Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2009, 10:53   #391
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neotraveller View Post
Can you explain further?
I agree about the defogger ... useful in cold climates.

I always had this doubt regarding the rear-wipers on hatchbacks and not sedans.
But a hatchback has an almost vertical rear windshield, so the water drains off pretty fast. So whats the need for it?
Sedans hardly have it. Whats the logic?
Neotraveller, i found the rear wiper and defogger extremely helpful during the recent rains in bangalore. During the very heavy downpours that happened last month, in the city as well as in the highway(both amidst high traffic), a clear rear view gave me a lot of confidence.
Many of my colleagues too were making fun of me for insisting that my car should have a rear defogger as well as a rear wiper, and thats the reason why i specifically chose i10 Sportz over other cars(hyundai/maruti).

I am extremely happy with the decision. If you live in a region where you expect heavy rains and you drive in high traffic conditions, i suggest you have rear defogger as well as rear wiper. Helps a lot!!
Old 25th June 2009, 11:01   #392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Overall, i was impressed with the car, but the engine is a dampner for me. It does not seem like a proper upgrade for me, since, it barely feels faster than my current ride. If only fiat could provide the same state of tune as the swift, im sure this could be one of the most popular hatches in the country.
It is not just the tune but a perfect matching of Engine and trasnmission even FIAT is unable to achieve on their own engine
Old 25th June 2009, 11:20   #393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
i-10 is no way comparable to G Punto!
For your monthly running of 1100 kms, petrol is good enough!

Punto 1.4 would give you a FE of 11 - 12 kpl, maybe more after the running-in.

Test drive it and then take the final call.
I doubt if it will give anything more than 10kmpl.
Old 25th June 2009, 11:21   #394
Senior - BHPian

@GTO: Everybody is crying about the performance of the engine in Gpunto and Linea. You must have driven both, could you comment the driveablility of both in City. ( I have driven Linea P and never found it hard to drive in city)

Every car need not be fast but the driveability should be good. Whats your take?
Old 25th June 2009, 11:24   #395
BHPian

Agreed that i10 is easier to drive than Punto in the city. But its a smaller car and they are targeted in different segments (price-bracket) and can't be compared directly.
Similarly we should not compare I10 with Swift/i20/getz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The i10 is very much comparable to the Punto and, in fact, better for in city driving:

1. Taller stance = easier ingress + egress
2. Lighter steering. Far lighter.
3. Superior gearshift quality.
4. Way better interior quality.
5. Smaller turning radius.
6. A lot more chuckable (size, light controls, turning radius).
7. Superior after sales.
8. Better FE (petrol).

The Punto also has its advantages in terms of ride, handling, looks, diesel option etc. But the i10 is certainly comparable to the Punto, especially as a city car (which most hatchbacks end up doing 90% of the time).
Old 25th June 2009, 11:42   #396
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
let's not make sweeping statements here. The i10 is very much comparable to the Punto and, in fact, better for in city driving:
As neotraveller pointed out earlier, we are comparing cars in two different segment!
Alto is the best car for City driving, so can we compare Punto and Alto here?
We need to compare Punto against Swift, i20, Fabia etc.
Old 25th June 2009, 11:53   #397
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
As neotraveller pointed out earlier, we are comparing cars in two different segment!
Alto is the best car for City driving, so can we compare Punto and Alto here?
We need to compare Punto against Swift, i20, Fabia etc.
Alto and Punto have a very different interior space as well as available features
I10, i20, Vista, Swift, Fabia, Getz, Punto all come under large hatches.
Fabia and Jazz are top of the range, and Vista etc., are at the bottom of the large hatch range.
Many people looking out for a big hatch will have i10, i20 as well as the Punto in their checklist, but alto will figure nowhere, thats the ultra compact segment, with the M800.
Old 25th June 2009, 11:57   #398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The i10 is very much comparable to the Punto and, in fact, better for in city driving:

1. Taller stance = easier ingress + egress
2. Lighter steering. Far lighter.
3. Superior gearshift quality.
4. Way better interior quality.
5. Smaller turning radius.
6. A lot more chuckable (size, light controls, turning radius).
7. Superior after sales.
8. Better FE (petrol).

The Punto also has its advantages in terms of ride, handling, looks, diesel option etc. But the i10 is certainly comparable to the Punto, especially as a city car (which most hatchbacks end up doing 90% of the time).

I find this a very surprising obeservation, not to mention amusing!

By this yardstick, an i10 should be comparable to the i20 as well, not to mention the wagon r/ zen estilo being comparable to 1-20, fabia, swift and Punto.

I somehow dont think this is the right view to take. we should compare cars in the same segment and not across segments, sinc eeach will have their respective strengths specifically designed to cater to their target audience.

Although there would certainly be an overlap, the target audience by and large would be different for an i 10 and GP.
Old 25th June 2009, 11:57   #399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you explain further?

But a hatchback has an almost vertical rear windshield, so the water drains off pretty fast. So whats the need for it?
I drive a Santro without a rear wiper and a defogger and I feel helpless during the rains. All the slush/dust/muck from the rear wheels go straight to the rear windshield during the rains. This impacts visibility so much that I need to go over and physically clean the windshield every few hours on a long drive. Thats where the rear wiper and washer come in. And the defogger is for the mist thats bound to affect visibility during the rains. Not just in cold climates, but even in a city like Bombay.

IMO, its imperative that all hatchbacks have a rear wiper and defogger.
Old 25th June 2009, 11:58   #400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you explain further?

Neotraveller,

If you live in a place where it rains a lot, the rear windshield can get really clouded. Moreover a lot of muck is thrown up by the tyres which completely covers the rear windshield reducing visibility . A rear windshield wiper and defogger is a big safety feature.
Old 25th June 2009, 12:35   #401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post

Btw, my dealer has agreed to replace my tyres and rims with that of emotion pk tyres and alloys,I don't know how he said that, but he was very sure that he could do that for me.
How much are you being charged for this? I was interested in this, but missed checking with any of the sales guys
Old 25th June 2009, 12:42   #402
BHPian

I had been to the TAFE showroom on Mount Road and saw the Punto in flesh for the first time. Right next to it was a Palio Stile. Just going by the exteriors, I felt the Palio Stile looks better than the Punto. I might be in the minority on this topic .

Disclaimer: I own a Palio but the older version not the Stile.
Old 25th June 2009, 12:50   #403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Overall, i was impressed with the car, but the engine is a dampner for me. It does not seem like a proper upgrade for me, since, it barely feels faster than my current ride.
Whats your current ride? Just to get an idea of which car you are comparing the Punto to.
Old 25th June 2009, 13:06   #404
BHPian

Quote:
Can you explain further?

Actually, its the other way round. The airflow over the car's body at speed is dependent on the shape of the car. The shape of hatchbacks causes a turbulent zone over the rear glass, so that spray (mud/water) from the road lands on the glass, hindering rear vision. Therefore a rear wiper is useful on wet roads, even if it is not actually raining. This is seldom an issue on a sedan. The air flows smoothly over a sedan's boot and its generally steeper rear screen (than a hatchback) minimising the amount of muck/water/other residue.

This has been substantiated well by iPai, Lalvaz & Rajneesh. Hence,It is just not a 'can have' but a 'must have' for all hatchbacks/estates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPai View Post
Neotraveller, i found the rear wiper and defogger extremely helpful during the recent rains in bangalore. During the very heavy downpours that happened last month, in the city as well as in the highway(both amidst high traffic), a clear rear view gave me a lot of confidence.
If you live in a region where you expect heavy rains and you drive in high traffic conditions, i suggest you have rear defogger as well as rear wiper. Helps a lot!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
I drive a Santro without a rear wiper and a defogger and I feel helpless during the rains. All the slush/dust/muck from the rear wheels go straight to the rear windshield during the rains. This impacts visibility so much that I need to go over and physically clean the windshield every few hours on a long drive. Thats where the rear wiper and washer come in. And the defogger is for the mist thats bound to affect visibility during the rains. Not just in cold climates, but even in a city like Bombay.

IMO, its imperative that all hatchbacks have a rear wiper and defogger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
Neotraveller,

If you live in a place where it rains a lot, the rear windshield can get really clouded. Moreover a lot of muck is thrown up by the tyres which completely covers the rear windshield reducing visibility . A rear windshield wiper and defogger is a big safety feature.

Last edited by roms : 25th June 2009 at 13:09.
Old 25th June 2009, 13:21   #405
BHPian

Test drives started in Pune from Today. Will head to the showroom after office.

Ive been waiting for this for so long!

Im sorry for going off topic here but was just wondering, when you pete a SWIFT, PALIO, PUNTO etc would they end up performing the same?

OR

Is the performance gained after Pete'ing relative to the initial performance of the vehicle.

I'm guessing the engine performance would be same but the overall performance may differ due to the different gear ratios. Is this assumption correct?

Last edited by khan_sultan : 25th June 2009 at 13:54. Reason: back to back posts

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks