Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2012, 19:55   #4966
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Had a very pleasant experience at Prerana Kudlu gate service center. Cross posting from my ownership thread:

It was time for the annual visit to see the doc to make sure that he is all hale and hearty and today we went to the Prerana Clinic. Surendra did an inspection and noted down my complaints (the door ajar warning was coming on intermittently - culprit is a loose contact in the door contact switch) and I handed over Jai for the detailed checkup.
He was ready by 4PM and when I went to collect him, he was ready - all tip top and shiny. Surendra showed me all the parts they changed and gave me detailed information about the bill and the works done, and within minutes, I paid the bill (5860 INR - Wheel balancing was charged INR 350 and another INR 100 odd for the weights, My right front tyre was running on air after a puncture was fixed - they emptied the air and refilled it with nitrogen FOC) - all smooth and easy.

I saw that there is some smudge marks on the paint at one place - before I drove off, I asked Surendra for some cotton waste to wipe it clean - I was on no way prepared for what happened next. Surendra called manjunath (he seems to be the in charge of the cleaning section) and asked him to take the car and me to the cleaning section and do a through cleaning again. The car was moved to the cleaning bay and 2 guys started working on the car immediately - they did a through job of cleaning all the smudge marks and did a whole wipe down and then one guy cleaned all the glasses again. Then manjunath did one more round of interior cleaning.

After he checked and made sure that everything was done well, started the car to drive to the delivery section- then he noticed that my rear windshield have lot of glue marks on it (the aftermath of DIY sun-film removal - I cleaned 4 windows, but left the windshield for another day). He said if I can wait for 2 minutes, he can clean it! I agreed and he started working on it himself and he cleaned up all the glue marks (there were LOT of glue marks) and cleaned the rear windshield from inside and outside. I was really floored by the attention they paid and the effort they took to make sure that I am happy!

Another feather in the cap of Prerana - one more totally satisfied guy. Kudos to Manjunath for going the extra mile to keep the customer happy, and kudos to Surendra for a job well done.
Old 29th May 2012, 19:56   #4967
BHPian

Hi,

I have posted a message about my Punto met with an accident on March 1st and I have left the the car for repairs in VST motors in Ponamalle, Chennai

I took delivery of my car last week, the tinkering was top notch and the paint job was ok. Initially it was really frustrating to deal with VST motors. But once I started speaking to the GM and body shop manager things started to move. A special thanks to Rameshnanda for providing me with the GM's number.

For all the fiat owners, before taking delivery of their car after service or after any repair I would advise you to check each and every aspect carefully. I did visit the workshop a day before taking the delivery and did a check up on the following.

1. Is tinkering properly done
2. Is painting properly done
3. Is the bonnet properly attached (mine is a front collision)
4. Is the electric side view mirror working
5. Is the engine oil and other coolant are at proper levels
6. Is the head lights and fog lamps working properly.

After inspection I found that one side of the bonnet had more gap than the other, there was a small end in the A pillar where the tinkering was done, but it was left unpainted. The right head light was not working when we dim the headlights..

I sat with them the whole day personally overlooking the fixing of each of these issues. Even after spending so much time on inspection for the last two days I have some lose connection on my left side indicator, it stops working all of a sudden and after some time it starts working again. I get a minor rattle from the dashboard when the car is left idle and the fender was not properly screwed.

After spending the whole day with them I believe we cannot simply blame the dealership people (even though sometimes they are careless). They get huge number of tata indica taxis for repair and other minor issues and the workshop is heavily under supplied with man power. Unless they have dedicated team of mechanics for fiat nothing is going to improve.

We fiat owners will get good service only when fiat opens separate service stations exclusively for fiat. Until then the misfortunes at tata dealership will continue.
Also, I’m planning on buying a FM transmitter; can someone advise me which is the best brand? and where to buy?
Old 29th May 2012, 23:40   #4968
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
I own three Fiats a 1956 Fiat 1100, a 2007 Fiat Palio 1.1 Stile and a 2010 Fiat 500 Sport.
Wow. Congrats the mole. This is the first time I am coming across a Fiat 500 owner in Team-BHP. It would be really great if you share your ownership report along with loads of pictures of your 500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
I dont think the manufacturers take this forum seriously. If they did, then some vehicles would not have come to the market in its present avatar.

Just that TBHP has a lot of rants and the public can read about it if they feel the need to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
Team BHP also has a lot of raves
It does not matter if the manufacturers don't take the forum seriously. What matters is whether public do, and they do. If we help people by sharing our experience, they will know which car to buy, which does affect the manufacturers.
Fiat does see Team-BHP very seriously. Have a look at the old post of mine.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2564485

Last edited by rameshnanda : 30th May 2012 at 00:01.
Old 30th May 2012, 06:25   #4969
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2564485
They use all sources for marketing - but thats about it. Service and SPARE PARTS are a different story.

Infact, I got the emails of Mangesh & Co courtesy this forum. After shooting out an email, I get the usual "We will get back to you shortly" reply.

Later the same dealer who told that spares not available with him calls me again to "enquire" whether everything is fine with the car. Please note that I'm ranting about poor quality of plastics here and not the mechanical stuff. After update, nothing much has happened and its been over ONE year!

Would you call that SERVICE?
Old 30th May 2012, 08:54   #4970
Team-BHP Support

Is Mobil Delvac MX the best recommended oil for 90HP? My car has done around 7500 kms now. Thinking of changing engine oil. I guess no need for synthetic since it will be changed in another 7500 kms again (2nd service).

Any need to change the oil filter as well? Or is it needed only at the recommended 15k mark?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Team-bhp has a brilliant review of the car. Its just advertising.

However - when i bought my car - I posted the OTR in the TD thread. I got a call from the dealer the next day requesting me to remove it. Seems he got a call from TATA motors asking for the reason for the discounts. Goes on to show FIAT/ TATA motors follows the TD thread, but as an end customer - I did not get any benefit out of that exercise, to tell that its a good feedback system.
Quote:
Would you call that SERVICE?
Same story. I had a bad 1st service experience with Concorde, ECR. FIAT customer care called up after a few days to take the feedback. I gave them poor ratings - They told things will be sorted out with the dealership and its anybody's guess what would have happened next!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 30th May 2012 at 09:19.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2012, 10:40   #4971
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Is Mobil Delvac MX the best recommended oil for 90HP? My car has done around 7500 kms now. Thinking of changing engine oil. I guess no need for synthetic since it will be changed in another 7500 kms again (2nd service).

Any need to change the oil filter as well? Or is it needed only at the recommended 15k mark?
Nope. Delvac MX is 15W40, while the recommended is 5W40 for the Multijet. U can argue that the grade does not make a difference in this peak summer, but keep in mind that the 5W40 would flow through much easier than the 15W40 during cold starts.

If i were you, (which I am, this weekend, as I am changing oil for my GP) I would go for Selenia 5W40 from the dealer itself, supervised. And hell YES! you got to change your oil filter too. The oil filter contains all the imupurities, metal filings and some 200 ml or so of the old oil too. Your oil change would be meaningless without an oil filter change.

One more thing, do NOT go for after market filters like Purolator/Bosch. Go for the UFI one, which is OEM for Fiat. (Ferrari and other premium brands too)

BTW, can you and other GP/Linea owners please respond to my query on the previous page?

Last edited by DRIV3R : 30th May 2012 at 10:42.
Old 30th May 2012, 14:45   #4972
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Nope. Delvac MX is 15W40, while the recommended is 5W40 for the Multijet. U can argue that the grade does not make a difference in this peak summer, but keep in mind that the 5W40 would flow through much easier than the 15W40 during cold starts.

If i were you, (which I am, this weekend, as I am changing oil for my GP) I would go for Selenia 5W40 from the dealer itself, supervised. And hell YES! you got to change your oil filter too. The oil filter contains all the imupurities, metal filings and some 200 ml or so of the old oil too. Your oil change would be meaningless without an oil filter change.

One more thing, do NOT go for after market filters like Purolator/Bosch. Go for the UFI one, which is OEM for Fiat. (Ferrari and other premium brands too)

BTW, can you and other GP/Linea owners please respond to my query on the previous page?
First service? I had the same planned then, but the service centre guys were dead against it.

Regarding the battery - no I didnt notice anything like that till now. All electricals will cut off when engine is cranked, but no flickering or any such drama with all electricals on. Check it during service. Unfortunately, EXIDE is not such a reliable brand.
Old 30th May 2012, 18:39   #4973
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When ambient temperature refuses to drop below 29 deg C, does not matter if one use 15W40 instead of 5W40 WR sir.
Old 31st May 2012, 09:02   #4974
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akm225 View Post
I recently booked a Punto 90hp. I've paid the down payment and my loan from SBI has also been sanctioned. All this happened days before the limited edition Punto Sport was launched. My dealer calls me up and tells me that since the Punto Sport has now been launched; I have no choice but to go for the Punto Sport and that I need to pay the extra amount. I tell him that the Punto Sport isn't to my taste and that I was least interested. He then tells me that as per Fiat instructions, the Punto Sport would be the only 90hp model given to customers until it runs out. I thought this as extremely absurd for fiat to force a model on its customers, and therefore called the Fiat customer care, they told me that the concerned department would call me back, but I'm yet to receive any call.

I find the decals on the Punto Sport ghastly, and moreover paying 15k for such cosmetic changes is ridiculous, in my book. I thought that the Punto Sport is supposed to be given to customers only by choice and that the regular 90hp would still be available. Does anyone here have any clarity on this matter?
You are right!! Visited the Fiat dealer yesterday to check out the 90hp but was told only the 90hp sports will be available from now on till the stocks last. Also the face lifted International 2012 Punto will be available in 2013. What’s more the price on road is (Hyderabad) Rs. 870251/- and Rs.876241/- which falls in the category of the Asta i20 crdi Rs.875467/- which has loads of features compared to the 90hp Sports and now looks VFM compared to the 90hp Sports. Also compared to the 90hp got for Rs.853450/- the 90hp Sports seems to be over priced for a few stickers, pedals etc. Fiat is doing it again!! Wish they had offered the Sports at the same price of the 90hp would have been a great buy.
rdhan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2012, 10:34   #4975
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When ambient temperature refuses to drop below 29 deg C, does not matter if one use 15W40 instead of 5W40 WR sir.
To each his own!

You are free to use even a 20W50 oil in your car if you want to. I have come across numerous discussions regarding this on this forum and am tired of saying it again and again. The first number in the grade of a multigrade oil determines it's cold flow properties/viscosity index. The lesser the better, as long as the second number remains the same.

Peace out.
DRIV3R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2012, 12:08   #4976
Distinguished - BHPian

@Bhpians from Trivandrum:

My friend wants to buy the punto and he is currently in Dubai. Need help in getting a quote for the Punto MJD Emotion. Can somebody co-ordinate and help me out in this.

Please PM me if anyone needs my contact details.

Many thanks in advance.
Old 31st May 2012, 13:52   #4977
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The first number in the grade of a multigrade oil determines it's cold flow properties/viscosity index. The lesser the better, as long as the second number remains the same.

Peace out.

This is exactly what I am saying..5W40 is better in cold climate conditions but where ambient temperatures are higher, IT DOES NOT MATTER whether one uses 5w40 or 15W40 or 20W40 as long as the API ratings are similar or better!!

And the API ratings of Delvac MX are better than Selenia 5W40 WR
Old 1st June 2012, 14:08   #4978
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
@Bhpians from Trivandrum:

My friend wants to buy the punto and he is currently in Dubai. Need help in getting a quote for the Punto MJD Emotion. Can somebody co-ordinate and help me out in this.

Please PM me if anyone needs my contact details.

Many thanks in advance.
Punto MJD Emotion is 768000 OTR @ Trivandrum including free b2b insurance.

Quote given by Mohandas Motors.
quadbike is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2012, 14:17   #4979
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadbike View Post
Punto MJD Emotion is 768000 OTR @ Trivandrum including free b2b insurance.

Quote given by Mohandas Motors.
The same dealer has provided the below accessories FOC.
  • Art Leather seat covers
  • Reverse Parking Sensors
  • Mud flaps
  • Carpets
  • perfume
  • idol
Any chances of squeezing in a few more monies on the OTR price.
Old 1st June 2012, 14:26   #4980
BHPian

The dealer is willing to give me all of those but decided against the Seat Covers and Reverse Parking sensor. I had the sensor on my i20 found it to be of little use to me and in my experience the free seat covers don't last very long either. I am getting the rest bar the idol and will ask for a discount for the items I do not want.

Most Viewed