Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2013, 08:06   #5926
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

I have the 2009 Punto 1.4 and the airconditioning is pretty good, even in delhi's heat. The trick is to keep the fan speed low, then the cabin will cool faster.
Old 8th July 2013, 08:49   #5927
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadbike View Post
I have a Punto Emotion 2012, the AC is a chiller nearly as good as the Figo's. I think the AC is better in the Emotion variant which has the ACC, and it was one of the improvements they made to the 2012 car (apart from raised suspension etc).
+1 to that. The AC chills the cabin fast enough. I somehow feel the driver side vent with fully turned towards the driver throws cool air when the blower is at 60-75% setting. I wish the old designed vents could be replaced with the 360 degree type vents which I had seen in my earlier Fiesta. That would have cooled the cabin much more faster and at lower blower speeds.
Old 8th July 2013, 16:59   #5928
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Sir, it is not possible to directly measure this on the MID as far as I know. Do you mean Instantaneous consumption figures?? IC display will show a ----- when the car is stationary . If I coast in neutral at say 30-40 kmph (closest to the situation you want to know about), I see the IC fluctuating and settling somewhere between 12 and 14 kmpl with the AC on.

EDIT - litres per hour?? I thought the only units available were km per litre and litres per 100 km.
Thanks, I didn't know that the MID does not show IC figures while idling. While googling found Scanguage II gives this fig in lit/hr http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post168550
it is about .5 to .6 lit/hr on a Peugeot 307 1.6 liter HDi turbodiesel engine with 110 hp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
I have heard from a fellow member on an other forum that the MJD consumes just 570ml of fuel for idling with AC for an hour.

EDIT: Here is a link from T BHP itself.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3061463
How was this figure 570 ml/hr arrived at? And any figures without AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkesh View Post
MID display doesn't show reading on idling but I have read somewhere in teambhp itself that Multijet has lowest fuel consumption that is 570ml of diesel per hour with AC on in idling.
goandude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2013, 17:33   #5929
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
How was this figure 570 ml/hr arrived at? And any figures without AC
I too don't know how they found out the figure. I have read it in one of the threads of tbhp about various niggling linea issues.
Old 8th July 2013, 22:46   #5930
BHPian

My Punto's 2 of the OEM alloys have got more than moderate bends. Do somebody know what would be the starting cost for bend correction (in Bangalore) ? Any feedback/cons also welcome.

Somehow I think that the OEM alloys are not strong enough for the Punto's weight.
Old 8th July 2013, 23:56   #5931
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiny View Post
My Punto's 2 of the OEM alloys have got more than moderate bends. Do somebody know what would be the starting cost for bend correction (in Bangalore) ? Any feedback/cons also welcome.
Normally, it is not recommended to correct bends on alloy wheels, since they will heat the alloy wheel to re-shape it. This will cause it to lose strength in future, and might be a potential safety hazard especially when driving on highways. My 2 cents: just save up and buy new alloys. They are safer and will offer complete peace of mind. Not to forget, going for a new set also gives you the option of experimenting with better looking after-market designs (if you can find good ones in 98 pcd size that is).

In any case, since you asked, A1 tyre centre at Wilson garden (Bangalore) is popular for fixing alloy wheel bends. If I'm not mistaken, they charge roughly 800 bucks or something per alloy to remove the bend and waiting time is typically morning to afternoon.

Quote:
Somehow I think that the OEM alloys are not strong enough for the Punto's weight.
Sorry but I beg to differ. OEM alloys are made as durable as possible with lots of testing and research before the product is launched. Hitting an abrupt pothole at a high speed will exert sufficient shock to cause a bend, irrespective of whether its a Linea alloy or Punto alloy. Normally alloys are very strong and more durable compared to their steel wheel counterparts, but a hard hit at a high speed can bend even the mightiest of alloys, more so if the car was loaded. If you normally travel on very bad roads, after replacing/repairing the alloys you could consider increasing the sidewall height by switching to 205/60R15 tyres to reduce this bend risk in future.

Last edited by KarthikK : 9th July 2013 at 00:03.
KarthikK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2013, 09:18   #5932
BHPian

Do you know where to get a full sized spare wheel (15 inch 98 PCD steel) for the Punto. My friend's 90hp (2013) came with an undersized spare and he is keen on getting one.

My Punto (2012) came with a full sized spare, the local dealer (Mohandas Motors) is unable to source it even after 3 months of ordering it.
Old 9th July 2013, 10:24   #5933
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Normally, it is not recommended to correct bends on alloy wheels, since they will heat the alloy wheel to re-shape it. This will cause it to lose strength in future, and might be a potential safety hazard especially when driving on highways. My 2 cents: just save up and buy new alloys. They are safer and will offer complete peace of mind.
A1 tyre centre at Wilson garden (Bangalore) is popular for fixing alloy wheel bends. If I'm not mistaken, they charge roughly 800 bucks or something per alloy to remove the bend and waiting time is typically morning to afternoon.
If you normally travel on very bad roads, after replacing/repairing the alloys you could consider increasing the sidewall height by switching to 205/60R15 tyres to reduce this bend risk in future.
Thanks Karthik.. that was a good piece of information and advice.

If replacing I will mostly go for aftermarket ones, as the OEM alloys prices are terribly high.

Last edited by Twiny : 9th July 2013 at 10:27.
Old 9th July 2013, 12:50   #5934
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadbike View Post
Do you know where to get a full sized spare wheel (15 inch 98 PCD steel) for the Punto. My friend's 90hp (2013) came with an undersized spare and he is keen on getting one.

My Punto (2012) came with a full sized spare, the local dealer (Mohandas Motors) is unable to source it even after 3 months of ordering it.
I agree. Fiat dealers seem to be facing a shortage of that 15" 98 pcd steel wheel. One of my colleagues recently wanted 15" steel wheels for upsizing the tyres on his Punto Active. After waiting for a month, he finally bought them from that 99rpm website. I just checked on that site now and it looks like they have stock of those 15" rims at the moment. Perhaps you could give that a try rather than be at the mercy of the dealer.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2013, 15:26   #5935
BHPian

Oh thanks for that suggestion. I know it doesn't matter for something as simple as a wheel, but are their parts genuine.

If so I would like to order several things for my car.
Old 11th July 2013, 14:56   #5936
BHPian

FIAT organising service camps again in Noida/NCR. Starts tomorrow, till 14th. At least I received calls/sms from both the Oberoi outlets in Noida.
Old 11th July 2013, 16:45   #5937
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
I have the same "Airbag Failure" message in my car now and the FIAT ASC mentioned that it is due to the battery. They checked the battery and confirmed that it has become weak.

The SA also mentioned that as it gets weaker, I might get the "engine with a lock" warning as well. He also mentioned that if I stop the car (and switch off) for a few minutes after a fairly long run, the car might also refuse to start till the battery cools down a bit. So I guess all your issues are related to the battery.

However, if your car switches off by itself while running, it might be better to get that checked separately.
Hi my punto is 3.5 years old now 17k on the ODO, and I have started to get this warning lights with a lock. It stays on and sometimes it disappears. Also the airbag failure message if I start the car from a differnt key position. Going by the posts, its related to battery. Is there a way to make the battery last a little longer or does it have to be replaced. What is the price of a new car batttery now.
Old 13th July 2013, 00:00   #5938
BHPian

I think you should get it replaced. My Amp once drained my Punto's battery and despite recharging its been giving constant niggles (Airbag failure, refusing to start, the needle dance etc.) till it was finally replaced under warranty.

If you are going in for a new battery then you may get a sweeter deal (in exchange) if your battery is not fully dead.
Old 13th July 2013, 16:17   #5939
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsan02 View Post
Is there a way to make the battery last a little longer or does it have to be replaced. What is the price of a new car batttery now.

Did you ever try to check if the level of water in the battery is optimum? I strongly suggest you do a quick check and a top up, if needed. Have you ever checked it since you took delivery of the car? Punto batteries require "little maintenance" as per the UM, and that really means you need to top it up. (Mine needed top up too; that it was overfilled and acid spill out happened, and corroded the tray, is a different thing ). 5 years of reliable battery operation is not uncommon, though 4+ is a realistic figure, going by various posts. 4-5K is the amount you should expect to pay, and there would be good refund on the old battery.

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 13th July 2013 at 16:19.
Old 15th July 2013, 21:19   #5940
BHPian

Dear all,

Need some advise:

1) there was this service camp last weekend and I had taken my car there. They voluntarily changed rear suspension spring rubber pads. Both were badly worn. After the new one has been installed, the ride seems bumpy(psychological?) and each time I go over bumps, albeit at very low speed, there is a "fok" sound from the rear . No scrapes, thuds or whatever, just the sound. This was absent earlier.

2) i have this persistent rattle, (which seems to emanate from the opposite direction, irrespective of which seat I am seated while trying to pinpoint). It is audible with ac on and windows rolled up. At idling, this vanishes at 1000 rpm onwards, if I press the accelerator. During normal driving it does not go. BUT, today I discovered that if I engage the handbrake more than the 3 notches I normally do, (say 5) the car becomes absolutely silent. No idling rattle at all. What do I need to get checked?

Best regards,

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 15th July 2013 at 21:21.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks