Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2013, 21:44   #6121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
...Projects the wrong image.
I'm nothing if not willing to be corrected. I honestly thought it's the kind of costs most people would incur.

On the positive side, I've probably more than prepared for the next service
Old 24th November 2013, 01:09   #6122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
These are few things I can think of right now!
So tomorrow's visit has been rescheduled for wednesday since the owner had to leave to Chennai.

Meanwhile had a long chat about the car, this is what I got to know:

Car is now at 46k! From 43.5 in the ad
Owner has topped up 1ltr engine oil and is driving around as advised by his mechanic
Minimum expectation is 5lakhs
Says the following will need repaint mostly-Front bumper (half),rear right fender
Only 2 new tyres, which are Apollo acceleres

So i'm looking at close to 20-25k (service+dent removal) after purchase. What worries me more is the attitude towards maintaining the car. Not very confidence inspiring when you drive around long after the service is due.
Should i go ahead with this car or wait? I'm thinking i'll quote 4.8. Only problem with letting go of this car-can't say how long it will take for another one to show up in the classifieds!

Last edited by shashank.nk : 24th November 2013 at 01:12.
Old 24th November 2013, 01:23   #6123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Owner has topped up 1ltr engine oil and is driving around as advised by his mechanic
Doesn't seem to be a healthy sign. Fiat MJDs never require a top-up of that magnitude. Either he is bluffing or something is wrong with the engine. Eitherways, engine oil+oil filter seem to be over their service period.

Quote:
Only 2 new tyres, which are Apollo acceleres
Car seems to be maintained on a shoestring budget.

Quote:
Only problem with letting go of this car-can't say how long it will take for another one to show up in the classifieds!
Are you ok with a TN registered 90HP? I know a Fox Trote Azure one which is on sale. Also a 75HP from KA which has done just 2.5K, owner is selling cos he is relocating out of the country.
Old 24th November 2013, 01:51   #6124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Doesn't seem to be a healthy sign. Fiat MJDs never require a top-up of that magnitude. Either he is bluffing or something is wrong with the engine. Eitherways, engine oil+oil filter seem to be over their service period.
I also think he's not saying the truth. I've followed this car since 2011, not once have I read that owners needed top-up.

Quote:
Car seems to be maintained on a shoestring budget.
Absolutely. Delaying service which is overdue by 2 months, buying only 2 of what is an economy tyre,so many dents left unattended. Just not upto the standards us tbhpians expect.

Quote:
Are you ok with a TN registered 90HP? I know a Fox Trote Azure one which is on sale. Also a 75HP from KA which has done just 2.5K, owner is selling cos he is relocating out of the country.
TN registered car will not be ok. Will probably look at the 75HP one may be, but i'm hoping many more 90HP's will be on sale once the 1.6 Linea is launched sometime in Jan hopefully.
Old 25th November 2013, 16:30   #6125
BHPian

Folks - A quick update. I finally landed up with Punto Emotion 90HP Diesel , Pearl White, last week from Vecto Motors, Bengaluru. Well the least I talk about the dealership experience the better. God bless Fiat !

I have already done over 500kms including one long trip to Mysore. I noticed the following during this highway journey.

1. Sometimes I could hear a sound like "gud gud gud" on Braking. - what is this?

2. I once also heard a metallic "clank" kind of sound from the front, I guess while turning if am not mistaken.

3.The antenna was not able to catch the radio stations. Had to use the buttons for the stations. Even after coming to Bangalore, the same thing happend and I had to restore the settings to default and things were back to normal.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by NFS2024 : 25th November 2013 at 16:32.
Old 25th November 2013, 16:41   #6126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
Folks - A quick update. I finally landed up with Punto Emotion 90HP Diesel , Pearl White, last week from Vecto Motors, Bengaluru. Well the least I talk about the dealership experience the better. God bless Fiat !
I have already done over 500kms including one long trip to Mysore. I noticed the following during this highway journey.
1. Sometimes I could hear a sound like "gud gud gud" on Braking. - what is this?
2. I once also heard a metallic "clank" kind of sound from the front, I guess while turning if am not mistaken.
3.The antenna was not able to catch the radio stations. Had to use the buttons for the stations. Even after coming to Bangalore, the same thing happend and I had to restore the settings to default and things were back to normal.
Thanks in advance.
Congrats on the car.
1. I think you shouldn't go too hard on the brakes for atleast 1000km, there will be a problem only if this continues as brakes need time to break in.

2. A clicking sound if it is one is from the elastic pads, too early for that, mostly it should be a link rod lacking lubrication, I had the same problem when I got my car, not a major problem, a 5 minute job.

3. The antenna is not great, from experience the range is half of what you get in something like the old Fiesta. I could listen to radio past Thoppur towards Bangalore on the Fiesta, the Punto radio picks up only past McDonalds in Shoolagiri, nearly 100km difference.
Old 27th November 2013, 10:49   #6127
Senior - BHPian

Gents, how suitable is a Grande Punto from visibility viewpoint for a shorter person who is 5'5", the reason I ask is that the domed shape of the dash above the instrument cluster and in front of the steering wheel seems to be a significant obstruction hindering clear view of the bonnet and front edges etc.

Ofcourse a test drive will clear up the issue, but even that would not be necessary if the dash were too high or 'in your face'. Please help here.
Old 27th November 2013, 10:56   #6128
Senior - BHPian

Stories, they say, is an integral part of human life. Stories, they say, go down as the greatest chapters in the lost pages of history books. Stories, they say, are forgotten, but rise like a phoenix.

Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-img-325.jpg

Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-img-415.jpg

Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-img-422.jpg

Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-img-424.jpg

Stories, 14 months, 24,500 kms old, are meant to be written. watch this space.
sidindica is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 27th November 2013, 11:02   #6129
BHPian

Quote:
Gents, how suitable is a Grande Punto from visibility viewpoint for a shorter person who is 5'5", the reason I ask is that the domed shape of the dash above the instrument cluster and in front of the steering wheel seems to be a significant obstruction hindering clear view of the bonnet and front edges etc.

Ofcourse a test drive will clear up the issue, but even that would not be necessary if the dash were too high or 'in your face'. Please help here.
I am of same height as you and also an owner of Punto Dynamic (comes with seat adjustments). I don't see an issue with visibility specially with seat height adjusted. The glass areas are more than some of cars in this class, however one do need to adjusted with sloping A pillar.

Please test drive with dynamic or emotions model and decide for yourself
sanstorm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2013, 14:08   #6130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post

I am 5'4" and I will say even with the seat adjusted to its highest position I cant actually see the corners of the car. Yes, its was very odd and scary at first. But give it a few months and you adjust. Also, the car does feel larger than it is, and the corners of the car are very much rounded, so I have always felt my intuition keeping me well withing the limits.

Its only when you try to get into some tight parking spots, that it becomes an issue for me. But over time, I have got the hang of it. In fact, now I dont even keep the seat in the highest position. In the highest position, the view of the instrument cluster gets obstructed a bit for me so I keep the seats a few notches down.
julupani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2013, 20:32   #6131
Senior - BHPian

Friends a slight niggle in my 5k km run Punto (Diesel). For the last 2 days I am hearing a very faint dub dub noise from the front. This comes normally at crawling speeds at times on bumps. Seems like something is loose somewhere. I have observed it more when the rpm is below 1.5k eg. while decelerating to tackle speed breakers or to take turns.

I am not able to place it properly. It started appearing only after the first service was done last Saturday.

Any pointers at what can be the probable cause?
Old 28th November 2013, 13:32   #6132
BHPian

To all Bangaloreans,

Hope some of you must surely have visited Hariprasad Automobiles for you Punto/ Linea repairs. I've too visit there pretty often.

Now my 4 year old car has done 62K + kms, with a heavy clutch, its high time for a replacement.

1. How do you suggest I get my clutch replacement done @ Hariprasad. how much complexity does it involve? or is it better to visit the FASS?

2. Does clutch replacement involve a engine oil change also? If so then I would want to get my regular service done along with it.
Old 29th November 2013, 11:25   #6133
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Today morning when i started my car it gave me 2 errors :

1. Airbag Failure, see Handbook
2. An Engine Lock symbol (pic attached)
Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-punto-error.jpg

Is there something i need to get checked in particular?

Regards,
Old 29th November 2013, 11:42   #6134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post

Is there something i need to get checked in particular?

Regards,
Yes, your battery health.
DRIV3R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2013, 11:54   #6135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, your battery health.
And the price of a new battery, pref. Amaron

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com