Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2013, 11:03   #5791
BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

I second kartik's views on using the Jopasu duster for dark colors.

Earlier whenever I washed the Car after couple of days it used to have swirl marks and was very disappointed with the outcome.

Nowadays, based on my observation and experience I suggest you do the following
1. Get Jopasu duster, works good on daily basis to remove the dust.
2. First do a clean swipe with the duster to remove all the upper layer dust.
3. With plain water wash the car.
4. Shampoo it with a proper car wash.
5. Dry with chamois or equivalent cloth.

Now, I observe less swirls and clean shiny surface.

P.S: The color is Paprika Red.

Cheers
MKP
mkpiyengar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2013, 11:36   #5792
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
I am a bit surprised reading about the paint quality. I always thought the paint quality on Fiat vehicles is one of the best. The white Punto looks anything but stunning due to the paint quality and finish.

Hyundai is terrible when it comes to paint quality(personal experience of a red i10 and a maroon i20), Maruti is average, especially prev gen vehicles. I don't know much about current gen Swift, Ritz, Ertiga, but they surely look better than prev gen.
I disagree on the second para. I have a Hyundai Santro Xing 2003 make, & in among my relatives & acquaintances, we have 6-7 more Santros & few i10/i20 & all cars have good paint quality very well, especially the metallic ones. Our experience is the worst with Indicas (eldest BIL's & friend's) & Marutis. The bigger Tata (Safari) has better paint quality.

I would definitely like to upload pic of our cars, new & old, so that you can judge the same & then make an informed opinion. &, I will do the same when I have thread on my car (s).
Old 17th May 2013, 11:41   #5793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
I disagree on the second para. I have a Hyundai Santro Xing 2003 make, & in among my relatives & acquaintances, we have 6-7 more Santros & few i10/i20 & all cars have good paint quality very well, especially the metallic ones. Our experience is the worst with Indicas (eldest BIL's & friend's) & Marutis. The bigger Tata (Safari) has better paint quality.

I would definitely like to upload pic of our cars, new & old, so that you can judge the same & then make an informed opinion. &, I will do the same when I have thread on my car (s).
Dude,

I made my statement based on the 3 Hyundais in my family and extended family.

Also, we are mainly talking about Fiat's paint quality on this thread. We can discuss regarding Hyundai's paint quality on a Hyundai thread, before things go too off topic.

Cheers !
Old 17th May 2013, 13:27   #5794
BHPian

Guys,

Fiat has intiated a free check up camp starting today till 19th May - a very short span though, have a feeling that it might get extented . I just came back from Fiat A.S.S at bavdhan - got my car checked there along with a free body wash interior interior cleaning.

Also, there is
20% off on the labour
10% off on the spares,accessories and merchandise

So, best time to get the cars serviced or do a major job.

Just found the link :- http://www.cardekho.com/india-car-ne...mers-10388.htm

Last edited by scofield : 17th May 2013 at 13:33.
scofield is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2013, 14:12   #5795
Senior - BHPian

The MID in my Punto is occassionally displaying "Airbag failure - check handbook" message. I got it once last Sunday, then again today morning. I couldn't read the full message either time, so today afternoon I tried to reproduce the error by starting the car a few times and it occurred once more.

The message is displayed in the MID just after the car is started and it goes off immediately. No warning lights (including airbag warnings) stay lit after the engine is started.

Based on what I have read on this thread, first suspect is the battery (car is 33 months old). Is there reason to suspect anything else?

Last edited by StarrySky : 17th May 2013 at 14:14.
Old 17th May 2013, 15:00   #5796
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Based on what I have read on this thread, first suspect is the battery (car is 33 months old). Is there reason to suspect anything else?
I had problems like Airbag failure, ABS failure do not proceed!, a lock icon in red and a blinking odometer.

All disappeared when the battery is replaced at 31 months.
Peace.
sandeepmdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2013, 16:39   #5797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scofield View Post
Guys,

Fiat has intiated a free check up camp starting today till 19th May - a very short span though, have a feeling that it might get extented . I just came back from Fiat A.S.S at bavdhan - got my car checked there along with a free body wash interior interior cleaning.
Thanks. Do you have any contact number of the Service Center or a contact person/ Service Advisor?
Old 17th May 2013, 18:07   #5798
Senior - BHPian

The press release transcript/news item announcing the free service camp:
Quote:
FIAT Group Automobiles India Pvt. Ltd (FGAIPL) has undertaken a massive after sales initiative. FGAIPL will set up free mega check up camps at its exclusive dealerships across India in a phased manner and the first phase will begin on 17th May and end on 19th May covering the cities of Mumbai, Pune and Surat.Similar camps are expected to be launched in other cities in the upcoming phases. This move is in continuation with FIAT’s strategy to reach out to a wide base of FIAT customers located across India and reiterate its commitment to the Indian market.

Speaking about the initiative, Mr. Nagesh Basavanahalli, President and Managing Director, FIAT Chrysler India Operations said, “FIAT India is rapidly taking strides to reach out to incumbent and prospective customers. The after sales check up camps are an effective way to connect with our existing customer base of over 2,00,000 and reiterate our commitment to them. Through the check up camps, we will replicate FIAT’s global standards in after sales service in India.”

FIAT excusive dealership executives will contact existing FIAT customers through text messages and e mails to inform them about the camps. The 3 day check up camp in Mumbai will be set up at Balaji Autoworld located at Mohan Mill Compound, Ghod Bunder Road , Thane (West)- 400607, Tel no- 022 65 999999, 98211 92745. FIAT will provide an extensive 80 point check up for all FIAT customers, free top wash, 20% discount on labour and 10% discount on car parts to the customer, a healthy 10% discount on accessories and merchandise. As a part of the first phase, similar camps are also set up in Pune and Surat from the 17th May 2013 to 19th May 2013.
Source: http://www.rushlane.com/fiat-india-o...2W1lJDexfuv.99
Old 17th May 2013, 21:15   #5799
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post
Thanks. Do you have any contact number of the Service Center or a contact person/ Service Advisor?
You can contact Shaunak/Babur/Javed any one.

You can go anytime no appointment needed for the checkup.

Last edited by scofield : 17th May 2013 at 21:16.
Old 18th May 2013, 10:35   #5800
BHPian

I'm pretty much sold on the Punto. So the next question is 75HP or 90HP? My initial understanding was that the extra horses in 90HP are apparent only after 100 kmph and given my driving style i felt 34K extra was probably not worth it. So i test drove only the 75 HP (A mistake in hindsight, i should have test driven both back to back). But i read up a little on VGT and i see people mentioning that drivability in the city is also better with the 90HP? I will test drive the 90HP as well but i'd like to hear from people who've driven both cars a little more. My daily commute (Banashankari to Koramangala via Diary circle in Blore) involves heavy stop and go bumper to bumper traffic in the evening. Would the VGT help? Anything else i might gain with the 90HP?

Also is anyone else negotiating for a Punto right now? I've been offered Free insurance + RSA and a 5K corporate discount. That brings the OTR for a 75HP Emotion to Rs 8,30,000. There's an additional discount of 22K for dec 2012 cars. Has anyone got a better deal?
Old 18th May 2013, 10:48   #5801
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Djinn View Post
I'm pretty much sold on the Punto. So the next question is 75HP or 90HP? My initial understanding was that the extra horses in 90HP are apparent only after 100 kmph and given my driving style i felt 34K extra was probably not worth it. So i test drove only the 75 HP (A mistake in hindsight, i should have test driven both back to back). But i read up a little on VGT and i see people mentioning that drivability in the city is also better with the 90HP? I will test drive the 90HP as well but i'd like to hear from people who've driven both cars a little more. My daily commute (Banashankari to Koramangala via Diary circle in Blore) involves heavy stop and go bumper to bumper traffic in the evening. Would the VGT help? Anything else i might gain with the 90HP?
The VGT 90HP version will accelerate quicker due to lesser turbo lag in the 1500-2000 rpm range. It feels better in city traffic, I am using it everyday from Jayanagar to ITPL in choc-a-bloc traffic and I am quite happy with my decision. Of course, the major perceptible gain of the VGT is in the higher end. I was in a similar dilemma as you last year, and I ended up with the 90HP due to other add-ons that I got with it apart from the 18PS additional power - namely the chrome interior accents, sport pedals, better looking seats, chrome exhaust and red stitching on all the upholstery, gear knob and steering wheel.

Quote:
Also is anyone else negotiating for a Punto right now? I've been offered Free insurance + RSA and a 5K corporate discount. That brings the OTR for a 75HP Emotion to Rs 8,30,000. There's an additional discount of 22K for dec 2012 cars. Has anyone got a better deal?
You could probably post on the new car price check thread. There might be someone else who might give you better information on prices at rival dealers.

Last edited by KarthikK : 18th May 2013 at 10:50.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2013, 11:49   #5802
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
The VGT 90HP version will accelerate quicker due to lesser turbo lag in the 1500-2000 rpm range. It feels better in city traffic, I am using it everyday from Jayanagar to ITPL in choc-a-bloc traffic and I am quite happy with my decision. Of course, the major perceptible gain of the VGT is in the higher end. I was in a similar dilemma as you last year, and I ended up with the 90HP due to other add-ons that I got with it apart from the 18PS additional power - namely the chrome interior accents, sport pedals, better looking seats, chrome exhaust and red stitching on all the upholstery, gear knob and steering wheel.
Thank you. Does the Sport variant get better quality tires as OEM? (I think Sport comes with Apollo Acceleres? Not sure what 75HP comes with).
Old 18th May 2013, 12:14   #5803
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Djinn View Post
Well, we have both the 75HP and the 90HP at home and I have driven both extensively over 25k kms, in the same conditions.

If your driving is majorly within the city, go for the 75HP. It is much better to drive and lower end response is better, in short, it is peppier than the 90HP.

If you frequent the highways often, please please please go for the 90HP. I hate to drive the 75HP on the highways after I got the 90HP, my highway star! You would absolutely love the VGT on the freeways.

The 90HP feels more refined overall though.

WRT OEM tyres, they are not specific to 75HP or 90HP. Both come with Good Year GT3/ Apollo Accelere/ Good Year DuraPlus from the factory in 195/60 R15 size.
DRIV3R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2013, 01:58   #5804
Senior - BHPian

If all goes my way, should be a Punto Sport owner very soon, only thing that worries me is the New Punto Evo expected in 2014. What changes are we looking at in the new car ? Any mechanical changes will make me delay the purchase, changes to interior exterior I don't really care
Old 19th May 2013, 06:51   #5805
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
If all goes my way, should be a Punto Sport owner very soon, only thing that worries me is the New Punto Evo expected in 2014. What changes are we looking at in the new car ? Any mechanical changes will make me delay the purchase, changes to interior exterior I don't really care
shashank, I know you chose the Polo over the Punto a couple of years back. Are you. Any specific reason why you are going for Punto now given that both are in the same segment?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks