Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2011, 21:00   #4036
BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by samigo View Post
After having owned 3 supercars from Maruti (800, Zen, Swift), I finally took a test drive of Punto Diesel. I was under the impression that my ex-Swift(stolen :-() was the unbeatable rocker in the diesel segment eventhough it shared the same Fiat MJD. Friends, I was totally wrong. I have booked Punto Diesel emotion pk eyes closed. Simply mind-blowing, refined and smooth ride on bumpy roads.

Regards,
Sameer.
Dear Sameer, congrats and welcome to punto owners club.I fully agree that there is no car like this car in its segment.
My punto has scored 44k in 17 months of its owners without any glitches at all
The occasional pain owing to the Tata-Fiat after sales ,though they have really improved in last year or so.
I am planning for second car for my parents ,punto is my choice without batting an eyelid
Though the car for my parents would be chauffeur driven still i cant think of any other car

Last edited by GTO : 28th November 2011 at 10:57. Reason: Fixing quote
Old 27th November 2011, 08:39   #4037
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

My punto has scored 44k in 17 months of its owners without any glitches at all
The occasional pain owing to the Tata-Fiat after sales ,though they have really improved in last year or so.
I am planning for second car for my parents ,punto is my choice without batting an eyelid
Though the car for my parents would be chauffeur driven still i cant think of any other car
Super decision, Owing a Punto is really GREAT!!!
Old 28th November 2011, 13:15   #4038
BHPian

Guys, I have a month old 90 Hp. I have an issue with wind noise, creeping in from the driver side window/quarter glass area, whenever i reach speeds in excess of 80Kph. I can't find where the beading is loose/miss-fit. Any idea ,on how to stop it ? I vaguely remember some one reporting the same issue. Please report the solution if anyone has solved it!!

Thanks!
Old 28th November 2011, 13:18   #4039
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pusako View Post
Guys, I have a month old 90 Hp. I have an issue with wind noise, creeping in from the driver side window/quarter glass area, whenever i reach speeds in excess of 80Kph. I can't find where the beading is loose/miss-fit. Any idea ,on how to stop it ? I vaguely remember some one reporting the same issue. Please report the solution if anyone has solved it!!

Thanks!
Wind noise is normal in Punto. Drive it back to back with another car to check if it is louder in your car.

Last edited by .anshuman : 28th November 2011 at 13:20.
Old 28th November 2011, 13:23   #4040
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samigo View Post
Hi Raj,
Swift Likes:
- Sporty look

Swift Dislikes:
- Very noisy and literally crashes into potholes. Makes long drive very stressful.

Punto Likes:
- Sporty and sleek design. Looks chilly hot in red

Punto Dislikes:
- Dashboard and integrated music system looks very dull.
Overall, I'm impressed with this Italian chick but not that it totally owns the Swift ;-)
Regards,
Sameer.
Nice to know that a Swift owner liked Punto. Many people just keep on bashing the interiors and the pickup. Punto has got a linear pick up as compared to Swift and the most awesome thing is "Steering feedback". Its just too good that you feel like you are a part of the car itself.

Last edited by Amartya : 26th January 2012 at 02:13. Reason: Edited the large quoted post. Just makes it easier to read. Cheers.
Old 28th November 2011, 15:00   #4041
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pusako View Post

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Wind noise is normal in Punto. Drive it back to back with another car to check if it is louder in your car.
Yes wind noise is present in all puntos. It is not from the window but from the mirrors. It is present at speeds above 80kmph. Mirror design is the culprit. I could hear the sound as a driver and as a co-driver meaning from both mirrors.

However my Linea which has the same mirrors (they look similar) the wind noise is not present below 100kmph. Not sure of the reason though.
figo_mba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2011, 15:23   #4042
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_mba View Post
Yes wind noise is present in all puntos. It is not from the window but from the mirrors. It is present at speeds above 80kmph. Mirror design is the culprit. I could hear the sound as a driver and as a co-driver meaning from both mirrors.

However my Linea which has the same mirrors (they look similar) the wind noise is not present below 100kmph. Not sure of the reason though.
I have driven my friends T-Jet which had the same problem. Kind of "whooosh" sound as if the glass isnt closed properly. It came only from the driver side - so in this particular case culprit might not be mirrors.

The noise was absolutely annoying and can be termed as a "niggle" which Fiats seem notorious for.

My friend showed the car repeatedly to Fiat service and they acknowledge its a problem but don't have any solution for.
Old 28th November 2011, 16:43   #4043
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 8th December 2011 at 10:50.
wannabe loser is offline   Received Infraction
Old 29th November 2011, 09:48   #4044
BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Kerb Weight reduction

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie007 View Post
Similarly, the reviews by Auto magazines were done with the heavier G.P with the 1.3 MJD tipping the scales at a whopping 1190 kgs. After the removal of the stabilizer bar from the rear suspension, the kerb weight has reduced by 60kgs (~5%) to 1130 kgs. Keeping this in mind I’ve reworked the acceleration figures of the 1.3 MJD taken from Auto Car India magazine.

I’ve taken the minimum of 5% reduction to arrive at reasonable figures for the expected acceleration times. You can see that for the Aria the acceleration figures (especially 0-60kmph & in-gear acceleration) reduce considerably more in proportion to the percentage of kerb weight reduction.
Now those are impressive numbers.
Look at the in gear acceleration man !
its very quick, quicker than Swift.

for reference :
i20's in gear timings :

20-80 in 3rd gear : 15.51 secs
40-100 in 4th gear : 19.01 secs
(Autocar timings)

any idea about the 90HP variant ?
Old 29th November 2011, 13:27   #4045
Senior - BHPian

^^ strangely though, ACI says the in-gear acceleration figures of the 90 HP is slower than the 76HP version.

Any logical explanation for this, or is just a typo ? If only Fiat had sorted out the gearbox, the 90HP would've been a real performer!

Last edited by shashank.nk : 29th November 2011 at 13:28.
Old 30th November 2011, 11:55   #4046
BHPian

I am also going to enter into this GP club.. Getting a White, 90HP 2011 car from a colleague.

Wondering everybody follows 15k oil change. Already ran 8000km, is it better to change by 10k, considering that previous owner's driving style is not known.

Also planning to get the WA/WB/Rotation done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
The engine guard is one single feature that gives me courage to take her places.
Is this Engine Guard comes default with the car, or an accessory?

Last edited by Twiny : 30th November 2011 at 11:57.
Old 30th November 2011, 11:58   #4047
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiny
Is this Engine Guard comes default with the car, or an accessory?
The engine guard is a factory fitment and NOT an accessory.

We do follow the 15k oil change religiously.
Klub Class is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2011, 12:06   #4048
BHPian

Thanks Klub Class, is the recommended schedule is 15k or 12months.
Old 30th November 2011, 12:33   #4049
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiny View Post
The answer is in your question.

15K Kms or 12 Months, whichever comes first.

And congratulations. Join the club .
gp_fanatico is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 00:01   #4050
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiny View Post
You need to take your car for service when you complete 15K km or 12 months after your last service. Engine oil change is mandatory at this point. (the check-up at 3K km is not taken into account).

The oil in my car was changed when I completed 12 months of ownership - although my car had done only about 12.5K km by that time and I had also opted for an oil change at 3K check-up.
StarrySky is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed