Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2010, 23:26   #1831
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by better4worse View Post
Thanks for the info there, so basically what you are saying is that i can never get the Swift type engine response on my punto. Thanks for bursting my bubble... !

Any particular reason for different gearing for Indian Punto? Considering its common knowledge that the short first two gears won't be such a big hit in India !

- B4W
While the Swift will impress you instantly with sudden bursts of acceleration, the Punto on the other side can do 5kph in first gear without clutch(an issue with Swift owner fellow BHPian phamilyman). Punto is lot more comfortable in start stop traffic and the highway performance is as good as the Swift(Please read it as acceleration in fifth gear).

The golden rule that works with most diesels is to upshift early, revving a diesel to nuts is not as rewarding as a petrol. When most performance can be had at upshifting at 2500rpm why bother to retain a gear till 4000rpm, the added bonus is FE.

I have driven Swift DDiS for 28,000kms and a Punto for 20,000kms.

Last edited by .anshuman : 25th April 2010 at 23:28.
Old 25th April 2010, 23:45   #1832
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
While the Swift will impress you instantly with sudden bursts of acceleration, the Punto on the other side can do 5kph in first gear without clutch(an issue with Swift owner fellow BHPian phamilyman). Punto is lot more comfortable in start stop traffic and the highway performance is as good as the Swift(Please read it as acceleration in fifth gear).
Sorry 5 kmph without clutch...didnt quite get the gist there.
The above just reminded me of my first brush with Swift DDIS 'torque' effect (thanks to a fellow bhpian), we were in the office underground parking at 2 level below, he placed the car in 1st or 2nd gear ( and just didnt press the accelerator thereafter, the car went up the ramp twice and got to floor zero with absolutely no jarring.

Quote:
The golden rule that works with most diesels is to upshift early, revving a diesel to nuts is not as rewarding as a petrol. When most performance can be had at upshifting at 2500rpm why bother to retain a gear till 4000rpm, the added bonus is FE.
I am looking forward to the unlearning and learning driving all over again esp when it comes to Diesel. While I have driven the 'wild' CRDI Scorpio (scares the crap out of me!) for 5K kms odd, but not a small hatch.

Quote:
I have driven Swift DDiS for 28,000kms and a Punto for 20,000kms.
While I was doing my comparo, I was considering the new BS4 Swift Diesel vis-a-vis the Punto 1.3 MJD. Is the ride quality/comfort comparable considering punto is a lot more low slung compared to Swift ? Has the ride improved from BS3 Swift to BS4 one ?

- B4W
Old 25th April 2010, 23:58   #1833
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by better4worse View Post
Sorry 5 kmph without clutch...didnt quite get the gist there.
The above just reminded me of my first brush with Swift DDIS 'torque' effect (thanks to a fellow bhpian), we were in the office underground parking at 2 level below, he placed the car in 1st or 2nd gear ( and just didnt press the accelerator thereafter, the car went up the ramp twice and got to floor zero with absolutely no jarring.
Punto can climb most inclines in 2nd gear with no clutch, i have tried the Ambience mall climb with no accelerator and clutch.

The thing is Punto is a lot more comfortable in traffic with the linear power delivery.
Quote:
I am looking forward to the unlearning and learning driving all over again esp when it comes to Diesel. While I have driven the 'wild' CRDI Scorpio (scares the crap out of me!) for 5K kms odd, but not a small hatch.
I drive a VLX, this SUV surely is peppy thanks to short gearing but never fast enough to be scary.

Quote:
While I was doing my comparo, I was considering the new BS4 Swift Diesel vis-a-vis the Punto 1.3 MJD. Is the ride quality/comfort comparable considering punto is a lot more low slung compared to Swift ? Has the ride improved from BS3 Swift to BS4 one ?
Punto's ride is leagues ahead of the Swift, if only deep bump absorption is considered it shames much more expensive cars like Civic and Altis.

Last edited by .anshuman : 25th April 2010 at 23:59.
Old 26th April 2010, 02:23   #1834
Senior - BHPian

If Fiat is able to launch the Punto Sport at a price equal to the i20 CRDi (Asta), with rear disc brakes, hotter alloys and good quality interiors (say Linea spec.), it should sell in good numbers.

While it will be an enthusiast's car, if Fiat can train it's sales executives to drive home the point (comparison to i20), it should work out well for them.
Also, for not so much higher production costs, they can have eye-candy material for the showrooms (the Punto Sport). I have seen that the showroom cars have a definite effect on the buyer's psyche.
Old 26th April 2010, 11:29   #1835
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Think about Punto Sports + Pete's!

102 bhp + 220 Nm!
OH My GOD!. Sky is the limit. Even if FIAT introduce a Punto with 120 BHP 1.6 MJD there is an option to add another 14 odd bhp to it with Pete's.

Cheers!
Old 26th April 2010, 11:30   #1836
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
If Fiat is able to launch the Punto Sport at a price equal to the i20 CRDi (Asta), with rear disc brakes, hotter alloys and good quality interiors (say Linea spec.), it should sell in good numbers.

While it will be an enthusiast's car, if Fiat can train it's sales executives to drive home the point (comparison to i20), it should work out well for them.
Also, for not so much higher production costs, they can have eye-candy material for the showrooms (the Punto Sport). I have seen that the showroom cars have a definite effect on the buyer's psyche.
The movement a person decides to invest around 8L on a hatch back, his expectations will increase. 8L is semi-luxury territory.

Right now, people who want a good engine, ride and handling, built quality, exterior looks are being attracted to Punto. That means mainly enthusiasts. This is one of the reasons for low numbers (compared to its potential).

An average customer who is spending 8L on a Hutch, should feel the premium inside the car also. After all, we spend most of the time inside the car in city traffic. Dark interiors, cheap quality plastics, poor fit and finish, does not help the cause. Fiat should look at this seriously. Benchmark can-not be a TATA vehicle. It should atleast be a Hyundai (i20). Then, this car can really sell.

Clutch plate problems, rusting problems, plastic livers breaking, etc., that too, only after 6 months of launch is not acceptable at this price band. Beta testing can not be done on customers. If only one catagory of people are interested to buy this car, it will not sell in huge numbers. Then, it is a waste to have such a product.

I for one, would have loved to have this car. But my family did not like the interiors. So I have booked a Polo - Diesel - Highline. Delivery is in June. Keeping my fingers crossed and waiting for the sports version of Punto to be launched in may. But, if the interior is the same, my family will not agree....
Old 26th April 2010, 12:11   #1837
Team-BHP Support

From where did "Punto Sports" come into the picture suddenly? Other than sunroof, linea diesel engine and leather seats (original leather? or one of those cheap PVC leather look-alike ones?), what else do I get?

Is the launch confirmed next month?
Old 26th April 2010, 12:20   #1838
Senior - BHPian

I believe 16" alloys are also on the sports.
Old 26th April 2010, 12:55   #1839
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Dark interiors, cheap quality plastics, poor fit and finish, does not help the cause.
IMO, Punto takes the cake for the worst interiors in a premium hatchback. Even the swift with all its rattles didnt have any parts plastics falling off, door levers breaking, mirror glass falling down and such issues. Funniest thing is- when we went to check out GP, family members were more impressed with the interiors of the Vista from the same showroom!

Sad story is that its just not limited to plastics only, with door latches breaking, rusting and such issues reported for such a new car (2010 so called 'improved' versions as well! This is just poor QC from FIAT!

A pity since it IS without doubt, one of the most beautiful cars in Indian market! If FIAT is planning to bring Punto sports at prices above 7L (Current em pk costs 6.5L), they better work on their quality as well!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 26th April 2010 at 12:59.
Old 26th April 2010, 16:56   #1840
Team-BHP Support

Talked to my dealer today -

- Punto Grande will be launched only next calender year.
- Linea's alloys cannot to be fitted to Punto

Caveat -> My salesman has poor general knowledge about cars
Old 26th April 2010, 17:03   #1841
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post

Ask your slaesman to go for Great Indian Laughter Challenge auditions, he might be lucky there, I am pretty he is not very lucky in selling cars
Old 26th April 2010, 17:32   #1842
BHPian

Smartcat ask furioussphinx and show these snaps to the Salesman may be he will give you correct information then.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1711280
Old 26th April 2010, 21:20   #1843
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post

Even without the caveat we would have deduced the same . Show him the pictures that Arishi pointed out, he'll change his tune.
Old 27th April 2010, 00:49   #1844
BHPian

..got Punto-ed !

Guys, I managed to pick up my Punto 1.3 MJD Active from the dealership today evening. Absolutely kicked about it ....ride back home was 35 kms of pure unadulterated excitement!

- B4W
Old 27th April 2010, 08:28   #1845
BHPian

Whoa, another Punto! Congrats B4W. Let's see your ownership thread.

Most Viewed