Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2010, 17:49   #2671
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Regarding the Punto 1.4, i have read a lot about the 2nd gear being dead, etc, etc. My parents have a 1.4 and to be frank i actually found the second gear to be quite useful, especially in the city in slow moving traffic. The first gear is really short though, the second is also short but i actually liked it as the 1.4 FIRE really opens up after around 2k rpm. The icing on the cake is the engine note!
+1 to that. I usually cruise around in 2nd gear when venturing into crowded streets. I try hard to keep it under 3k though since its only the second month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
The car had just over 1k on the odo, and with some spirited driving i managed a 12.5 kmpl (MID showed 13.9) (Bangalore - Mysore with around 50km in Bangalore), whereas my dad got 14 !
Great. I managed 15 ( MID figures on the second day of ownership on my ride from Bng to Mysore. The speed buzzer was set at 85 , hence never went beyond that
Old 25th August 2010, 19:08   #2672
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
+1 to that. I usually cruise around in 2nd gear when venturing into crowded streets. I try hard to keep it under 3k though since its only the second month.
++1 to automatic cruising. I just love that feature on crawling traffic. I realised that at 1500 - 1800 rpm, you can cruise on the 3rd gear as well at speeds of ~30kmph.
Old 25th August 2010, 19:29   #2673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarenes View Post
I realised that at 1500 - 1800 rpm, you can cruise on the 3rd gear as well at speeds of ~30kmph.
Yes I have observed that too ( at times < 30 kmph). Not sure if that is good for the engine. anyone?
Old 25th August 2010, 23:08   #2674
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes I have observed that too ( at times < 30 kmph). Not sure if that is good for the engine. anyone?
What should be the minimum engine rpm for each gear? Or some minimum speed
for each gear in case of 1.3MJD? Any idea?
Old 26th August 2010, 06:34   #2675
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
What should be the minimum engine rpm for each gear? Or some minimum speed
for each gear in case of 1.3MJD? Any idea?
Should be around 1200-1300 RPM or so.

The Logic is simple. The idle of the 1.3 MJD is 850-900 RPM. 300 to 400 RPM more than that should NOT LUG this engine.

My experience owing 2 of them also suggests the same.
Old 26th August 2010, 13:33   #2676
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
The rear A/C vents for the Punto are under the front seats. If you shine a torch under the front seats (while looking under it from the rear seat), you should be able to spot them.
Mamma mia!! Boy do I feel embarassed or what! 8 months of owning the 1.4 E+ and I had no idea I had a rear A/C vent/blower! In my defence though, I've never sat in the rear seat and very very rarely have I had rear seat passengers
PhrozenFire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2010, 11:28   #2677
BHPian

Quote:
Great. I managed 15 ( MID figures on the second day of ownership on my ride from Bng to Mysore. The speed buzzer was set at 85 , hence never went beyond that
I too drive a 1.4, 1st is too short, while in crawling traffic sometimes it will be of use at 0-5kmph else 2nd is the most used with 0-18 kmph. But I quickly upshift to 3rd and with a band of 12-30 kmph (without any gas) it just gets so easy to drive in slow moving traffic just with brake and little clutch. With 4th and 5th also I have seen it just easily moves at 30 kmph or so on open stretches without any gas. Best part of doing so, MID shows instant FE at 22-27 kmpl. But letting go on just the gear without any gas, is it goood for the engine? I have no clue only TBHP Experts can answer that.
Old 30th August 2010, 18:30   #2678
Senior - BHPian

A lot has been discussed on the 2nd short gear in the Punto. My experience ( after driving almost 16K on the MJD variant ) , has been that the 2nd gear is pretty useful in city traffic.

The short ratio however makes revving hard difficult as the engine reaches high rpms faster.

I would rather prefer the gearshift to be slicker, and a 6th gear on the Punto.
Old 30th August 2010, 19:10   #2679
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
A lot has been discussed on the 2nd short gear in the Punto. My experience ( after driving almost 16K on the MJD variant ) , has been that the 2nd gear is pretty useful in city traffic.

The short ratio however makes revving hard difficult as the engine reaches high rpms faster.

I would rather prefer the gearshift to be slicker, and a 6th gear on the Punto.
The 6th Gear would Push the 1.3 MJD to 200 kph

I find the 2nd gear takes me all the way to 70 kph easily.

3rd is ideal for city use as one can putter along from 20kph onwards to 100+ if needed.
Old 31st August 2010, 10:18   #2680
BHPian

Guys I have one question, if anyone here has installed Fiat Central Locking system in Active or Dynamic varient, what is the price for that, the dealer I spoke with is asking for 10K, and he says if I install central locking from outside(Autocop etc..) the warranty will be void, how far true is this?
Old 31st August 2010, 10:29   #2681
Senior - BHPian

@asdon- The cost of central locking+keyless locking for Active variant is 10k. This is because there is no in built manual central locking system in Active. They install ECU controlled central locking or something like this with remote keyless system.

Dynamic variant has manual central locking, so the keyless central locking system costs around 4.5k.

I think you should not get it installed from outside. I had read somewhere about a FTA Linea stranded at a TASC because the owner was getting central locking installed from outside and the ECU fried in the process.
Old 31st August 2010, 15:05   #2682
BHPian

Guys, anyone got the speakers changed in the Emo/Emo Pk? The stock speakers are absolute rubbish. I want to get it changed and understood from the SA that the warranty does not get void.
Has anyone changed it already? If so which ones?

TIA
Old 31st August 2010, 17:50   #2683
Senior - BHPian

Is there anyone on the forum who have ordered an additional 'Remote' for locking the car? If yes, can you please tell me how much it costs?

Amith
Old 31st August 2010, 18:04   #2684
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Is there anyone on the forum who have ordered an additional 'Remote' for locking the car? If yes, can you please tell me how much it costs?

Amith
The additional remote for locking the car cost 1% the cost of the car. Serious.

You could order from TATA-FIAT who will give it on order after you wait for 3 months!!
Old 31st August 2010, 18:08   #2685
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
The additional remote for locking the car cost 1% the cost of the car. Serious.

You could order from TATA-FIAT who will give it on order after you wait for 3 months!!
What? Does that mean I have to pay nearly 6.5 - 7k to get an additional remote?

My Remote is having some problems and that's the reason why I wanted to know whether an additional remote will be available or not.Anyway, let me go to the authorized service center to know whether they will replace my remote under warranty or not!

Keeping my fingers crossed.And yes,Thanks a lot for the quick reply Headers.

Amith

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks