Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2011, 11:19   #3901
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

If the reverse parking sensor is a Fiat genuine accessory, then it gives audible beeps only and no display. So it's not an issue. Otherwise, one can opt for a parking sensor where the display is not mounted on the RVM.
Old 21st October 2011, 11:37   #3902
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky
If the reverse parking sensor is a Fiat genuine accessory, then it gives audible beeps only and no display. So it's not an issue. Otherwise, one can opt for a parking sensor where the display is not mounted on the RVM.
How do you get audible beeps only?

There is a speaker in the rvm that they give with the sensors mounted on a small pcb.

You can choose to mount the rvm hidden in the dash..but.

Btw, even I was told its FIAT GENUINE SPARES..
Old 21st October 2011, 13:46   #3903
GSM
BHPian

Hi All

Am considering replacing my Palio Stile 1.6 with Punto 90 HP. Test drove the car yesterday, and found it to be impressive. Power delivery was adequate enough for me, and noise inside the cabin was pretty minimal. I didn't the feell the so called turbo lag.

Need a help from the forum members on the following -
1. The rear space in Punto feels a smaller than my Palio. I forgot to check it side by side with my Palio. Is it a reality or just my perception?
2. If I do decide to go for the Linea Multijet (primarily due to its bright interiors and moderately bigger rear space), will the performance differential (vis a viz GP 90HP) be a dampener?
3. I am planning to replace the car somewhere in the middle of November or end November. Does it make sense to wait for any new iterations (refreshed interiors for Punto) if I delay my replacement decision by couple of months?

Thanks in advance.
Old 21st October 2011, 15:35   #3904
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSM View Post
Hi All

Am considering replacing my Palio Stile 1.6 with Punto 90 HP. Test drove the car yesterday, and found it to be impressive. Power delivery was adequate enough for me, and noise inside the cabin was pretty minimal. I didn't the feell the so called turbo lag.

1. The rear space in Punto feels a smaller than my Palio. I forgot to check it side by side with my Palio. Is it a reality or just my perception?
The Punto's rear is not very spacious, but neither is it too cramped. If the driver is tall then the person behind will have problems. The i20 and of course the Jazz are more spacious.

2. If I do decide to go for the Linea Multijet (primarily due to its bright interiors and moderately bigger rear space), will the performance differential (vis a viz GP 90HP) be a dampener?
From what i have read, the Linea feels faster than the 90HP. Could somebody confirm..?

3. I am planning to replace the car somewhere in the middle of November or end November. Does it make sense to wait for any new iterations (refreshed interiors for Punto) if I delay my replacement decision by couple of months?
Nothing is clear on when Fiat will be refreshing the Punto. They have given a statement saying no new launches, so there is some facelift around the corner for sure. W.r.t. the Punto the major thing to look forward to would be the new interiors. If you are okay waiting, i'd say wait till Jan. Things should become clear at the Auto Expo.

Thanks in advance.

My replies are in bold above.

Been noticing renewed interested in the Punto of late with this thread seeing a lot of posts. With Maruti sorting out their problems it will be interesting to see if it continues !

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 21st October 2011 at 15:38.
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2011, 15:51   #3905
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muni View Post
If there are other people buying from bangalore, can you guys send me a PM with your contact numbers so that we can form a group and bargain better. I am hoping against hope that Fiat will give better dissounts for november month. The current discounts have been there for ages now.
Excellent idea! We may all have to book at one dealer then ? I recently saw an ad saying upto 90k discounts on the Punto but was told it's only for petrol. Can anyone confirm this ?
Old 21st October 2011, 16:21   #3906
BHPian

Punt: Unsymetrical from rear?

I dont know if the observation is right but the more I see, the more I am convinced i am right. Punto does not seem symetrical from rear. It is bulged out on the left side, if you are looking from the rear.

Let me know if anyone else also feels the same!

If it is then its a matter of shoddy workmanship or Indianizing a western car in a hurry! The sab kuch chalta hai attitude.
Old 21st October 2011, 16:34   #3907
BHPian

Re: Punt: Unsymetrical from rear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by syravi View Post
I dont know if the observation is right but the more I see, the more I am convinced i am right. Punto does not seem symetrical from rear. It is bulged out on the left side, if you are looking from the rear.

If it is then its a matter of shoddy workmanship or Indianizing a western car in a hurry! The sab kuch chalta hai attitude.
I havent found anything visibly asymmetrical when I checked it out to check for any symmetry related issues. Why dont you try to take some pics to make your doubts talk.
muni is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2011, 16:35   #3908
GSM
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
My replies are in bold above.

Been noticing renewed interested in the Punto of late with this thread seeing a lot of posts. With Maruti sorting out their problems it will be interesting to see if it continues !
Many thanks @Fiat_Tarun!

It clears the air to some extent about the interior upgradation. I was looking at some bright interiors primarily because my better half has motion sickness troubles, which is further aggravated by dark interiors.

The rear bench space is more from "ego" perspective. My next car should be bigger (not just better) than the previous car. Though I am not overly worried about this, since 90% of the time, it will be self drive with only me in the car. Rarely two occupants, and definitely the second one would occupy the front passenger seat.

Can't say for others. I never considered Maruti as an alternative. I had kind of decided to replace my car with either a Ford or Fiat only. (Chevrolet was also under consideration, but not now - Reason: Budget!)

Thanks again for your inputs!
Old 21st October 2011, 16:47   #3909
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSM View Post
Hi All

Thanks in advance.
If youre not in any hurry I would suggest that you wait till the Auto Expo because

1. You will be able to book the new Punto if it gets launched & your resale value will be higher somewhere down the line compared to this version

2. Even if the new Punto does not get launched you will still benefit. Keep in mind it will be a new year end model (2012) as well which will drive up resale value. A Jan 2011 model will be treated the same as a Dec 2011 model in the second hand market.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2011, 16:49   #3910
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Punto does not seem symetrical from rear. It is bulged out on the left side, if you are looking from the rear.
Holy Cow! We somehow failed to detect this serious design flaw while cross checking everything with the Team-BHP PDI Check List during the PDI we did on our Fiat GP two years back!

Jokes aside, Fiat GP looks perfectly symmetrical and undoubtedly one of the best looking cars available in India.

Your observation has something to do with the perspective or rather perspective defects. Period
Klub Class is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2011, 17:38   #3911
BHPian

The thread is buzzing with activity, me been a mute spectator all these days, posting a couple of questions.

1. Will waiting for the new iteration also not pose a risk of unknown failures caused due to the new setup, the car being assembled and bolted up for one first time after the new design changes. (Remember 2009's TBhp reviews where Punto owners then, making lengthy discussions related to various niggles cropping up from unknown in Punto, which we assume for obvious reasons should have been ironed out at Ranjangaon in 2011 production lines).?

2. In my honest opinion, by the time most of the issues (be it technical or non tech) are sorted the newer revision comes up. Is it not worthwhile to select the previous one and be safe ? After all we are bunch of people who follow our heart rather than what the neighbor has to advice about a Nano or a Evo2 ?

3. Does the 90HP punto come with Two fans under the hood, i could witness only one obvious radiator fan and i presumed it doing the duties for both ?, when inquired, the sales guy says the other one is available too but located well inside (Sounded funny and impractical). Could anyone clarify this?

4. How does Concorde Motors Chennai serve their customers, Planning my booking at the fag end of Nov 2011.? Please let me know your views on them, if anyone has been associated with their car from there?
Old 21st October 2011, 18:03   #3912
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

No its not. Its perfectly symmetrical.
Fuel tank lid on the R.H.S makes you feel that way .

I checked at least 6-7 GP's at Fiat service center apart from mine to confirm this.
HammerHead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2011, 18:21   #3913
BHPian

OT: I don't know if I am correct or not, but for last 2/3 weeks, I am seeing some more new puntos on Bangalore road, than before, has the magic started working?
Old 21st October 2011, 19:29   #3914
BHPian

Answers for your questions inline in bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramr9 View Post
The thread is buzzing with activity, me been a mute spectator all these days, posting a couple of questions.

1. Will waiting for the new iteration also not pose a risk of unknown failures caused due to the new setup, the car being assembled and bolted up for one first time after the new design changes. (Remember 2009's TBhp reviews where Punto owners then, making lengthy discussions related to various niggles cropping up from unknown in Punto, which we assume for obvious reasons should have been ironed out at Ranjangaon in 2011 production lines).?

Punto, when launched, never had any major niggles; nothing such as car breaking down on the middle of the road, AC conking off, etc. The issue initially was the sub-standard fit and finish in some areas of the car's interiors. Fiat, in fact, proactively replaced Clutch Save Cylinders for all the cars sold during the initial period. Remember, Punto had already been in other countries for a considerable period, and it wasn't a newly developed and launched product.

2. In my honest opinion, by the time most of the issues (be it technical or non tech) are sorted the newer revision comes up. Is it not worthwhile to select the previous one and be safe ? After all we are bunch of people who follow our heart rather than what the neighbor has to advice about a Nano or a Evo2 ?

As I said before Punto was an established product even before it was launched in India. What you mentioned might relate to cars such as XUV, Aria, etc.

3. Does the 90HP punto come with Two fans under the hood, i could witness only one obvious radiator fan and i presumed it doing the duties for both ?, when inquired, the sales guy says the other one is available too but located well inside (Sounded funny and impractical). Could anyone clarify this?

It's better not to indulge in technical discussions with Tata sales personals, unless you want to have some fun.

4. How does Concorde Motors Chennai serve their customers, Planning my booking at the fag end of Nov 2011.? Please let me know your views on them, if anyone has been associated with their car from there?

Avoid Concorde Motors Chennai at any cost, the service stations overflow, and over worked man power treat your car like zilch, not that other Tata Motor's dealer provide excellent service, in fact all of them are pathetic. I had a fair experience with Tafe Reach, so I would suggest it for you.
CliffHanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2011, 21:39   #3915
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muni View Post

Arkin evoisrevo has said he will put across a word of referral / influence.
Did I?!?
Anyway, you'll find a PM in your inbox asap. (My Inbox is full, yet again!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Prerana has two types - the fiat one w.o the mirror, and the SAI one with color options and integrated onto a hang - on RVM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
OT: I don't know if I am correct or not, but for last 2/3 weeks, I am seeing some more new puntos on Bangalore road, than before, has the magic started working?
I still remember chatting with Praz and you atop Nandi hills about the GP; and I finally got one! That reminds me, I was supposed to have called Praz after getting the car...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramr9 View Post

Yet another one!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
Arkin, I have got the "Got BHP?" sticker to my office and have it in my desk. Since you pass by this route everyday, .......
A big THANKS to Mr Gopi!!!!
Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-040320105241.jpg
Hope to meet you again, with my GP 90.

Most Viewed