Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2011, 17:46   #3361
BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Sir, IMO do NOT install these if you do a lot of night driving. The reverse notifications come on an auxillary RVM that slides onto the existing one. Though the sensors are fair, the RVM becomes useless for day/night adjustment.

I have them on both my Punto EP and have removed the RVM in one to fit the inside unit on the facia!!

cheers
Though I agree with you on the loss of day/night functionality with the reverse sensor, it helps a lot while reversing. Agree I do not do a lot of night driving out of city limits, but I don't miss it too much.
Old 2nd May 2011, 17:57   #3362
BHPian

Guys,

Does the ECU automatically alter the preset parameters?

The reason why I'm asking this is -

I was in Munnar last weekend. During the climb uphill and during the entire first day the car had to wait for the turbo to kickin to climb up the steep gradients, but later on from second day onwards the car was able to pull up clearly from 1300rpm. In fact I was able to troll around in most part of the hills at 3rd and 4th gear, something that I couldn't do earlier.

Is it that the ECU adjusts itself depending upon the range of roads?
Old 2nd May 2011, 19:29   #3363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Guys,

No it does not adjust itself depending upon the range of the roads..but there is an O2 sensor that can adjust the AFR ratio.

This depends on the O2 content at that altitude. Also one more factor could be the diesel used
headers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2011, 20:26   #3364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Sir, IMO do NOT install these if you do a lot of night driving. The reverse notifications come on an auxillary RVM that slides onto the existing one. Though the sensors are fair, the RVM becomes useless for day/night adjustment.

I have them on both my Punto EP and have removed the RVM in one to fit the inside unit on the facia!!

cheers
pointed noted sir . i will check before getting them installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
@Sushil

Are you sure your car has got tweeters?? If yes what version is it and when was it manufactured(VIN). Fiat is really confusing people as to whether they are providing tweeters or not and in which versions.

I think the holes for installing the roof carrier were always there.
Mine one is March 2011 manufactured as per VIN no .
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkg77 View Post
@.sushilkumar

Did you check the presence of tweeters by pulling out the tweeter cover?

@julupani

I think Fiat has discontinued the tweeters lets wait for the reply from sushilkumar to confirm the same.
Well, i hasn;t checked them by physically opening but there is a place in triangle shape for them on my doors and I found a bit of sharpness in sound while listening to FM radio . unfortunately car is in my native place for registration and other formalities ( dealer still hasn 't provided me with necessary denouements for registration, form 21 and others) and I am in delhi .

Will surely check them physically once CAR is with me and confirm but from sound of it i think they are there .
Old 2nd May 2011, 20:57   #3365
Senior - BHPian

@Sushil

The place and the cover dont prove anything, they are there on the Active too. I am sorry to say, I dont think you will find any tweeters behind the covers.

But still check it when you get the chance, may be you get lucky.
Old 2nd May 2011, 22:04   #3366
BHPian

i know i need to verify them physically .

I popped the question based on my ears as i can clearly hear some sound coming from that triangle thing in my door .

another observation is that FIAT might have changed their speaker's vendor. The Sound from OEM speakers looked improved to me .
Old 2nd May 2011, 22:49   #3367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
i know i need to verify them physically .

I popped the question based on my ears as i can clearly hear some sound coming from that triangle thing in my door .

another observation is that FIAT might have changed their speaker's vendor. The Sound from OEM speakers looked improved to me .
Yeah you are right, the speakers are better than the 2009 - 2010 models. The speakers still jar at volume levels 14 and higher. For people who listens to music at low volumes the OEM speakers are adequate.
Old 3rd May 2011, 23:36   #3368
Senior - BHPian

I finally got to photograph my parents' Punto in good light. I think the Punto looks the best from this angle.

I love this photo, so thought i'd share this here.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-20110424-09.37.28.jpg  

fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2011, 08:53   #3369
Senior - BHPian

nice picture tarun, this color suites the car a lot and you have got the perfectly matching tints as well
ms001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2011, 09:01   #3370
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Guys,

The reason why I'm asking this is -

I was in Munnar last weekend. During the climb uphill and during the entire first day the car had to wait for the turbo to kickin to climb up the steep gradients, but later on from second day onwards the car was able to pull up clearly from 1300rpm. In fact I was able to troll around in most part of the hills at 3rd and 4th gear, something that I couldn't do earlier.

There is something called as altitude compensation map. This map is present in the ECU. During the vehicle trails the calibration engineers do the mapping activity. Location normally selected for this calibration is either Leh or Ooty. This map is enabled by the ECU once the barometric pressure goes below 1 bar. There is a sensor inside the ECU casing which measures the atmospheric pressure. At higher altitudes, the atmospheric pressure goes below 1 bar. This means the combustion paramenters are different. So the injected quantity has to be altered. So once this sensed by the ECU it automatically enables the altitude compensation.

But this does not happen immediately. THe ECU watches the sensor for quiet sometime before enabling the compensation.

Last edited by MCR : 4th May 2011 at 09:05. Reason: Adding info
MCR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th May 2011, 16:42   #3371
BHPian

Guys, I had been to the Fiat free check-up camp on Friday last week. The essential oil top ups were done, the under body was checked and the car was then washed.

But, after the engine oil top-up, I somehow feel the smoothness (I mean the in-cabin engine noise) of the engine seems to have gone down. The engine seemed very smooth prior to the oil top-up. Considering that the car has done ~12.5k without an oil change, could it be that the topped-up oil might have something to do with the loss in smoothness? In the sense, does mixing a small quantity of fresh engine oil have any impact?
Old 16th May 2011, 21:53   #3372
Senior - BHPian

Got the AC replaced on my Punto 1.4. They changed almost everything, Cooling has improved noticeably. The new fan is VERY loud.
Old 20th May 2011, 19:35   #3373
BHPian

I completed 10K kms on my Punto (MJD).
I have a quick question for you guys, Is it recommended to change the engine oil right now (I haven't changed it during the 1st service) or can I wait for the 2nd service which is due in September.

Here is a picture of my car
Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-dsc_011204.jpg
Old 20th May 2011, 19:41   #3374
BHPian

Change it during the second service. I've been changing the oils once every 15k km and have not faced any problem till date. My car is 3k away from 45k.
Old 20th May 2011, 19:46   #3375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
I finally got to photograph my parents' Punto in good light. I think the Punto looks the best from this angle.

I love this photo, so thought i'd share this here.
Lovely! Those dark films look damn good. When are you getting that Punto to Pune and to our next meet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pri2 View Post
I completed 10K kms on my Punto (MJD).
I have a quick question for you guys, Is it recommended to change the engine oil right now (I haven't changed it during the 1st service) or can I wait for the 2nd service which is due in September.

Here is a picture of my car
Awesome photograph. The surroundings are just perfect for the BNW Punto to make it stand out and glow.
ajay_satpute is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed