Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2012, 12:59   #4756
BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
How are the brakes holding up on your car? My car's pads were changed at 15K service which I thought was a rip off. Did the ASC tell you anything about their condition?

My car is at 26.5K now and 30K service is around the corner.
Brake pad life depends hugely on your driving style. Punto's brake pads are softer and wear off quite early. I find this acceptable since it's got a strong braking ability. However I changed my stock brake pads at 39K and it easily had another 2-3K life left in them. So if the SA insists to change the brake pads please check it yourself before asking him to change it. Punto's service manual states to check and replace Brake pads at every 15K and this may be the reason for ASC's to get this done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Was thinking about going to Ignite, for issues faced in between services. Will it affect warranty if I adhere to regular service at TATA, and do a mid-term check with Ignite? How would they know?

Guys, one question I forgot to ask? How audible is your music system outside the car? Mine is clearly audible outside even at volume 12 (stock system). When call comes, ring can be heard very very loud outside. Its like the whole car is a giant phone, ringing. Shocked since sound insulation from outside to inside is too good, why not other way round!
Why would you want to visit Ignite and pay for fixing those issues when your car is under warranty. As Ramesh has already quoted TAFE is the best ASC you can get for Fiat. I've been to all of them except Concorde, Ambattur and I can tell you that Concorde ECR is the worst place any car can get serviced.
teky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2012, 13:43   #4757
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Great. This is what will make us smile at the end of the day and forget about the shoddy work by the Tata Guys.
Have been preparing my ownership thread - and 'high speed stability' was the first point in my 'likes' list.

Will be posting the review tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
The ringer/phone volume can be turn down using the player's menu settings. It's default is 16 I think .

EDIT: after reading your feedback about the Concorde service, and considering the "Location" of your profile, IMO the next time, you should consider giving it in Kulathunkal perhaps.
But music is pretty loud on the outside too. 200% more than what i had in my WagonR. Speakers being on the door pads are to blame for this?

I will be giving it in Trivandrum (Had a fantastic experience with Mohandas too, for a link rod issue)- if there is any chance of my visit co-inciding with service timings. But unfortunately - its already 4700 kms on the odo, and I wont be visiting Kerala till june end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by teky View Post
Why would you want to visit Ignite and pay for fixing those issues when your car is under warranty. As Ramesh has already quoted TAFE is the best ASC you can get for Fiat. I've been to all of them except Concorde, Ambattur and I can tell you that Concorde ECR is the worst place any car can get serviced.
Ignite was a wild thought because of two reasons - 1. Had good experience with them, for servicing the old WagonR. They will take time to find out the root cause. 2. Having been used to servicing the WagonR every 5k kms, 15k sounds a bit scary.

Now, is it advisable that I wait it out till 15k? Because I'm not sure if ECR Concorde did anything other than water wash.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 20th April 2012 at 13:48.
Old 20th April 2012, 13:51   #4758
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... 15k sounds a bit scary.

Now, is it advisable that I wait it out till 15k? Because I'm not sure if ECR Concorde did anything other than water wash.
Nothing to get scared brother. 15k is indeed perfect for these Fiats. And also, if you have any issues in your car get the appointment from the ASC (I recommend TAFE) and visit them. You need not wait till 15k for any issues.
Old 20th April 2012, 14:17   #4759
BHPian

Quote:
If you're indeed worried book an appointment with TAFE. First service is nothing but checking the fluid levels and topping up including water wash. Stop worrying too much and take her for a spin
Old 20th April 2012, 22:32   #4760
Senior - BHPian

Which is the best engine oil for MJD? Anyone?

Mobil Delvac? Selenia? Gulf?
Old 21st April 2012, 08:34   #4761
Senior - BHPian

Selenia 5W40 - OE Fiat recommended oil
headers is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2012, 10:49   #4762
Senior - BHPian

Thanks, headers. But some say that it is a semi synthetic oil only and many Swift DDiS users vouch and speak high of Mobil Delvac. I have observed the same in some other Fiat forum too. Have you used Delvac and did you find it any worse than Selenia? From what I understood, Delvac has better ratings than Selenia.
DRIV3R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2012, 13:25   #4763
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Thanks, headers. But some say that it is a semi synthetic oil only and many Swift DDiS users vouch and speak high of Mobil Delvac. I have observed the same in some other Fiat forum too. Have you used Delvac and did you find it any worse than Selenia? From what I understood, Delvac has better ratings than Selenia.
Hi, the FIAT spec oil is Selenia 5W40 WR and it has served well in both our Puntos.

I use Mobil Delvac MX in some other engines [that are not too advanced] and can say that "That Oil is good".

Debates can go on w.r.t synthetic vs. semi synthetic vs mineral but end of the day, OEM guys are hardly wrong.

Also, how do you know whether an oil is good or bad? Any pointers apart from placebo?
Old 21st April 2012, 13:33   #4764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
How are the brakes holding up on your car? My car's pads were changed at 15K service which I thought was a rip off. Did the ASC tell you anything about their condition?
45,000 kms service of my Punto was done this week. The car is still running on it's original brake pads. The dealer has never asked me to change the pad's till today. The bite from the brakes is just as it was on day one.
Old 21st April 2012, 13:48   #4765
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit

45,000 kms service of my Punto was done this week. The car is still running on it's original brake pads. The dealer has never asked me to change the pad's till today. The bite from the brakes is just as it was on day one.
45000 on original brake pads - speaks a lot about your driving habits

Do you drive mostly in city or highway? My friends Punto (~19000 km)has started making rubbing sounds when brakes are applied, and SA advised to change brake pads after 2000 more km. The brakes start making noise only after about 8 km of city driving.
Old 21st April 2012, 14:43   #4766
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post

Debates can go on w.r.t synthetic vs. semi synthetic vs mineral but end of the day, OEM guys are hardly wrong.
I just want to make sure that no marketing from FIAT is involved here (Just like M&M uses IndianOil re-branded oil), because Selenia was owned by FIAT before Petronas acquired it in 2008.

Quote:
Also, how do you know whether an oil is good or bad? Any pointers apart from placebo?
NVH characteristics.

BTW, is Selenia transparent?
Old 21st April 2012, 22:36   #4767
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Selenia is cost effective as well when compared over Mobil Delvac1. One of our forum members uses Selenia on his Manza and is very happy with it both on performance and cost.

@Crazy Driver: I would rate VST better than TAFE reach for TATA cars (perhaps TAFE has a better body shop) . One both my visits to TAFE Reach, had seen FIAT linea and Punto owners fighting with the SAs. These guys were about to put Bardhal on my Manza during first service citing a circular from TML before I showed them the Manza manual which explicitly states that Bardhal, SystemD etc. are not allowed on FIAT engines. Plus they messed up my clutch play as well which got rectified during the next service at VST.

Just like you are thinking, I have taken my Manza to Ignite a couple of times in between my usual service but Raghav always had asked me to get things rectified at TASS as most of the required repairs were warranty ones.
Old 22nd April 2012, 00:25   #4768
BHPian

Delvac 1 would be the ablsolute best you can get for the MJD. I was using it and it simply rocks
Old 22nd April 2012, 01:50   #4769
BHPian

Hi everyone,

My source in Fiat India informed me, that a Punto 90 HP is going to the launched in the first week of may with some interior changes. he informed me that the changes will be minor and "no engine changes are to be expected". Also these changes are limited to the 90 HP model only and the rest of the fleet will not be touched. Although he did not specify the areas where the changes will be made, i guess Punto 90HP will wear the Linea dashboard colors. anyone thinking of going for the 90 HP can have a look at the car first and then decide. Does anyone has any news related to this matter???
Old 22nd April 2012, 14:27   #4770
BHPian

Hi

I have received Active Tuscan Wine MJD on March 28, 2012 and already clocked 1200 KMs in the City of Kolkata. I am pretty happy to own the beauty and would like have an information from fellow members. If I need to go to Service Center in Kolkata which one should go for FIAT service.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks