Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2011, 17:46   #3136
BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

What do you think is the future of punto in India? its the only thing holding me back from buying it.
Worldwide it has been facelifted and so the current punto we have here is actually outdated internationally, secondly, there is pretty much no chance its going to be facelifted in India due to its low sales. I even sometimes feel that fiat has lost all hope and even stopped promoting the punto as I hardly ever see promos of this car compared to the competition.
I really want to buy this car as I am being offered E+ 1.4 complete with basic accessories and seat covers with extended warranty for 6.89 lacs, which is a great deal compared to polo which costs 7 lacs to begin with (highline without acc.) here.
So please help me remove my doubts...
Thanks
Old 8th February 2011, 17:54   #3137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Need to know one thing: Fiat doesnt manufacture 90HP in silver. But if one places a custom order for a silver 90HP, will Fiat manufacture for that customer?
Silver=minimal grey.
And second-to those who own exotica red puntos: Hows the paint quality overall? And is it easy to maintain and does it retain its shine even after heavy abuse?
Paint quality of exotica red is excellent , even after 1 and a half year it looks great. But it is prone to swirl marks just like any dark color.Needs periodic polishing.
Old 8th February 2011, 17:54   #3138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoriginal9321 View Post
What do you think is the future of punto in India? its the only thing holding me back from buying it.
Worldwide it has been facelifted and so the current punto we have here is actually outdated internationally, secondly, there is pretty much no chance its going to be facelifted in India due to its low sales. I even sometimes feel that fiat has lost all hope and even stopped promoting the punto as I hardly ever see promos of this car compared to the competition.
I really want to buy this car as I am being offered E+ 1.4 complete with basic accessories and seat covers with extended warranty for 6.89 lacs, which is a great deal compared to polo which costs 7 lacs to begin with (highline without acc.) here.
So please help me remove my doubts...
Thanks
I truly understand your feelings. I was in the same dilemma last year before buying my Punto. But seeing the facts, FIAT is in a good position now compared to its previous ventures in India. Selling 2000 odd cars a month along with their engine sales is good enough to maintain a steady run. And FIAT may introduce a sub 5 lakh car which will increase their penetration to non-metros. Anyway I have good hopes for FIAT's future in India. Obviously they are nowhere near the market leaders, but you dont need to be one to sustain in a market.
Old 8th February 2011, 18:40   #3139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
IMO there is nothing to worry about Fiat India's future. Not saying because I own a Fiat but because of reasons already posted by arunkk and also because Fiat India is a 50-50% joint venture between Fiat and Tata.
Old 8th February 2011, 18:46   #3140
BHPian

Thanks for your help guys, but does anybody know if fiat has plans to facelift the punto in India?
Because AFAIK India is the only country still running on the old punto.. I somehow have this warm feeling whenever I look at the Polo as I know its the latest generation and is running globally, even thou there is lots of cost cutting but still its the same car. But when I look at punto, even thou I love its looks I still have this half hearted feeling that its "old"
Thanks
Old 8th February 2011, 19:16   #3141
Senior - BHPian

The current Punto has a life cycle till 2013, based on a report i read on model life cycles of all cars in India. The Punto Evo that you are referring to comes with their 'Multiair' engines and 'Multijet 2' IIRC.

Fiat India's future will depend on the success of their India small car due in 2012. Once that is launched, they will be in the real volumes game.
Old 8th February 2011, 21:03   #3142
BHPian

Quote:
Worldwide it has been face lifted and so the current punto we have here is actually outdated internationally,Thanks
I had the same doubt about Fabia in September & October when I was planning to buy a new car. I never thought that it will reach the current level of sales. So things can change in future. Today I was going through Fiat.com and saw Punto in many countries(for example Turkey). Just look at Palio. In my personal opinion it is still look better than i10 or Astar.
Old 8th February 2011, 21:39   #3143
Senior - BHPian

This time FIAT is in India for the long run. Their risks from a long term point of view is minimal. Their factory manufactures way more Tata cars than their own. A large number of the suppliers are shared, not to mention the sales and service network.

As for the update of the Punto, I hope to see it in late 2012 or may be even earlier. Once the Linea gets its facelift, so will the Punto. But rest assured, no matter how dismal the sales, FIAT will not be making much of a loss. The Tata-FIAT deal is a real winner for both the companies. And thanks to Tata us FIAT fans can enjoy our cars with a little bit of peace from the long term point of view.

So go right ahead and go for the Punto 1.4 Epack.

Though I wish the superb Multi-air engines make their debut in India as soon as possible.
Old 9th February 2011, 10:26   #3144
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
This time FIAT is in India for the long run. Their risks from a long term point of view is minimal. Their factory manufactures way more Tata cars than their own. A large number of the suppliers are shared, not to mention the sales and service network.

As for the update of the Punto, I hope to see it in late 2012 or may be even earlier. Once the Linea gets its facelift, so will the Punto. But rest assured, no matter how dismal the sales, FIAT will not be making much of a loss. The Tata-FIAT deal is a real winner for both the companies. And thanks to Tata us FIAT fans can enjoy our cars with a little bit of peace from the long term point of view.

So go right ahead and go for the Punto 1.4 Epack.

Though I wish the superb Multi-air engines make their debut in India as soon as possible.
Rightly said, There is no need to worry about the future of FIAT. They are here to stay. The 1.4 E-pack @ 6.89 lacs is superb considering the list of equipment.

By the way, it would be fantastic for FIAT to bring the multiair and multijet2 engines to India, but the worst thing is they share it with TATA and dilute the USP.

The higher grade engines like the 1.4 T-jet, 1.6 MJD, Multiair and MJD2 should be USP to only FIAT and not be given to TATA at any cost, else the differentiating factor is gone for good.
Old 9th February 2011, 11:35   #3145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohit17 View Post
A and B are the two areas to be oiled regularly(have tried grease this time, hope it stays put longer). B is the main culprit area.
Regarding the rear suspension squeaky noise, finally I took it the service after i was unable to get it rectified on my own using some oiling. Looks like some strut pads were replaced as part of warranty and the issue seems to have got resolved for now. No more noise coming but will wait and watch till I close this issue with them.

Also got the AC retrofitted and the change I feel is increased fan speed and a slightly faster cooling, yet to check its affect on mileage thou. But overall AC felt much better now than it was earlier. Earlier it use to take some time before you can feel the chill but now its faster for sure at the same fan speed bar levels. But of course even this too will have to wait and watch before drawing conclusions.
Old 9th February 2011, 21:11   #3146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsan02 View Post
Regarding the rear suspension squeaky noise, finally I took it the service after i was unable to get it rectified on my own using some oiling. Looks like some strut pads were replaced as part of warranty and the issue seems to have got resolved for now. No more noise coming but will wait and watch till I close this issue with them.

Also got the AC retrofitted and the change I feel is increased fan speed and a slightly faster cooling, yet to check its affect on mileage thou. But overall AC felt much better now than it was earlier. Earlier it use to take some time before you can feel the chill but now its faster for sure at the same fan speed bar levels. But of course even this too will have to wait and watch before drawing conclusions.
wat exactly did they do...i mean what all did they replace
Old 10th February 2011, 09:06   #3147
BHPian

Guys,

Anyone with this peculier problem ?

waiting for your views and suggestions

Cheers,

HarryB
Old 10th February 2011, 10:26   #3148
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryB View Post
Guys,

Just came back from long drive to Vellore in y Nov 1.3 Punto MJD.Car was just fantastic on highways, however had a peculier problem. On high speeds though all the windows were up still felt some sound of air coming from driver's window.Is this normal or some where there is a leak and thus resulting in the air gussing in ?

Please advice if anyone faced thus a isse as well

Cheers,

HarryB
One of my my colleagues was also complaining of this issue. He has a Linea 1.4EP
After he informed me of this, i checked in my vehicle..I didn't notice any such thing.
Best would be to take it to the A.S.S and check with them if any "Leak test" can be performed to check this issue.
The one thing I can think of is that the air might be coming in from the AC vents. the switch to change between outside air and inside air might be the problem creator.
Old 10th February 2011, 10:33   #3149
Senior - BHPian

Punto Owners, one small doubt.
The AC temperature cooling level effects the FE?
I know blower has no role to play. But will setting the temperature to a bit higher level improve the FE? Or is it the same no matter what the temperature setting is?
Old 10th February 2011, 10:41   #3150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Punto Owners, one small doubt.
The AC temperature cooling level effects the FE?
I know blower has no role to play. But will setting the temperature to a bit higher level improve the FE? Or is it the same no matter what the temperature setting is?
If the temperature is set cooler say 18 deg, the AC compressor has to work longer and harder to achieve that temperature. When this happens, there will be affect on the FE - It will reduce IMO.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks