Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2013, 08:54   #5656
BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkesh View Post
Thats great. Its not possible to extract such figures regularly though. The maximum i got in my punto(E pk mjd) till date is 26 kmpl for a 60 km trip(50% AC).
Which is your version? The MID looks so different.
Mine is Active, 2010 model, yes you are correct, such numbers do not come everyday, but I got 24+ with AC on my trip to Ajmer from Bangalore & return.

Now one quick question to all, can service center force me to take the engine oil they provide? my car is at Prerana Motors, Kudlu Gate, for 60K service and I want to use Castrol Edge, but since yesterday the service advisor is telling me that I have to take the engine oil they provide else my Extended warranty will get void, what should I do?
Old 13th March 2013, 10:13   #5657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
Hi All,

I am planning on replacing my 5 year old micro car, and have short listed the Punto as an option. I wanted to check If anyone had an idea of the real world performance of the 1.4L petrol in terms if drivability, and not top speed. I wasn't able to find much about the performance I'd this engine. I don't drive fast, and am not interested in drag races, will not be driving much, and prefer petrols to diesels. I also believe that good discounts should be available on the petrol Emotion

Thanks in advance!
My parents have been using the 1.4 for almost 3 years now and here's my feedback on the car.

The engine is weak < 2000 rpm after which it opens up and revvs very freely till 6000 rpm with a lovely engine note. It is fun, but at times, you do wish there was a more spread out power band.

Our car has done only 10k till date and its usage has been 90% in the city. The only long distance this car sees is Mysore - Bangalore, which with the numerous speed breakers is more or less like a city road

I have also noticed that the AC does puts quite a load on the engine, and the car feels slower with the AC on. Fuel consumption is nothing great as well. We get about 11 in the city and 14 on the highway (again could be better without those wretched speed breakers).

I'd still say the 1.4 feels much better than an i20 petrol to drive and the reported mileage figures for the i20 are also nothing great. Test drive the car and tell us what you think.
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2013, 11:13   #5658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
Now one quick question to all, can service center force me to take the engine oil they provide? my car is at Prerana Motors, Kudlu Gate, for 60K service and I want to use Castrol Edge, but since yesterday the service advisor is telling me that I have to take the engine oil they provide else my Extended warranty will get void, what should I do?
The service guys are right... But I also remember discussing with Mahesh Natrajan that if you can show to the service guys that both engine oils have the same specification(aka acceptable to FIAT), you should not face an issue.

Guess you will have to talk to Surendra at Kudlu gate. He is a very sensible chap.
Old 13th March 2013, 11:43   #5659
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Mine is Active, 2010 model, yes you are correct, such numbers do not come everyday, but I got 24+ with AC on my trip to Ajmer from Bangalore & return.

All service centers will insist on putting the Selenia WR Diesel engine oil and they state the warranty thing for any deviations.

Are you asking them to use Castrol Edge from their service center or you are getting the oil from outside.

They will wash their hands off in case anything goes wrong stating this violation. I would suggest stick to Selenia.

Do have a word with the SA for any deviations the SA can suggest for get your choice of oil in the car.

PS: I know its a stupid thing that the manufacturers follow, I simply cant understand what stops them from honoring a warranty claim when simply a better rated oil than the OEM is used.

By the way, even I am using Selenia, but badly want Mobil 1 Delvac. But this warranty thing is scaring me off.
Old 13th March 2013, 13:10   #5660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
All service centers will insist on putting the Selenia WR Diesel engine oil and they state the warranty thing for any deviations.

Are you asking them to use Castrol Edge from their service center or you are getting the oil from outside.

They will wash their hands off in case anything goes wrong stating this violation. I would suggest stick to Selenia.

Do have a word with the SA for any deviations the SA can suggest for get your choice of oil in the car.

PS: I know its a stupid thing that the manufacturers follow, I simply cant understand what stops them from honoring a warranty claim when simply a better rated oil than the OEM is used.

By the way, even I am using Selenia, but badly want Mobil 1 Delvac. But this warranty thing is scaring me off.
I got it from outside, and I went upto the position of giving in writing that due to me using a different engine oil, if anything happens to engine, I will not claim the warranty for engine, but they say entire car's warranty will void, I can't undersatnd that how an electrical or structural warranty can be void due to different engine oil.. But I will not use OEM oil this time for sure, if that requires me to get the oil change done from outside will do that...
Old 13th March 2013, 14:13   #5661
Senior - BHPian

Thank you all for your input!

I have read through all of the threads linked, and I'm feeling better about the car than before. So real positive then

Will be test driving this weekend, hopefully. Will update after.

Separately, the cost of the 1.4 has either risen exponentially or the dealer is trying to crook me. I've got a quote for 8.42 on road Bangalore, while all of the threads mention a price of around 7ish. Will check on the new car price check thread
Old 13th March 2013, 15:33   #5662
BHPian

Quote:
I got it from outside, and I went upto the position of giving in writing that due to me using a different engine oil, if anything happens to engine, I will not claim the warranty for engine, but they say entire car's warranty will void, I can't undersatnd that how an electrical or structural warranty can be void due to different engine oil.. But I will not use OEM oil this time for sure, if that requires me to get the oil change done from outside will do that...
Even i have faced similar issue with engine oil.
My advice is to put selenia at prerana, drive it for around 1000 kms, then drain it off and put castrol edge outside.
This way you can stay away from voiding warranty and in a way the engine will also be flushed by using selenia for 1000kms or lesser.
And one more thing i want to ask is does emotion pack have lower real time fuel efficiency compared to an active model owing to the tyre etc.

Last edited by Arkesh : 13th March 2013 at 15:37.
Old 13th March 2013, 15:50   #5663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkesh View Post

Even i have faced similar issue with engine oil.
My advice is to put selenia at prerana, drive it for around 1000 kms, then drain it off and put castrol edge outside.
This way you can stay away from voiding warranty and in a way the engine will also be flushed by using selenia for 1000kms or lesser.
And one more thing i want to ask is does emotion pack have lower real time fuel efficiency compared to an active model owing to the tyre etc.
I can do it but I will not get the filter outside... Thats an issue
Old 13th March 2013, 15:57   #5664
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I have read through all of the threads linked, and I'm feeling better about the car than before. So real positive then

Separately, the cost of the 1.4 has either risen exponentially or the dealer is trying to crook me. I've got a quote for 8.42 on road Bangalore, while all of the threads mention a price of around 7ish. Will check on the new car price check thread
Hi Velu,

The quote you got seems to be incorrect.

The on road price for Punto 1.4 Emotion is -

2012 model - 7.95 lacs (with corporate discount this will go down further)

2013 model - 8.10 lacs (with corporate discount this will go down further)

Do pm me with your contact details, I will help you out.
nkrishnap is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2013, 00:18   #5665
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...my car is at Prerana Motors, Kudlu Gate, for 60K service and I want to use Castrol Edge, but since yesterday the service advisor is telling me that I have to take the engine oil they provide else my Extended warranty will get void, what should I do?
Why don't you call up another TA$$ and check with them on the oil. If they are NOT this strict, take you car for oil change there and get rest of the stuff done here. I know it's a difficult job, but you seem to be adamant about the oil too!
Old 14th March 2013, 00:58   #5666
BHPian

Oil brand change reminds me that how frequently u all change the mobil oil ... Mean after how many kms

I drive punto mjd
Old 14th March 2013, 07:45   #5667
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post

Why don't you call up another TA$$ and check with them on the oil. If they are NOT this strict, take you car for oil change there and get rest of the stuff done here. I know it's a difficult job, but you seem to be adamant about the oil too!
Yes, this time I was adamant on oil, and why not, when its a paid service I should have the right to choose better lubricant, and when Fiat is talking about change of attitude, they must listen to the customer, this is where Maruti scores, when I had alto. I never used servo engine oils, I used to give them magnatech from out side and they would happily do it. Even the manager at Prerana was telling me that they do this for all Tata cars, but for Fiat they will not do it.
Old 14th March 2013, 11:13   #5668
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I think you are confusing the versions, the 7 Lakh odd pricing was for the earlier lineup where Fiat had a 1.4 Emotion, this is now called Dynamic but available only in 1.2P. The current lineup has a 20k difference between the petrol 1.4 and diesel Emotion version(earlier Emotion Pack), at this pricing, the diesel makes more sense. I am not accounting for any buyback or discount that the dealer may offer.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2013, 11:07   #5669
BHPian

Re: Second Free service Punto 1.2 Dynamic

I don't have my own thread, string or a rope, so the service report finds its way up here, probably the best place for all things PUNTO.

PROLOGUE:
The car was delivered on 29th Feb'12. the first service was done in August 12, and I started receiving calls from Oberoi Motors early Feb onwards for the second service. The car drives extremely well, has never let me down, gives me very good mileage and had run 9700kms till the second service/1 year. The reason why it is a petrol.

Now, there are 2 Oberoi outlets/ASS in Noida: one in sec 1, which is a fairly large but overcrowded facility. They have lots of people, human resource, as we put it. My analysis of the resource breakup:

1) 30% : well dressed ladies, as CRMs, telecallers, executives of the nth kind, etc etc
2) 50% : SA's, what advise they are supposed to give, I am not too sure. Not receptive towards receiving advise as well. A perpetual "busy as a bee" halo around them.
3) 19% : Unskilled workforce: the description says it all, eternally confused, but surprisingly, VERY SINCERE.
4) 0.5% : Skilled workforce; really BUSY and SINCERE. Vaguely knowledgeable but at least, I felt they try to think.
5) 0.5% : Top management

Extremely crowded, drivers, owners, guards, happy cars, new cars, broken cars, mangled cars...not my place.

Sector 63 on the other hand: cosy little place, all people seem to be extremely courteous, I have received very good service and attention all the time, every time. (Now, screws ups are part and parcel of owning FIATS, for which, a forgiving soul that I am, I have never bothered, except that I needed revisits. The issues were finally resolved)
There is Mr.Gopalan, seemingly permanently stationed here. The place to be and it is only 2kms from home.

I had fixed an appointment with "Haribal the SA" and reached the place at 9AM sharp. It was 23rd February. The workshop timings were from 0930 till 31st march, due to harsh winters here. So even as I waited outside, Mr.Gopalan drove in. He greeted me and we exchanged pleasantries and was offered a cuppa. Being a Bong and raised on the best of the shoots from the hills, it is tea made "outside of my kitchen" that I avoid. So I had to politely refuse. But the discussions went on without the fiery cup of tea. Gopalan ji was relieved that it was just a scheduled 2nd free service and nothing serious. Haribal arrived soon after and the job card made, minor issues explained and lo and behold! SIDINDICA arrives in his red Punto. Good I thought, at least the boredom of a typical service day would be over.
Now, Mr Gopalan, was kind enough to offer us both, free access to the workshop. he himself asked us to be near the cars while it is being serviced. There was really no need. I could see from the glass partition that it was going on well. I had asked Haribal to use the 4 liter can of SELENIA and not loose, but I saw the mechanic fill oil from the loose drum. I raised the point and he promptly drained the oil and refilled with a 4L jar. 800mL was returned to me. The service was soon over, I had opted for an underbody coating, but Haribal insisted that we take a test drive with the lead mechanic. We did that, and I felt all issues except the seat rattle fixed. we came back to the ASS and the car went for underbody coating. From BARDAHL HOEC. This is a total SHAM. They use a treatment which comes in a can worth 950MRP. They use some of it and some diluting agent, fill it in a sprayer, hastily coat the underbody and voila! It's done they say : 2000rupees down the drain. This is managed entirely by HOEC staff. Buyer beware. I should have checked, when Haribal suggested it. I had my laptop and 3G data card, but laziness claimed a hefty toll.
The washing was done soon after, a fair job. I proceeded for the invoicing and guess what: their POS terminal doesn't work! I asked the lady to show me the invoice, and there was a glaring mistake: they had VATTED the oil twice and it came to 2400 INR! After the correction, it was much less! It seemed to be a manual error. Done, me and Haribal drove to the nearest ATM to withdraw cash and settle the bills. Sidindica had vanished when I returned. I prepared the gatepass, marked all well in the feedback report and drove off. The bill as follows:

1) oil filter 179.82
2) air filter FIRE8V 210.53
3) FUEL FILTER 450.88
4) WIREMESH FILTER 174.56
5) ENGINE OIL PTL4L 1929.83
6) BRAKE CLEAN 450
7) ALIGNMENT FOC

BARDAHL TREATMENT FOR UNDERBODY WAS A VOLUNTARY WASTE, 2357/-
Rest seems OK.

Now, shocker : when the 4L oil can was returned, it was SELENIA WR 5W40 for diesel which was filled instead of SELENIA K. Now I had gone through this thread, and I thought of sticking with it, several ratings match or overlap. The car runs as usual, no signs of stress or whatever. The clutch is smoother, mileage as good as it can be, a happy car. But

EPILOGUE:
There is an issue which has sprung up. It will require multiple visits, I need to "Fix It Again Tony"....I know, but, that is another post, elsewhere. It will also prove, again, what FIAT build quality means, with pix and testimony from a fellow BHPIAN in the car as the incident happened.

Thanks for being patient. Is there a word limit for posts?

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 17th March 2013 at 11:35.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2013, 04:45   #5670
Senior - BHPian

I went for a test drive last weekend. They (KHT Motors) only had the diesel Emotion for test drive, without any stickering, but it was already registered.

The rear-left door was not closing properly and opened with a loud sound (probably too tight, can be fixed fairly easily if the techs know how). The build is awesome, and the car is as amazing to drive as I've heard it is. One of the few to live up to its reputation of having an awesome ride and handling combination.

I found the fit and finish to be pretty good, and the only two negatives were that the clutch is pretty high. It seems that there is unnecessary travel at the beginning, because it actually engages where one would expect it to were the travel more normal. Got used to it in the (short!) test drive, though, so don't think it will be an issue.

Awesome car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Hi Velu,

The quote you got seems to be incorrect.

The on road price for Punto 1.4 Emotion is -

2012 model - 7.95 lacs (with corporate discount this will go down further)

2013 model - 8.10 lacs (with corporate discount this will go down further)

Do pm me with your contact details, I will help you out.
Thanks again Krishna. I didn't contact you because I haven't been able to have a loan approved yet. The dealer met your quote for a 2013 model, but is giving a pathetic 4k Rupee Corporate "Discount"

Cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks