Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2010, 19:24   #2326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-X5 View Post
My daily commute is 8 + 8 kmts to Office to and from. 4-4.5 Kmts bumper to Bumper and a couple of Kmts empty strech.
That's a good mileage for such usage. Punto / Linea MID figures are quite accurate. But please update with actual figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-X5 View Post
Over all I'm happy nothing has fallen off so far , praying for the same
You are praying for something to fall off?
Old 3rd July 2010, 22:02   #2327
BHPian

Just did a close inspection of a 5-6 month old Nano parked in the basement today, the long black plastic under the wiper seems to be of a better quality when compared to the one in my Punto. Even though it had the 'cheap plastic' feel to it..it has stayed black in colour and stuck to the windscreen unlike the one on my Punto which has near white patches on it and is coming off in places. Now this hurts ! INR 1 Lac + Nano Vs 5 Lac+ Punto...infact none of the newer TATA cars seem to have this problem.

I genuinely feel that FIAT should seriously own up on the substandard plastic parts bit, introduce new good ones and replace them on all Punto's plying on the road ...free of cost ! I know it sounds like just another rant turning into wishful thinking on the subject of ' Plastics Quality in Puntos' , but bluddy hell its just 2-5 grand (max 10 K) worth of plastic parts on an other wise great product which happen to be ruining not only the overall consumer experience but also the brand perception and seriously......... FIAT QC Dept should be fired !!

- B4W
Old 3rd July 2010, 22:08   #2328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by better4worse View Post
I genuinely feel that FIAT should seriously own up on the substandard plastic parts bit, introduce new good ones and replace them on all Punto's plying on the road ...free of cost ! I know it sounds like just another rant turning into wishful thinking on the subject of ' Plastics Quality in Puntos' , but bluddy hell its just 2-5 grand (max 10 K) worth of plastic parts on an other wise great product which happen to be ruining not only the overall consumer experience but also the brand perception and seriously......... FIAT QC Dept should be fired !!

- B4W
I will agree with that. However, if the patches are visible, raise the issue at the service station. Also drop Fiat an e-mail if the service station doesn't take care of this. By and large, Fiat has been very responsive to consumer demands with these two cars (Linea and Punto). Bnzjon's Linea's headlamp is due to be changed because it got blackened by the heat generated by the bulb, something that is not expressly stated in the warranty.
Old 3rd July 2010, 22:25   #2329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by better4worse View Post
- B4W
It may be irrelevant here, but as a customer, I liked the Punto (white) the most. In my apartments garage there are 2 white Puntos parked beside each other and I can`t stop myself from staring at them each and every day.

Am more or less a newbie in driving and was planning to buy Punto as I liked the car most, but going through different threads of Team-BHP there are couple of things which stopped me and this is one of them as mentioned by you.

Hope FIAT looks into this and may be they show more commitment in starting their own dealership rather than having a tie-up which doesn`t show a great deal of commitment to the customers, IMO (even Renault parted ways with Mahindra and at least planning to go by their own), FIAT is in/out of India for a longer time than many other MNCs today.
Old 3rd July 2010, 23:07   #2330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvonA7 View Post
Hope FIAT looks into this and may be they show more commitment in starting their own dealership rather than having a tie-up which doesn`t show a great deal of commitment to the customers, IMO (even Renault parted ways with Mahindra and at least planning to go by their own), FIAT is in/out of India for a longer time than many other MNCs today.
Well, as much as we'd like to see Fiat setting up it's own dealerships, it's not going to happen anytime soon. Here's why:

a. Doesn't make economical sense to start a Fiat dealership: Any dealership requires a huge influx of capital to start operations. With the numbers that Fiat is doing currently, no one (sane) would invest that much money.

b. The Tata tie-up is a very smart move, while many argue that Tata dealerships result in the loss of sales, due to poaching customers between brands (say from Linea to Manza), I would argue otherwise. In my opinion, a person looking to buy a Linea or a Punto, is a reasonably informed customer. That customer is not going to be swayed by the Manza/Vista. That same customer, will actually feel safer that Tata is providing service due to the sheer number of Tata dealerships. It gives the customer comfort in the fact that although the service experience might not be stellar, it'll always be there.

c. The Linea and Punto are the best looking cars in their segment. There are a lot of people walking into a Tata dealership, from the Nano to the Safari (soon the Aria) and all of them will see the Fiats there. I am sure, some of them will talk about how nice they look. While not a very tangible thing in the short term, in the longer term, a buzz (however small) around a product is good.

If you like the Punto, the problems you have cited (the plastic quality at least, not sure about what else is a major irritant) are not show-stoppers. B4W is upset with the plastic quality, mainly because the rest of the car is great. Wouldn't you like to crib about plastic quality instead of wayward handling and poor ride?
Old 3rd July 2010, 23:52   #2331
Senior - BHPian

Saw Linea and Punto displayed for publicity in Forum Mall, Whitefield. Thats good.

Whats Bad then?
1. Punto emotion model kept. Every company keeps the highest available model. Where was emotion Pack?

2. No one was around to attend to curious people who went to have a look. I mean NO ONE.

3. The doors were locked!!! I wanted to go in an check out the interiors of new Punto. No one to help me out!!! How can people go in an check out the car from inside out?

4. The triangular rubber just next to the front passenger side OVRM was missing. Is this the way you plan to entice new customers? By showing them middle of the range, in shambles model???

FIAT....whats going on? Not serious about India???

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff :
Abusive language – whether used directly or indirectly - is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP.
A decent communication protocol must be adhered to.
Foul language and use of abusive words/photographs in posts/avatars/signatures/topics is STRICTLY prohibited.

Last edited by bblost : 5th July 2010 at 20:18. Reason: Check your post. Thanks.
Old 3rd July 2010, 23:55   #2332
BHPian

piano black

meanwhile found this pic on the net?
any one giving a piano black finish on the central console a try?
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-fiat_punto_creative_3.jpg  

Old 4th July 2010, 00:32   #2333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
Well, as much as we'd like to see Fiat setting up it's own dealerships, it's not going to happen anytime soon. Here's why:

a. Doesn't make economical sense to start a Fiat dealership: Any dealership requires a huge influx of capital to start operations. With the numbers that Fiat is doing currently, no one (sane) would invest that much money.

Fiat is an internationally renowned organization. The numbers what Fiat India is doing currently would have increased substantially provided they showed more commitment. This question is like egg first or chicken first! I believe Fiat`s sale would have increased with their own dealership and stick to my POV as technically they are providing superior cars as agreed with you. Eg. Ford, 267% jump in sales in June`10, 3X jump in car sales in apr-june`10, source :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...s-figures.html

c. The Linea and Punto are the best looking cars in their segment. There are a lot of people walking into a Tata dealership, from the Nano to the Safari (soon the Aria) and all of them will see the Fiats there. I am sure, some of them will talk about how nice they look. While not a very tangible thing in the short term, in the longer term, a buzz (however small) around a product is good.

If you like the Punto, the problems you have cited (the plastic quality at least, not sure about what else is a major irritant) are not show-stoppers. B4W is upset with the plastic quality, mainly because the rest of the car is great. Wouldn't you like to crib about plastic quality instead of wayward handling and poor ride?
I am not cribbing, but mentioned it as a criteria in my decision making which may differ with others. A car buying generally is an overall package, looks, FE, A***, snob factor, colors, resale value, interior comfort, leg space, boot space, 0-100 time etc etc varying from individual to individual, ride and handling is an important factor but not the only one.

B4W is upset with the plastic quality and to me I found it not so great in a car as good as Punto - technically! to be compared with Nano.
As mentioned by others and you that Fiat`s diesel engines are used by other manufacturers, so they are definitely good but would have been definitely better with more commitment towards India
Old 4th July 2010, 00:44   #2334
BHPian

well avon there is nothing wrong with tie ups especially ineconomic conditions like these.even mitsubishi is in tie up with hm. fiat is quite commited to india they never left india even when their sales were pathetic not some one pueogot.they have revamped the management and are trying very hard its just their previous reputation.the coming of new punto 90 bhp is also a indication of fiat's commitment to india and trying to gain more market share
Old 4th July 2010, 06:34   #2335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also drop Fiat an e-mail if the service station doesn't take care of this. By and large, Fiat has been very responsive to consumer demands with these two cars (Linea and Punto). Bnzjon's Linea's headlamp is due to be changed because it got blackened by the heat generated by the bulb, something that is not expressly stated in the warranty.
Thats reassuring - Any specific email ids ?

Quote:
That customer is not going to be swayed by the Manza/Vista.
Infact, I swayed my dad from the Manza to the Punto EP MJD for reasons such as build quality as well as fit and finish!

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Whats Bad then?
1. Punto emotion model kept. What the ****? Every company keeps the highest available model. Where was emotion Pack?
Not necessarily Sir!

Quote:
2. No one was around to attend to curious people who went to have a look.
It would just be a display piece and one is supposed to go to the dealerships for further details

Quote:
3. The doors were locked!!! I wanted to go in an check out the interiors of new Punto. No one to help me out!!! How can people go in an check out the car from inside out?
Same as above

Quote:
4. The triangular rubber just next to the front passenger side OVRM was missing. Is this the way you plan to entice new customers? By showing them middle of the range, in shambles model???
Maybe a mischevious kid pulled it out or something!

Quote:
FIAT....whats going on? Not serious about India???
If they are not serious, would you see the PUNTO and LINEA and talk about the FIAT 500 etc.

Would they supply engines in India to most of the guys running the 1.3 MJD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvonA7 View Post
I am not cribbing, ...

As mentioned by others and you that Fiat`s diesel engines are used by other manufacturers, so they are definitely good but would have been definitely better with more commitment towards India
Sir, Firstly, If you type in Bold - then you are cribbin

Secondly how do you define more commitment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupinder View Post
well avon there is nothing wrong with tie ups especially ineconomic conditions like these.even mitsubishi is in tie up with hm. fiat is quite commited to india they never left india even when their sales were pathetic not some one pueogot.they have revamped the management and are trying very hard its just their previous reputation.the coming of new punto 90 bhp is also a indication of fiat's commitment to india and trying to gain more market share
+1
Old 4th July 2010, 08:09   #2336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Thats reassuring - Any specific email ids ?
Definitely, here you go:

a. service@fiapl.com - The default e-mail address. Also, they always respond, have written in three queries to them, always got a reply within 1 working day.

b. For people in Pune: mangesh.kodalkar@fiapl.com
, however you can also drop in a mail saying you want the contact of a person who can help.

c. A note at the CEO corner - Had written in with a couple of suggestions, got a reply for one of them within an hour. Go to this page:
Fiat India

Quote:
Infact, I swayed my dad from the Manza to the Punto EP MJD for reasons such as build quality as well as fit and finish!
Yes, and I think that is a very good recommendation. I like the Manza too, but the EP Punto MJD is a much better automobile.

Quote:
It would just be a display piece and one is supposed to go to the dealerships for further details
Sometimes, display cars are just put their to attract the customers, without keeping too many staff on hand. In that case, usually, the cars are kept locked. I am not trying to give an excuse, I'd like to see more people there, but this is very dealer specific, as to how many people they can spare for public displays on a particular day.

Quote:
Maybe a mischevious kid pulled it out or something!
This is something that I'd not like to see, mainly because missing parts on a display car are unsightly. Hopefully they fixed it if they continued with the display.

Quote:
If they are not serious, would you see the PUNTO and LINEA and talk about the FIAT 500 etc.
Precisely, both the Linea and the Punto are current models in it's international portfolio. The Punto recently received a minor facelift. I think Fiat is on the right track.

Quote:
Sir, Firstly, If you type in Bold - then you are cribbin
Secondly how do you define more commitment?
Yes, internet posting etiquette does suggest that, but I'd like to think otherwise in this case. Maybe, in order to distinguish his comments to my post, he started with the bold and forgot to turn it off. Not a big deal.

However, your question about the "more commitment" is a valid one, in my opinion, Fiat has been very committed. Like Rupinder mentioned, they are launching the 90Hp Punto, and they also launched the Emotion and Dynamic versions with the 1.2 engine. I had actually heard a customer at the dealership asking whether such a model was available, this was in August'09.
Old 4th July 2010, 08:29   #2337
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, internet posting etiquette does suggest that, but I'd like to think otherwise in this case. Maybe, in order to distinguish his comments to my post, he started with the bold and forgot to turn it off. Not a big deal.
@headers : It`s my mistake, the intention was to differentiate my comments, Thanks @Amartya.
Old 4th July 2010, 09:49   #2338
BHPian

I have a question to the Punto owners. I have a Palio and looking to move on to Punto (hopefully 90 BHP). One concern which I have is the turning radius. At 5.4m, its larger than many sedans. How do you find the parking and maneuverability within the city? Palio itself has a large turning radius at 5.1m, which can be a pain sometimes, especially while taking U turns.
Old 4th July 2010, 10:03   #2339
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatpower View Post
I have a question to the Punto owners. I have a Palio and looking to move on to Punto (hopefully 90 BHP). One concern which I have is the turning radius. At 5.4m, its larger than many sedans. How do you find the parking and maneuverability within the city? Palio itself has a large turning radius at 5.1m, which can be a pain sometimes, especially while taking U turns.
Just like the Palio the Punto also has a large turning radius, which can be a pain at times.
Old 4th July 2010, 10:03   #2340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatpower View Post
Inside the city, it hasn't really been too much of a pain, and one gets used to it within a week of driving. If you drive the Palio, it doesn't feel too different in terms of the steering radius.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks