Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2012, 23:49   #4261
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Guys, is it advisable to take the car for a 2,000km trip immediately after taking delivery?
If I were you, I would NOT ! But looks like you have to take it out, so

1. Make sure you keep it below 2500 rpm
2. Absolutely NO hard accelerations and braking till 1000 kms!
3. Take a break every 2 hours
4. Make sure you do a check on everything before travel - wipers, washer fluid, all lights, A/C, tyre pressure, stereo, power windows [all 4] etc.
5. Take the details of all A$$ en-route & their exact locations
6. Identify the BEST pumps en-route and make sure to fill only from these, top up with a tyre pressure check during your tank fill.
7. Make sure you drive with No stereo & windows rolled up for around 10 kms in some empty stretches and check for any abnormal sounds.
8. Make sure you idle the car after parking for 1 minute before you switch off - This is very much needed if you have run the car above 2000 rpm for a good time. Good to idle for 30-60s once you start the car & before you drive off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
I had a few rattling noises as well...
I have been reading rattling issues about Puntos. What exactly does rattle? interior parts? Was it an issue with some old models ONLY or with new ones as well? Do you know the reasons why it happens and is there any permanent solution to it?

Quote:
Guys, got my Punto delivered today. Have given my baby, alloys and Yoko C-drives, already could sense the comfort of the Yokos.
And you decide NOT to share us any pics?? Or you want us to get a glimpse of your ride in some magical locations?? Anyway, please treat us with some "Santhosh Sivan" style camera captures. Congrats man! Have a great time!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 10th February 2012 at 00:03.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2012, 00:29   #4262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I have been reading rattling issues about Puntos. What exactly does rattle? interior parts? Was it an issue with some old models ONLY or with new ones as well? Do you know the reasons why it happens and is there any permanent solution to it?
My experience with my 2010 Punto:

1. Rattle from loose plastic part on left C-pillar. Fixed by A.S.S and has not occurred since.

2. Faint noise on bad roads which seems to be coming from left front door pad. It's audible only when music and AC are OFF (which is almost never in my car). A.S.S said they would need to open the doorpad and would need a day. Maybe I'll get it check at the next service.

3. A "metal" noise coming from the rear, probably suspension parts, occassionally on bad/uneven roads. I haven't taken the car to the A.S.S yet for this issue.

EDIT: My car is nearly 18 months and more than 18K old.

Last edited by StarrySky : 10th February 2012 at 00:34.
StarrySky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2012, 01:13   #4263
h14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger
Guys, is it advisable to take the car for a 2,000km trip immediately after taking delivery?
You can very well take it for the trip. No issues at all. In fact, a friend of mine did Coimbatore to Bhutan and back in his brand new Linea MJD. The entire journey was close to 10,000 kms. Best part is that he did his first service at about 5000 kms on his way to Bhutan.

So have no worries and enjoy your trip!

And, by the way, many congratulations on your new ride!

Last edited by h14 : 10th February 2012 at 01:17.
h14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2012, 05:24   #4264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky

3. A "metal" noise coming from the rear, probably suspension parts, occassionally on bad/uneven roads. I haven't taken the car to the A.S.S yet for this issue.

EDIT: My car is nearly 18 months and more than 18K old.
In my friends Punto there was a metal noise from the rear, but eventually traced to a loose screw in the seat locking mechanism. The screw bad worked itself loose and also stopped the seat from being folded. Once the problem was discovered, fix took 5 minutes
autocrat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th February 2012, 11:47   #4265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
OMG!

Absolutely the same issues in my car too -

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
My experience with my 2010 Punto:

1. Rattle from loose plastic part on left C-pillar. Fixed by A.S.S and has not occurred since.

2. Faint noise on bad roads which seems to be coming from left front door pad. It's audible only when music and AC are OFF (which is almost never in my car). A.S.S said they would need to open the doorpad and would need a day. Maybe I'll get it check at the next service.

Also, some faint noise coming from the dashboard.

When I say rattling, i mean its a very faint rattling which can be heard only on rough roads with music & ACC off.
Old 10th February 2012, 11:57   #4266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had taken my new Diesel car for a 600 KM trip when the ODO was at around 350. I don't think a long drive is a problem. I practiced the following.
  1. No hard accelerations. Coast through all the gears as much as possible with a light foot. It is not the KPH that matters, but the engine RPM. No problem as long as the engine is relaxed.
  2. Do not keep the engine at the same RPM for too long. Vary the Tacho reading from time to time. Sticking to 2K RPM all day long is bad.
  3. Do take breaks in between.
  4. No long idling.
  5. And keep in mind that it is not just the engine but all parts are new and need to bed in. So avoid sudden load on brakes, suspension etc as much as possible. Coasting while keeping an ample gap to the guy in front is the best thing to do.
  6. Get back and do an engine oil and filter change.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2012, 22:12   #4267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Also, some faint noise coming from the dashboard.

When I say rattling, i mean its a very faint rattling which can be heard only on rough roads with music & ACC off.
I sometimes get a faint noise from somewhere behind the steering wheel, like some plastic parts vibrating fast against each other or against metal. But, this occurs very rarely on good roads when I'm doing about 60kmph and it does not occur at speeds above or below that. Since it happens only at particular speed, the SA mentioned it could be tied to vibrations at that speed and it could be some plastic tubing rubbing against each other.
StarrySky is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2012, 22:50   #4268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
Update!!
Fiat's CSM came down to Pune to have a close look at my car and he confirmed paint issues. He assured me that Fiat will take care of the same and I need not worry. Fiat's personnel, someone from paint dept. will be inspecting my car soon. I will keep you guys posted.
Sorry for the long post!

Today Fiat's paint & quality top officials came down to inspect my car. They confirmed paint issues on the rear bumper. Though very minor, they offered me to either polish it thoroughly or repaint it. I went for the second option

Regarding paint 'chipping off' at 3 places on the body panels, they said its because of stone hitting at high speed and assured me that it will not escalate to corrosion. They assured me to fix it any time if it escalates to something major.

Fiat's CSM was very helpful. He took complete ownership of this issue and behaved as if its his own car. At times he was more concern then me!! He took full assurance from his quality and paint team.

Service center manager assured to fix any problems related to this issue in case it gets escalated.

I returned with smile on my face and completely satisfied with the way Fiat officials handled this case. Thumps up to Fiat .

In mean time one of their technician at the service center fixed all minor rattling sounds. He seems to be knowing the product very well. A drive of 1KM and he identified 3 reasons for those sounds and fixed them within 15 to 20 mins.

They also offered me to replace clutch plate as the clutch seems to be hard to press though for me it was just fine!! They think there might be some wear and tear.

One more thing, reverse gear was not engaging properly. I'm sure most of us are facing this issue with Punto. They acknowledged it and will fix it when I give my car for bumper repainting.

What else does one want!!

Last edited by HammerHead : 10th February 2012 at 22:54.
HammerHead is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th February 2012, 23:02   #4269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for the long post!

They also offered me to replace clutch plate as the clutch seems to be hard to press though for me it was just fine!! They think there might be some wear and tear.

One more thing, reverse gear was not engaging properly. I'm sure most of us are facing this issue with Punto. They acknowledged it and will fix it when I give my car for bumper repainting.

Exactly what more does one want. Kudos to Fiat for going out of their way to accommodate you.
Makes me feel I've made a right choice in opting for the Punto.

And such long posts are always welcome.
hiren.mistry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2012, 23:18   #4270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead

Sorry for the long post!

Today Fiat's paint & quality top officials came down to inspect my car. They confirmed paint issues on the rear bumper.
===============
This is the torch bearer post for fiat's commitment to india and its customers. Very happy to read your post.
Old 11th February 2012, 06:49   #4271
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fiat's CSM was very helpful. He took complete ownership of this issue and behaved as if its his own car. At times he was more concern then me!! He took full assurance from his quality and paint team.
Thats nice - It sucks here in Chennai though!

FIAT does not know or understand Customers. The product is superior to competition and hence the ability to withstand abuse!!

Maybe you should forward this to him
Old 11th February 2012, 17:05   #4272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Thats nice - It sucks here in Chennai though!
I think me being in Pune, ~ 65KM from their plant (Ranjangaon) helped them to come down and inspect!!
I have asked them to join T-BHP, one of them noted down my handle too. They are aware of T-BHP

By the way I'm a very difficult customer. I made Sony Electronics area manager come down to my house in Goa from Mumbai to check 'vibration' issues of our 29" TV some 3 years back. Also made Honda's dealership manager come down to Goa from Noida to solve delivery issues of our Activa some 2-3 years back!!

Last edited by HammerHead : 11th February 2012 at 17:12.
HammerHead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2012, 16:04   #4273
BHPian

Guys, drove 1800km in 3 days on my brand new Punto.

What can I say, I just fell in love with this Italian Masterpiece all over again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharma_sanjeevi View Post
Congratulation Buddy..!!
Best of luck.
Thanks mate. Owned a red and owning a red again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Dayummm!
Thanks mate. Yoko C-drives are absolutely delightful. You are going to love it for sure.

And yes, the ownership report for this Italian Piece of Art is coming soon!

Quote:
If I were you, I would NOT ! Congrats man! Have a great time!
Thanks mate for your wishes.

Last edited by CliffHanger : 14th February 2012 at 16:23.
Old 14th February 2012, 22:14   #4274
BHPian

Took a TD of 75 bhp punto (2012) . It is steady like anything , feels well planted even at 110 km/hr. But the 1st , 2nd and 3rd gears disappointed me . The 2nd dies at 70 km/hr , 3rd at 110 . But onething to notice was the smoothness of the engine . Never felt that it was under strain . Braking was excellent even better than linea T-jet . Fit and finish was better when compared to 2011 punto.
swathyd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2012, 06:36   #4275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swathyd View Post
feels well planted even at 110 km/hr. But the 1st , 2nd and 3rd gears disappointed me . The 2nd dies at 70 km/hr , 3rd at 110 . But onething to notice was the smoothness of the engine . Never felt that it was under strain . Braking was excellent even better than linea T-jet . Fit and finish was better when compared to 2011 punto.
Next time try a slalom at 110 and you will LOVE FIAT for the steering and its response.
headers is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks