Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2013, 12:00   #5986
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post

I am under the impression that the non-branded units are Blaupunkt-designed and made by Bosch.
We have two cars of 2011 and 2012 vintage. Both have a Delphi HU and I knew the initial batches came with Blaupunkt. Bosch HU is news to me.

Fiat provides a user manual kind of thingy with the new car, and that also has the brand mentioned.
Old 16th August 2013, 17:16   #5987
BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramr9 View Post
Secondly, when slamming both front doors left & right sheet metal shivering noise is heard which is annoying & gives a feeling of a poor quality construction of doors, can we avoid it by doing some internal damping, so the clank is avoided and converted to a thud like how one would experience when slamming a polo or vento's door ?
Note: The Thud is experienced when slammed the door slowly and firmly.
Have not observed this. Doors are quite heavy & always puts a smile on face by the 'thud' every time.
Check if the rubber part is intact & ensure doors are greased properly.

Quote:
The glass also shivers when closed with windows half rolled, any pointers to fix this issue. Tested the same on a polo, no such issues.
Yes, I have also seen this but I hardly roll down windows.
Not sure if something can be done to fix this.
S.MJet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2013, 19:40   #5988
BHPian

Quote:
Secondly, when slamming both front doors left & right sheet metal shivering noise is heard which is annoying & gives a feeling of a poor quality construction of doors, can we avoid it by doing some internal damping, so the clank is avoided and converted to a thud like how one would experience when slamming a polo or vento's door ?
Note: The Thud is experienced when slammed the door slowly and firmly.

The glass also shivers when closed with windows half rolled, any pointers to fix this issue. Tested the same on a polo, no such issues.
The front metal shivering I guess is from the plastic in the door. Specially the power window switch. Try placing a piece of paper in the panel gap b/w the power window switch and the door. This may solve the issue.

But, so far there is no permanent solution to this unless you are able to convince FIAT warranty guys to change the complete panel under warranty.

Cheers
pareshraheja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2013, 20:13   #5989
BHPian

All cars have some amount of differences which are better to be ignored. There definitely is a difference between the so called thud sound of a Volkswagen and a fiat. I was also very particular about such things earlier. Once I drove a swift vDi (35000 odo,2010 model) and my punto (37K run,2009 model) back to back. There were so many rattles and squeaks on swift that I ignored all small things on punto (such as wind noise from mirror at high speeds).
I too feel the doors of punto close with a thud. If the sound is more metallic then culprit could be the weather strip.
Arkesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2013, 13:46   #5990
BHPian

Happened to visit Fiat Caffe few hours ago to test drive the Tjet. I did notice something new with the Punto. The 15" alloys in the Punto now come in a light gun metal shade unlike the earlier silver finish. However, ironically, the few days old Punto 90 Sport comes with the silver finish. Attaching pics of the same.
The red car has the gun metal shade alloys. It's not very prominent in the pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-rsz_20130818_123209.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by srinath34 : 18th August 2013 at 14:00.
srinath34 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2013, 21:53   #5991
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.MJet View Post
Have not observed this. Doors are quite heavy & always puts a smile on face by the 'thud' every time.
Check if the rubber part is intact & ensure doors are greased properly.

Yes, I have also seen this but I hardly roll down windows.
Not sure if something can be done to fix this.
1. I was under impression, doors are heavy as they closed, but after the indica nudged and deformed the internal bracing the right front door, the metal shivering started, i had to get done the door job (includes realigning the internal support beam, spot welding it the door frame and repainting the door.). After that episode the door is never like how it was when it was new,

2. I generally roll down windows daily during cold starts and drive first few kms before turning air con ON, hence could not help it.

3. Off late i noticed the Mutlijet cover a bit loose on the left hand side, and there is play, when i hold it hard in idle there is normal thrum, than when i take off my hand only to hear an extra vibration noise, Is this rubber bush issue solvable with a DIY job.
Old 18th August 2013, 22:07   #5992
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This could be due the glass not properly sitting in the glass guide (rubber type) causing the shivers with weird sort of sound. Fixing the movement in the guide should solve this.

By the way, I am experiencing the same issue with the front left door/glass. Will get it fixed during the 30K service.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2013, 09:20   #5993
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
This could be due the glass not properly sitting in the glass guide (rubber type) causing the shivers with weird sort of sound. Fixing the movement in the guide should solve this.

By the way, I am experiencing the same issue with the front left door/glass. Will get it fixed during the 30K service.

I solved similar issue by spraying the channel guides with silicone spray lubricant. I used CYCLO silicone spray (petroleum free, the butane/hexane is only the propellant which evaporates very fast, so please, no parallel discussion on its suitability ). With the nozzle, spray along the channel in even distances only along the sides. For the top is not required. Roll the window up and down three or four times. Let it sit for a day. repeat again next day. The shuddering problem vanishes.

{A different finding: Instead of paying so much for fancy silicone spray and also searching at a lot many places, it is better to procure the Silicone spray used for plastic moulding industry. It is cheap, available in the industrial market and is high grade silicone, so as to facilitate easy removal of expensive moulds. Available in Chawri Bazar, Delhi.}
Old 19th August 2013, 22:13   #5994
BHPian

New issues come up due to some rough driving+bad roads

Recently i observed that the steering of the Punto was a bit heavier than usual. Also there was a slight noise of the spring every time i turned the steering. A bit of a research on the net showed up the possible culprit: Front suspension top mounts. I guess these need a replacement. Does anyone have an idea of the costs involved.

My 4 year old car has just completed 57k. For the last couple of years i didnt drive it much coz of my job change and my office is hardly 2 kms from home now. Another problem i noticed is a patch of oil on the ground where i park the car. I might have hit something i am not sure, but i kept a close look on the oil levels in the oil container in the engine compartment. Maybe a week ago i saw the level just below the MIN mark indication a possible oil leakage. As of now i have plan to top it up and wait for the confirmation. Can anyone please suggest the oil brand and grade for the top up. I guess i dont want to spend on synthetic because the scheduled oil replacement is on 3k away.

Grounded the car as of now.
Old 19th August 2013, 22:45   #5995
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_myth View Post
Front suspension top mounts. I guess these need a replacement. Does anyone have an idea of the costs involved.
I think these rubber mount parts are named as ELASTIC PAD RH/LH; I got them replaced under warranty; the part cost alone was 2486 *2 (LH &RH)
Old 20th August 2013, 08:05   #5996
Senior - BHPian

When I was driving to Agra yesterday, was on the expressway and I noticed that the steering vibrated pretty badly post 100kmph. Beyond 110, it was scary to even hold on to the wheel. Now I've gone at this speeds before, when the car was relatively new and although there was good feedback, the steering didn't vibrate violently. What could be the issue?
Old 20th August 2013, 08:18   #5997
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
When I was driving to Agra yesterday, was on the expressway and I noticed that the steering vibrated pretty badly post 100kmph. Beyond 110, it was scary to even hold on to the wheel. Now I've gone at this speeds before, when the car was relatively new and although there was good feedback, the steering didn't vibrate violently. What could be the issue?
Get a wheel balancing & alignment done and that will solve the problem.
Old 20th August 2013, 09:52   #5998
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiny View Post
I think these rubber mount parts are named as ELASTIC PAD RH/LH; I got them replaced under warranty; the part cost alone was 2486 *2 (LH &RH)
They cost only 1490 INR a side.

http://www.99rpm.com/front-suspensio...nto-linea.html
DRIV3R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2013, 09:54   #5999
Distinguished - BHPian

The cost of elastic pads have come down, its around 1700 bucks now for one unit. Not too sure if this is incl of tax or not.
nkrishnap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2013, 10:04   #6000
Senior - BHPian

Wheel balancing and alignment should fix this problem , you can choose to get it done at a FIAT workshop or alternatively outside , basis my experience across all my cars i find that third parties such as Bridgestone do a better job than the workshops themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
puchoo is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks