Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2011, 15:48   #4051
BANNED

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

I just saw a new ad in the TV while watching One day match that Punto now start with just 3.63 lakh only. What diesel Punto active should start with given petrol Punto at 3.63 L ?
Linea start with Just 5.55 lakh.

Last edited by jacksons : 2nd December 2011 at 15:53.
Old 2nd December 2011, 22:34   #4052
BHPian

I got to read in the manual, in petrol/diesel engine starting procedure, just before cranking it is mentioned to press the clutch fully without touching accelerator. Why do you think need of a full press of clutch pedal?
Old 2nd December 2011, 23:01   #4053
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksons View Post
I just saw a new ad in the TV while watching One day match that Punto now start with just 3.63 lakh only. What diesel Punto active should start with given petrol Punto at 3.63 L ?
Linea start with Just 5.55 lakh.
Exactly what I marked. It was 3.87 lakhs for punto few days back. Further price cut ?

I guess the slow selling petrol fiats are getting the extra discount. Diesel should be atleast 1 lakh higher for equivalent models. 5 lakhs for active ?
Old 3rd December 2011, 21:55   #4054
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiny View Post
I got to read in the manual, in petrol/diesel engine starting procedure, just before cranking it is mentioned to press the clutch fully without touching accelerator. Why do you think need of a full press of clutch pedal?
Hi twiny,i dont think pressing clutch is absolutely necessary before starting(i may be wrong),saw it only in some maruti vehicles.
Another question to regulars- my engine has freed up after 10k and now hear a particularly nice whoosh after 2-2.5k on tacho.heard mainly with windows slightly down and think its quite sharp for people outside as often grabs their attention.have not noticed it on friends puntos or other MJDs.I know it must be turbo spooling/waste gate but does noisier one precludes any problem?
Also thanks to poor roads in kerela,my ride quality has come down slightly.also noticed slight jitteriness in handling while lane changing at good speeds.mentioned this to SA while on a trip to dealer for some other reason and he didnt agree to a service job for just check up of suspension.any pointers?

Last edited by aditya116 : 3rd December 2011 at 21:57.
Old 3rd December 2011, 22:31   #4055
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya116 View Post
Hi twiny,i dont think pressing clutch is absolutely necessary before starting(i may be wrong),saw it only in some maruti vehicles.
Another question to regulars- my engine has freed up after 10k and now hear a particularly nice whoosh after 2-2.5k on tacho.heard mainly with windows slightly down and think its quite sharp for people outside as often grabs their attention.have not noticed it on friends puntos or other MJDs.I know it must be turbo spooling/waste gate but does noisier one precludes any problem?
Also thanks to poor roads in kerela,my ride quality has come down slightly.also noticed slight jitteriness in handling while lane changing at good speeds.mentioned this to SA while on a trip to dealer for some other reason and he didnt agree to a service job for just check up of suspension.any pointers?
Sounds like there is some leak in the tubes to the turbo, that's why you are getting that sound. Book an appointment with TASS and get both your issues checked.
Old 4th December 2011, 01:03   #4056
BHPian

Quote:
Hardly there seems to be a connection with Starter motor or else, neither the Punto features a Clutch lock system(=Clutch should be depressed to crank the engine).
IMHO, Fiat is just specifying it as a Safety measure for accidental In-Gear cranking of the engine.
Old 4th December 2011, 11:28   #4057
BANNED

Quote:
IMHO, Fiat is just specifying it as a Safety measure for accidental In-Gear cranking of the engine.
Quite right, its only precautionary majors so, someone doesn't knock anything in front or back close to the car.
Old 4th December 2011, 11:54   #4058
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRtorquefan View Post
Hardly there seems to be a connection with Starter motor or else, neither the Punto features a Clutch lock system(=Clutch should be depressed to crank the engine).
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksons View Post
Quite right, its only precautionary majors so, someone doesn't knock anything in front or back close to the car.
Depressing the clutch has another important reason too, it makes it easier to start the car. Even when the vehicle is in neutral, the starter motor still has to crank the engine as well as the gearbox. However, if you depress the clutch while starting, the gearbox is detached & all the starter motor has to do is crank the engine. This reduces the load on the starter motor & thus wear on the components.
raj_5004 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th December 2011, 20:01   #4059
BANNED

Thanks Raj for this great information and now on I will try do that. Thanks again
Old 4th December 2011, 20:13   #4060
BHPian

Heres one useful feature i think not posted before.got this from a colleague when my fuel cap jammed and i had to pry it gently(ended up breaking the small plastic part which keeps it locked in place).
If your fuel tank lever refuses to open and offers resistance, just pop open the boot and on the inside behind to wheel arch is located this thread which directly unlocks the lever.
My colleague got this info from the dealer after facing similar problem.anyway had to spend 700 rupees (not to mention the waiting for a simple part which took 2 months) as they couldnt fix just the small plastic rod and had to change the entire fuel cap housing.they have made a poor job of fitting it and needs a precise slap from me to get it shut.such lackadasical attitude is only seen these TATA-FIAT dealers.
And one more thing,the OE graphics are available also in silver contrary to the red the have put up in the website.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-aimg_4052.jpg  

aditya116 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2011, 20:46   #4061
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Depressing the clutch has another important reason too, it makes it easier to start the car. Even when the vehicle is in neutral, the starter motor still has to crank the engine as well as the gearbox. However, if you depress the clutch while starting, the gearbox is detached & all the starter motor has to do is crank the engine. This reduces the load on the starter motor & thus wear on the components.
I heard depressing clutch fully while cranking also saves some amount of fuel in buses - might apply for cars as well. Since then I always make sure to crank while the clutch is fully pressed. Even if the saving is not much, let's all contribute to it.
Old 4th December 2011, 21:42   #4062
Senior - BHPian

Post deleted. Please follow the rules from announcement section.

11. Team-BHP maintains a strong stand against drinking & driving, underage driving and street racing. Posts that don't abide by this view, or containing ANY alcohol content (in text or pictures, directly or indirectly), will not be entertained on the forum. This rule affects all posts from 1st Jan 2009 onwards.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 5th December 2011 at 20:07.
raj_5004 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th December 2011, 19:15   #4063
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya116 View Post

1. Any significant change in acceleration beyond 2K rpm? Increase in black smoke emission? Increase in NVH levels? These are few symptoms of Turbo problems. TASS can verify it by connecting the examiner.

2. Re-Check Tyre pressure and wear, wheel alignment and balancing.
Old 8th December 2011, 22:05   #4064
Distinguished - BHPian

Hormazd tweets that Evo upgrade has been indefinitely postponed! Looks like a bad move. So what do they plan to do in between to keep the brand alive?
Old 9th December 2011, 14:53   #4065
BHPian

Seat Height Adjuster Lever

Hi Anyone Replaced the Seat Height Adjuster Lever, It comes in the emotion pack variant. Mine broke when the Carnation folks messed it up while I had given them for a wash.

I just checked with service center the part is available but costs 3.5k, would it cost so much just for a lever.

Any inputs will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Samsan02

Most Viewed