Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2010, 00:46   #1696
BHPian

hi friends, can anybody guess what would be the price hike in the soon to be launched diesel sports VGT punto over the MJD E+. @ sidindica, any concrete info on launch dates & price?
Also is it expected to have better quality plastics & overall better build than the current avtaar? Thanks in advance guys.
Old 16th April 2010, 04:43   #1697
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minardi View Post
friends, my father is considering to buy Punto 1.2 in the medium grey color. But the dealer is de-selling the idea of medium grey, saying it is a dark color, difficult to maintain, and will absorb heat and AC will not cool it efficiently. Is the dealer right or does he have his own interests to look after? Are there any issues with AC esp. in the 1.2L variant? kindly suggest!
The Punto's AC is fantastic (even in the 1.2 litre version) , do not worry about it at all. Although the dealer is right to a certain extent, but that is true of all cars. Darker colours do absorb more heat.
If the dealer is not hardselling a different colour, it might be alright. However, you should always go for the colour you like. Go for the medium grey if that's what you and your father like.
Old 16th April 2010, 06:30   #1698
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minardi View Post
But the dealer is de-selling the idea of medium grey, saying it is a dark color, difficult to maintain, and will absorb heat and AC will not cool it efficiently.
I bought the hip-hop black MJD E+ and I was given similar concerns from the dealer in comparision to other colors.
a) absorbs more heat
Aarenes> The ACC is strong enough. This ought to marginal effect.
b) will look more dirtier
Aarenes> Yeah sure. We do get our cars washed dont we even if its white in color.
c) visibility at night is limited
Aarenes> Dont buy this. Streets have lights, cars have lights.
e) difficult to maintain as scratches and swirl marks are more visible.
Aarenes> There is truth to this but you can go the extra mile to maintain this and it wont bother you.

The dealer did not have vested interest in selling other colors but in India typically mentality is to go with white, silver type colors. I stuck to what I's like to have and decided to go the extra mile for maintainence.

I get a regular wash every alternate day (save water friends), get a decent wash at the petrol pump every month. I have a covered parking at both office and home so I am not too concerned about the heat part.
Old 16th April 2010, 14:08   #1699
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarenes View Post
I bought the hip-hop black MJD E+ and I was given similar concerns from the dealer in comparision to other colors.
a) absorbs more heat
Aarenes> The ACC is strong enough. This ought to marginal effect.
b) will look more dirtier
Aarenes> Yeah sure. We do get our cars washed dont we even if its white in color.
c) visibility at night is limited
Aarenes> Dont buy this. Streets have lights, cars have lights.
e) difficult to maintain as scratches and swirl marks are more visible.
Aarenes> There is truth to this but you can go the extra mile to maintain this and it wont bother you.

The dealer did not have vested interest in selling other colors but in India typically mentality is to go with white, silver type colors. I stuck to what I's like to have and decided to go the extra mile for maintainence.

I get a regular wash every alternate day (save water friends), get a decent wash at the petrol pump every month. I have a covered parking at both office and home so I am not too concerned about the heat part.
I have a hip-hop black MJD E Pk and drivern 13500.

My only concern while buying was the scratch and swirl marks.

Yes, ofcourse it shows swirl marks more than the other colors but if you do maintain it well then you can save from swirl marks.

Train your car washing boy with the below

1) use running water to clean up first - helps to remove the dirt out first.
2) use microfiber tower or whichever you bought for washing the car, not the one he uses.
3) Ask him to wash the towel before cleaning the car - helps to clear the dusts in the towel before cleaning.
4) Do not use the same towel for tyre and wheels. Not at all, this has to b done with a seperate brush or towel.
5) Use chamois to wipe and dry.
6) And make sure he follows all these whenever he is washing.

I did tell the boy how to do but he was using the same cloth for cleaning the tyre and wheels too which ended up de towel catching dust from tyre and the swirl marks on my car.

Does 3M detailing helps to clean out the swirl marks? or any products or anything that would help? Please advice

here is my black beauty
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-p1200300.jpg  

Last edited by ~~VinZ~~ : 16th April 2010 at 14:11.
Old 16th April 2010, 14:14   #1700
BHPian

Thanks Amartya, Aarenes, and Vinz! Really helpful feedback!

@VinZ, Punto in black really looks awesome! perhaps better than any other car in black!!
Old 17th April 2010, 20:56   #1701
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
Absolutely no idea sir. I tried investigating but found nothing loose. May be an electric connector behind the dash. But I am not the one to get purturbed by it. I will get it rectified in my second service which is in November 2010. Till then, it will be 'increase the volume of the music, if the sound is irritating' mode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound_Affects View Post
thank you for confirming. it'll be really nice of you to share post service whether or not its rectified.
+1 i have the same problem, sound from the left side of the dash,near the music system.
I took it to TASS and they took out the music system and fitted it again,the sound has reduced to a extent but its not gone completely . Having said that, it is very minor sound and i don't hear it even at low music volume, but my family though cant hear it even when i mute the music! maybe its a case of me getting paranoid with the sound?

Last edited by amulu10 : 17th April 2010 at 21:14.
Old 17th April 2010, 20:58   #1702
BHPian

^ Its just a case of how Fiaters are in love with their car! They hear every whisper and every groan
Old 18th April 2010, 02:12   #1703
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsNBolts View Post
^ Its just a case of how Fiaters are in love with their car! They hear every whisper and every groan
It may sound funny, but I think you are right.
Old 18th April 2010, 07:24   #1704
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
It may sound funny, but I think you are right.
Naah, nothing funny in this, after all Punto does this to any owner,
hazard of being a Punter
Old 18th April 2010, 09:35   #1705
Senior - BHPian

Handling - goes a long way

Yesterday I was driving alone from Cochin to Kollam in my Punto MJD and guess what, no vehicle overtook me during the entire drive. I was not racing with anyone, was just trying to maintain a good average speed. I made it a point to slow down and let go anyone who starts a race - luckily no one did that.

I could easily pass spirited drivers in Ford Ikon TCDi, Fiesta TCDi, Getz Crdi, Few VDis, and at the end, even a Nissan Xtrail.

The point is, Punto MJD engine with this small turbo is all you need for a good drive through Kerala roads - given Punto's excellent handling and high speed stability. I am sure won't be feeling confident enough to do this in a powerful car with inferior handling.

My highway FE for that trip is 15 Kmpl as indicated by the trip meter.

Last edited by clevermax : 18th April 2010 at 09:38.
Old 18th April 2010, 09:52   #1706
BHPian

I went on a trip to kerala on my father's MJD, The car was great. When we were 1st travelling to kerala we thought the AC was broken, because the air that came out of the vents was hot and humit for a while and then cool. We realised that the Ac was on Fresh Air mode and once we switched to Recycled Air things were good. The only point i felt that Punto was lacking was that when we are driving on 5th gear and the RPM meter shows 1.5k rpm.. the pick up is kinda of lacking.. this is great in the Bangalroe city but bad on the highway. You end up dowshifting to the 4th gear and then overtaking.
Old 18th April 2010, 10:19   #1707
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinblades View Post
... The only point i felt that Punto was lacking was that when we are driving on 5th gear and the RPM meter shows 1.5k rpm.. the pick up is kinda of lacking.. this is great in the Bangalroe city but bad on the highway. You end up dowshifting to the 4th gear and then overtaking.
I felt the opposite - just back from a Kodungallur (Thrissur) - Bangalore round trip, and the car performed just excellent on the highway. She returned me about 17.5kmpl each way, with an average speed around 75kmph. Maintained about 120~130 most of the time all the way from Perundurai to Bommanahalli.

I had to downshift only when my speed went below 60kmph. Once the car was into form, she kept picking up from what ever rpm it went down to. Barring some service issues, Punto just roxx
Old 18th April 2010, 10:50   #1708
BHPian

That was the speed that i usually had an issue with. Maybe it was the habit of only doing low speeds in Bangalore that led me to think it was lacking power in that Rev range. There was a Hilly section in kerala with low Traffic that I enjoyed alot nearly Koincherry(not sure on the spelling).
PS. i find, out of the 3 states(Tamil-Nadu ,Karnataka and Kerala) Tamil-Nadu roads were the best.
Old 18th April 2010, 12:34   #1709
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I could easily pass spirited drivers in Ford Ikon TCDi, Fiesta TCDi, Getz Crdi, Few VDis, and at the end, even a Nissan Xtrail.
So you must have been atleast 50% more than the legal speed limit most of the way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinblades View Post
The only point i felt that Punto was lacking was that when we are driving on 5th gear and the RPM meter shows 1.5k rpm.. the pick up is kinda of lacking.. You end up dowshifting to the 4th gear and then overtaking.
Please be fair! The turbo kicks in nearer to 2000RPM and so should not expect rapid pickup from that speed and RPM in fifth gear. 1500RPM in fifth would be about 60 to 65 kph, a downshift to 4th would immediately bring it to the proper power band of close to 2000RPM.
Old 18th April 2010, 13:37   #1710
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,
So you must have been atleast 50% more than the legal speed limit most of the way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Please be fair! The turbo kicks in nearer to 2000RPM and so should not expect rapid pickup from that speed and RPM in fifth gear. 1500RPM in fifth would be about 60 to 65 kph, a downshift to 4th would immediately bring it to the proper power band of close to 2000RPM.
Yes, Punto in 5th gear running at 1500 rpm or less takes some time to pick speed. You have to downshift to 4th to get that turbo kick!

If you are doing spirited driving, the fun rpm range for Punto MJD lies between 1900-3000 rpm. Anything less or more is not of much use. Obviously, you have to work with the gears a great extent while driving through crowded Kerala roads. The engine just refuses to deliver power after about 3400 rpm.

On the other hand, I can rev my Palio (petrol) to the limits and still get good power delivery. Rev her up to 7000 rpm and she won't cry for mercy!

Dr, I drove through Aleppey yesterday and I had your mobile number, just missed to call you to check whether it was possible to meet you... :(

Last edited by clevermax : 18th April 2010 at 13:45.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks