Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2010, 15:11   #2611
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by better4worse View Post
Going by this logic, one would have to wait for the next service, before one starts revving the engine. I say so cause I just had my first service and there was no oil change not even an oil top-up. Any particular reason for suggesting an oil change before revving it ? Moreover, what are the ill effects of revving the Punto while one is still the sub 2k km period?
Well Some people Say its beneficial to have the engine oil changed during the first service as a new engine when its run in will have a small or negligible amount of metal shavings deposited in the engine oil during run in period. hence unless the oil is changed the particulate matter will keep moving with the oil hence this school of thought.
Old 10th August 2010, 15:38   #2612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
Well Some people Say its beneficial to have the engine oil changed during the first service as a new engine when its run in will have a small or negligible amount of metal shavings deposited in the engine oil during run in period. hence unless the oil is changed the particulate matter will keep moving with the oil hence this school of thought.
May be that holds some truth to it when you bought cars some years back, but now every engine manufactured goes through a series of testing and i am sure metal shavings if any would never make it to the final one which gets fitted on to any car. Thats the reason the manufacturer never recommends any run in periods specifically for engines. But overall car does require some run in time.
Old 10th August 2010, 19:05   #2613
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsan02 View Post
Thats the reason the manufacturer never recommends any run in periods specifically for engines. But overall car does require some run in time.
Hey Samsan02: Can you clarify the same? What is running in the engine and running in the car?

Even if manufacturers are world class, it still makes sense to run in a car which includes running in the engine, tyres, GB, Suspension too
Old 10th August 2010, 21:30   #2614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Hey Samsan02: Can you clarify the same? What is running in the engine and running in the car?

Even if manufacturers are world class, it still makes sense to run in a car which includes running in the engine, tyres, GB, Suspension too
Most new cars don't require any running-in, but certainly it won't do your engine any harm by taking it easy for the first 1k to 1.5k kms.
If a car requires any run in, it will there in the manual with a specific running-in procedure, though. The idea behind running in an engine is to allow time for the mechanical parts to adjust in before they are put to more stress. This means limiting the revs for initial 1k to 2k kms or so. The logic is that doing so shall increase the life of an engine.

Earlier this used to be the buyer's responsibility, but these days many modern car engines either don't require running in, or the procedure is done on a factory floor. But some run in is always good for any new car with fresh brakes,tires,gear box, etc. But there is no hard and fast rule that until first service\engine oil change you should do it. So for an engine you may not need it but for the rest of the car it sure helps.
Old 13th August 2010, 12:49   #2615
BHPian

Can anybody who is using Punto 1.2 confirm the City & Highway FE
Old 13th August 2010, 18:18   #2616
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor spirit View Post
I've been using the 1.2 in the city for the past 2 months and i keep getting around 10.3 KMPL with 80% AC on. I think it would have been better if not for the horrible stop go traffic in Bangalore. Haven't been on the highway yet, but planning a trip soon.
Old 13th August 2010, 19:59   #2617
BHPian

Quote:
Getting overall 13.5-13.8 for driving in Navi Mumbai, you can consider it to be 50:50 highway:city with 70% AC.
Old 13th August 2010, 21:58   #2618
BHPian

Quote:
City - 80% AC, Moderate traffic - ~ 11 kmpl
Highway - 90% AC, No Traffic - ~15.5 kmpl

My Punto 1.2 Emotion is a lil over a month old and done 1050kms so far. I think the first service will improve these figures, since I plan to get Oil changed voluntarily (Although TASC doesn't change oil in the first service, AFAIK).

Last edited by Zenster : 13th August 2010 at 22:11.
Old 13th August 2010, 22:08   #2619
BHPian

Thanks zenster , arun , newpunter.

I am planning to book a 1.2 emotion in sept. I was going through the autocar Aug edition. they mentioned that the FE in city is 9.7 some thing.
I was thinking, is the FE so bad. coz one of my friend owns a 1.2 & he's getting 13kmpl

Last edited by motor spirit : 13th August 2010 at 22:11.
Old 13th August 2010, 23:15   #2620
BHPian

Talking about engine oils, is there any other oil which is equivalent or better than the Fiat recommended one, and which is available off the shelf? I have never seen Selenia on display anywhere, so I am assuming that its hard to get.
Old 13th August 2010, 23:22   #2621
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks zenster , arun , newpunter.

I am planning to book a 1.2 emotion in sept. I was going through the autocar Aug edition. they mentioned that the FE in city is 9.7 some thing.
I was thinking, is the FE so bad. coz one of my friend owns a 1.2 & he's getting 13kmpl
My friend gets 12.5 in Calcutta (manic traffic conditions) with the A/C on all the time (he has asthma and air quality is especially important for him). On a recent highway jaunt, he got 17km/l again with the A/C on always
Old 14th August 2010, 10:13   #2622
BHPian

Thank a lot amartya for your post ..
also i would like to know from zenster, arun & new punter ,

I am a fiat fan & its been a year just drooling over this beauty & passing my time reading praises & contradictions here. now the time has come for me to make it a part of my life . I have test driven the 1.2 a week back at a dealership here. I found the power coming out of the 1.2 mill with 68ps is adequate . Did you people any time feel any short of power & also as you all own a 1.2 emotion . I would also like to know your feedback ( pros/cons ) on this perticular version for me to help in making a right decision
Old 14th August 2010, 10:28   #2623
Senior - BHPian

Hi motor spirit. I've test driven 1.2 emotion twice (6km each time on empty road, bad roads with pot holes and b2b traffic).

One thing I found very good about this car is that it is "pin drop silent" inside the cabin. Minimum engine noise, if any. After this, I test drove 1.4 and the difference was there to hear. 1.4 though ok as per petrol standards, is a lot more noisy than 1.2

Regarding power, 1.2 drives very smooth in bumper 2 bumper traffic and bad roads. It is made for the city. I did not take it to the highways but on empty road, though it is not a freely sprinting as 1.4 of course but it is not underpowered at all for a person like me. I do not drag race at traffic lights so I don't find it underpowered.

Last edited by PaddleShifter : 14th August 2010 at 10:37. Reason: Removed Quoted post
Old 14th August 2010, 12:35   #2624
BHPian

Quote:
Thank a lot amartya for your post ..
also i would like to know from zenster, arun & new punter ,
I found the power coming out of the 1.2 mill with 68ps is adequate . Did you people any time feel any short of power & also as you all own a 1.2 emotion . I would also like to know your feedback ( pros/cons ) on this perticular version for me to help in making a right decision
Well, you really have similar doubts that I had before buying my car. My outlook before buying the Punto 1.2E was that its Exterior Looks are to die for, Interiors are a bit of a compromise compared to the competition, Service from TASC will be a challenge. So the questions that would really make or break it were the 1.2l engines performance, the ride quality, the handling etc.
To put things in perspective I owned a Zen mpfi (NonPS) earlier and loved its zippy performance, the steering feedback and overall KART-like dynamics. Now I wanted a more sorted ride, better build quality, more new-world features etc (Besides my better half wanting a new car :P ). Also, before driving the Punto I drove the Beat 1.2, Ritz 1.2, i20 1.2, Figo 1.2 etc and eliminated them for different reasons.

When I test drove the Punto a couple of times, the brilliant ride and handling had me grinning. Needless to say that the car is build like a Bank-SafeBox. Then the engine... I tested a 1.2 Active since Emotion was then not available for the test drive. The engine was great! I say this in comparison to the other 1.2l cars. This 1.2l 8v engine takes a little time to get off the blocks, so a drag race between the lights will put a strain on it for sure, But then it is refined (no noise in cabin with light music). It is smooth and adequately powerful for both the city and highway. It has the zippy feel for the city and has enough punch for highway drives. (Having recently done a 350kms highway run, I know the highway performance first hand )

The Emotion variant is also a VFM option compared to other VXI or LT variant cars. The My-Car is addictive to say the least. Audio system is just OK, but works for me since I'm not a big audiophile. 2-Tone Dash looks better then all-black. The Desmotronic Key is a thing to Show-off , its just too cool for this segment of cars. These are a few of the many features is love.

P.S: I probably shouldn't say this here, but in-case you get bored of slow traffic around you or fancy a lil drag, Keep the engine higher than 3k rpm in all gears. I know I shud be running-in the engine, but i have done this once recently and MY GOD it felt good. I can vouch the engine has punch to keep up with any other hatch and it sounds like there is a beast under the hood. Try it in the test vehicle, if you'd like.

Hope this clarifies you doubts. Lemme know if you have any other questions and sorry for the long post!
Old 14th August 2010, 16:57   #2625
BHPian

Quote:
I am a fiat fan & its been a year just drooling over this beauty & passing my time reading praises & contradictions here. now the time has come for me to make it a part of my life . I have test driven the 1.2 a week back at a dealership here. I found the power coming out of the 1.2 mill with 68ps is adequate . Did you people any time feel any short of power & also as you all own a 1.2 emotion . I would also like to know your feedback ( pros/cons ) on this perticular version for me to help in making a right decision
I've completed 1600kms on Punto 1.2 Emotion now and absolutely loving it. As a whole package, what we're getting on this model for the price is amazing. It's the best VFM deal for a premium hatch in that price range only next to Figo IMHO.

Regarding power, it's more than adequate. It may not be in the leagues of Swift, but certainly not a deal breaker. Torque peaks at 2500 rpm, you get 96Nm of it. Initially I felt the second gear to be useless, now it has become a lot more responsive in the second gear too. You can potter around in the city in third gear without a problem. In the highway too, upto 130 kmph, it should pose no problem. I've done max of 110 kmph only once yet, and it was stable and planted. You don't feel that you're doing 100+ till you look at the speedo, such is the stability and ride of the car.

Keep the revs over 2000 for instant acceleration when you need it. I've not crossed 3000 yet for continuous period, but after what I read from Zenster, I think I'll have to give it a try.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks