Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2011, 20:55   #3736
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkg77

2011 cars have more insulation when compared to older models. That's why they are quieter.
It can't be just another layer of insulation alone.

Can anybody post pictures?

Tackling NVH is much harder than it meets the eye
Old 24th September 2011, 23:22   #3737
BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Wow! Taxes in Mumbai must be really high. My friend was quoted about Rs.7.25L for 90HP EP (after discount).

If it's any consolation, the dealer here is also not giving any additional discount other than the festive offer + corp.discount. Even extended warranty is not free. Goodies on offer are floor mats (Fiat), mud flaps (Fiat), parking sensor (Fiat) and underbody coating (3M, with warranty). But my friend is negotiating with another dealer as well.

As for noise levels, you need to compare a 2011 75HP EP with 2011 90HP EP. The sales person was claiming that Fiat has made some improvements on noise levels in the new cars available now.
Yes, taxes in Mumbai are definitely high and I believe they are still higher in Bangalore.
At least I got extended warranty free, a small consolation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkg77 View Post
2011 cars have more insulation when compared to older models. That's why they are quieter.
That is good to read. Will probably go for the 90HP now.
Old 24th September 2011, 23:26   #3738
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
If you are going to book E.pack, book 90HP E.Pack with eyes closed. Many have reported that there is no significant difference in performance between the siblings, but that is, when you try to do a 0-100kmph dash.

90HP has a very good top end, and the in-gear acceleration is arguably the best in segment. Hghway driving in 90HP will be definitely a league ahead than what you can get to experience in 75HP. If I were in your shoes, I would have booked 90HP without any second thoughts.
90HP + A Tuning Box + Punto's precise Ride & Handling = Killer Performer, in highways.

In case you want to test, try to race the two. The 90HP will smoke its younger sibling within no time.
Thanks, your suggestion gave me more confidence to take the 90HP. BTW, what is tuning box and how much does it cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
I have a 90 hp & have driven the 75 hp. Quite honestly, at low revs, the difference is not much. Maybe within city limits, you wont notice any.

But the point is, you are already buying an emotion pack, why not just plonk 35k more & go for the top end - that is, 90 hp. You are definetely not going to lose anything, are you?

If performance does not matter, you are getting the VGT which means refinement is better. Many have reported that the 90 hp sounds more refined than the 75 hp.
What is VGT? And what is in the 1.3 EP?
Old 24th September 2011, 23:35   #3739
Team-BHP Support

BHp'ians who have driven both Punto 90HP and Swift DDiS, please comment on the drive ability and power of Punto 90HP compared to swift diesel?

Since 90HP has 15 more bhp compared to Swift, can it be expected to have atleast the same level of city/ highway performance as the new swift diesel (which weighs almost 150 kgs less)?

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 24th September 2011 at 23:45.
Old 25th September 2011, 10:52   #3740
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesrani View Post
Thanks, your suggestion gave me more confidence to take the 90HP. BTW, what is tuning box and how much does it cost?
Tuning Box is a Micro processor controlled digital system that increases the power and torque of turbo diesel engines. It is a simple box that plugs into the engine with OE connectors.

Cost varies from 15k to 30k depending on the brand.

Quote:
What is VGT? And what is in the 1.3 EP?
VGT means variable geometry turbine. VGT is superior to FGT (Fixed geometry turbine).

I will not get into the technical details but the advantage of VGT is that it improved throttle response at lower revs. Or I would say, atleast it is supposed to, because in the Punto you wont notice any appreciable difference in low revs in VGT...!

1.3 E = 1.3 Emotion (75 hp)
1.3 EP = 1.3 Emotion Pack (75 hp) = top end in 75 hp with alloys, ACC & Airbags
1.3 90 hp = 1.3 Emotion Pack (90 hp) = 90 hp comes only in EP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
BHp'ians who have driven both Punto 90HP and Swift DDiS, please comment on the drive ability and power of Punto 90HP compared to swift diesel?

Since 90HP has 15 more bhp compared to Swift, can it be expected to have atleast the same level of city/ highway performance as the new swift diesel (which weighs almost 150 kgs less)?
Nopes. Drivability & performance wise, the swift is much better. It literally shoots ahead. Turbo lag is also minimal compared to the Punto. This is, I think, due to better gearing.

What it does not have is the dynamics of the punto. The steering is light & devoid of any feel. Handling though good, feels skittish at high speeds. the car is not stable or well planted at high speeds as the punto. most importantly, ride quality is bad, it crashes into potholes.

Please note, I have not driven the new swift though.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 25th September 2011 at 10:54.
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2011, 15:47   #3741
BHPian

Quote:
Someone is clearly not happy -
The BNW Punto has lots of issues with the paint quality and that could be the reason this guy is so mad at it
Old 25th September 2011, 16:01   #3742
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tuning Box is a Micro processor controlled digital system that increases the power and torque of turbo diesel engines. It is a simple box that plugs into the engine with OE connectors.

Cost varies from 15k to 30k depending on the brand.

VGT means variable geometry turbine. VGT is superior to FGT (Fixed geometry turbine).

I will not get into the technical details but the advantage of VGT is that it improved throttle response at lower revs. Or I would say, atleast it is supposed to, because in the Punto you wont notice any appreciable difference in low revs in VGT...!

1.3 E = 1.3 Emotion (75 hp)
1.3 EP = 1.3 Emotion Pack (75 hp) = top end in 75 hp with alloys, ACC & Airbags
1.3 90 hp = 1.3 Emotion Pack (90 hp) = 90 hp comes only in EP

Nopes. Drivability & performance wise, the swift is much better. It literally shoots ahead. Turbo lag is also minimal compared to the Punto. This is, I think, due to better gearing.

What it does not have is the dynamics of the punto. The steering is light & devoid of any feel. Handling though good, feels skittish at high speeds. the car is not stable or well planted at high speeds as the punto. most importantly, ride quality is bad, it crashes into potholes.

Please note, I have not driven the new swift though.
Disargree Raj, The steering has all the feel you can want and drive it around like a go kart. Weighs up nicely and remains rock steady till the 175 I could manage. Heck I could change lanes at 175 similarly as I could at 100 or 120. Ride quality yes is hard due to the hard suspension but handling is brilliant at any speeds.
Old 25th September 2011, 17:37   #3743
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Disargree Raj, The steering has all the feel you can want and drive it around like a go kart. Weighs up nicely and remains rock steady till the 175 I could manage. Heck I could change lanes at 175 similarly as I could at 100 or 120. Ride quality yes is hard due to the hard suspension but handling is brilliant at any speeds.
No issues buddy. What I have posted was just my opinion.

To me, the steering feels vague (agreed, not as much as the i20!) but coming to the handling, at high speeds, stability was not as good as the punto to be honest. it can take high speed corners but the driver has to be vigilant & not relaxed, like in the Punto. Again, just a personal opinion from my experience.
raj_5004 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2011, 17:47   #3744
Senior - BHPian

A good driver in a punto can leave an average driver in a swift diesel gasping and running the gearbox.
Old 25th September 2011, 18:09   #3745
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms001 View Post
^^
festive discounts have already been declared by FIAT, i am not sure if you guys are aware of these.

Fiat festive Offer
Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Just checked that now. Article in ET dated 21st September says this is the offer for September to October so i'm guessing there won't be any further discounts.

Source
Fiat offers festival discounts on Linea and Punto - Economic Times
Thanks for the concern, but we're very much aware of these.
But as I said before, the senior member who is buying too, is pretty sure about more discounts coming our way.

Here's the break-up of the discount. (Got the same offer from 5 dealers 4 in Bangalore, 1 in Anantapur) I'm yet to get to SERIOUS negotiations over the table though.
FREE Insurance - Future Generali ONLY
FREE RSA
10k Off.
6-7k Corp. Discount.
15k Exchange Bonus.
Basics - mudflaps, mats, cover etc. free from the dealer.
This is for all the DIESEL Puntos, right from the 1.3 Active to 90HP EP.

Concorde and KHT were saying they can't say if the offers will change for Oct./Nov. or not).
For the 1.4 Petrols, the discount is 30K cash discount. (20K more than the diesel range).

Last edited by Arkin evoisrevo : 25th September 2011 at 18:10.
Old 25th September 2011, 18:59   #3746
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
I've driven both the cars(Swift & Punto 75HP) extensively for thousands of KMs in Highways. And here are my observations.

1. The performance of Swift will never let you go tired, the car is always hungry to cover miles, whereas in Punto, above 120kmph the engine is always on the boil, and that gives you a feel that the car is sweating it out really hard, while you feel the Swift is always hungry for more. And this observation comes after driving the cars continously for almost 10hours non-stop in a lot of occasions.

2. If you are doing a long jault, Punto's first 2 short gears will anoy you. You would be in a mood to pick up pace quickly, but the car takes its own sweet time. In Swift, you crank the engine, and the game will start immediately.

3. Swift's steering feels dead at amost all speeds above 50kmph, you will not know where the car is heading to your inputs, but the car will handle itself unless you don't make any panic manouvers.

4. Swift handles corners better than Punto. Punto could get shaky, but Swift gets back to line quickly.

5. The composure of Punto is unbeatable, if you are doing around 110kmph, you will feel like cruising in a tank. All the dynamics of the car works best at around this speed.

6. Swift's ride composure will literally break your back and can make you feel sick of travelling. The hard suspension setup is to be blamed for, but that's what makes it handle corners at ease. In Punto, you will find it hard to recollect when you last encountered a pothole on your drive.

7. Swift's Gear shifts are top notch, Punto's is vague and rubbery.

8. In Swift, you feel like being in a toy car, the lightness of everything in the car gives you that feel. In Punto, you feel like you are in an iron monument that has been built over years with undying passion. 17 years of passionate engineering to build a car what it is now, will slowly get into you without your knowledge.

Now, Punto 90HP was launched to strengthen the performance weakness Punto had, and did it bridge the gap?

90HP picks up pace really quickly in highways and the engine is no more in the boil at 120kmph, the car cruises and if you are in the right power band it can give the Swift a real run for its money. Even if the Swift is kept in its right power band, it cannot catch up with a Punto in the right band.

Last edited by CliffHanger : 25th September 2011 at 19:12.
CliffHanger is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th September 2011, 19:41   #3747
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
I've driven both the cars(Swift & Punto 75HP) extensively for thousands of KMs in Highways. And here are my observations.
Hey, thanks for a lovely comparo ! Looks totally UN-biased. I tend to agree with couple of points though I have only heard about Punto's driving dynamics.

Couple of more points I would like to know.

1. How is the front seat / driving dynamics in both cars compared?
2. How is the back seat space in both?
3. Does the 90 HP have better plastics / interior quality than a 75 bhp Punto?
Old 25th September 2011, 20:39   #3748
BHPian

All my comparisons are wrt the old Swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Hey, thanks for a lovely comparo ! Looks totally UN-biased. I tend to agree with couple of points though I have only heard about Punto's driving dynamics.

Couple of more points I would like to know.

1. How is the front seat / driving dynamics in both cars compared?
nkg77: Punto wins hands down, there is no comparison
2. How is the back seat space in both?
nkg77: Again punto has more space than swift
3. Does the 90 HP have better plastics / interior quality than a 75 bhp
Punto?
nkg77: Nope the plastics are exactly the same, but frankly speaking the plastics are not that bad as being told by all. Please check it out in the showroom.
nkg77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2011, 22:37   #3749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkg77 View Post
The BNW Punto has lots of issues with the paint quality and that could be the reason this guy is so mad at it
Thats news to me. Would like to hear the problems please as I have never came across any.
Old 25th September 2011, 23:14   #3750
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock 'n' rollz View Post
Thats news to me. Would like to hear the problems please as I have never came across any.
I own a BNW punto for the last 2 yrs and have not faced any paint related issues.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks