Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2010, 22:19   #2866
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
I think 1.4 Emotion has driver seat height adjustment.
Yes, but since the doors are closed while driving, this is not a basis of differentiating between 1.2 and 1.4 on road.

There is no way to differentiate between 1.2 and 1.4 on road except the VIN sticker on the left front quarter glass. If you can read the VIN from it while driving, you can tell if it's 1.2 or 1.4.
Old 21st October 2010, 16:06   #2867
BHPian

Hey.. i test drove a GP 90HP today...

I liked the car overall except for the following things...

1. The noise levels.It was very much audible inside the cabin with the AC on.Even the when i used the horn,it was pretty much heard inside.The engine rev was very audible inside.This was quite annoying!!!
It is very evident that the demo car was abused really well,but it is the one i use to make my decisions.Could some one pls tell me about the noise levels.

2. The power and the clutch travel. I felt the 2nd gear lacked power outright even on a 90 hp model. i am intending to buy a 75hp one.
Old 21st October 2010, 17:00   #2868
Senior - BHPian

Took a test drive of Punto today. Interior plastic quality is still below average, otherwise a fantastic car. Sales guy from Concorde came with a brand new car and had disconnected ODO. He isaid it is not a customer car but a new test drive car.
Old 21st October 2010, 17:23   #2869
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Took a test drive of Punto today. Interior plastic quality is still below average, otherwise a fantastic car. Sales guy from Concorde came with a brand new car and had disconnected ODO. He isaid it is not a customer car but a new test drive car.

Any information on the NVH levels. Because i thought i could have test drove a new car.
Old 21st October 2010, 18:05   #2870
Senior - BHPian

Rubbertramps, I had never driven a diesel before and you can imagine how a first timer like me would have found NVH levels of MJD? Fantastic. I've been inside a diesel car only once before. It was a Skoda Octavia. But, compared to MJD Punto, Octavia was vibrating a lot. Just like when you idle a bike or M800 with choke pulled.

5-6 test drives later, I changed my mind from 1.4FIRE to 1.3MJD.
I had PMed a number of owners and it is a fact that NVH levels improve after 5-7k on the ODO and the car becomes much more responsive. I was even comparing NVH of Verna, Swift and Punto in one thread.

Test drive cars are not run-in properly. In fact they are abused right from the very first Km. Do not count on its NVH. It will have more noise and more vibration.

There is little audible noise when you are driving with music at volume set at as low as 5-6. You will definitely hear the engine if you will "look for it".
Old 21st October 2010, 18:08   #2871
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Can we fit 16” Alloys with 205/55 R16 tyres directly to Punto 90HP without any alteration/modification?

The speedo error after above upgradation will be 2.75%. What are the drawbacks of speedo errors?

Do the the tyre hit the sidewall or upper wall inside the wheel well while turning or negotiating bumps?

Is the spare wheel well large enough to fit 205/55 R16 sized tyre?

Thanks in advance

Vinu
Old 22nd October 2010, 10:18   #2872
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
Rubbertramps, I had never driven a diesel before and you can imagine how a first timer like me would have found NVH levels of MJD? Fantastic.
================
There is little audible noise when you are driving with music at volume set at as low as 5-6. You will definitely hear the engine if you will "look for it".

Thanks PaddleShifter. Thats very relieving news. Anyways i am yet to lay my hands on Figo and the Fabia. Taking reference from your statement i believe Skoda will also be noisy and to top it off it is a 3 pot diesel engine.
Old 29th October 2010, 10:38   #2873
BHPian

Road Side Assistance

Something i wanted share with everyone here.
My dad owns a punto MJD E which is almost a year old. Last Friday around 12 in the afternoon I just left my house to go to office and suddenly my dad called me saying that the car would not start up. On further inquiry it turned out that my dad had stopped at a petrol pump to fill up diesel and once that was done, there was no response from the engine when he turned the ignition key. He sounded quite worried. i returned back home and called KHT motors by checking a phone number online. The girl in the reception gave me the number for the service department. The person who picked up the call did not speak English or Hindi that well there was a huge communication gap and i was mentally kicking myself for not learning Kannada. Then it occurred to me to call the road side assistance helpline which i had used back in December. When i called the number the Lady on the line wanted to verify the car Chassis number and stuff which i could not do so she recommended that my father call them directly. i called my dad and informed him the same and told him that the number was there in his phone contact and give them a buzz. this would have been about 12.15. then i headed out to the place where they were stuck. within about 20 min my mom called me saying that everything has been sorted out and a mechanic was sent to check the issue and it had to do with some dirt and harden dust on the battery points which the mechanic cleaned up. i was quite impressed.

Note: An interesting thing that my dad told me later was that when the customer service did a conference call with the mechanic. The mechanic said that his shop was really close and he promised my dad he will be there real quick. On hearing this comment the customer service rep immediately childed the mechanic to tell my dad precisely how many minutes it will take him to get to the spot.
Old 29th October 2010, 12:28   #2874
BHPian

Wow this is fanstastic experience. No wonder Fiat is moving up the ladder in JD Power survey
Old 29th October 2010, 21:53   #2875
BHPian

Linea alloys for Punto?

Guys , I have a query here, Punto E+ is one of the cars shortlisted by me to purchase this year. Now more than the Puntos original alloys I like the Linea ones on Punto much more. The Linea alloys retail for 10.xx k a piece , while the punto ones retail for 13.xxk a piece. Is the spare in the Punto E+ an alloy?

1) Is it possible that before delivery I can get the lines alloys installed on the punto in exchange for the Puntos alloys since the tyre size is the same?

If we assume that the spare is not an alloy on the Punto then the 4 alloys would come to 52k, while 5 Linea alloys would cost me 50.xx k, so ideally the exchange would be more or less free ideally.

And if the Punto comes with 5 alloys then can I get around 10 K back from the dealer?

Can anyone please tell me if this is possible? anyone tried this?

Last edited by MihirC : 29th October 2010 at 22:01.
Old 29th October 2010, 22:03   #2876
Senior - BHPian

The spare in the Punto Emotion Pack has a regular steel rim. But, good thing is that the spare wheel is 15 inch too (Other cars come with 14 inch spare tyre).

- I don't think dealership wouldn't agree to it. Moreover, they do not stock OEM alloys regularly IMO. You have to place an order.
Better find someone willing to buy your alloys at good price.

Today only, I saw one Minimal Grey Punto Active with Linea's alloys and it was looking great in those multi spoke alloys.

But, I still like the Punto's alloys because this design comes in race cars and hard to find in after market tyre shops.
Check out the pics of the Bugati Veyron launched yesterday in India. It has the same Punto's alloys. Also seen in some Ferrari models and a few F1 cars during some seasons.

Last edited by PaddleShifter : 29th October 2010 at 22:05.
Old 29th October 2010, 22:53   #2877
BHPian

That's the new attitude of FIAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinblades View Post
Something i wanted share with everyone here.
My dad owns a punto MJD E which is almost a year old. Last Friday around 12 in the afternoon I just left my house to go to office and suddenly my dad called me saying that the car would not start up. On further inquiry it turned out that my dad had stopped at a petrol pump to fill up diesel and once that was done, there was no response from the engine when he turned the ignition key. He sounded quite worried. i returned back home and called KHT motors by checking a phone number online. The girl in the reception gave me the number for the service department. The person who picked up the call did not speak English or Hindi that well there was a huge communication gap and i was mentally kicking myself for not learning Kannada. Then it occurred to me to call the road side assistance helpline which i had used back in December. When i called the number the Lady on the line wanted to verify the car Chassis number and stuff which i could not do so she recommended that my father call them directly. i called my dad and informed him the same and told him that the number was there in his phone contact and give them a buzz. this would have been about 12.15. then i headed out to the place where they were stuck. within about 20 min my mom called me saying that everything has been sorted out and a mechanic was sent to check the issue and it had to do with some dirt and harden dust on the battery points which the mechanic cleaned up. i was quite impressed.

Note: An interesting thing that my dad told me later was that when the customer service did a conference call with the mechanic. The mechanic said that his shop was really close and he promised my dad he will be there real quick. On hearing this comment the customer service rep immediately childed the mechanic to tell my dad precisely how many minutes it will take him to get to the spot.
@ twinblades. Really good experience shared. This is the new attiitude of FIAT. Most of the time people keep writing all bad experience of FIAT dealers, A.S.S. , car problems and what not. Now if they are serious we should also appriciate their sincere efforts towards Indian customers.
Keep it up FIAT! Forget Uno & Palio days !! Come big way in Punto & Linea days !!!

p.s. - I was thinking really what is the need of RSA & is it worth to spend Rs. 3000/-? I got the answer!!

Last edited by Fiat&Me : 29th October 2010 at 22:55.
Old 29th October 2010, 22:59   #2878
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
The spare in the Punto Emotion Pack has a regular steel rim. But, good thing is that the spare wheel is 15 inch too (Other cars come with 14 inch spare tyre).

- I don't think dealership wouldn't agree to it. Moreover, they do not stock OEM alloys regularly IMO. You have to place an order.
Better find someone willing to buy your alloys at good price.

Today only, I saw one Minimal Grey Punto Active with Linea's alloys and it was looking great in those multi spoke alloys.

But, I still like the Punto's alloys because this design comes in race cars and hard to find in after market tyre shops.
Check out the pics of the Bugati Veyron launched yesterday in India. It has the same Punto's alloys. Also seen in some Ferrari models and a few F1 cars during some seasons.
Well, what you are saying makes sense, but I ll try and push the salesman for the exchange thing. The only thing I dont like about the Punto alloys is that the curves are way too thick. The same design but a bit more thinner strips of the curves would look awesome

The discs and drums have to be easily visible man

Last edited by MihirC : 29th October 2010 at 23:08.
Old 29th October 2010, 23:03   #2879
Senior - BHPian

I agree with you on this part. They are a bit thick. But thinner ones look better on larger tyres and these think ones are ok with 15 inch alloys. Well, design is a highly subjective thing.

Also, these thick curves are not easy to clean as well. Thinner spokes would have been a lot easier to clean.
Old 29th October 2010, 23:40   #2880
BHPian

Folks, today I changed lights to Hella H4 100/90 with the relay - so everything got done without any wire cutting.But while doing so I noticed the fluid in the relatively big container with the small pipe leading into the engine was little less than minimum levels. Is that the coolant ? I'm going on a blr-yelagiri trip tomorrow morning so am concerned this might be a problem?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks