Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2012, 18:35   #4921
BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by akm225 View Post
I find the decals on the Punto Sport ghastly, and moreover paying 15k for such cosmetic changes is ridiculous, in my book. I thought that the Punto Sport is supposed to be given to customers only by choice and that the regular 90hp would still be available. Does anyone here have any clarity on this matter?
Agreed. Fiat should just leave it to the customer. I just quickly checked their website and I see both the 90HP (named ADVANCED MULTIJET Diesel) and Sports. I don't know if the site is yet to be updated, which I doubt. I don't like the cosmetic changes appealing either. So, I guess you should push for a regular 90HP one. I am sure would be few with other dealers.
Old 22nd May 2012, 22:13   #4922
Senior - BHPian

Today while returning from office, I heard a sound from underneath the car as if I had run over something. No warning lamps or beeps came from the car. The area was quite dark and I stopped the car to check if that was the case. We checked the area using my cousin's mobile phone torch, but couldn't find anything that I could've run over. We got back in the car and continued and I found about a km later that the odo on the MID was flashing (just the odo reading and nothing else). There were still no other warnings so I went further. The odo was still working (km reading was getting updated), but it was flashing. When I reached my cousin's place, I switched off the car and went around with a torch around the car and couldn't find anything loose. During the ~2km from my cousin's place to my home, the odo wasn't flashing anymore.

I am not sure if I should connect the noise from underneath the car with the odo flashing, but I think there might be a connection. Does anyone know what it means if the odo reading is flashing?
Old 22nd May 2012, 22:45   #4923
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Today while returning from office, I heard a sound from underneath the car as if I had run over something. No warning lamps or beeps came from the car. The area was quite dark and I stopped the car to check if that was the case. We checked the area using my cousin's mobile phone torch, but couldn't find anything that I could've run over. We got back in the car and continued and I found about a km later that the odo on the MID was flashing (just the odo reading and nothing else). There were still no other warnings so I went further. The odo was still working (km reading was getting updated), but it was flashing. When I reached my cousin's place, I switched off the car and went around with a torch around the car and couldn't find anything loose. During the ~2km from my cousin's place to my home, the odo wasn't flashing anymore.

I am not sure if I should connect the noise from underneath the car with the odo flashing, but I think there might be a connection. Does anyone know what it means if the odo reading is flashing?
It usually means some Error with Blue and Me i guess.
It blinks quite a few times in mine as well.
A simple switch off and restart fixes it.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2012, 19:58   #4924

Quote:
I recently booked a Punto 90hp. I've paid the down payment and my loan from SBI has also been sanctioned. All this happened days before the limited edition Punto Sport was launched. My dealer calls me up and tells me that since the Punto Sport has now been launched; I have no choice but to go for the Punto Sport and that I need to pay the extra amount. I tell him that the Punto Sport isn't to my taste and that I was least interested. He then tells me that as per Fiat instructions, the Punto Sport would be the only 90hp model given to customers until it runs out. I thought this as extremely absurd for fiat to force a model on its customers, and therefore called the Fiat customer care, they told me that the concerned department would call me back, but I'm yet to receive any call.

I find the decals on the Punto Sport ghastly, and moreover paying 15k for such cosmetic changes is ridiculous, in my book. I thought that the Punto Sport is supposed to be given to customers only by choice and that the regular 90hp would still be available. Does anyone here have any clarity on this matter?
I called Fiat customer care, again, today and they confirmed that only the Punto Sport will be available for customers until it runs out of stock (250 units). I got hold of a Fiat representative’s email id. I've sent an email stating my dissatisfaction on such absurd move by Fiat, especially since I booked the car 15 days before Punto Sport was launched; and that they should please consider providing me the exact car I ordered. No reply for this as expected. The dealer has also forwarded my complaint to Fiat hoping that they would reconsider.

Now these are my options:
  1. Choose any one of the 3 90 Hp models in stock at the warehouse. There are 3 colors – bossa nova white, medium grey and tuscan wine. I originally ordered for an exotic red color. I've asked the dealer to send the VIN numbers on all 3 cars. And, if I go for any of the 2 metallic colors, I'll have to shell out the extra money.
  2. Wait for 3 to 4 months until the stock gets over, and then re order for a regular 90 hp.
  3. Go ahead and buy the Sport. I'll have to pay an extra 15k for this.
  4. I get lucky and Fiat gives me an exotic red 90 hp model.
  5. Cancel my booking, and go for another car.
All points except #4 are compromises. Fiat has pathetic customer relations, a fact I'm learning the hard way.
Old 23rd May 2012, 20:27   #4925
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Now these are my options:
  1. Choose any one of the 3 90 Hp models in stock at the warehouse. There are 3 colors – bossa nova white, medium grey and tuscan wine. I originally ordered for an exotic red color. I've asked the dealer to send the VIN numbers on all 3 cars. And, if I go for any of the 2 metallic colors, I'll have to shell out the extra money.
  2. Wait for 3 to 4 months until the stock gets over, and then re order for a regular 90 hp.
All points except #4 are compromises. Fiat has pathetic customer relations, a fact I'm learning the hard way.
Forcing customer to buy limited edition model is quite unacceptable. IMO, if you have the patience, and you really want the Punto, go with option 2. I mean, don’t give into this customer bullying.

And alternately, why not think of the regular Punto Emotion (not the 90HP)?

On a lighter note, if you wait out for a few months, there are chances that you may get these limited edition pieces with some good discounts
Old 23rd May 2012, 21:28   #4926
Senior - BHPian

@akm225, I can understand your disappointment. Having that said, let me share my viewpoint:

- This is not exactly a case of pathetic CRM from Fiat's side IMHO. As a manufacturer of a product they are free to stop/resume the production and increase/decrease price/features at any time.

- The model that you have ordered is actually available off-the-shelf. The color is not, however.

- IIRC there's no need shell out extra money for metallic colors; you need to pay extra for only Tuscan wine. My car is medium grey metallic and I paid nothing extra. May be I am not up-to-date here.

- so my suggestion is, either you go for any of the 3 90s available or if you are very choosy about the red color, go for another model (even marque). Alternatively, you can contact other Tata/Fiat dealerships for availability of a red 90 but I think it will be a tedious job since your loan has already been passed.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 23rd May 2012 at 21:32.
Old 23rd May 2012, 21:56   #4927
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
- IIRC there's no need shell out extra money for metallic colors; you need to pay extra for only Tuscan wine. My car is medium grey metallic and I paid nothing extra. May be I am not up-to-date here.
Post March 2012, all colors except Bossa Nova White and Exotica Red are considered premium, 5k INR extra. And Fox Trot Azure is not available on the Punto anymore.

Last edited by DRIV3R : 23rd May 2012 at 22:05.
DRIV3R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2012, 22:44   #4928

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
@akm225, I can understand your disappointment. Having that said, let me share my viewpoint:

- This is not exactly a case of pathetic CRM from Fiat's side IMHO. As a manufacturer of a product they are free to stop/resume the production and increase/decrease price/features at any time.

- The model that you have ordered is actually available off-the-shelf. The color is not, however.

- so my suggestion is, either you go for any of the 3 90s available or if you are very choosy about the red color, go for another model (even marque). Alternatively, you can contact other Tata/Fiat dealerships for availability of a red 90 but I think it will be a tedious job since your loan has already been passed.
  • I do understand a manufacturer increasing the price of a model and expecting the customer to pay the extra amount. However, please understand, this is a limited edition model not an update to the 90 Hp. A limited edition model should be given as a choice not as a compulsion. Let's face it, Fiat doesn't have good sales, and 250 limited edition models will take considerable time to sell if they don't force it on to customers.
  • Buying a car like the Punto 90Hp is an emotional choice not a logical one, and the color you choose is part of that equation. Choosing the exotic red color was never about the money. I don't think it as unreasonable to expect to get the color you choose when you're shelling out close to 9lac for a hatchback.
  • I've been calling Fiat customer care everyday since my dealer informed me about this situation, and their response has been consistent: a person from the "concerned department" will call within 24 hours. I've been waiting for the call from that "concerned department" for over a week now. I feel completely helpless here; I pay for car, a situation arises, I reach out to the dealer but he can't help because he can only follow manufacturer's instructions, I reach out to the manufacturer and the response is nil. Where else do you expect a customer to go to?
Old 24th May 2012, 11:44   #4929
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If I was in your place, I would have gone with Option 1. A BNW Punto 90hp!

But since you love the Red colour, I would suggest waiting for it. Any if there is a serious urgency, look for other options.

Quote:
I do understand a manufacturer increasing the price of a model and expecting the customer to pay the extra amount. However, please understand, this is a limited edition model not an update to the 90 Hp. A limited edition model should be given as a choice not as a compulsion. Let's face it, Fiat doesn't have good sales, and 250 limited edition models will take considerable time to sell if they don't force it on to customers.
Sadly, this is the truth. Even in your booking order form, they must have mentioned that prices & specifications are subject to change.

And this is not just with FIAT, but each and every manufacturer. I remember, I was working in VW as an intern. Now this particular guy booked a VW Vento TDi base variant. By the time his car came, VW had changed the wheel cover design (they made it a bolt on cover). There was nothing that we as a dealership could do. We can only sell/provide cars which VW gives us. And this customer made a big fuss saying that he wanted the older covers and he wanted the "exact" car which he test drove.

Then we had to show him the conditions where it was clearly stated that VW has the right to alter the car... But he dint budge. Luckily, we had an old Vento in the stockyard and we swapped the wheel covers.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 24th May 2012 at 11:45.
Old 24th May 2012, 15:02   #4930
BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Shoddy mail from Fiat

Just received an email from Fiat about Punto Sport.

They have revised the tagline: Most Powerdul Diesel Hatch. What is that supposed to mean? I am not allowed to use expletives here, but trust me I have some on my mind.

What's that Peroid? Something they sniffed before they made this ad?

How hard is it to run a spellcheck? When you send out email to millions of people with such careless mistakes, what image are you creating in their mind? Someone who can't even get a brochure right is trying to build cars?

C'mon Fiat, you can do better than this... I love the car, so it hurts all the more
to see such shoddy work. Get a better agency to handle your communications.

Spotted few more:

1) this car quiet (should be quite) easily leads the pack

2) Get into India's most powerful .. (Should it not be inside?)
Attached Images

Last edited by autocrat : 24th May 2012 at 15:16. Reason: Spotted few more
Old 24th May 2012, 16:17   #4931
BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Shoddy mail from Fiat

I wonder if they have a QA process in place for their communication but more importantly for their cars. IMO FIAT has some of the best diesel cars on offer, but I guess it is this very callous attitude that drives away potential buyers. At the end of the day it is not about a spelling mistake, but how much they love the product they create.
Old 24th May 2012, 16:44   #4932
Senior - BHPian

I own three Fiats a 1956 Fiat 1100, a 2007 Fiat Palio 1.1 Stile and a 2010 Fiat 500 Sport.

Now what i see going on here is Fiat is definately trying to pick some trims and Body trims from the 500 Series even the seats etc seem to be taking stylistic clues from the 500.

Fiat service is terrible, no doubt about it, but luckily the cars I own are relatively trouble free (knock on wood). There is a world of difference in Fiats manufactured in Europe(like my 500) and those manufactured here. The panel fitting etc is so amazing in the 500, well as even today in Puntos you find gaps in the interior panels.

I actually liked the White sport scheme on the Punto looks cool with the white rims, are they also including those? Fiat should introduce the Abarth Punto for the enthusiast in India. Thats heck of a car. Also its about time that the Punto got European interiors, Fiat is the only manufacturer that drags getting updates in exterior and interior into India.
Old 24th May 2012, 17:19   #4933
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masda
I wonder if they have a QA process in place for their communication but more importantly for their cars. IMO FIAT has some of the best diesel cars on offer, but I guess it is this very callous attitude that drives away potential buyers. At the end of the day it is not about a spelling mistake, but how much they love the product they create.
Exactly! How long does it take to get the language right on a write-up that's not even 10 lines? Why not pay some attention and save a lot of embarassment?
Old 24th May 2012, 17:37   #4934
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Also its about time that the Punto got European interiors, Fiat is the only manufacturer that drags getting updates in exterior and interior into India.
I believe (rather hope) that Fiat has been putting it off to first get their service side in order. The refreshed models can be used to provide fresh stimulus to Punto/Linea sales after Fiat sets up their independent sales/service centres in major cities by the year-end.
Old 25th May 2012, 14:25   #4935

Quote:
  • I've been calling Fiat customer care everyday since my dealer informed me about this situation, and their response has been consistent: a person from the "concerned department" will call within 24 hours. I've been waiting for the call from that "concerned department" for over a week now. I feel completely helpless here; I pay for car, a situation arises, I reach out to the dealer but he can't help because he can only follow manufacturer's instructions, I reach out to the manufacturer and the response is nil. Where else do you expect a customer to go to?
Out of sheer desperation I sent an email to Ravi Bhatia (VP) and Rajeev Kapoor (CEO) about the issue. I got a reply by evening asking for the dealer information.

Then, today morning I get an email from Mangesh Kodalkar (Customer services) asking me dealer details and receipt numbers. After I sent him the details he requested for, he replied that things were being coordinated with the dealer and someone would get back to me shortly.

I really hope that the situation gets resolved in my favor.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks