Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2011, 14:20   #3406
MCR
BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
My car also has these vibrations as the tires have worn out unevenly. Please check-
  • Condition of your tires and see if they are damaged or have uneven wear.
  • Get Wheel Balancing checked.
  • Check rims for any damage.
I got this done recently on my Grey Punto along with Wheel Alignment.
The front tyres had gone bald on the inner sides. I switched these with the rear tyres with comparitively less wear. So now the front tyres have gone to the rear and the rear tyres have come up front. Also I have got the balded tyres flipped, if you call it so. That means the balded portion which was on the "inside", has now come to the "outside".

With this the OE tyres can go another 5K kms. Hopefully.
Old 6th June 2011, 14:25   #3407
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
With this the OE tyres can go another 5K kms. Hopefully.
How many Kms has you car covered? My car has crossed 40k kms on OE GT3 tires and look good for another 4-5k kms. I got the alignment check for the first time at 20k kms since the dealership forgot it at first service, it was only after i checked the bill i knew the alignment was not checked.
Old 6th June 2011, 14:34   #3408
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
How many Kms has you car covered? My car has crossed 40k kms on OE GT3 tires and look good for another 4-5k kms. I got the alignment check for the first time at 20k kms since the dealership forgot it at first service, it was only after i checked the bill i knew the alignment was not checked.
My car has covered 22k kms. I have Bridgestone on my car. The problem for me is that my car runs on very rough roads. Hence the tyres get worn out faster. Also I had overlooked the wheel alignment aspect (not done since 12K kms)and I now have a half bald tyre.
Old 7th June 2011, 20:22   #3409
BHPian

Hi all,
This is my first post on Team Bhp, been a long time lurker here. I just recently booked a Hip Hop Black Fiat Punto Emotion 1.3 MJD. I am expecting delivery of the car on Sunday. The decision to go for the Punto was a very very tough one, and only time will tell if I have made the right one. It was a decision purely driven by Emotion (pun intended) Will soon be joining the "Punto" club along with you guys.. Cant wait !

Did a thorough PDI (courtesy the fantastic advice here at team BHP) of the car at Pandit's stockyard, seemed all good to me at the time. Lets hope everything is in order on the big day !

The only big disappointment when I saw the car in the stockyard was the 165/80s. The brochure I had showed the Emotion having 175/80 R15 tyres whereas I found out only later that the tyres had been undersized in the models since a long time :(. I was looking forward to putting just a set of 195s or 205s on the car as soon as I purchased it, but now I realize I'd also have to go for a whole new set of rims immediately if I have to upgrade my tyres, which I cant do due to severe Vit M deficiency. I've become nearly kangaal buying the Punto lol. So I guess I'll be driving around on the thin wheels for a while.

Will post a detailed review after I get my hands on her.
Regards,
PuntoMania
Old 7th June 2011, 21:05   #3410
Senior - BHPian

First of all, congrats on your new car.

The Punto never had a 175/80 R15. Not sure the size even exists.

You probably saw a older brochure. Till mid 2010 the Emotion Variant used to get 175/70 R14s, but was then downgraded to 165/80 R14s. R15 tyres have only been available with the E-pack model only since day one.

Even now you can go in for some 185 or 195 section R14 tyres, by exchanging your OE tyres with new ones. Should cost you pretty small amount.
Old 7th June 2011, 21:36   #3411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
First of all, congrats on your new car.

The Punto never had a 175/80 R15. Not sure the size even exists.

You probably saw a older brochure. Till mid 2010 the Emotion Variant used to get 175/70 R14s, but was then downgraded to 165/80 R14s. R15 tyres have only been available with the E-pack model only since day one.

Even now you can go in for some 185 or 195 section R14 tyres, by exchanging your OE tyres with new ones. Should cost you pretty small amount.
Hi Julupani,
Thanks for the wishes. I was indeed given the old brochure by the dealer, and was under the impression that I would get R15s. So wrong on both counts. Didnt read it right
I did consider your idea of getting 185/195 R14 tyres, but I really am looking to put a nice set of black rims on the car a few months down the line. (Going with the black colour + black tints) Putting a set of R14 alloys might not look all that good, no ?

Last edited by PuntoMania : 7th June 2011 at 21:51.
Old 8th June 2011, 07:25   #3412
Senior - BHPian

I am not saying, change the rims now, exchanging out 4 new OE tyres with 4 new tyres, should cost you I imagine less than 5-7grand. Of course if you think you can go in for a rim and tyre change in a few months time, you may not want to spend the 5-7grand too.
julupani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2011, 11:34   #3413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuntoMania View Post
Hi all,
This is my first post on Team Bhp, been a long time lurker here. I just recently booked a Hip Hop Black Fiat Punto Emotion 1.3 MJD. I am expecting delivery of the car on Sunday. The decision to go for the Punto was a very very tough one, and only time will tell if I have made the right one. It was a decision purely driven by Emotion (pun intended) Will soon be joining the "Punto" club along with you guys.. Cant wait !
Congrats PuntoMania

Punto in hip hop black looks stunning. And regarding your concern whether you made a right choice or not, belive me, you've made a great choice. You can not go wrong with the Punto, especially in MJD avatar. Almost every other diesel car in India is running on this gem of an engine.

There might be some niggles initially, but the car will make you happy in every way. Just enjoy it when you get hold of it and forget all your concerns.

BTW, its mandatory that you attend the next Team BHP Pune meet with your black beauty. Keep a track of the Team BHP meet section for Pune meets.
ajay_satpute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2011, 14:09   #3414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Congrats PuntoMania

Punto in hip hop black looks stunning. And regarding your concern whether you made a right choice or not, belive me, you've made a great choice. You can not go wrong with the Punto, especially in MJD avatar. Almost every other diesel car in India is running on this gem of an engine.

There might be some niggles initially, but the car will make you happy in every way. Just enjoy it when you get hold of it and forget all your concerns.

BTW, its mandatory that you attend the next Team BHP Pune meet with your black beauty. Keep a track of the Team BHP meet section for Pune meets.
Thanks Ajay, for the wishes as well as the Team BHP meet advise. I will definitely make it there for the next one.

Just a small doubt, can you or someone help out with this ? At time of purchase, dealer offered me a few things (not for free ofcourse otherwise I wouldnt even be asking right ?) :

Engine wax (what does this even do ?)
Teflon - ruled this one out as I know its not required for a new car (am I right ?)
Window Tint - From Garware, will probably go for this price quoted was Rs 1800
Under chasis Treatment - Apparently they put "some coating" in the underbody to prevent rusting etc (didnt get a clear reply on this one). Is this recommended ? I am taking delivery in the rainy season and will be driving even on roads with standing water almost every day. Will this help in any way ?

Thanks again
Regards,
PuntoMania

Last edited by PuntoMania : 8th June 2011 at 14:14.
Old 8th June 2011, 14:18   #3415
Senior - BHPian

My replies in bold. Hope it helps. All the best. BTW, what was the on road price you paid for Punto Emotion?

Quote:
Engine wax (what does this even do ?) : Not sure about this.
Teflon - ruled this one out as I know its not required for a new car (am I right ?): Useless. Strictly avoid it.
Window Tint - From Garware, will probably go for this price quoted was Rs 1800. : Even though Garware are damn cheap, I am not very sure about their quality. I would go for 3M anyday. There are other better brands too; VKool, Llumar.
Under chasis Treatment - Apparently they put "some coating" in the underbody to prevent rusting etc (didnt get a clear reply on this one). Is this recommended ? I am taking delivery in the rainy season and will be driving even on roads with standing water almost every day. Will this help in any way ?: All Fiat cars come with under chasis treatment from the company itself. So avoid this too.

Thanks again
Regards,
PuntoMania
ajay_satpute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2011, 14:27   #3416
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
My replies in bold. Hope it helps. All the best. BTW, what was the on road price you paid for Punto Emotion?
Thanks again Ajay for the timely advise. On road I paid a little bit more than 6,39,000 for the car (dont have the exact bill with me at the moment). Got a good discount of about 26k. Didnt make use of any external financing for the purchase, paid the whole amount outright...

Managed to get dealer to give me Floor mats + Mud flaps (yes those ugly attachments which are unfortunately necessary till mother nature decides to pee on us)

Regards,
PuntoMania
Old 8th June 2011, 20:43   #3417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... On road I paid a little bit more than 6,39,000 for the car...... Didnt make use of any external financing for the purchase, paid the whole amount outright...

Regards,
PuntoMania
If you are not an NRI, you are inviting the attention of the IT radar. Income tax radar.

Congrats for your bold decision of opting for the GP

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 8th June 2011 at 20:45.
Old 8th June 2011, 21:05   #3418
Senior - BHPian

Had some fun driving in convoy with 2 other white Puntos today. Right after I exited my office, there was a white Punto (active) in front of me, whom I overtook. A little bit further ahead, there was another Punto. I caught up with him at an intersection - and found that it's another white 90HP MJD Punto. I decided that I won't overtake him and run behind him in "convoy". I'm not sure if he understood this. Probably the guy in the Punto behind me understood what I was trying to do - so he was following me. This lasted for about 3km, till I took the deviation near my home. And then I found that there was a 4th Punto (red) right behind the three white Puntos
Old 8th June 2011, 21:06   #3419
Senior - BHPian

Guys, its started raining here in Mumbai.

Should I do anything to protect my car, like teflon coating, greasing, underbody rust coating, etc.?

I have a 4 month old Punto 90hp.
Old 8th June 2011, 21:16   #3420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Guys, its started raining here in Mumbai.

Should I do anything to protect my car, like teflon coating, greasing, underbody rust coating, etc.?

I have a 4 month old Punto 90hp.
Punto comes with a 5years Paint protection warranty. Just keep an eye on the door joints, areas behind rubber beadings and the car's underbelly. That should do. Modern day cars don't need anti-rust treatment, so save your bucks for something else.
CliffHanger is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks