Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2012, 14:44   #5536
BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

The electricals/electronics suddenly acting funny (starts throwing messages on MID) is a typical FIAT behaviour/nature to indirectly tell you that the battery may be weak. You may want get the battery checked, before this symptom starts affecting engine cranks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by punto_ View Post
I've started facing a weird issue on my Punto. There is a random warning light of a bulb failure coming up on the mid and when checked all the lights seem to be functioning. Looks like this could be a software bug. Feeling lazy to visit service center for this - hope this is nothing to worry about immediately. What do you guys think?
Old 28th December 2012, 15:11   #5537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
I am also getting the electrical failure light in MID, and all my lights and power windows and other stuffs are working fine, but yes I am getting static shocks too often now, need to visit the service center soon.
+1 - I am also getting static shocks too often now, but no electrical failure light in MID. Do share if you find a remedy to the static shock
Old 29th December 2012, 22:02   #5538
Senior - BHPian

Apparently the a.s.s did not reset my service reminder in the last service and I see the "service coupon expired" message on my MID.

Any way I can reset it myself without visiting the a.s.s ?
Old 29th December 2012, 23:14   #5539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Any way I can reset it myself without visiting the a.s.s ?
Nothing to worry since the alert will dis-appear on it's own after X amount of KM's although I'm not entirely sure I think it's around 500 KM's.
Old 3rd January 2013, 12:40   #5540
BHPian

Folks - I have gone through this thread pretty much front to back and was thinking about buying the Sports edition. can you pls help answer some of my questions below? I plan to take a TD soon.

1. Can 3 people sit comfortably at the back with enough shoulder room over long distances?

2. Is Punto wider than a swift when it comes to seating comfort both at the front and rear? what about thigh support?

3. How is the rear seat comfort with respect to ride? Is it bouncy and hard like the swift or is it extremely good?

4. What about Ingress and Egress? Do you actually have to sit down and get up?

4. Has anyone felt claustrophobic sitting either at the front or rear, since I guess this a low slung car compared to taller hatchbacks like swift etc.

Thanks
Old 3rd January 2013, 13:38   #5541
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
Folks - I have gone through this thread pretty much front to back and was thinking about buying the Sports edition. can you pls help answer some of my questions below? I plan to take a TD soon.

1. Can 3 people sit comfortably at the back with enough shoulder room over long distances?

=> No, More like 2 adults one kid type. Or, 3 really thin adults.

2. Is Punto wider than a swift when it comes to seating comfort both at the front and rear? what about thigh support?

=>Much better, thigh support OK. For the driver seat, use seat height adjuster, spend some time with it, it helps.

3. How is the rear seat comfort with respect to ride? Is it bouncy and hard like the swift or is it extremely good?

=>Really good. No complaints except for space, which could be wee bit more.

=> Seems good for me. But I have never seen anyone bang thier head, including colleagues who are taller.

4. Has anyone felt claustrophobic sitting either at the front or rear, since I guess this a low slung car compared to taller hatchbacks like swift etc.

=> No

Thanks

What you have asked is rather subjective and matter of perception, but, going by my standards, I am 5'8, wife 5'2 the typical average Indians, my replies embedded within quote.

I own a 2012 OBlue Punto 1.2.
Old 3rd January 2013, 13:42   #5542
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
What you have asked is rather subjective and matter of perception, but, going by my standards, I am 5'8, wife 5'2 the typical average Indians, my replies embedded within quote.

I own a 2012 OBlue Punto 1.2.
Thanks for your reply, this gives me some clarity on what i can expect. I was under the assumption that the GP can seat 3 people comfortably at the rear with enough legroom.
Old 3rd January 2013, 13:50   #5543
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your reply, this gives me some clarity on what i can expect. I was under the assumption that the GP can seat 3 people comfortably at the rear with enough legroom.
For short drives around the city 3 people is OK. For extended drives, both legroom and shoulder spacing might become an issue. If two adults are seated, they may choose to slant a bit, to relax their legs nicely with the kid seated between the 2 adults.

But this should not be a reason to not shortlist the Punto.Take the TD and you will know!
Old 3rd January 2013, 13:53   #5544
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks
I will answer some of your questions

3) The Punto offers the best balance between ride & handling. Period. It isn't bouncy & hard like the Swift. Punto just glides over (if I may say so) bad patches. It has the inherent excellent ride quality of Fiats.

4) No, there is no claustrophobic feel in the front or rear seats.

IMHO, if rear seat space is your priority then Etios Liva, Indica Vista, Figo score better. Eventhough Punto looks like a large hatchback, the space management is quite poor. Take a longish test drive as you'll find the ergonomics to be wierd in the beginning. It's a matter of getting used to. The ride & handling of Punto is something that must be experienced.

Last edited by Rufus_M : 3rd January 2013 at 13:56.
Rufus_M is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2013, 14:34   #5545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus_M View Post
I will answer some of your questions

3) The Punto offers the best balance between ride & handling. Period. It isn't bouncy & hard like the Swift. Punto just glides over (if I may say so) bad patches. It has the inherent excellent ride quality of Fiats.

4) No, there is no claustrophobic feel in the front or rear seats.

IMHO, if rear seat space is your priority then Etios Liva, Indica Vista, Figo score better. Eventhough Punto looks like a large hatchback, the space management is quite poor. Take a longish test drive as you'll find the ergonomics to be wierd in the beginning. It's a matter of getting used to. The ride & handling of Punto is something that must be experienced.
Thanks Rufus - Will definitely test drive the car and see for myself. Yes, for now am looking at something which can seat 3 people comfortably which I cannot do now in my swift.
Old 5th January 2013, 11:43   #5546
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by punto_
I've started facing a weird issue on my Punto. There is a random warning light of a bulb failure coming up on the mid and when checked all the lights seem to be functioning. Looks like this could be a software bug. Feeling lazy to visit service center for this - hope this is nothing to worry about immediately. What do you guys think?
Hi, I too had faced this issue around a year ago, as other members pointed out, it might be an earthing issue, but my problem was solved when I opened up the bonnet, checked the fuse box, and found a fuse to be loosely stuck in its place. I rechecked with all the fuses and put them back firmly in place & volia! the issue was solved and the amber indicator on the mid showing a faulty bulb was gone.
I would advise you to check the fuse box properly & put all the fuses in place. I hope your issue will be resolved without a visit to the a.s.s.
arpanjha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2013, 09:25   #5547
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I have owned both these cars, Swift in the past and Punto sport now, so I'll give a shot at answering your queries.

Quote:
Yes, there is adequate shoulder room for 3 adults at the back. What could be a potential hindrance however, is the transmission hump in the centre which makes the central passenger footspace a bit awkward. Not very different in any other car anyway, so this shouldn't be a deal breaker. Rear leg space will be compromised if the driver/front passenger push back their seats too much.

Quote:
It is wider marginally. For front seat comfort and ergonomics, nothing in the hatchback space beats the Punto sport. Even the famed i20 doesn't have the superb under-thigh support of the punto sport, both at the front and the back. The seats are extremely comfortable. The Swift's front seats are comfortable, but are no match for the Punto's seats. In the back seat department both Swift and Punto are similar, but Punto has better under-thigh support.

For best back seat space and comfort, Vista and Etios Liva win hands down. Then again, they are not driver's cars, so they don't have the driving finesse of the Punto.

Quote:
simply put, best in class . It is very plush and handles all bad roads very well, without much discomfort for the passengers. You will hardly feel anything on bad roads, just a faint gurgling sound somewhere in the distance .

Quote:
I liked the ingress and egress on the sport. It does sit low down with respect to the dashboard, but note that the seats are height-adjustable for your liking. There is not a hint of strain anywhere. The 2012 puntos come with increased ground clearance of 185mm and the car itself is heightened, so you don't actually have to crawl into a low driver position.

Quote:
Far from claustrophobic, its actually the opposite. The windows and glass area of the windshield are massive, and the cabin feels airy and nice both at the front and the rear. I suggest you visit a showroom for a test drive and judge the car for yourself, since each one's yardsticks might be different. Some of your questions can be clarified if you go through the pictures in my ownership review thread, you might be able to get an idea of what you can expect :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...oof-added.html

If you want specific pictures of some particular aspect/feature of the sport, do PM me, I'll be glad to help you out with pics.

P.S - I don't think the Swift is a taller car at all. The shape of the car is deceptive and is creating this illusion. The Swift driver sits slightly more upright in the seat, that's all.

Last edited by KarthikK : 6th January 2013 at 09:46.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2013, 12:35   #5548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK

I have owned both these cars, Swift in the past and Punto sport now, so I'll give a shot at answering your queries.

Yes, there is adequate shoulder room for 3 adults at the back. What could be a potential hindrance however, is the transmission hump in the centre which makes the central passenger footspace a bit awkward. Not very different in any other car anyway, so this shouldn't be a deal breaker. Rear leg space will be compromised if the driver/front passenger push back their seats too much.

It is wider marginally. For front seat comfort and ergonomics, nothing in the hatchback space beats the Punto sport. Even the famed i20 doesn't have the superb under-thigh support of the punto sport, both at the front and the back. The seats are extremely comfortable. The Swift's front seats are comfortable, but are no match for the Punto's seats. In the back seat department both Swift and Punto are similar, but Punto has better under-thigh support.

For best back seat space and comfort, Vista and Etios Liva win hands down. Then again, they are not driver's cars, so they don't have the driving finesse of the Punto.

simply put, best in class . It is very plush and handles all bad roads very well, without much discomfort for the passengers. You will hardly feel anything on bad roads, just a faint gurgling sound somewhere in the distance .

I liked the ingress and egress on the sport. It does sit low down with respect to the dashboard, but note that the seats are height-adjustable for your liking. There is not a hint of strain anywhere. The 2012 puntos come with increased ground clearance of 185mm and the car itself is heightened, so you don't actually have to crawl into a low driver position.

Far from claustrophobic, its actually the opposite. The windows and glass area of the windshield are massive, and the cabin feels airy and nice both at the front and the rear. I suggest you visit a showroom for a test drive and judge the car for yourself, since each one's yardsticks might be different. Some of your questions can be clarified if you go through the pictures in my ownership review thread, you might be able to get an idea of what you can expect :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...oof-added.html

If you want specific pictures of some particular aspect/feature of the sport, do PM me, I'll be glad to help you out with pics.

P.S - I don't think the Swift is a taller car at all. The shape of the car is deceptive and is creating this illusion. The Swift driver sits slightly more upright in the seat, that's all.
Hey karthik, thanks for the detailed feedback. My mood is already pissed off w.r.t Tata.
The other day went to prerna show room in btm and saw the car myself, but they didn't have the sports version nor did they have a vehicle for td. It's been 3 days and haven't got back to me for a td.
I also went to the Concorde showroom and they don't have any vehicle either. I don't want to stop into that showroom ever again seeing how they treated me.

So much for fiat...!
Old 8th January 2013, 22:44   #5549
BHPian

Hi to all,
Wanted to keep you all posted.
My Punto sports has accompanied me for 4300 KMs in about 45 days.
Good things about the car:
1. Great handling, sticks to the road and line during cornering.
2. Great brakes, inspires confidence.
3. How much ever you push, just doesnt faultier with respect to handling and brakes.
4. Love the torque between 1.5K and 2K rpm.
5. NVH and HVAC are awesome.
Things that can improve:
1. Headlights - sad, reminds me of my 6V RX100
2. Wipers - cant believe it fogs up on the outside with the wipers on
3. Music system - best to receive phone calls only.
4. Would like the steering to be a bit stiffer/tighter
5. need 6th gear, anyways 1st is too short

Mind you, I am comparing Punto with X5, Passat and C300
Overall, am very happy with the car. great drive and a joy on highways.

Few pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-punto1.jpg  

Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-punto2.jpg  

Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-punto3.jpg  

Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-punto4.jpg  

Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-punto5.jpg  

GrayBerry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2013, 10:11   #5550
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayBerry View Post
Things that can improve:
1. Headlights - sad, reminds me of my 6V RX100
I guess this is because you are comparing with some of your German titans which come with HIDs . I found the Punto's lamps to be quite satisfactory in the city and on highways. They're not great, but definitely not bad. Perhaps you could get the headlamp beam adjusted during the service or even get the bulbs swapped for better ones like nkrishnap has done, to Silverstars or Osram nightbreakers?

Quote:
2. Wipers - cant believe it fogs up on the outside with the wipers on
Could you elaborate a bit on this? I didn't understand how it can fog up on the outside when rain water falls on the glass anyway.

Last edited by KarthikK : 9th January 2013 at 10:12.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks