Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2012, 13:44   #4126
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Okay, even better. I already have the full size IND plates, I dont have to buy a new one.

Ohh, I dint know the grille was that cheap. You bought it for Rs. 500/- from the FIAT A.S.S.?

I anyways have to paint the centre portion (between the grilles) or do you recommend stickering there also?
Raj,

I would like to correct one mistake in my last post...its 500 per piece and not for both pieces..I checked my expense sheet and i'd given Rs 1000/- in total for the grilles.
Sorry for the wrong info. And yes, I bought the genuine Fiat spares from the A.S.S and they fitted them free of cost.

I personally would recommend stickering for the space between grilles also.
I had got it done for my friend's punto (to mask a scratch) and the finish is very good.
With paint, getting a good finish is difficult and also going back to the original colour will be difficult or expensive.

Your second edit with the plates looks good...but finally its your call.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2012, 21:09   #4127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
What exactly does this policy card contain? Let me know so that I can check if I have also got it.
Here's the certificate. The only essential thing I noticed is the "policy number".
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-image-17.jpg  

sourav21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2012, 21:04   #4128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav21 View Post
Here's the certificate. The only essential thing I noticed is the "policy number".
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
I got the booklet today, after 1 year of ownership!

There was a system problem due to which many extended warranty bookelts were pending.
Took time today to read out the extended warranty booklet.
As mentioned by sourav21 it is actually an insurance.

@raj_5004, Does your booklet also contains this?

The insurance is a set of 4 self copying pages attached to the main booklet.
The dealer has kept three copies for his records and left one for me.
Below are the pictures (from my mobile camera) of important pages from the 12 page booklet.

Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-3.jpg
Cover

Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-2.jpg
First Page

Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-1.jpg
Insurance copy

One important point:
It has the "parts included", "exclusions" and "conditions" sheets wherein its clearly mentioned that accident claims cannot be made with this insurance.
Old 18th January 2012, 21:53   #4129
BHPian

Quote:
Saw the below post on Fiat India facebook page

"Hi all Fiat followers and existing customers - the request wth respect to upgrading ground clearance for older versions of Linea and Punto, is going to be fulfilled almost on an immediate basis across India and the service centers will be able to do the upgrade the cars at a cost. Then you can place a request with your service center and get the benefit of the product updation in your older cars also. Hope this helps in enhancing the drive experience of the Linea and Punto further for our existing customers."

What a great example this is to all other OEMs in the country.

All the best Fiat
Gents , anybody aware what will be the cost involved . i have a May 2011 Punto and i regularly travel to my native in Himachal , where she regularly scraps at least once or twice on the way to hills .
Old 19th January 2012, 06:51   #4130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
Gents , anybody aware what will be the cost involved . i have a May 2011 Punto and i regularly travel to my native in Himachal , where she regularly scraps at least once or twice on the way to hills .
Nothing!! if you scrape only at the engine sump guard. Depends on what angle you take the car in too!
headers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2012, 10:17   #4131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@raj_5004, Does your booklet also contains this?
Mine is a bit different. Its from a different firm.
Old 19th January 2012, 13:36   #4132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Nothing!! if you scrape only at the engine sump guard. Depends on what angle you take the car in too!
do you mean that there is no cost involved in upgrade . I Only scrap the Engine Sump Guard some times. Have kept a eye on damage and it;s not even noticeable with minor scratches here or there. Angle of approach hardly matters as Road is being re-laid by NHAI vendor and is filled with craters deep enough to gulp down a BUS tyre. Hopefully they will complete it soon as only few bridges are left . but it gets very nasty in rains where everything Skids due to slush & Mud on the road
Old 19th January 2012, 14:44   #4133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
do you mean that there is no cost involved in upgrade . I Only scrap the Engine Sump Guard some times. Have kept a eye on damage and it;s not even noticeable with minor scratches here or there. Angle of approach hardly matters as Road is being re-laid by NHAI vendor and is filled with craters deep enough to gulp down a BUS tyre. Hopefully they will complete it soon as only few bridges are left . but it gets very nasty in rains where everything Skids due to slush & Mud on the road
Yeah, I mean there is no cost if the sump guard is not damaged physically bent or otherwise.

Again, the angle of approach to a pothole matters. Try the same stretch of road with different angles of approach and you will definitely agree with me.

I do a similar stretch where even a Bolero driven carelessly will make noises!!

The Punto is a great car and its handling is among the best available!

The service network and FIAT INDIA leave a lot to be desired though!
Old 19th January 2012, 15:28   #4134
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
do you mean that there is no cost involved in upgrade .
Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Yeah, I mean there is no cost if the sump guard is not damaged physically bent or otherwise!
Seems you both are talking about different things.
.sushilkumar is talking about the cost of GC increase of his pre-2012 model to match that of the 2012 models.
headers is talking about the engine guard repair cost, which is in no way linked to the GC upgrade thing

Fiat have not yet come out with the cost of the GC upgrade for pre-2012 models.
headers, if I'm wrong, please tell the forum if we are missing something and the cost for the upgrade is known.
Old 19th January 2012, 15:34   #4135
BHPian

^^ you are correct Hemanth. I have a May 2011 Punto and wanted to increase the G C , hence checking cost involved . even i mis understood headers here , Apologies .

Between my punto is behaving superb. my Dad to whom i gifted is absolutely happy wrt to service and spares . some drunk trailer on new year eve has hit my punto on driver side front and there was a considerable damage to right side head lamps and front Fendors. Same were replaced in 2 weeks flat and FIAT even offered him a Loan car for 2 weeks .cost some 11 K . this includes others minor paint touchup;s here or there as well.
.sushilkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2012, 17:42   #4136
Senior - BHPian

OK guys - I misunderstood .sushilkumar's post - Sorry!!

BTW, a simple way to increase GC is to remove the Sway bar or antiroll bar - but this will impact ride and handling - personally NOT RECOMMENDED.

Also, have seen a Punto running 19" wheels here in chennai - definitely had a higher GC than my 2010 GP EP. I dont have measurables though!
Old 21st January 2012, 21:00   #4137
Senior - BHPian

Guys,
I've been offered a 2011 Punto 90HP EP, the car has around 1K KMS on the ODO. Been offered a flat 1L discount. I will get the VIN to figure out which month the car is manufactured. The glasses did have 2011 printed on it and had Apollo Acelere tires.

Does it make sense to go in for it? I will be going over to the showroom tomorrow to negotiate further, I did have a look at the car and it seems to be well maintained, no scratches etc. Could not drive it as it was very late in the evening.

What more can I ask for? They have told me that the car will be given a complete polish and exterior treatment before handing over to me. Personally I prefer the dark interiors of the older car over the lightened interiors of the 2012 model.

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 21st January 2012 at 21:02.
Old 21st January 2012, 21:14   #4138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Guys,
I've been offered a 2011 Punto 90HP EP, the car has around 1K KMS on the ODO. Been offered a flat 1L discount. I will get the VIN to figure out which month the car is manufactured. The glasses did have 2011 printed on it and had Apollo Acelere tires.

Does it make sense to go in for it?

Thanks
A flat 1l discount is indeed very tempting. However, 1k on the odo seems to be on the higher side. Is the dealer able to explain how its been used ? Is there anyway you can verify if the car hasn't been mishandled in these 1k kms?

If your sure of the car's usage history, and find no reason to worry i'd say go ahead with it! See if you can negotiate further to bring the price down so that you can throw those stock speakers away and get decent comps.

The 90HP is a brilliant car! I've driven more than 50 kms when i went on a VERY long TD and i fell in love with it. You simply have to experience the dynamics on a highway to know how good the car is! The steering almost speaks to you as you enter a corner.

I'm sure your aware and have already considered the downsides to this car. The short gearing is not so much of a bother, i found it helpful in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

All the best with your decision
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2012, 21:23   #4139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk

A flat 1l discount is indeed very tempting. However, 1k on the odo seems to be on the higher side. Is the dealer able to explain how its been used ? Is there anyway you can verify if the car hasn't been mishandled in these 1k

All the best with your decision
Thanks so much for the prompt response. As of now I dunno how d car has been treated in those 1k kms. I suspect that it was used as a test drive vehicle, but most puntos I hav TD'D had their speedos disconnected, so dunno abt this.

Yes I am aware of the cars short comings but d positives do out weigh them.
Old 21st January 2012, 21:51   #4140
Senior - BHPian

Any idea what size is a Fiat Grande Punto front disc rotor? Thanks in anticipation.

Most Viewed