Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2010, 22:24   #2521
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superveloce View Post
Hey bhpians and fellow punters

I am glad to announce that i have joined the list of punto owners, my Red 1.3 Em Pk has just cleared the RTO here in pune. Will take delivery on Monday.

I have some queries:-

1. The vehicle already comes with 195/60/R15 Goodyear GT3s. I want to enquire if i need to change the tires. I am being advised alot by friends to change the goodyears as they are not very good. DO I NEED A CHANGE?
I will obviously replace tires of same spec. I want to know what are my options. I drive alot on concrete expressways, and would like quiet tires but wouldnt want to compromise on grip.
I have Potenza GIII in 195/60/R15 on my swift and they are bloody loud.
I have option of Primacy LC, is yoko decibel available in that size?
And please give me an estimate of cost and buyback

2.I am thinking of upgrading to Philips Extreme Power H4 Headlamps 55/60W. There are said to have 80% longer beam. Is this any good? Or should i get something better? I dont want to install any new relays(cut-out) or HIDs.

Sorry for the rather long queries. (Tried posting in respective threads but didnt get any answers)
Congratulations are in order, good choice.

About the tires, in my personal opinion there is no need to change the tires right now. The tires do get a little noisy, but it isn't too bad, and I am quite happy with the levels of grip it provides. Keep that change of tires for later. It also acts as a mid life modification you can look forward to.
Old 23rd July 2010, 23:12   #2522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC_aashay View Post
Congratulations for your MJD buy.
1. Anti rust treatment is advised if you are going to keep the car for more than 2-3 yrs to yourself. If you plan to sell it early, then its your call to get it done.
Eventually it will protect the car's undercarriage for the next owner as well.
3M will be ok.
Thanks Aashay! My plan is to keep the car for 8 years or so. People laugh at me when I say this, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MihirC View Post
Hey many congratulations on the excellent buy. Is the Tuscan wine a standard colour or do you have to pay a premium for it. How much did it cost OTR.

Time for an ownership thread on your new car mate, with pictures ofcourse. First Tuscan wine on TBhp I guess.
Thanks Mihir! Premium colour - 4500 extra. Since I stay in Panvel (No octroi), total OTR with corporate discount of 6000 is 6.90182 Lakhs.

If I remember, apart from the Tuscan Wine picture Sid posted, there was another somewhere - or am I the prestigious one?!

Of course, pictures as soon as it gets delivered - did not carry a cam today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
fta and tuscan wine are premium colours. They cost 4k extra.

Congrats on the car. Haven't seen a tuscan wine punto till date. Pictures bro...
Thanks! Pictures will come in my own thread post delivery, sure.

Quote:
2.I am thinking of upgrading to Philips Extreme Power H4 Headlamps 55/60W. There are said to have 80% longer beam. Is this any good? Or should i get something better? I dont want to install any new relays(cut-out) or HIDs.
Congrats to you Bro!

This Philips thing available at the dealership or after market?
Old 24th July 2010, 07:54   #2523
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Paint protection / underbody treatment is required for Punto? Someone mentioned that Fiat gives warranty for rusting. An additional coating is suggested especially in Mumbai? Dinitrol costs 4050 and 3M, 3750. What about engine coating?
Basically, you cant check the treatment given and as the general quality of automobiles has improved, i will stay away from it!

Quote:
2. Anyone aware of any decent aftermarket seat covers for Punto? Looking for dual-colored artificial leather in Navi Mumbai area.
Seats covers collect dust and dirt on the seat and you will realise it only when you remove the cover. I would not go for it if i were you. Its easier to clean the OE seats.

Quote:
I am thinking of upgrading to Philips Extreme Power H4 Headlamps 55/60W. There are said to have 80% longer beam. Is this any good? Or should i get something better? I dont want to install any new relays(cut-out) or HIDs.
Try the OE lights. IMO they are good even at 140 kph at night. BUT incase you change please, please use a correct rated HL relay for the additional load.

Just changing to another brand is not much value unless you feel so strongly!
Old 24th July 2010, 12:05   #2524
superveloce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
Congratulations are in order, good choice.

About the tires, in my personal opinion there is no need to change the tires right now. The tires do get a little noisy, but it isn't too bad, and I am quite happy with the levels of grip it provides. Keep that change of tires for later. It also acts as a mid life modification you can look forward to.
Thanks amartya. Even i think the goodyears should be retained. I would want to reduce the expense on add-ons immediately. I think the tire change should be planned after the OE wears out and it would be a nice mid-life modification. I think i am going to take your advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devansn View Post
Congrats to you Bro!

This Philips thing available at the dealership or after market?
Well likewise. Congrats to you too for getting your tuscan beauty.

The philips lights i have seen in an accessory shop here in pune @ rs950. I have another accessory guy back home in mumbai. I plan to try out the lamps at his shop, if i see a difference only then ill change.
The reason i asked is, they are said to have a 80% longer beam. Dont know if its true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Try the OE lights. IMO they are good even at 140 kph at night. BUT incase you change please, please use a correct rated HL relay for the additional load.

Just changing to another brand is not much value unless you feel so strongly!
Well i am going to do the light change after a week of night driving, including the expressway at night. If i am happy with the OE then i wont change.
What is wanted to know is, that do OSRAM have anything better?

Old 25th July 2010, 20:04   #2525
BHPian

Quote:

Sorry for the rather long queries. (Tried posting in respective threads but didnt get any answers)
Like headers said, when I took a test dive of my Friend's Punto, I found the OE lights to be quite good. Also the fogs were pretty powerful as well.

I have the philips Extreme power 60/55 in my OHC and they were a definite
improvement from stock. Do check them out if you are planning to replace the stock bulbs.
Old 26th July 2010, 09:03   #2526
superveloce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Games Goblin View Post
Like headers said, when I took a test dive of my Friend's Punto, I found the OE lights to be quite good. Also the fogs were pretty powerful as well.

I have the philips Extreme power 60/55 in my OHC and they were a definite
improvement from stock. Do check them out if you are planning to replace the stock bulbs.
Hey thanks games goblin, this is exactly what i wanted to hear. But i will first check out the OEs and upgrade only after i use them for a week.

Old 27th July 2010, 10:25   #2527
Senior - BHPian

Two dealers are telling me that Punto prices (along with other Tata-Fiat vehicles) are going up by atleast 5K from August 1. Not sure if this will affect 90HP Punto as well. Anyone else heard the same?
Old 27th July 2010, 11:04   #2528
BHPian

Add my punto to club!

Hi,

I joined Punto club with E-pack mjd-Exotica red on 14th june, & completing 3k kms in next few days, in these approx 45 days of owning punto had problems with electricals & it's cleared in warranty by Concode[Mysore road Br.] & i have given 10 out 10 points to them for service provided.

Details will be posted after 1st service completion in new thread..

Last edited by subbarao : 27th July 2010 at 11:07. Reason: Last line added
Old 27th July 2010, 11:33   #2529
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Games Goblin View Post
I have a slight difference in opinion. The high beams are superb and spreads the light pretty well too. But when it comes to low beams, I am a bit disappointed. Reason? They are pointed a bit too low even at the highest beam angle position - you may not see obstacles in the front at a medium distance. This is by comparing the low beam angles of most of the other cars including my Palio.
Old 27th July 2010, 13:51   #2530
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I have a slight difference in opinion. The high beams are superb and spreads the light pretty well too. But when it comes to low beams, I am a bit disappointed. Reason? They are pointed a bit too low even at the highest beam angle position - you may not see obstacles in the front at a medium distance. This is by comparing the low beam angles of most of the other cars including my Palio.
@Clevermax: Its go to have a different opinion - Thanx
Old 27th July 2010, 20:15   #2531
BHPian

Quote:
Exactly I observed it too. I placed the headlights at level 1 and with two people in the car, I noticed that I had difficulty in viewing obstacles beyond 10-15 metres ( hope i got this right !!). Will try with level 0 next time.
Old 27th July 2010, 20:51   #2532
Distinguished - BHPian

The Goodyear GT3 tires have adequate grip when dry, things get worse on wet roads. The tires when half worn are very noisy and with even slightly uneven wear they wobble a bit shaking the steering.

I recommend a change to either Michelin or Yokohama tires, personally i prefer Yoko db v550.
Old 28th July 2010, 05:16   #2533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
The Goodyear GT3 tires have adequate grip when dry, things get worse on wet roads. The tires when half worn are very noisy and with even slightly uneven wear they wobble a bit shaking the steering.

I recommend a change to either Michelin or Yokohama tires, personally i prefer Yoko db v550.
@anshuman, thanks for the information. However, my 1.2 Emotion has Bridgestone B250. I have not had any issues yet in terms of grip or wobble. Any idea how these perform in the long run? Are they any better or worse than the GT3?
Old 28th July 2010, 09:58   #2534
superveloce

Quote:
Well i have been driving in the rains here in pune for 48 hours now and i can now see exactly what you have been talking about. I think i will change to extreme power philips 55/60w this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
Exactly I observed it too. I placed the headlights at level 1 and with two people in the car, I noticed that I had difficulty in viewing obstacles beyond 10-15 metres ( hope i got this right !!). Will try with level 0 next time.
I still havent changed the beam height. But i will try this and see if it helps me in any way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post

I am still wondering whether i should change to yokohama db v550 or primacy LC. Is it really worth it? My tires are done just 200kms and if a change is highly recommended then please tell me now. My weekend drive is 300kms on concrete expressway and the monsoons are in peak both in Pune and Mumbai.

Old 28th July 2010, 13:39   #2535
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster View Post
@anshuman, thanks for the information. However, my 1.2 Emotion has Bridgestone B250. I have not had any issues yet in terms of grip or wobble. Any idea how these perform in the long run? Are they any better or worse than the GT3?
Firstly the tire size in Emotion variant is smaller and narrower than the 195 section 15" tires that come fitted on the Emotion pack variant. This is a good reason to upgrade. Plus the Bridgestone and Goodyear OE tires we get here are not as good as the upgrade options we have here.

For the kind of performance all Punto variants have the OE tires have adequate grip.

Quote:

I am still wondering whether i should change to yokohama db v550 or primacy LC. Is it really worth it? My tires are done just 200kms and if a change is highly recommended then please tell me now. My weekend drive is 300kms on concrete expressway and the monsoons are in peak both in Pune and Mumbai.
The OE tires on Punto offer adequate performance for the kind of Performance Punto has but if upgrading is an option, i would definitely recommend it. I have Yokohama db tires on my other car, they offer a very good compromise between comfort and performance, worth the money. I do not know about Primacy LC though, a post in the tires section might help.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks