (for a rookie driver) - within the city and on the highways? Also, is the petrol easier to maintain than the diesel (increased costs are to be expected but I am talking about reliability / diesel-specific niggles)?

I am not sure if I'll do anything over 1K kms a month (and likely less than 250 kms in the city) and hence the diesel certainly isn't warranted. However, if the driving experience is going to be a lot more engaging with the diesel, I guess I can look at it.

I'd be grateful if any owners can chip in with their thoughts.
If you like the vrooom of the engine you will like GP 1.4. If you like the torque then you will love the MJD especially with the turbo kicking in at higher RPMs. Since the cost difference between petrol an diesel for same version is approx 60K I guess you can go for Diesel.
And please get the notion of X number of kms to be covered per month out of your mind. Just enjoy the car.

Last edited by download2live : 15th April 2010 at 17:21. Reason: typo
Old 15th April 2010, 17:25   #1689
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound_Affects View Post
I have the very same problem its like a squeaking sound from the left side of the dash and my cars done just 1450km. Any idea as to what might the reason.
Absolutely no idea sir. I tried investigating but found nothing loose. May be an electric connector behind the dash. But I am not the one to get purturbed by it. I will get it rectified in my second service which is in November 2010. Till then, it will be 'increase the volume of the music, if the sound is irritating' mode.
Old 15th April 2010, 17:49   #1690
BHPian

spindoc,

I own a MJD so have no experience with the petrol car. As far as matainenance is concerned, I would say the cost so far is low when compared to what I had expected. I paid Rs.2300 for my 2nd service, which I would say is very low as the car goes in for service only once in a year/ every 15,000km.

You may have read umpteen times that the linear power delivery of the diesel might not be fun for a spitited driver, but if you are a sedate driver you will be able to enjoy the linear power delivery which is quite fun too. There is a turbo lag in the second gear which might be a hinderant but that wouldn't bother you in the highways. Get the opinion from petrol owners and decide accordingly.

Wish you all the best for your new car!
Old 15th April 2010, 20:26   #1691
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
Absolutely no idea sir. I tried investigating but found nothing loose. May be an electric connector behind the dash. But I am not the one to get purturbed by it. I will get it rectified in my second service which is in November 2010. Till then, it will be 'increase the volume of the music, if the sound is irritating' mode.
thank you for confirming. it'll be really nice of you to share post service whether or not its rectified.
Old 15th April 2010, 20:36   #1692
BHPian

guys, sharan's post has set me thinking, why do we have to pay Rs. 275 more to have a heat shield installed in a top of the line 1.4 E+ Punto when the MJD comes with one?

Can Punto owners in Chennai suggest the best one of all the Fiat dealers in Chennai?

And on the FE front, does the car deliver over 12 kmpl as some owners have mentioned?

Last edited by Sivasankar : 15th April 2010 at 20:38.
Old 15th April 2010, 23:09   #1693
BHPian

If I understand it correctly, is this heat shield a sound-deadener? I mean some padding that goes under the bonnet?
I will get it done for my Linea too, seems pretty cheap at 250 bucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharanramesh View Post
Well just to add to the heat shield discussion, my 1.4 Emo Pk did not have it when i bought it. i requested the dealership to get it for me, and in less that 2 days i got it fixed to myu car at a cost of Rs. 275

So if you really want it, you can get it. the only difference i noticed is a perceptible decrease in the sound of the engine.
Old 15th April 2010, 23:27   #1694
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
spindoc,

I own a MJD so have no experience with the petrol car. As far as matainenance is concerned, I would say the cost so far is low when compared to what I had expected. I paid Rs.2300 for my 2nd service, which I would say is very low as the car goes in for service only once in a year/ every 15,000km.
!
Cliffhanger : something is wrong here. Can you provide the breakup of the service cost ? 2300 seems too low to me.

For the second service : The oil alone costs around Rs.2000 (3.2 litres fully synthetic)
+ add to it you have to replace the following components
- Oil filter
- Fuel filter
- ACC Pollen filter
- Air Filter

No way all of this + the synthetic oil is going to add up to Rs.2300. It is going to be much more than that (something in the range of 3.5k - 4k)
Old 16th April 2010, 00:14   #1695
BHPian

friends, my father is considering to buy Punto 1.2 in the medium grey color. But the dealer is de-selling the idea of medium grey, saying it is a dark color, difficult to maintain, and will absorb heat and AC will not cool it efficiently. Is the dealer right or does he have his own interests to look after? Are there any issues with AC esp. in the 1.2L variant? kindly suggest!

Last edited by Minardi : 16th April 2010 at 00:30.

Most Viewed