Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2013, 12:08   #5806
BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
A couple of pictures would help us.

But just going by what you have written I understand that the mirror is seperated from the hinge(ball) and I feel you need to press the two together harder so that the mirror clips on to the ball
Took the car to the service station, which is nearby, and they rectified it.

I just went over the spares counter and enquired about the Arm Rest, the guy there informed it is 6k. I saw your thread and it was like 4600 in total. Has the price gone up so much?

Also, took the car to trend automobiles. Had dents on both front left and right fenders. Mighty impressed with the results. Now the car is dent free with all OEM paint intact. And the price I paid was 2/10th of what the A.S.S. quoted. Dinesh was very good both on his work and on the way he interacted.
Old 19th May 2013, 12:43   #5807
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post

shashank, I know you chose the Polo over the Punto a couple of years back. Are you. Any specific reason why you are going for Punto now given that both are in the same segment?
Ya had bought the Polo last year but that car turned out to be rather unreliable. Need a hatch for city purposes so sticking to this segment and Punto is top contender
Old 19th May 2013, 14:20   #5808
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
If all goes my way, should be a Punto Sport owner very soon, only thing that worries me is the New Punto Evo expected in 2014. What changes are we looking at in the new car ? Any mechanical changes will make me delay the purchase, changes to interior exterior I don't really care
A recent visit to Fiat A.S.S made me know that they recently laid their hands on EVO gearbox during their training at ranjangao. So we will see it in EVO Punto next year.
scofield is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2013, 16:29   #5809
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Ya had bought the Polo last year but that car turned out to be rather unreliable. Need a hatch for city purposes so sticking to this segment and Punto is top contender
Shashank , what other problems did you face in the recent past with your polo?
Old 19th May 2013, 16:43   #5810
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scofield View Post
A recent visit to Fiat A.S.S made me know that they recently laid their hands on EVO gearbox during their training at ranjangao. So we will see it in EVO Punto next year.
Thanks a lot for the info! Btw, do you happen to know exactly when in 2014 we can expect the Punto EVO to launch ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Shashank , what other problems did you face in the recent past with your polo?
There was a diesel leak yet again! You can read more about it on this thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...el-leak-2.html
Old 19th May 2013, 16:50   #5811
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If all goes my way, should be a Punto Sport owner very soon, only thing that worries me is the New Punto Evo expected in 2014. What changes are we looking at in the new car ? Any mechanical changes will make me delay the purchase, changes to interior exterior I don't really care
Welcome to the dark side of the force! I hope its black again - or red.

Now - visual changes in the Evo - i prefer the good old original anytime! As regarding the mechanical changes - heard 2 versions of the story - that we might and might not be getting the new gearbox. Anyways, Abarth should be getting it for sure - but i have my doubts whether the Evo will!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2013, 17:12   #5812
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Welcome to the dark side of the force! I hope its black again - or red.
Haha! Thanks, but i'm yet to buy one. In retrospect this should've been my first car, but better late than never. And yes its 90% a black except if tuscan wine wins me over

Quote:
Now - visual changes in the Evo - i prefer the good old original anytime! As regarding the mechanical changes - heard 2 versions of the story - that we might and might not be getting the new gearbox. Anyways, Abarth should be getting it for sure - but i have my doubts whether the Evo will!
Even I prefer the present Punto's looks but the interiors in the evo look superb! If at all it gets that gearbox, let alone hatches some sedans will not be able to keep up with the car in the 90HP avatar. So may wait it out if the changes are confirmed.
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2013, 19:58   #5813
Distinguished - BHPian

The current version of the Punto and Linea will not get the C635 gearbox. If at all it comes, expect it with the refreshed/new generation version that will be launched next year.

Abarth definitely will have C635 - 6 speed gearbox as the C530 cannot handle the torque.
nkrishnap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2013, 20:18   #5814
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the info! Btw, do you happen to know exactly when in 2014 we can expect the Punto EVO to launch ?
Mid-2014 from what I know.

Quote:
There was a diesel leak yet again! You can read more about it on this thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...el-leak-2.html
This is really sad news Shashank. How many kilometres have you piled up on the odometer until now? The car was fairly new as I understand.

Quote:
Welcome to the club. If you would like to stick to the Evo version for the sheer reason of having an up-to-date car, I suggest you wait it out for another year. But if the polo has turned out to be a lemon and is causing reliability issues even for regular usage, I'd suggest you pack it off and look for a replacement car asap.

I doubt there would be too many mechanical changes on the Indian Evo. The Evo version is literally the same 'Grande' car with a few improvements here and there, largely cosmetic. It does come with improved interiors though. From what I know, it comes with an EPS and enthusiasts abroad have criticized the loss of that famous Fiat steering feedback on the Evo. If this bothers you, I'd suggest you get the current Sport itself for the legendary man-machine communication.

On a different note, the Evo will definitely not have any discounts at launch time. The Sport could be available for nice discounts thrown in. Get the current Grande version for a killer price, then spend the money saved on sprucing up the interiors, exteriors and the power (remap). If you like, you could always get Abarth stuff from the UK (Fiat tuners' paradise) and bolt them on directly like Hemanth or I did.

Zigwheels seems to think it will be out later this year.
http://www.zigwheels.com/upcoming-la...-launch/15071/

I seriously doubt it, since Fiat is currently focusing only on getting the independent network up and running on its legs. Only Abarth is due in a month or two now. The Evo / new Linea will probably be here only next year.

Last edited by KarthikK : 19th May 2013 at 20:23.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2013, 23:59   #5815
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Mid-2014 from what I know.
That will be too long for me to wait. Especially with the unreliable and dangerous Polo!

Quote:
This is really sad news Shashank. How many kilometres have you piled up on the odometer until now? The car was fairly new as I understand.
I'd clocked 11.5k kms until this happened. After the second diesel leak, its just locked in the garage and the trusty Octy has had to deal with the additional work.

This car is the epitome of un-reliability I guess. My bad luck that I ended up with a lemon, and can't get a replacement now. Don't want to use it anymore,especially considering what happened in Pune with the Vento. The last thing I want is to be stuck in a burning car! Its goodbye to VW for good this time around.

Quote:
Welcome to the club. If you would like to stick to the Evo version for the sheer reason of having an up-to-date car, I suggest you wait it out for another year. But if the polo has turned out to be a lemon and is causing reliability issues even for regular usage, I'd suggest you pack it off and look for a replacement car asap.

I doubt there would be too many mechanical changes on the Indian Evo. The Evo version is literally the same 'Grande' car with a few improvements here and there, largely cosmetic. It does come with improved interiors though. From what I know, it comes with an EPS and enthusiasts abroad have criticized the loss of that famous Fiat steering feedback on the Evo. If this bothers you, I'd suggest you get the current Sport itself for the legendary man-machine communication.
True! That steering is a piece of art really,not just a part of the car! It was quite a revelation for me when I drove the Punto.

Quote:
On a different note, the Evo will definitely not have any discounts at launch time. The Sport could be available for nice discounts thrown in. Get the current Grande version for a killer price, then spend the money saved on sprucing up the interiors, exteriors and the power (remap).
Apparently there are NO discounts on the Punto Sport All discounts only for the Punto 75.

Quote:
If you like, you could always get Abarth stuff from the UK (Fiat tuners' paradise) and bolt them on directly like Hemanth or I did.
Yes that is always an option! And I have you to trouble if I need any help

Quote:
Zigwheels seems to think it will be out later this year.
http://www.zigwheels.com/upcoming-la...-launch/15071/

I seriously doubt it, since Fiat is currently focusing only on getting the independent network up and running on its legs. Only Abarth is due in a month or two now. The Evo / new Linea will probably be here only next year.
Next year mid launch may well get pushed to 2015, I really can't wait that long,however good that gearbox or other changes are. If it was 6 months or so, would've managed with my bike but a year will be too long a wait.
Will get the Punto 90 now, after selling my Polo that is. If the Evo is so good I'll probably upgrade and get disowned at home

Last edited by shashank.nk : 20th May 2013 at 00:26.
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2013, 17:50   #5816
Distinguished - BHPian

Decided to try Vecto Motors for the 2nd year service for my 1.2 Punto since I had already given Concorde Motors a shot and wasnt very happy with the quality of their service. Last year when I gave my car for 1 year service to Concorde, they did not fix the left pulling issue despite me telling them that it was the biggest complaint which I had. I was forced to go back and spend a whole day again with them to get it fixed. This after having escalated it to the CRM head in Concorde. The wall banging smiley doesnt do justice to my frustration levels at that time.

I was given a slot 2 weeks after I called Vecto Motors and on enquiring , I was told that pick up and delivery would be free since it had to be collected from Electronics City which is close to their service centre. When they called to confirm the booking on the day before taking the car, they said that I would have to pay for it. I refused to do so but they said talk to the service advisor and finalize with him.

The car was collected and the SA called me later and said that the usual stuff had to be changed. He tried pushing in a couple of additional things which I asked about and then he said it can be done in the next service as well. I refused to pay for the pick up and drop and finally we settled for giving the driver a tip.

Later I was called and told that the brake pad set had to be changed as it was completely worn out and wouldnt last me till the next service. I had only used the car for 19,367 kms in 2 years and am a very careful driver so I was surprised by the fact that the brake pads had to be replaced so soon. But the SA persisted and even though I was not convinced, I didnt want to take a risk with the brakes so I finally told them to go ahead.

There were a couple of small issues which needed to be taken care of, the light in the rear bumper (for the life of me I cant get the name right now) had worked itself loose and the driver's seat had an annoying squeaking noise. The light has been fixed and the noise had disappeared temporarily but was back within a day.

When the car was returned it was obvious that it hadnt even been washed and they had resorted to just a perfunctory wipe. When I asked the driver who handed the car over to me, I was told that it had got dirty while he was driving from the car service centre to my office

Unfortunately I did not collect the service booklet at that time (totally forgot about it after seeing the bill) and left for the US that night. I had asked my friend to reach out to the SA and get the book handed over to him and had messaged the SA regarding the same. The SA claims that the driver had come twice and called my friend repeatedly and that nobody picked up his call and hence he returned. My friend has a different version of events. Lets just leave it at that. Now that Im back in India, Ive asked them to return my service booklet and take the car to get the really annoying squeak fixed. They have said they will do so on thursday / friday. Lets see how it goes.

The total bill amount came to Rs 10,922 (attaching the bill). The brake pad set was Rs 2873 and fitting it came to another Rs 350. Other items were oil filter, air filter, fuel filter, pollen filter, engine oil, transmission oil, coolant, power steering oil, brake fluid oil, shampoo and consumables. It actually works out to an additional cost of Rs 916 per month over the last 12 months.

Overall, am I happy with the whole service experience - no. Im just grateful that the visits to the service centre are once a year.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-neil.jpg  

neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2013, 18:34   #5817
BHPian

Only two things I didn't like about my Punto was the hefty service bills and the under carraige noice that was never got rectified to my satisfaction in two and half years of ownership. My 2nd Service (+2 Years) bill was 12000 INR(Mine was MJD Emotion pack). But missing every bit of the car even after 6 months, so quite frequently exchanging my Scopio with my friends Punto.
Old 21st May 2013, 18:49   #5818
Senior - BHPian

Guys: How is the new service centre at Chennai - ekkadutangal RDC motors?

Just gave my old friend a call and was surprised to get a service booking slot only for June 03..2013

I hope the service aint as bad as the TASS!!!!
Old 24th May 2013, 15:30   #5819
Senior - BHPian

So the best deal currently on the 90HP is from Aadya Motors, they're ready to give me the following offers:

1.2013 but non-refresh models-15k exchange bonus+25k other benefits, so a total of 40k in savings
2.2013 refresh models-Free RSA and exchange bonus of 15k

So which one is a better pick ? I'm more keen on the 2013 non-refresh since the savings are substantial.
Old 24th May 2013, 15:40   #5820
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So the best deal currently on the 90HP is from Aadya Motors, they're ready to give me the following offers:

1.2013 but non-refresh models-15k exchange bonus+25k other benefits, so a total of 40k in savings
2.2013 refresh models-Free RSA and exchange bonus of 15k

So which one is a better pick ? I'm more keen on the 2013 non-refresh since the savings are substantial.
What warranty are they offering on each . 2 years or 3 years ?
That should be a deciding factor
ms001 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks